Chapter VIII: The Fall of a Hero and an Era’s Ending
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Knight was brought home upon the eve of the battle of Eldin Fields. As they crossed the bridge, a couple of fairies approached, and the scarecrows of Phaelon's came forth in ward of the bridge's access. At length, Phaelon stood forth upon the bridge where he did not recognize the knight that was carried in the night's darkness.

"Who stands to approach Ordon in times of war?" The skull child demanded.

But Impa quickly answered. "We are Shiekah, soldiers, and knights of Hyrule, and we bear the fallen Hero, the Knight of Ordon, from battle. ... Please!! We must be quick if he is to have chance of survival!"

"Link!!" Tatle and Tael cried out in unison, and they both buzzed off quickly to fetch Saria. Phaelon instantly relieved the soldiers as his scarecrows bore the Hero to his home, and the Shiekah and Hylians followed hastily.

The soldiers stood guard by the ladder's foot while the blue knights stood likewise by the door upon the balcony. Inside, the Shiekah dismantled Link's armor and begun tending him with what they had.

It was not long before Saria came in with Falith at her side, and Tatle and Tael were just behind with Phaelon at the door. In her arms, she bore a new born son. Then when she saw Link, her breath almost stopped, her eyes were full of tears as if to rival Hylia Lake, and she was deathly quiet. She took notice of the Shiekah and she listened to them, but Saria gave no response aside from her silence. Tempa took the child in relieving the Lady of the Wood as she took in her grief. Saria was uncharacteristically quiet. And so she sat beside him over the days that followed. Though she ate little for the child's sake in feeding, she never moved from his side, and she never said a word. Occasionally, Saria took his ocarina as she held it in his hand.

Days passed over time when eyes eventually blinked open. Link felt very miserable and weak, but his eyes had awakened in their light of life. The first thing he noticed was a warm illuminate light as that of a dawning morn, and then he recognized the ceiling. It was his house. Then he began to turn his neck a bit, and he noticed Saria asleep at his side with her head snugged upon him. Falith was nestled in her emerald hair while Saria's hand was laid upon his with his ocarina. A warm passion returned to him at the sight, and he sighed. Then he turned to the rest of the house as standing before him was both Mido and Fado. They were smiling to see him awake. "Hi..." Link managed a voice, and Mido simply nodded whereas Fado replied.

"Hello Sir Knight. ..."

Link sighed, and then enquired. "What have I missed?"

Then Fado nodded in submitting acknowledgment. "After you fell, so did the battle in Eldin fields. Thus, Ganondorf brought the battle to the city and the castle. ... Queen Zelda, just as you said, knew what to do. For she evacuated the people out through secret passages, and withdrew the army into hiding as she drew the enemy in. When they took the bait, she took them at unawares. Consequently, the castle was demolished and the city was laid desolate."

Fado paused as he allowed that information to sink in, but then he continued as Link's questions obviously persisted in his features. "Ganondorf tried to force his way into the Temple of Time to gain access to the Triforce. So, he destroyed the Temple's structure." Link's eyes widened in question and shock as he cocked his head, and Fado continued. "He failed, for the destruction of the temple tore time and space, and so it moved to the Lost Woods. ... Phaelon has found it. It lies in the woods in place of the Forest Temple at the Sacred Meadow." When Fado saw Link's questioned look when he mentioned that the Forest Temple had been removed, he elaborated on it. "Rauru explained it to us. ... Since the destruction, the Chamber of Sages has been disbanded as have the traditional offices of the sages. ... I think it will be best if I came back to that. ... But as for Ganondorf, he was faint and spent in seeing his desire turn to despair before him, so I managed to wrestle him down, in that moment, and capture him."

Fado paused as he again allowed the moment to digest before he continued. "While the battles took place in Hyrule, Nabooru and the faithful Gerudo defeated the Rova sisters, and they demolished the temple of the desert. Afterwards, Nabooru's daughter and their people fled to the divers parts of the desert to escape their past and its memories. It is said that they will perhaps return someday when the sorrow and the pain is forgotten. Nabooru, being the sage of spirit, has remained however. ... Hyrule has built in the temple's place a prison for the Gerudo to be held captive for their crimes. And the sages manage it. ... A relic that Zelda had brought forth from the deep hidden artifacts of the caverns is used there. It is a mirror, though I do not know what it is called. I do not fully understand its function, but my understanding is that it is an entrance to another world or realm that parallels in reality with ours. With it, those who are found guilty of war crimes against the innocent are banished through the power of the mirror. ... As for Ganondorf, he was tried and sentenced for execution. ..."

Fado paused again, and he hesitated. Mido stepped out so they could could converse alone. Link looked on Fado in wonder, for he saw that his brother in arms was uncomfortable. "What happened?" Link asked with a sense of dread and foreboding.

Fado sighed, and then he told him. "The sages gathered in the mirror's chamber to carry out the execution themselves. Rauru was selected to do the deed, and he bore a sword of angelic light that he and the sages of old had forged. And so he did do the deed." He paused again, and Link's breath stopped as he felt terribly heavy in the suspense, then Fado slowly told him. "But when Ganondorf was thought to be dead, the Triforce of Power illumined its sign upon his hand, he laughed out in his new awakened power, and as he freed himself from his bonds, he slew Rauru in taking his blade."

"Ganondorf was changed dramatically from his awakening. Instead of the cunning, sound, and subtle tyrant we knew as Ganondorf Dragmire, he was now moved to insane laughter. They said that he seemed both angry and joyful, for though he did not have the full Triforce, he did have the Triforce of Power. And now he seemed not as the man that we know, but as a wild monster. Gleaming in yellow eyes, he is now wreckless, desperate, and raging like a madman." Fado stopped for a moment, and then continued, "The sages, not knowing how else to act, hastily banished him through the mirror. Of note, they said that the sword had vanished with him. ... But coming back to the sages, they have receded their old offices as they now guard the mirror and its entrance to the other world."

Link responded with a blank expression upon his face, and he remained silent for a solid minute. But then he eventually spoke solemnly with understanding. "He was different because that is not Ganondorf, but rather that was Ganon." Link said at length, and Fado looked on him in question, and Link explained. "Ganondorf is the man, Ganon is the monster, his spirit. In the other time you and few others know of, I fought both. ... Ganondorf accessed the Triforce and received the Triforce of Power. But when I faced him, Ganondorf was still Ganondorf, and in the might of the Triforce, he was cunning and sharp as he was terrifying. Yet after the battle, he did not die, but his spirit took over as the monster Ganon was born. ... Ganon, as you described, was wreckless, foolhardy even, and all he desired was destruction. ..." Link paused as he looked to his friend before continuing. "It seemss to me that when Ganondorf was, for the most part, in control then, Ganon is in control now. ... But how does he have the Triforce?" Link paused again in silence as a tear dropped over face before he finished. "I don't know. ... Apparently, as it sounds from your tale, he was as surprised as are we. ... I had come back in time to prevent just that. ..." He smirked, "A petty joke of nature on us all."

Fado nodded to that, "The sages have said the same. As for Queen Zelda, she has said nothing on the subject."

And Link sighed, "Yeah."

Saria began to stir, and Link gave his full attention to her. Their irises locked, she smiled, and just before he could say anything, she nestled onto his neck in a tight embrace. Her tears poured, and Link managed a soft comment, "I told you that I would return."

And she nodded into his chest before she rose to look at him. "As the Hero of Time, you're too stubborn to die in battle." She smiled, and he responded with features in kind.

Then Saria recalled something of utmost importance, and she quickly walked over to a cradle that Fado and Mido had prepared. She fetched up the babe who was just waking up, and she brought it over to Link. Her smile was at its brightest as she observed Link's face. And Link was dumbstruck while his eyes were ever focused on the bundle in her arms. He looked up to her for confirmation that he wasn't dreaming, and she nodded before commenting. "He is your son."

Then Link's eyes returned to the child as his irises beamed in joy as if they were reflections of the Triforce themselves. His smile grew to a great crescent as if they were striving to reach his ears. "What is his name?" He asked with his mind in absent.

Saria giggled before she replied. "Did you think that I was going to name him without you? ..."

Then Link shrugged to his awkward moment, "Well, I guess it's time to name him then." He looked to her, "What do you think?"

But Saria just raised her brows, "What do You think?"

Link shrugged and grunted, "Let me think." So, while he thought, Saria laid the babe in his arms as he lay, for he was too weak to actually hold him. "Customarily, I think it would be ideal to name a child after one's parentage and lineage." Saria nodded as he continued, "However, I never knew my parents, and neither do you actually have parents aside from the Great Deku Tree. But he never informed us of having an actual name. ..."

"Why not name him after you? ... Link Junior? Link the Second?" Saria injected, and though Link shook his head, he seemed to light up with an idea.

"How about we name him after us? Both of us?" He said, and then he suggested, "Sarick? ... That name sounds the best for combining our names."

Saria felt almost reluctant for being honored so, though it did make her feel very warm. But she also saw how the name settled well with Link quite excitedly. So Saria nodded gently with a warm smile, and she answered softly. "Alright."

Then feeding time came, so Saria took Sarick up with a towel to cover herself. And she sat aside to nurse the baby boy.

Before long, Link enquired of Fado about the matters of Hyrule. So, Fado explained the updates. "The Castle is being redesigned as it undergoes construction from its very foundations, and the town is being rebuilt as well as expanded upon. There will be three gates now. The Zora are doing well in their new domain in Hebra, and Hylians have built Kakariko anew upon its now scorched terrain. The Gorons helped and they also helped in cleaning the fields. They found your bow, and if you desire it to be returned hither, I can call for it. "

Link shook his head, "Let them keep it until a son of my line comes to claim it."

"Very well," Fado nodded, and then he continued. "As for the Shiekah, they are doing well, and Impa's daughter, Tempa, is alright in leading their tribe in their hidden village near Hebra."

Link nodded, "It is good." And then he turned to Saria as she now stood with Sarick in her arms, she was beautiful as ever in her green gown. "It won't be long my love before we'll be living life with our child. ..." He told her, but he stopped as her smile, however warm, had faded into features of solemn sorrow. Confused, he looked to Fado who was also solemn and grave.

Then after awhile, Fado spoke. "When you were brought in from the battle, Impa and Tempa tended you as they might to hold you until a physician could see you. Since then, a physician from the city came, he did what he could. ... But there wasn't much he could do. ..."

Then Saria spoke, "Falith, Tatl, and Tael tried to see what they can do..."

And as she trailed, Falith calmly injected, "Like physicians, there is only so much fairies can do, and..." She paused chokingly, and then went on, "...and while we bought you time, it ... it wasn't enough. Not even a Great Fairy could heal you fully to survive." Saria nestled Sarick back into the cradle then.

And as Falith finished speaking, Link's eyes closed gravely, and tears came forth despite how much he fought it. But those tears were not for him. Eventually, he nodded, and he thanked Fado and the fairies. "Thank you for what you have done, and thank you for telling me. While it wasn't easy, I needed to know."

As Link was alone with Saria, they stared at each other for what seemed an eternity of thoughts as memories and emotions played in their shared moment. Then Saria embraced him tightly again as so did he embrace her, and they both wept and remained so for the remainder of the day.

It was not long before the physician informed them that the end was near. And Link could not bear to be cooped on his bed as he drew his last breaths. So, they brought him through the Lost Woods to the newfound ruins of the Temple of Time in the Sacred Grove.

Everyone who actually KNEW the Hero was present, including Daphnes and Zelda with their son, Vairon, the sages, Phaelon, Mido and Malon, Fado, and the other Ordonians. Saria stood dearly at Link's side as she held Sarick.

There upon the ruins of the temple, stood the Master Sword in its pedestal before them all. Link attempted to stand, and, having just enough strength, he managed to stand for the moment. So, he stood before the Master Sword, and in a moment of life's flash, the Hero faltered in regret. He came down, and Fado caught him as he held him up in seat as his attention was still given to the blade.

'It was all my fault...' Link thought to himself. 'I came back in time to live a life and to stop him. ...' His thoughts paused for a moment, and he went on. 'I am grateful for what life I've had, but I feel that it was all for nought. ... I reported him in hopes to stop him. I left for Termina in hopes that he would never achieve attaining the Triforce. I came back believing it. And even now, I couldn't end it.' The gears turned in his head. 'And so now, we, my heir, and the children of Hyrule will have to bear the consequences of my failure. And I will not even be able to prepare my child, my heir, when his turn comes to right my wrongs. ... It was all for nought.'

Link sighed and breathed deeply, and Saria, perceiving his spirit of thought, tried to detract him from such thoughts. So, she spoke of Sarick and his coming days of youth as a child, she spoke of what Link and Zelda had discussed upon their last meeting, how Sarick and Vairon would visit and play together. And while she talked of childhood and youth, she recalled to him the days of their childhood.

In Saria's light, Link smiled, and as he looked upon her green irises with his blue, he said in a word of closure, "Thank you so so much ... for loving a fairyless boy." And his tears were both sweet and bitter, and her green eyes matched his. Then to his last request, Saria played her song for him.

At first, in thought of those such bright days of delight, she played fast and giddily as she ever had. And in the notes, they not only carried the voice of the instrument, but they carried her own voice as well as her voice sung the lyrics. Yet then it came to fade into a slow rhythm as that of a waltz. Now, it carried a spirit of melancholy, romance, and nostalgia.

When she finished, he mouthed a silent 'thank you', and then the light in his eyes faded. His body rendered lifeless, and Fado laid him down as he stood back while he dramatically looked on the body of his friend. So ended the life of Link and the era of the Hero of Time.

The Master Sword responded as it gave a shine of blue light that illumined itself upon the Hero, and it gave a whistling sound in a lamenting voice.

Moreover, the fairies of the wood gathered about them and his lying corpse as they showered the grove with many colors. Even the fairies of the afore Kokiri, the Ordonians, enjoined. Then they flew in lamenting and dancing patterns in honor of the fallen "boy of the forest", and then they died down to ground as they encircled the entire grove. Their enlightened figures dimmed, and for a moment there was silence and mourning. Yet, there also was solace. Then after a half of an hour had passed, they rose in their dimmed stature, and they left, all of them. And so the fairies were rarely seen thereafter.

After returning from the woods, the Ordonians returned to their homes, and the village would remain silent, for most part, for sometime. The sages and guards went first, Mairus and the vanguard escorted the body of the fallen Knight and Hero, and their majesties: Daphnes, Zelda, and Vairon, lingered to the back of the company. And Saria followed with them to the borders of Faron. As for Sarick, Malon watched over him as she took him in care until the time came for Saria to come for him.

While on their road, Zelda took notice of a light spirit that had come to Hyrule, one which came now to Faron. Zelda, alone, approached the spirit at its spring wherein it abode, "Servant of Hylia, as a daughter of the goddess, I call upon your conference." And when she spoke, the spirit arose from the water as if the spring itself had given birth to it.

"Your majesty, I am come." It said.

And Zelda nodded gracefully, "Thank you, ... I come to enquire of the reason for your arrival."

The spirit stood indifferent, and it answered. "I, and my brethren, come as a dark spirit has awakened. Though he has been banished to the realm of Twilight, his presence and dark power covers the nature of this world. His era remains. We have come to watch over the lands and provinces to maintain them from his influence as we might."

But Zelda was perceptive, and pressed a question further to the heart. "I sense that you mean to protect more than just the land of light. ... There is something you are hiding, isn't there?"

The spirit gave a slow and patient nod before it replied, "There is an ancient power that was broken into shards, and thus the pieces were hidden. In Ganondorf's wake, he will eventually stir the hearts of the people who are like banished as he. The realm of Twilight is a world of banishment that holds away many things, but the relic of the Triforce of Power, it cannot bind. Even so, as Ganon learns of its full power, he will return, and thus he will open a door for the Twili of that realm. If the power I speak of is recovered in the wrong hands, it will prove to be a great threat, though it be a lesser threat than he who bears the Triforce of Power."

"I understand." Zelda responded, but then she thought to enquire of the spirit in a more personal matter, "What shall I call you?"

"I had a name once." It said, "You knew me as Kaepora." Zelda's eyes widened in hearing that, and the spirit continued. "Do not be surprised, as a servant of Hylia, my task merely changed. ... There is another of my brethren who you had known, and he is the most experienced of us. Hapora abides now in Lanayru." Then she was in shock with her mouth dropped. "There are two others, I have quite forgotten their names. ... Let us be named after our provinces of watch. ... You may call me Faron."

Zelda nodded calmly in response, "Very well. ... Where do the other two reside?"

Faron turned north east as he spoke, "One abides in Eldin. ..." Then he turned to the south, "The other abides in my watch, but he watches Ordon more closely, for he will watch over the heir of the Hero of Time. Ordona will watch for his true successor to rise with the spirit of the Ancient Hero."

"Then his successor must represent him well, as it his role that he will be completing." Zelda said, and then she beckoned Saria over. And when the Lady of the Wood came, she was in awe as she beheld the great spirit. Zelda stood indifferently and requested Link's Kokiri garb wherewith he had fared in during his journeys. Saria cooperated as she went to send for the garb. Then when it was brought, with Saria's consent, Zelda gave it to the spirit, "Then take this, and when he, who should succeed his role should rise, please give this to him."

Faron stared for a moment as he gazed upon the tunic. "I will keep this gladly" He said at length.

Afterwards, Zelda bowed, "Thank you. ... Now I bid you farewell as we have the dead to attend."

So, they walked back to join the company, and as they did, Zelda noticed another sight that she found to be both utmost fascinating and a bitter truth. For she saw a golden wolf astride in gaze over them, and it seemed almost spirit and almost real. It had one red eye, and the other was void. The queen nodded to him with a sigh as she understood, and she now experienced a new plight of sorrow overtake her as she perceived his curse and grief.

Saria did not see him, but as she was connected with the forest, she was aware of him. And she knew him. He, however, was not aware of her observance, and wished to remain oblivious to her in his accursed state.

The funeral was held at the newly built Hyrule Castle, and the people mourned for the fallen knight. However, aside from being the knight of Ordon that stood alone in challenge of the dark lord, the people did not know him for his person. They did not know WHO he was. He was laid in his armor in burial below the shadow of a great oak tree in remembrance of his home of the forest. Upon his chest lay his sword, and in his hands, upon his breast, was the fairy ocarina that Saria had given him so long ago. What was the garden that Link, Saria, Zelda, and Daphnes had visited in, years before, was now a cemetery of the palace. Upon his stone was written, "The cursed swordsman...sleeps before...the sacred tree." It was not done in scorn of him, but on the contrary, in view of so much he had sacrificed in battle to fall under such darkness, those words carried an expression of honor, lament, sorrow, and pity.

Upon an evening after, as Zelda visited the castle's cemetery, she saw the golden wolf in seat while gazing upon the grave. So, she approached him, and as he observed her presence, he shifted upon a flash. Then before her stood in spirit, Link, the Hero of Time. He seemed flesh in one moment, and in the next moment, he seemed to be standing in his bare skeleton. He was tall in stature, clad in his armor of knighthood, and his single eye shined red.

Zelda wept, and in a choking voice, she spoke. "Beloved Hero, why will you not rest? ... You should be at peace. Why do you linger?"

But he simply replied, "I cannot rest and I do not have peace." He paused and sighed, and then he continued. "My problem, Ganondorf, lingers. And upon my failure is it so."

But Zelda shook her head in counter. "He is more than we understood nor could perceive. ... We were naïve to think that the Triforce was bound to time as us, and we were likewise naïve to think that we could keep it from him. ... His spirit resides as an evil far greater and more ancient than either of us could have anticipated. ... His spirit, Ganon, is born of a fiery malice of the old Demon King, Demise, the arch enemy of Hylia in the days of old. ... Ganondorf, the Gerudo, is an incarnation of that spirit. He was born a man, but as his spirit grew and as he now possesses the Triforce of Power, he is doomed as are we to live on in a cycle of battle and trials as we war over what was our, ..." She stopped in correcting herself, "...No ... What was My Mistake. ... In flesh, Ganondorf, though mystical, is temporal, but his Spirit as Ganon will ever endure. ... Unless the cycle can be broken and the pieces of the Triforce reset."

Link looked upon her in thought, and then he injected. "That very well maybe, but Ganon is crippled outside of his housing carnation, and I cannot rest while that carnation endures. Under grief and regret, my spirit shall linger in its struggle and weight of time, and I will aid my successor. For he must be prepared for what he will face. ... I failed as I learned the experience 'the hard way'"

But Zelda rebutted him, "Your spirit will wain thin in misery if you linger in this fashion, holding nothing more than reminisce as you witness change through your hollow shell." Then she beseeched him, "Go to Saria and see her. See your kin."

At that thought, Link's eye turned dim as his head cocked and bowed in a sorrowful manner. "I will watch over Ordon and observe my son and line." He replied, "And I will observe dear Saria as she gets along. ... I long to see her, to speak with her, and I yearn for her gentle smile towards me. ..."He paused and breathed a heavy sigh, "But I will not have her see me like this ... in this, my cursed state."

"So, you will tread o'er the years across a changed earth, bearing a burden of reminisce and memory of both horrors and happiness while you abide as a shadow of your former self?" Zelda asked, and her enquiry of his goals was spoken in a tone that was almost reprimanding.

"Not a shadow." He answered, and then he proceeded to elaborate his meaning. "A shadow carries form, and it expresses explicit emotion of things witnessed." ... "Rather, I am as a shade who stood upon form of someone once, but that is a thing forgotten and unknown. And in passing away, I bear the presence of one who is lost. One who has lived in so many forms of life, times, and in some cases, a simple madness that stands twilight of emotion and emotionless." Link paused for a moment of silence, and then he spoke further. "I am not a shadow of my former self. ... I am a Shade of someone who never was." He heaved another great sigh. "My time with Saria was the only part of my life where I can say that I had a state of what I can actually call a 'Natural Life', but even that was only a vapor of a breeze, pleasant while it lasted. ... A one gift in grace wherewith to rest and taste upon lifetimes of adventure, toil, and travels."

And upon that thought, the Shade flashed as the wolf, and then he bounded off.

How do you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
1