Chapter IX: A Shade and His Lingering Task
36 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So came the days when there dwelt in Hyrule the Shade of someone, as he claimed, had never been. He returned to the woods of Faron, where he would bound, leap, and stride mysteriously through the forest. None knew him, but occasionally, if one was fortunate enough to glimpse the rare and fantastic sight, he could be spotted as a golden wolf. Majestic he was in form; wherefore, one would gasp in awe at the sight of him.

To the tree lines he would often come, and the winds would seem to sift through the trees at his presence. He would gaze and observe, for below his standing upon the hills or in the distance upon a field, stood both Saria and Sarick. So, the Shade would watch them over the days and years, and it pained him that he could not be ever with them. Though, as grievous as it was, he was thankful that at least, he got to see them. He watched as his son grew. Sarick had hair as green as grass on a sunlit hill, his eyes were blue like the oceans, and he was stout in recollection of a young boy who the Shade knew as a Hero. He wore green garbs in fashion of the Kokiri children of old, for Saria made them for him as she recalled the days of her youth. She would smile brightly as she would watch him play with the other children of the village. They would frolick and play, and they would sometimes engage into a bit of mischief.

There was a time when young Sarick was alone as his friends were busy and occupied. So, the lad of ten years in age decided to brave the woods of the forest. He hiked hills, valleys, and dales, and he would collect leaves of this tree and leaves of that tree. He would take in the sights of the different creatures that he would rarely see aside from here in the depth of the forest. Then upon a stream, he heard swift footsteps run by, and when he looked up, he beheld a young girl of blonde and flowery garb sprinting. Then not far behind her were not one, nor two, but six wolfos in pursuit. Sarick moved quickly and snatching a branch in haste, he snapped it in a particular manner so as it attained a sharp point. The lad was swift, and he gained grounds as he pursued. Eventually, they came upon a stone structure in a meadow, and the girl was fearfully pinned. The wolfos took formation in their pack, and when they were ready to strike, Sarick rushed in upon their flank in full momentum as he ran his spear through a wolfos. His action threw the pack off balance, and as he wielded his spear, he stood betwixt them and their prey.

The pack held back for a moment as they considered their new foe. Silently, the girl panicked. Sarick was terrified, but his instinct knew not to let them know it. Thus, the lad stood bold and firm. With his spear, he lunged as they attacked, and when one wolfos fell, he snapped the branch again as he lunged it into another to his left. Then as one came upon him, he spun in grabbing a stone and smote its skull. It wasn't enough, though it bought himself time as it was stunned. As for the other two, they had returned in surrounding the lad, for the girl had managed to climb a stone pillar away from their reach. So, Sarick was surrounded, but then after a moment, a small horn blew. The boy and the wolfos turned to find a skull child playfully snickering and taunting the wolfos. Two of them took taste to pursue the mysterious child in a like chase. But one wolfos however, did not fall for the diversion as he returned his notice to the boy who had stunned him. It seemed rough in its growl with unkempt fir, and it was indeed the greater of the pack. Sarick had no weapon and he stood far from anything that he could possibly grab in attempt of defense. But then something entirely unexpected happened as a golden wolf came, as if from no where, and tackled the wolfos. The lad stepped back as he watched the two battle it out. Sarick's eyes widened as they fought like rivals, but it did not last long as the wolf pinned the beast down as its maw took the kill. When all was done, the boy stood with bloody hands, bruised joints, and a torn shirt, and he locked gaze with the wolf's single eye as it stood before him. In that moment, the boy was awestruck, but then in response to the wolf's returned gaze, something awoke in him as he felt warm, proud, and mature. Simply, the wolf was calm and it appeared to give a sort of bow before it stood serene, and then it strode off as it vanished in the grass and trees.

"Hi,"Sarick said as he extended hand in helping the girl down from the stones. "My name is Sarick. ..."

"Hi...Sarick,...thank you." She said shakily as she was trying to get over the excitement, but then she eventually composed herself as she gave her introduction. "I am Darrilan..." She trailed with a smile, and then she went to explain herself. "I am from Hyrule Castle Town, and my family and I were in camp as we were traveling through the forest. ... As I was bored at camp, I wandered and strayed off. That was when those beasts came at me." And Sarick nodded, but then Darrilan made a request with a blush. "I'd like it very much if you came with me. ... I would feel better if you did."

Sarick sighed, "I'll be glad to, though I also need to get back home. My mother is also probably worried."

"Where is home?" Darrilan asked.

"At Ordon Village." He simply answered with a nod.

And she smiled as she replied. "Okay."

But then the structure came to notice, for while it was in ruins, it seemed so out of character for the environment of the woods. The boy began walking in exploring the mysterious ruins, but then he turned as Darrilan stood still and unmoved. She seemed as curious as he, but she also seemed unsure if she should follow or not. "Since we're here, we might as well see what the place is." He said as he beckoned to her. So she took his hand gladly, and they went into the ruined temple. There wasn't much to see despite that it was simply interesting, but then something caught their eyes as they beheld a majestic blue hilted sword standing in a stone pedestal. It shined with magnificence in contrast to its ruined surroundings. And in a moment of desire, curiosity, and anticipation, the boy extended his hand as if to reach for the hilt. But then a great ring struck their ears, and the boy stepped back. They put their hands on their ears, and then the ring lowered in its pitch to a howl. And when it died, they raised their heads. Before Sarick sat the wolf between him and the blade. The lad was filled with great wonder, and in a moment's courage he made to step forward, but the wolf, without moving, purred an inward growl as if in a hinted warning. It gave impression as if it was merely correcting him for his intention to touch the blade. A correction that seemed ... Fatherly? ... At length, the boy nodded, and they turned. Before they left sight, Sarick turned as he hoped to see the wolf and the blade one last time, but mysteriously, as if out of illusion, a wall stood before him so that he could no longer see. So they went their way. And above, peering over them from a nearby hill, the wolf sat, and beside him stood Phaelon, the Skull Kid. "Is he not the one?" The imp asked, and the wolf shook its head as the Shade replied in answer.

"No. .. He's not the one, ... but I'm very proud of him."

So Sarick walked with the girl back to her camp, and true to his word after seeing Darrilan safe, he returned home. When he returned, he bowed in shame as he apologized first for wandering off the way he had, for she never liked him to wander in the wild as she knew its dangers first hand. He told her of all that had happened, and while Saria was concerned, her heart smiled as she saw Link's bravery awakening in the blood of the boy. But she grew solemn, real quick, as he told her of the golden wolf, yet she smiled at length. She laughed in a warm expression as he told her of Darrilan, to which she replied. "Well, it seems that the young hero has already won the heart of a fair maiden." He blushed as she added further comment. "Maybe we'll see her again someday." But he merely shrugged in response as he really didn't know what to think.

That night, he was sleepless as he gazed upon the ceiling of his room that was carved out of the heart of the tree house, and when Saria came to check and kiss him 'goodnight', he enquired. "Mother?"

"Yes dear?" She acknowledged in reply.

And he asked her. "What is the golden wolf? There was something special about him."

Saria was solemn, but then she smiled as she answered. "I have never seen the golden wolf, but I know of him. And I know him. ... He is a spirit of an old warrior who treads these lands. He watches over us here in Ordon, and sometimes he watches over the lands of Hyrule."

The boy's attention was drawn deeper to her words, and he asked in the mystery as well as a feeling of a sense of pride of one's legacy. "You mean he was a warrior like father?"

A tear came down her face in the shadows of the night as he said that, and so she softly replied. "Yes. ... But now he wanders as he lingers in regret."

"Why?" Sarick asked, "What does he regret?"

But she only sighed and said at length. "He regrets many things, but mostly it could be said in one word. ... Guilt. ... He feels that he has failed so many people. The people of Hyrule, his friends, and those he loved. And he still loves them in his heart." She smiled as she said that, and more tears ran along her features which dried real quick before closing. "Goodnight Sarick." She said, and she kissed his brow as he likewise acknowledged in saying 'goodnight' But it was many hours as he pondered over the events, and thought on both the wolf and the mysterious sword which was the one thing he did not mention in his tale.

As he grew, Saria took him to see Hyrule Castle where he again met Darrilan, and they were quite shy and flustered as they conversed. Saria was happy to meet the young lady, and to be quite frank, she was excited. And then they went to the castle where she would visit with their majesties King Daphnes and Queen Zelda. Vairon and Sarick got along very well, and like brothers, they ventured at each other's side in touring the marvels of the castle.

When attending her son as she saw him, Saria was quite happy, and their life was full. But when ever she had her privacy, her face would become gray, and she would sometimes play her ocarina. Fado would occasionally check and look in on the family, and he cared for any needs they would have want in. At length, Saria's voice was far less the musical voice that it was, and her marvelous emerald sheen of hair had changed. She was fading. Her age advanced drastically fast, and of all of the Ordonians, her change was so rapid that it would almost had seemed unnatural.

Saria was soon become ill in her fading, like a flower in lack of rain and sunlight. And in her withering, she passed away. According to the wisdom of Saria and the Royal Family, she was not buried alongside of Link, but she was instead buried in a simple meadow of Ordon. For Link's line was decidedly kept secret lest it be threatened before the chosen one should come. The funeral was small as it was held by the villagers, and Daphnes, Zelda, and Vairon were alone from the castle in simple attire as they attended in secret. Mido and Fado carried her coffin of deku wood. Many flowers were laid therein with her body, and one flower, the 'Whispering Maiden' was set in her hair. Upon her brow was crowned the circlet of her ladyship, her neck adorned the Kokiri Emerald, and in her hands was placed her ocarina. Sarick stood by her grave's side, and beside him stood Darillan. They were seventeen years of age now, and they were engaged to wed. At length, when Sarick raised his head, beyond the crowd he noticed a golden wolf in seat along the tree line at the meadow's side.

Night fell, and Sarick came to the meadow as he was filled with grief. But when he did, he found the golden wolf in seat before Saria's grave. And so he stood for awhile, but then at last, after a great deal of thought, he approached the wolf. And the majestic animal gave notice to him, though it did not move as it just simply sat calmly. Then Sarick sat beside it upon his knees as he looked down upon the grave. Eventually, as time passed, he turned to the wolf and spoke to it. "You..." He was shaking in grief, realization, and discernment as he spoke. "You're my father, ... Aren't you." It was a question, but he said it as a statement. The wolf whimpered as a faithful dog lovingly beckons to its master, and it stood to lie down in cuddle with the young man, and Sarick embraced him in hug as he took that as an answer. "I don't know what curse you are under. ..." He said in a long whisper. "But I pray to Hylia that it will someday end." Then as time passed, he fell asleep with his head rested with the golden fir. But when he awoke that morning, the wolf was gone, and it was as if it was all a dream. Yet it was no dream.

When Saria passed, the woods of Faron and the forest changed. For when the forest had consisted mostly of fairy wood in its rich elegance in the past, it now consisted of the simple hardwoods of oak and hickory, and then there were the softwoods of mere gum trees and pines. But the Lost Woods, nonetheless, still abode true to its mysterious nature with the fairy woods.

As time continued, the sages passed, and yet their spirits lingered. For as the sages, in another timeline, watched over a seal that holds Ganon in the Dark Realm, the sages of this timeline watches over the mirror chamber as Ganon is held in the Twilight Realm. In succeeding management of the prison, Xelmir stood warden as Arbiter of the prison.

Vairon was now king with a wife and son as Queen and Prince. He was a very noble king, and he often rode with the guard as he would view the state of the kingdom personally. Directly, he took hand in learning all of the trades and predicaments that the people endured; wherefore, he was able to see for himself where and how his policies should apply in thriving the security and economy of the kingdom while yet protecting the rights and interests of the people. Always, he dealt with matters in a first hand perspective.

Sarick was married with Darrilan, and they had a few children of very delightful spirits. One went to the academy of Hyrule in the service of arms, one went to Kakariko to live a life with the Hylians under the influence of the Gorons. Two daughters were swift in marriage with their simple beauty, one to an Ordonian farmer, and one to a mariner of the outer seas to travel the outer reaches of which few in Hyrule knew. They dwelt in the Deep South, a place called Lurelin. But one lad stayed in the family's inheritance as he was the heir, and he committed himself to their care for when they would age. His name was Delvin.

Sarick had trained in swordplay in his youth with Fado and his son as well as with Vairon and his knights. But now he was a farmer while yet he was also a skilled hunter. So, he ventured oftentimes in the woods, and he ever looked, if perhaps, he might see the wolf again. He never did see him, but he knew that he was there, watching. As for Fado, in his faithfulness to Link and his lineage, he charged his sons and his line to ever give care to that house and family in its line. And so they did.

The Arbiter of the prison was at first a noble leader; hence, he was given the position. Nevertheless, he was not the wisest choice for the position to place him in, for he did not handle it well. For Xelmir hated the Gerudo with a passion as he was raised from the ruins of the war, and as a child of the given time, he had lost everything. Needless to say, the prisoners were treated poorly in his care, and as he desired to learn more about them, he took to reading the archives and texts that were found in the land. Among them was stored the texts of the witches arts. So, he was practiced in the dark arts wherewith a darkness had awakened in driving him to a certain madness. Soon, under his rule, the conditions of the prison worsened dramatically. Executions took place, some of which are too vile in method to name in this tale, and any guard of the royal service who questioned his authority and his policies was committed to sentence. Few were allowed to live. For he regarded them as guilty of treason, and thus he gave them similar treatment as to the Gerudo. In time, Vairon had received ears in rumor of some of the dealings of the prison's arbiter, so as he usually did, he went forth himself in direct investigation. Sadly, Vairon's nobility had for once rendered to be foolish in folly, for the Arbiter took capture of him as he personally executed the king royal in emphasize of his madness.

When word got out that the king was dead, an army of Hyrule marched across the Gerudo Desert, and Sarick marched with them. As they entered the prison, all seemed vacant and empty. There were no guards nor prisoners. Though the structure was designed by an Hylian architect, it's interior had Gerudo culture written all over it. They were not a part of the original design as the Arbiter had apparently modified it. For some of the designs and symbols were referenced to even darker times in Gerudo history as the articles of Demise's demons were kept in practice. Soon, all of the torches went out, and Sarick, among other soldiers and knights, were soon split and separated. But then they were approached by strange figures, for Xelmir had a few loyal followers who remained faithful in their ambitions. By the time they had recognized his madness, they were already involved too deep in the affairs to refuse service to him. Now they, as servants, were mutilated as ghouls that strode in screech of the Redeads, and their eyes bore a hateful flame. The soldiers and knights who were found alone did not survive, but those in company of three or more, held better. Sarick was alone, and as he was caught by a screaming ghoul, he was stunned still in terror as the voice pierced his heart in cold stone. But before the creature could strike, unlike the others, he moved in evading the executing blade. For Sarick had something the others did not, for the courage to face fear was a virtue that he had literally inherited from his father. And so he struck the ghoul with with a great slash. But then as he tried to move on, it was in vain, and his heart began to betray him as he was helpless in the dark. However, the golden wolf came before him then as it walked into the room, and it shined and illuminated the room as if a star had walked into the dark earth. The wolf whimpered in beckoning him, and he nodded as he followed. So, the Shade gave guidance as they passed through cunning halls and strange paths, and it would growl in pointing foes in their whereabouts.

Eventually, the wolf halted at an entrance to a dark room where even his light was challenged by the enveloping darkness. It was as if a dark presence stood there. Sarick stood beside the wolf, and he took out a simple instrument that he place to his mouth. He did not play an ocarina, but rather he played a wooden whistle. And the song he played was a song that Saria had taught him as she learned it from Link, the Prelude of Light. The Shade then learned something about that song that even he didn't realize, for in its power, though it could not create light, it could emphasize a light that is present. So, the wolf's light glowed exceedingly bright in overcoming the darkness, and before them was a dreaded sight. The floor was covered in blood and corpses of Gerudo and Hylian, some long dead, and others not that long. This was the execution room as it stood round and as broad as a hall, yet it gave merit to fear, terror, and death. In the center however, lay Vairon, but what remained of him was too indescribable for utterance. Sarick recognized him however, then the shadows stirred in the far end of the room where the light did not penetrate. Soon, they learned why as they realized that there walked the darkness itself. It was the Arbiter. He was changed now in result of the dark arts that he had referred himself to. Now he was a ghoul, but unlike the others that were walking corpses of corrupted minds, he walked in living flesh in his perverted state standing tall in stature. He was mighty now with a head deformed as that of a ram with great horns, and he steamed in a maniacal rage as he cried forth. Xelmir, the Arbiter, was now a living demon in the likes of the Rova Sisters, but worse.

So, Sarick stood before the Arbiter with his sword in hand. He did not act in haste as he held back in guard so he could study the tactics of the dark foe. The Arbiter drew a great dark blade, an execution blade, and he smote at him upon the floor wildly, slashing against the stone. Sarick spun often in dodging one stroke after another. He was seemingly helpless as he didn't have neither bow, nor any item of value to hold and slow the attacks of the demon. But the man saw a window, so he feigned cowardice as he leaped for it, yet as he made the wall, he professionally used his momentum in sliding down pushing himself back as though he had bounced from the wall in rebounding upon his enemy. The move was entirely unexpected as the ghoul's blade was committed in the window's opening, and Sarick struck the Arbiter. The Arbiter fell back wounded as he fled in leaving his blade behind. He was swift and slippery in his movements as like was his shriek.

Sarick followed cautiously, and the wolf strode again in guide. The lights were again lit, for the dark creature was weakened. Eventually they walked up a stair that wound up a great hall, and then they entered it, the great chamber that stood between them and the mirror chamber. It was round, and the catwalk went about the perimeter to the door on the other side that stood locked. For the Arbiter, would not permit entrance to the mirror chamber as he feared the spirits of the sages that lingered there. Before them in the center stood a great pillar to which a bridge gave access, and there upon it stood the Arbiter. But he was no longer the terror of the present as they were now acquainted with a new beast. For many fathoms below them walked a great beast that stood colossal amidst the structure, and it looked up to them with its great maw and great horns as it thirsted and hungered for fear and terror as well as meat and blood. Sarick was smitten with shock as he looked on and studied the setting. It was obvious that this wasn't apart of the original structure as it used to be the room of management in authority of the prison, but Arbiter had modified its structure for a different purpose with a new "pet". This was another method of execution and suffering as prisoners were cast to the feeding of the beast. "What has he done, harboring a creature like that?" Sarick thought aloud to himself.

It was inevitable as to what he must do, so Sarick crossed the bridge to confront the Arbiter again. But to his folly, the Arbiter had caused the bridge to retract, for the structure was mechanically inlined with an instrument that is quite uncommon. For the Arbiter bore a spinning gear that automated the systems of the prison. Sarick fell a short ways as he managed to catch himself on the wall's side in hanging from a ledge of stone. But his chances weren't good as the creature leaped in shaking the structure to a tremor, and it was desperately keeping in climbing attempts with its maw opened wide. Yet then the bright golden wolf, to Sarick's astonishment and fear, leaped into the maw of the beast in a swift swallow of a gulp that even it didn't have control over. And with his bright light and sharp maw, the Shade tore into the insides of the great beast as it twisted and screamed, and it wreaked havoc about its surroundings. So, Sarick climbed while he could, but when he came back on top, he found the Arbiter gone, but his black blood and stench left a trail. Sarick followed him swiftly, and oddly enough, it led back to the execution room where they had already met. Yet this time, it was just him alone in the darkness without light of sight. There was not much Sarick could do, so he remained calm, he stood still, and he breathed deeply as he waited patiently. He remembered his study of his adversary upon their afore struggle of combat, and he remembered the blade in how the inscription of the letters upon its shaft glowed brightly in a hateful crimson. It was as if they were written in blood. And so it was, for he noticed the blade as it flew down in strike. He spun as he evaded, and in his momentum of the moment, he turned his sword into the Arbiter's neck. The demon fell back into a scream of agony before, at last, the Arbiter lay dead.

Exhausted, Sarick sat back against the wall as he drew breath, then before he knew it, the golden wolf stood in entrance, and it gave him a nod. Sarick sighed, and then he asked, "Is it dead? Is the creature gone?" The wolf stood still for a moment, and then it merely gave a nod. "Thank you" Sarick said as he still breathed deeply, and the wolf nodded again. Then the wolf left, when soon the royal guard and soldiers entered. So, they left after the prison had proven to be empty. Then when they returned, Prince Livan was crowned king in his father's stead, and Sarick was recognized for his gallantry. But as for the awards and position that were offered him, he refused as he desired to continue his simple life. Moreover, it felt wrong to receive such things as he avenged the death of his dear friend. Thereafter, he had not the heart to return to the courts of the royal castle, though he would send his tributes to the Royal Family.

As for the prison, it was thereby decommissioned. But tales and legends say that the shadow and ghouls of the Arbiter and his darkness still dwell in haunting that abode in disturbing those who dared its bold entrance.

When the Shade was present at the prison, he entered the chamber of the mirror. There he changed form in his shade, and he marveled at the mirror. Then he observed that place as he looked on in lament. The sages were present, and there they spoke of the matters of the present, the past, and the future. And the Shade shared counsel with them in his lingering task. For in seeing Sarick, they were almost convinced that he was the one, and they asked his thought on the matter, but he answered in negative. "Nay. ... Sarick has proved valiant, but he is not the one who will overcome the Dark Lord. For I live my current existence in Twilight; wherefore, I understand it in a different light. Moreover, I have spoken with the spirits that now guard provinces of Hyrule. I know that when Ganondorf returns, Twilight will come to our world, and thus the power of the Twilight's Shadows must awaken. And the spirits will have to make sure that that power is given to the right hands. Only the chosen one along with one of the right to that power will be allowed to safeguard it, and only when that happens will it be confirmed to us lingering spirits. I, myself, have already conferred with them: Lanayru, Faron, and Ordona. Sarick is not it. But the spirits will know, and so, I myself, will know. Likewise, you will know when the time comes. It will be obvious to you."

Time of a few generations passed, and the Shiekah took a hard turn as a great plague struck their people ill. Many perished from it, leaving them as a few.

Moreover, the Gorons wained as a sickness took hold, and the thriving of their society wained. For the line of kings dwindled, and Darbus, the patriarch was alone alive of that kinship, and he ruled the people with the counsel of the elders. But then in their mines, he found a Fused Shadow as he had changed when he had touched it. Moreover, another Fused Shadow had awakened in the Zora temple of the Lake, whereas a great beast had grown magnificent in dread. As for the one in Faron, nothing had changed other than that the forest's woods, in its mysterious ways, had revealed in uncovering a new temple as it was built in that of a great tree. When the Shade saw it, it recalled to him of when he had pursued Phaelon with his mask of power. He was aware of the other awakening pieces of the power of shadows, and he was sure that the third rested here. After years of grief and sorrow in bearing the weight of time that Zelda, the Sage of Time, had described, he was now very weary. He knew that his chosen heir was close, and that he would surely come here. He knew that the time was nigh.

Furthermore, other creatures began to wake. Creatures of the demon's service. Wolfos were more bold as they grew in numbers. Keese returned to abide in the trees and caves of the land. And Bulblins became prevalent in their occasional raides.

In this time, Link's heir lived by the name of Tralvin. He dwelt in the old Tree house that still stood, though it had ever taken slight modifications over the year. He took a wife of the Hylians of Hyrule, and her name was Nilnaeis. And his good friend was called Rusl, Fado's heir. Their son was named after Sarick's father, 'Link'. Though some stories may had been told in earlier times, the telling grew less over the years to when, eventually, there were only fragments of them left to tell, and even then they were far exaggerated and embellished that they only filled young boys and girls with wild dreams and excitement in troubles and adventures.

Link was an emboldened dreamer, and he was quite the merry maker, mischievous prankster, and a body of energy. But then came the incident of his family. For as the monsters became more frequent in the land, Tralvin and Nilnaeis were assailed by Bulblin raiders. Thus, similar to the story of the Hero of Time, Link, the young lad he was, was left in the village, an orphan. Link, the boy that was filled with dreams, experienced a great soberness, maturity, and a sense of responsibility.

True to his friend and to the oath of his family, Rusl took the mantle in raising Link as apart of his own family, which isn't to say that he wasn't already apart of it. And Rusl was a cunning warrior in the training of his father's house.

Link grew more calm than his younger days, and he aided a young Fado, Rusl's nephew, as he managed the ranch of Ordon, which consisted of a stock in goats. He was also a great outdoorsman of hunting, fishing, and he knew a great deal more of the forest, more so than any average Ordonian.

Link was at peace in Ordon, and he lived a simple life. He grew with his dear friend, Ilia, the daughter of the mayor, Boe. Boe was himself, the heir of the house of Mido and Malon. And Ilia raised a Gerudo mare and named her Epona after the mare her ancestral mother had raised. And she was raised with that old tune that the old hero knew as Epona's song.

Then came an evening as the weather was changing, and Rusl sat with Link at the side of Ordona's spring, and the dusk reached Twilight. Softly in a fatherly manner, Rusl spoke with Link about the Twilight. And while they spoke, a golden wolf stood over the spring unnoticed, and he watched. Then a small voice of light came in soft ripples from the spring, and only the wolf understood it as it said. "It is him, your successor. The chosen." And the Shade looked softly upon him as a weight of Time grew heavy as if it tolled upon this moment. He nodded as he thought to himself. 'I know you Link. ... My lingering task lies with yours. A task of Time and Twilight.'

How do you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
1