Chapter IV: A Wedding and a Natural Life
70 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was not long in the pass of time that Ordon had its own ranch. For Lon Lon Ranch had branched out in expanse of its trade and franchise as business had thrived. While the ranch of Lon Lon focused on stock of dairy and breeding equine, Ordon Ranch focused on stock of goats and boarding equine. Malon's visiting relationship had grown very close indeed. So close, in fact, that it was not long after that that the mayor, Mido, had proposed to the red headed mistress in marriage. And as speechless as Malon was, she was blushed as red as her hair. As could easily be supposed, that was indeed a "yes" which she confirmed verbally right after.

As for Link and Saria, they had for the most part been the same in their attendance to each other and their time spent with their friends. But then came a day when Link and Saria went to revisit the temple of the forest. At first, Phaelon joined them in tagging along as they made their way through the Lost Woods. Link was wearing his Kokiri garb as well was Saria. He began to climb, and the green head commented, "What happened to ladies first?"

But when link got half way, he stopped and reached out to her as well as replied, "I am now simply in position to give you a foothold as I help you up over me." She gripped his hand and arm as he hoisted her up to him when she climbed on ahead, and he followed.

"Well, thank you my sweet knight." She mischievously stated, and he glared at her in awkward humor,

"How long are you going to keep calling me that?"

But she teased him further, "I guess I could call you my dear Hero."

The 'young man' paused in a moment of silence as he merely stared at her, and then he sighed as he began to stir, "Alright! You win my lady." And then Saria just grinned victoriously. They stood still in remoteness before the entrance to the temple, and they both began to breath heavily. After all, this was their first visit to it since the change of times, and that was in a different 'past'.

The Hero led forth as the green maiden followed. The Forest Temple appeared as it did in the days before with cracked wooden doors, weathered stoned walls, and a multitude of undecorated grass, moss, and vines. In exploration of the temple, there was an empty silence within the halls and chambers. When they came to the main hall, there were four colorful torches that enlightened the chamber. They each gave their own accent in glow as the room challenged them with its enveloping darkness. Before them stood a mysterious elevator of red birch. They did not take its path as it descended to a dark place that only recalled of horror and shattering hearts. So, they continued to see the place as they walked from room to room, and there were two gardens outside amidst the temple.

Eventually, they had seen all, but then they came across a passage that was missed. It led through another hall of shadow until light from outside was seen in shining upon the opposite doorway. "This place actually has a back door?" Saria voiced in wonder. But as they stepped forth, it was another garden enclosed from the world except the heavens. But unlike all else, this place fared well and was exceedingly fair with wild flowers, and yet it had tamed roses and violets as well. In the center sat a simple pool of water which seemed like a vessel of light as it reflected the sun.

Both of them were struck with simple awe as the sun light showered the crowns of their heads. Link broke the silence, "I've never seen this place before."

"I didn't know about it either." Saria replied. So, they walked around and browsed the simple beauty that lay before them. Then Link observed a special green flower that stood all alone. It was a fragile and delicate beauty as its petals lay forth in similitude to that of the silent princess save its markings were different. The petals were splayed in dark green while their tips were golden, and except for the pollen, the core was splendidly silver. He was unfamiliar with it as he enquired of it from Saria. "That is the 'whispering maiden'." She answered and then continued to elaborate, "And there is a similar flower in the castle known as the silent princess. Their similarities is why I was so enamored of the flower of the castle when I saw it. ... the whispering maiden is also rare and it is very delicate in its growth and reproduction. To domestically attempt to harness them in growth is fatal for them. The silent princess, as I have recently learned, grows in the wild along the land here and there as it awaits in silence for one to take notice of it and care for it. But the whispering maiden is settled in one place alone, the Lost Woods, and there it remains in content as its friend, the wind, gives it voice wherewith it whispers to the ears of all who have ears to hear. But when the wind travels and leaves to many places, the maiden fades as it drowns in sorrow of loneliness. Yet then the wind returns to it in its faithfulness, and the maiden revives as if in glowing joy. However, the life of both are temporal, and when the wind dies, the maiden withers." She was then downcast almost as if filled with an emotion shared with that of the story of the flower.

Link plucked the whispering maiden and gave it to her, and she accepted it gratefully. "Remember the time when we were children and you would be the knight in rival of the great Mido as I stood the helpless maiden upon the hilltop?" Asked Saria to which Link nodded with a cocked head as he recalled of it in partial memory, and thus he relived it as Saria told it. "You battled over me with sticks. The fuss of it was bustling as you switched, kicked, and wrestled each other. ... I was so excited, so I found a flower on the hill that caught my heart, and I was going to pick it to give in grace to the winner. But before I did, your fuss had made it over to me and you fell over and squashed it." In hearing it, Link cringed and Saria giggled before she continued. "As you were both guilty, Mido ran off embarrassed as if to shed the blame upon you. And while you had at first pouted as if your day had just ended in ruin, you then manned up and courageously told me how sorry you were. But then you left for a time feeling ashamed before returning to me at another time."

And then in indication of the whispering maiden, Link replied, "It seems that I have finally amended that."

Then she smiled, "Indeed you have."

After that, Link's breaths took greater lengths and became heavier. "You have always been there for me." he said, "You and the Deku Tree raised me. You've lifted me up so many times when I was ever so down, for it always bothered me so to know that I belong here with the Kokiri. The idea that Mido could be right was always earth shaking for me. ... But then the adventure came and as it turned out, Mido was right as I am Hylian. My adventures rarely afforded me the luxury of time to think of it as much I would had otherwise, and for a part, that was a saving grace. But that truth tore into me deeper than anything. ..." He sighed heavily, and blushed even as his voice croaked a little as he managed to continue, "That day when everything changed, I had realized something that was ever so in my heart. ... For in leaving, it almost broke me as I was leaving my whole world behind. I was leaving you behind, for you are my whole world. A world I could come home to. ... I love you Saria, I always have. ... But being Hylian, I didn't know what to do, or how I stood. ... You were the world I had to come back to. But I couldn't come home as I was sent away. Yet when I did come back to settle, the fact remained that I was Hylian and you were Kokiri. ... But now you're Ordonian, and you've grown. So, now I can finally ask what I have desired to ask for so long. ..." His breath almost stopped as he paused with his irises locked with hers, and his face was beet red as he continued to ask his so desired question. "Will you marry me Saria?"

Saria was speechless and her eyes never left his. To say that her heart had stopped was to state it mildly. So long she had waited for this moment that she no longer knew how to respond. But then as the reality had sunken in, she smiled in a glow that was brighter than it ever was, and her green irises graced his compassionately. "I have always waited on you. For while I was content to remain in my place here in the forest, you were always my whispering wind. Your tasks and convictions took you away to so many places, and in your absence, I faded. But my whispering wind always returned, and so I live and grow. ..." Tears were emphasizing her joyous face, "You are my whole world as well, and I love you. ... Yes, my dear Link, Hero, and Knight, I will marry you." And at that, for the first time, Link's smile outshined Saria's which was thought to be impossible.

They had embraced each other in a dear hug with tears that showered upon their green garbs as sweet rain drops on leaves. When they hugged, they noticed Falith, for the green fairy was no longer so as she appeared to be a naturally red fairy. "Is something wrong?" asked Link, but she shook in a nay.

Then Saria took turn to ask, "Are you angry?"

But Falith almost snapped at the absurdity, "No!" She paused and then sarcastically elaborated after she took a deep breath. "Fairies blush too okay?!?"

To which Saria startlingly exclaimed, "Oh!" And then they both, Saria and Link, fell into laughter.

So, then came the day that Link and Saria were wed. It was a bright day of spring, in the sacred meadow, with a radiant sun and colorful clouds. Among those present was Queen Zelda and King Daphnes Hyrule, Mairus was there in escort of their majesties as the company of soldiers remained behind in Ordon. Also the sages: Rauru, Impa, Nabooru, Darunia, and Ruto were there. Phaelon was there and kept the mischievous spirits of the woods at bay. And of course all of the Ordonians were there, and instead of wearing their casual Ordonian attire, they were all adorned in fashion of their old Kokiri garb prepared just for the occasion. For this was to be officially the one and only "Kokiri Wedding"

Saria had requested that Mido should give her away. "I would feel out of place." He had said with a head bowed in shame.

But Saria had gracefully answered with compassion, "You had had your faults and errors Mido, and I am glad to see that you have learned that. But you have grown and truly proven yourself a leader as the mayor of Ordon. The Great Deku Tree, as a passing father, is not able to give me away, and I believe that he would agree with me to have the Great Mido, in honor, to give me away." And she gave him a kind smile. Then he smiled confidently in return and accepted the role.

Zelda and Daphnes were the maid of honor and the best man. The groom and bride were a bit timid in making the request, but the king and queen were overjoyed to take part in such a role.

As for Fado, he officiated the wedding, and so was Link, the Hylian and adopted Kokiri, the Hero of Time, and Knight of Ordon wed with Saria, the Ordonian and former Kokiri, former Sage of the Forest, and Lady of the Wood. And when Fado had pronounced them husband and wife, upon the strike of the kiss, announcements, and parties, the Ordonians carried such festivities in fun and dance that only a Kokiri could kick to.

So came days of great joy for the Hero, and he and Saria were quite settled in their quaint little tree house. Aside from his knighthood, Link aided Ordonians in every trade of the village, and Saria kept sight of the village, forest, the Lost Woods, and the woods of Faron as well as she kept house at home. With Saria, in Ordon, with a life of simplicity, Link was at peace, and he was content. However, in view of his considerable long life, Link was still, in his own character, very solemn and quiet while yet Saria brought his deadened face to life with her playful smiles, bad jokes, and optimistic nature.

A few years passed, and Saria conceived and carried their child in a moment of such joy that all past horrors and sorrow were but a thing of forgotten reflection. They were full of anticipation as they dreamed of spending time with their child in play and how many adventures they would have together. And nostalgia came to them as they remembered their own days together as children, and they blushed in recollection of their bond and frolicking play.

One day, out of merriment, Link sat himself thus on the stump of the meadow, he was wearing his Kokiri garb, and he played on his fairy ocarina. Unlike other times, he was not playing one of the many songs he had learned in older days, but he played in his own composition, Link's song. Like Saria's song, it was merry, light, and traveled to many places of the given notes, but when Saria's was like that of a dancing tree in the wind, his was like a wind that danced in the trees as all trees answered its merriment in a like dance. But to Link's surprise, when he had ended and opened his eyes, before him stood a whispering maiden that had grown in the awakening of his song. He smiled and plucked it as he brought it home to his lady. But as he wished to keep the song a surprise for their soon to come anniversary, he simply told her that he had found it in the wood. And Saria's emerald irises sparkled in delight.

Thus fair lived the knight and the lady as they took breath together in a 'natural life'

How would you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
1