Chapter X: The Shade of Time and the Youth of Promise
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over the years of his banishment, Ganondorf's spirit, Ganon, endured to meditate and muse on his return to the world of light. Upon his observance of those native to the twilight, the Twili, he took notice of Zant. And so as he saw Zant's heart of rebellion and taste for power, he saw opportunity. Ganon would give Zant his heart's desire: power and the throne of the Twili. He exploited Zant's ambitions to prepare himself a door to the land of Hyrule, and so he laid the groundwork of his revenge. While Ganon's strength would build, Zant would terrorize the people of Hyrule and prepare for his return.

Amidst Zant's rule, the shadows would spread and expand in its dominion. Almost, that rule would be complete, save that the descended son of the Hero could not be overtaken by it. For though the shadow cursed him in becoming himself a wolf, it could not overcome him as he inherited the Triforce of Courage.

***

The Shade had witnessed the fall of Hyrule, and though he observed the rule of Zant, he knew that Ganondorf was not far behind. And he watched as the reign of shadows came ever closer to the province of Faron and Ordon.

As night fell, after finally finding his successor at Ordona's spring, the Shade returned to the woods of Faron. Eventually, he came nigh unto the Lost Woods of Faron, still striding as the golden wolf, and he paused a moment as he was still coming over the fact that he had found him. The mixed emotions that he was experiencing was almost overwhelming. He had closed his eyes, and then he took a deep breath. But when he had opened them, as was done in so many years before, Phaelon was standing there, strangely close. The wolf jumped back in shock, and he growled. "Hey! Hey!! ... I thought you'd be glad to see me!" The skull child stated, and the wolf, having lightened his growl, cocked his head. "I don't have fairy friends anymore. ... You are all I have." Phaelon had added.

And then the Shade strode yet forward as he both sighed and spoke. "I know. ... But please...stop doing that."

Phaelon walked beside him, "Ok. ... I'll stop doing that ..." He paused and then added some key specifics , "...to you." The Shade looked at him then, and he smirked. Then the imp stated in a more serious voice. "The wall of shadow is coming closer."

The wolf nodded, "I know. ... Which means that it will not be long now that Ganon will come."

"So, ... have you found him? The Chosen One?" Phaelon enquired in a tone of doubtful hope.

But to his surprise, the Shade had finally answered in a positive. "Yes."

Phaelon paused in staring at him in a gaze ... "Really?!?" The Shade nodded, and then the skull child asked him with both curiosity and understanding. "So, will you guide him as you guided Sarick?"

But the wolf shook his head, "No." And then the Shade elaborated. "If Link is to help Hyrule, he must learn, himself, who and what he is, and so likewise overcome his trials. ... Which brings me to ask you a favor. ... I need you to be ready to meet him when he comes to the Lost Woods, and he will come. And I need you to test him, and make him earn his way. His spirit must be ready before he can wield the Master Sword to victory."

"And what will you do? ... I thought you had been waiting this whole time to prepare him." Enquired Phaelon.

But the Shade responded, "That is why I am asking this of you. ... I will teach him what he needs to know when he is ready. The trials he will face and the tests you will give will prepare him for what I have to teach him." Phaelon was silent for a moment before nodding in subjection to the old Hero's request.

"So," Phaelon began to ask, "what will you do for now?"

And the shade simply answered. "I will watch and wait." And then the wolf bounded off once again. In following, the skull child returned to the Lost Woods as he was bidden, and he waited.

On the next day, Faron was succumbed to the shadow of the Twili as the servants of Zant had stolen the light from Faron's spirit, so the Shade kept a close eye on Link from the distance. And so it came on the following day that the Bulblins raided the village of Ordon in capturing Ilia with the children of the village. And Link was left unconscious from the onset.

As Link pursued, he was taken by the shadow beasts, the corrupted Twili, and so he entered the shadow of Twilight. The Shade watched with both sorrow and intrigue as the Triforce of Courage preserved Link as a wolf. And while he pitied the young man, he was filled marvel as he took note of a certain imp that had also observed from the distance. He marveled even more as he saw the Twili's means of transportation, and he sarcastically thought to himself, "Well, so much for an ocarina."

He did not know at the time what became of them. But though the village had been raided and the Bulblins now terrorized the Ordonians, Ordona stood yet in light, free of the shadows dominion. And the golden wolf came to him for conference as they would discuss Link, the Twilight, and the mysterious imp. Ordona explained much to him: Of Link's meeting with Zelda, of Zant and the character of his rule, and of Midna in who she is, what she is, and her lessons to learn. So, the Shade came to understand both of them and how they will face their own trials together. He came to understand how Midna is the one, by right, to wield the Fused Shadows as was before instructed.

As told in the tale of Twilight, the given Hero returned to ward off the shadows from Ordon and Faron. And Faron gave the Hero, the Kokiri garb as he had promised Zelda, the Sage of Time. But when Link came to the mysterious temple of Faron woods, the golden wolf sat in his way. The Hylian halted, and he was taken aback about how calm the wolf was as he also marveled at its majestic beauty. "What are you waiting for?!?" Midna scolded from his shadow. "It's just a wolf!!"

In response of sarcasm, Link turned his cocked head downward. "Just a wolf??? ... Look at it!" He looked back up to the mysterious beast. "It looks old, wise even, and full of secrets." He added.

And Midna replied with a sarcastic smirk. "Well, regardless, we have a job to do, and time is not a luxury that we have!"

Link glared downward just then, and then he took a moment to study the wolf. He then tried to divert it out of his way with every trick he could think of. But as he feared, it was no ordinary wolf to be taken by such trivial tricks. So, with no other choice, he approached the wolf with his Ordonian sword drawn and shield raised, and as he expected, the wolf stood in a growl.

However, to Link's surprise, the wolf maneuvered with coordination. He was obliged to answer with his sword, and the amazing beast would intelligently dodge it, spin, and move with agility. It was as if the golden opponent was intentionally teasing his sword. Link was absolutely stunned by how this wolf was outmaneuvering sword play, and the more he was learning more maneuvers in his efforts, the more cunning the wolf became. The match was literally a workout, and just when Link thought he might have him, the wolf jumped over him in contradicting his momentum so as that he hit the ground backwards, resulting himself in an exhausted stun. As he came to, he found that his sword lay out of his reach before him, and on it sat the golden wolf. At that moment, Link froze as his confusion got the better of him, and he was at a loss for what he should do. The wolf was merely calm. At length, it howled, and to Link's surprise, it bounded off into the woods and vanished.

Link waited a minute while he caught his breath. When he finally stood and took up his sword, Midna mocked him. "Ha ha ha! The great Hero swordsman got bested by a wolf!! You are going to have to get much better if you want save anyone!"

The demeanor on Link's face, however, never changed, and he gazed into the forest where the wolf had vanished. "What was that?!"

But Midna merely placed her hands on her hips as she prodded further in her reply. "Do you honestly expect me to know the answer to the world of light's funny secrets??"

And Link scoffed in return, "Whatever..." And they continued on with their task.

As time passed, the Shade went on to see the Hero progress fending off the oppression of the Twilight and attaining the remaining Fused Shadows. He was intrigued with Midna's guidance of the Hero, and so thought to himself. 'Alas, she is no fairy. At least Navi and Tatle were like a mother and a sister. Midna's sass seems to be overbearing.' He cocked his head then, 'But I guess she'll do. ... They seem to be good for each other.' And then he smiled in his heart. Soon, the time came when they had acquired the Fused Shadows, and Zant had assailed them. For the first time, the Shade was really concerned, but as he followed them to Hyrule Castle, he then understood how they knew what they were doing. So, he abode without of the castle, and kept himself patiently.

Later, he followed them south, and they came to the Lost Woods. The place was fair as it was in the days of old, and Phaelon teased, played with, and tested Link, the cursed wolf. And the skull child would play Saria's Song on his little horn. Eventually, as Link passed the trials of the skull kid, he was permitted to come to the ruins of the Temple of Time. It was not long before he found the Master Sword in its pedestal, and like Sarick, he was stunned deathly still in awe. Then at length, he slowly drew his snout to touch it. When he did, the sword rang out in a high piercing ring, and the wolf of Twilight quenched with its eyes closed in response to the high pitching tone. Before he realized it, the sword emitted a bright white light as it embued the wolf with its sanctifying cleanse. And when the curse had purged, it had embodied itself as a dark crystal in the likes of a fused shadow. But it was different.

Link stood refreshed as he was again Hylian, and he stood serene and sober as he gazed upon the majestic blade. In a small voice that rang in it, the sword called to him. He stood forth, grasping the hilt with both hands, and in summoning all of his strength, he pulled in drawing the Master Sword of Evil's Bane, the Sword that Seals the Darkness. And Midna stood with jaws agape as she observed him holding the blade's beauty skyward. The sword seemed almost... refreshed... in the sun's light of Din's illuminating grace. Then Midna whispered softly as her words were more to herself than to him. "The sword accepted you as its master." But then something caught her eye, and she turned to find the golden wolf steadily walk in from behind. Her eyes widened in shock, awe, and fear, and she shakily beckoned to the Hero. "Uhh...Link..." Link shook his attention from the sword and turned to startlingly see the wolf. And when he did, he had no time to act as the wolf growled and leaped upon the young Hylian. All went dark in that moment.

Link awoke to find himself again a wolf. And he stood in confusion as he observed his surroundings. There were many images and many sights, some old, and some not so old. Everything was enveloped under many lights of many shades, both bright and dim, and many colors they emitted throughout the spectrum. And in mirror of the lights, there were many shadows, both dim and dark, and many emotions, some of smiles and joy while others bore anger and even hatred. Did this place stand in ... Twilight?

Then to startle Link, he encountered a spirit that seemed flesh in one moment, and then he seemed skeleton the next. He was clad in armor old, rusted, and marred, seemingly from rendered service in battle. Was Link dead? At least, Link at first began to think so. The warrior spoke at last with a deep voice that was intimidating as if it bore the authority of kings, commanders, and power. "I supposed you have a few questions: What is this place? What am I? Who am I? And why are you again a wolf?" In his feral self, Link nodded in an agreeable answer. "This place stands twilight between life and death, and it spans across time in History both now and then. ... As for the future, only the goddesses are permitted through that door, and there are none with the feats to enquire for it. ..." The Shade trailed as he allowed his words to sink in before he continued. "I am the Shade of Time as Time is my domain in its mantle of responsibility. For my soul has lingered in a curse over the earth of Hyrule as I stand between life and death. I am the Hero of old who has wielded the Master Sword before you. You are the youth of promise to succeed me as the Chosen Hero, and so you and I share a task of Time and Twilight as Twilight is your domain." Link cocked his head then, and the Shade only would say, "You will understand when you attain the full weight of a Hero in its mantle of responsibility. ... As for who am I? You know, for now, what you need to know. I simply bear the memories of one, 'who never was', as he stood a warrior of Time only to have time overwhelm him. ..." The old warrior trailed then as his eye grew dim, but then he returned his full attention with the young hero. "You are a wolf because this place stands in twilight of life and death, and as I have stated before, Twilight is your domain. ... Well, then..." The Shade sighed, and then finished on. "Now that you have been enlightened, let us return."

Link woke up, and it was nightfall. Midna sat beside him, and the Master Sword laid at his side ... in a splendorous blue sheath with bonds of gold along its shaft? He didn't say anything but looked on in question, and Midna answered for him. "When you 'went out' I tried to look for some herbs that might be of help, and I found this laid carefully in a room of the ruins. ..." She paused as she sighed with returning her thoughts to the situation , so she asked. "What happened?"

He sat dazed for a moment as he mulled over his thoughts. The stars were out, and he gazed at them. Link wondered then at those six stars of color: yellow, red, blue, violet, golden, and green. He had seen the stars his whole life as he would gaze when he was a child, but now something new was felt inside of him, something nostalgic had awakened. At length, he gathered thought and answered her. "The golden wolf is the spirit of the old Hero who last wielded the sword. He is a shade in memory of someone who had never been, he is the Shade of Time. ... He said that we share in a task of Time and Twilight. I don't understand him, but like the great spirits of Light, he said that I am the Chosen Hero. And that I carry the weight in mantle of responsibility of the domain of Twilight. ... After our introduction of 'enlightment', I awoke here." Link was exhausted, and he soon collapsed asleep.

The following morning, Link woke up and his imp companion was no where to be seen. He lifted his head which ached something fierce, and he found that a small fire was made near at the foot of the steps. So the Hylian stepped up in taking up his Hylian Shield and the Master Sword in its sheath. Link went to sit himself by the fire as he took a drink from his satchel, hoping that his head might ease. And then Midna came back with a few fruits and berries she could find along with a few small game. "I thought you might be hungry." She said, and he nodded as his soberness became more attuned.

Then he asked her with a grunt in his voice, "What time is it?"

Midna began cooking as she answered plainly. "Dawn passed two hours ago."

As he was gaining his energy back at the smell of the food, Link was intrigued in watching the imp cook. Until now, he never saw how she ate. But neither did he know yet what she was exactly either. His thoughts trailed in curiosity, and then he mulled over the sword as he looked over its beautiful sheath with intricate features and its royal hilt. But soon breakfast was done, and Midna prepared some plates from his gear. Link took the plate gratefully. "Thank you." He said, and they turned to their plates as they were about to eat.

Midna enquired then of their journey. "So, what now? I know where we need to go, but are you ready?"

"Apparently not." He said plainly without yet taking a bite as his eyes were fixed passed her. Midna followed his gaze, and standing in the archway was the golden wolf. "Stay here." Link said with conviction, "I need to do this alone."

Link stood up and approached the wolf. Midna watched in wonder, and she was utmost curious. But she honored his wish and ate her meal beside the fire. When Link approached, the wolf turned and lead him into the great hall. In time, it gave him cue to stand put as it took distance from him where there it faced him. There, the wolf showed himself as the Shade in his armor of old. And Link was astounded how similar his features were to his own, and then the Shade spoke. "The sword you have is evil's bane as it seals darkness. There is a spirit that dwells in the blade, and though it does not come forth as the legend of old, it is your friend, and in time, you will hear its voice. It will whisper to you like a song, it will sing to your emotions in your hopes and your fears, and it will visit you in your dreams. It speaks only truth, and truth is something you must always be prepared for though it carry a great weight which you loath. For truth is not necessarily what you may 'want to hear'. ... That will come in time and you will know when it does. ... But now you must learn how to wield the blade. What I teach you now will only brief you to a new world you have yet to discover, but your trials on the field of battle will decide how you will merit the feats of the blade. You are the chosen Hero, and you bear the Triforce of Courage. Draw the blade."

Link's ears perked, and then he subjected to the old Hero in drawing the sword from its sheath. The blade felt heavy and a burden seemed to bear on him, and was there a hum in the ears of his thoughts? Was he imagining it? Or was he so succumbed to the excitement when he drew it from its pedestal that he hadn't noticed then?

At length, the Shade spoke. "If you focus on your hands and your troubles, the burden will weigh you down. Focus rather on the blade and on the target at hand. Focus on what you are doing. The sword will resonate with your thoughts, it will become lither. Facing your target, whether it be your opponent or your task at hand, it merits courage. Facing truth merits courage in more feats than one, and as you do that, you will then become one with the blade. Remember that. For a sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage."

Then Link began holding the blade with deeper purpose and he began to experience the Shade's words. And the Shade took stance in beckoning the young Hero to do the same. So, the Hero and the Hero engaged, but the old Hero was fast and he danced his blade about the Master Sword. Link could hardly keep up, and he failed time and time again. It was downright frustrating, but just as the Shade gave no mercy in the exercise, neither would reality. A truth he accepted, and he humbly submitted himself to the lessons. And so in time, he courageously braved forth, and he purposefully handled his blade. Then at that time, the sword rung out in a flash as light emitted from the blade; whereas, the Shade was stunned in his tracks. Link sighed as they paused, and the Shade nodded, "Good! The sword's spirit is joining yours in becoming one. ... Now come forth!!" And the Shade braced as the young Hylian broached himself upon his opponent, and the Master Sword threw the old warrior upon his back in a great crash.

The Shade rose afterwards and stood pleased. "You have done well. Remember what you have learned and it will save you in your journey. You must exercise your skills upon the field in your trials." He said, and then he sighed as he looked on the brave youth before he voiced his closure. "Remember, you must hold the sword with courage. Face your fears, and face the truth."

Link nodded solemnly without a word as he was quite speechless, but then he mustered enough courage to enquire. "Will you not come with me?"

But the Shade shook his head. "The trials of battle here fall under Twilight, which is your domain. I stand here in my domain of Time to prepare you for what you must face. ... You have yet to learn of the true evil behind the Twilight. ... Go, and may the blessings of Hylia be with you." Then at that, he transfigured again as the golden wolf. He nodded, to which Link returned the nod with reverence. The wolf howled, and then he bounded away.

Link stood there as he mulled over what just took place and the lessons he had learned. He stared at the sword for a moment before returning it to its sheath upon his back. When he turned, he stopped taken aback as he found that Midna had been watching from the archway. "I thought I told you to stay back." Link said with a tone of annoyance.

But she countered with her typical sarcasm, yet of a friendly notion. "You said you needed to do it alone. In respect to that, I merely spectated from the distance." Midna giggled in following, and then they went to proceed with their now cold breakfast as time now stood at noon.

***

In the chamber of the Arbiter, he awoke as his flesh took breath in the world of light again. For with the Triforce and the power of the Twili combined, the barrier of his banishment could not contain him, and a door had opened between Twilight and Light. The King of the Gerudo had returned.

The king walked abroad in Arbiter's Grounds as he remembered Hyrule and its forsaken prison. He remembered his people who followed him, now dead, and he remembered those who betrayed him. The king was now without any domain of royalty save for his own name, and yet he cared not. For he was past that now. Ganondorf was a changed man who was now conformed with his spirit, Ganon. Yea, even now as the Arbiter and the spirits of the dead envelope his presence, they dare not approach him nor attack as he held aloft his grip in sign of his illuminating Power. A Power divine in what he considered a gift. For oblivious was he that he had already received it in access of another line of time. Yea, he would become a god to whom the other pieces of Wisdom and Courage are bound to. ... He will yet attain his prize, and he will challenge the goddesses. So, once again he strode across the vast desert of his now desolated home.

And so it came to pass that Ganondorf came upon Hyrule Castle at unawares, and he fenced it off as he claimed it. He mused from the throne with Zelda as his captive.

In his occupation, he had hoped to learn of the Triforce, what happened, and where were the other two pieces. For he knew that as he bore the Triforce of Power, then the other two would be within reach. His greatest desire would at last be within reach. He had only to learn where they were. Any hope of learning it from Zelda was of loss as her spirit was absent. So, he studied the archives and records of history. Eventually, he learned what he needed. He did not learn exactly what had happened as pages were missing, and the test of time left the generations to deviate in embellished information. All he could learn, was that the Triforce had separated and that he had Power whereas the Princess and "the Hero" were safeguarded with Wisdom and Courage. Learning this, he smiled with Zelda in grasp, and "the Hero" of the given time was 'obvious' to him as he observed in the affairs of Zant's ploy with him, this "boy of the forest" A thought that recalled to him of another boy, a boy who had ruined everything for him. "Could it really be that simple?" He asked aloud in thought, "Was he...?" His anger grew out of realization as one becomes frustrated in view of past mistakes in a dawning understanding. So, he waited. With his barrier in place, he knew that the Chosen Hero would come; therefore, the three: Power, Wisdom, and Courage would be joined for him to obtain the Triforce in whole. And then he would be set to rule Hyrule and the Twilight. His vengeance to reap upon Hyrule was almost complete except where the Chosen Hero was concerned.

***

At dawn of the day, following the lessons, the golden wolf stood on a hill amidst the outskirts of the forest, and the rising sun illumined glistening fields under the forecast of dark clouds. He observed as Link and Midna rode northward before turning to the western lands, but they stopped as they took notice of the castle with its barrier that shunned away all life that took sight of it. And the wolf's gaze followed theirs with expectancy, for he knew the dark lord who now abode there.

So, the Shade spectated as the youth of promise ventured the Gerudo Desert where a great past awaited. The desert was ever a waste in disregard to the presence or absence of the Gerudo, yet the desert and its surroundings lay desolate. The Shade watched eagerly as Link would face the trial of the Arbiter, for the shadow of the Arbiter still dwelt there. He would see how Link would stand with the lessons he had learned. And so Link braved the Arbiter and the Stallord, in resurrection of the Arbiter's beast, and though he suffered much in the battle, he handled himself well. The lessons he had learned were executed in respect to the sword he wielded and the mantle he bore.

It was the lingering spirits of the sages that gave them knowledge of Ganondorf in revelation to Zant's rise to power and Midna's curse. But as for the mirror, Zant had shattered it in shards to ward away the world of light. Could the sages and the Shade match the power of Zant in preventing the mirror's breaking? Perhaps. But neither the sages nor the Shade gave move to prevent its breaking, for Link would not have been ready without the trials by which he would grow. So, Link and Midna would follow the shards and face what trials would await there. As they prepared to leave, they saw the golden wolf approach. Midna's eyes widened, but while Link was at first startled, he was composed in soberness as he enquired of the Shade. "Do you come to teach?"

But the beautiful beast shook his head, and for the first time, Midna heard his majestic voice. "No. ... You are not yet ready for your final lesson of your task. ... I have come to speak with the sages."

Link nodded submissively, and then he asked out of curiosity. "Can you please tell me ..." He trailed as he mulled in thought, "Did you know Ganondorf?"

The wolf stopped as he approached the mirror's pedestal. He purred to himself to what Link thought was an inward growl, and then there was again silence. The wolf turned, his one crimson eye was bright before dying down to a dim light. "I knew him." He said calmly with a sense of gravity, and then he was silent again.

Link noticed a flash of memory hinting in the Shade's eye. "Can you tell me about it?" He asked in his perception, for he wanted to know the Shade as he gave a sense of legacy in sentiment. He wanted to know his story.

"This is not the time." Was all the Shade would say. And again, Link nodded submissively before he left on his way.

When he left, Impa's spirit approached the wolf with inquiry. "You haven't declared to him the mantle of responsibility he carries against our foe?"

But the Shade merely shook his head before answering. "He is exercising the skills he needs to grow for that potential, but if I give too much too quickly, it will drown him in rendering his mantle as an impossible task. Let him work with what knows so that he can grow. They must first vanquish their foe of Twilight, then perhaps he might be ready to face our true enemy."

"But did you not learn as you went in your trials of adventure? Did you need such guidance?" Nabooru countered.

But the Shade rebutted. "Yet Link must avail where I did not."

A moment of silence was taken as then the wolf turned in facing the sages, and then he sat. "I saw the barrier about the castle." He said, and then he asked in a tone as if he already knew the answer, "He is here isn't he?"

The sages then looked to him in grave countenance. "He is grown older, and though he is less wise, his power has grown. He is more Ganon, the king of demons, now than he is Ganondorf, the king of the Gerudo."

"And the Twili, Zant, adds to that power." The Shade added, and the sages nodded.

Then Impa injected. "But Midna is the princess of the Twili, and she has the right to wield the Fused Shadows. The one you told us about."

And the wolf replied, "I agree." Then he stood in giving each of them a nod, then he left.

The wolf followed them as he found them in meeting with the resistance. It was from Auru that Link learned a fair amount about the legends of old concerning Ganondorf and "the boy from the forest" Furthermore, in the group, Link found friends and support in his efforts. The Shade was glad to see it, for at least now Link had some solace with those who would draw close to him in good faith. A thing that the old Hero did not have save in Zelda as she disguised as a Shiek of the Sheikahs. But even then, there was too much mystery involved for such confidence. The Shade sighed, and he smiled in his heart.

So, Link traveled in search of the shards with the aid of the resistance. The wolf followed and observed as he strode north up mount Hebra where dwelt the Yetis in an old mansion built from an older civilization of Hylians in some decades in the past. The winter there was less harsh then, and few even braved to venture further west in view from the ice. It was said that occasionally, one could see bird folk flying in the distance. Hence, there was much speculation of a strange society that dwelt nearby. But none dared to brave the cold for the distance to reach it. In their time with the Yetis, Link and Midna retrieved their shard, and they left to search for the others.

Rusl pointed the next one out to Link's assistance, and so Link returned to the ruins of the temple of Time. Again, he was tested by Phaelon. For Phaelon's scarecrows would dance in taunting the warrior, Phaelon played him for a chase much like the times as he would test the Knight of Ordon and his old friend, Fado. Phaelon worked a maze with his illusionary walls as certain paths would open and close as if seemingly without notice. Eventually, Link stood in a garden of many, and about him stood strong deku trees tall. About his feat lay a bed of vibrant leaves. Link found the place a marvel until at a sudden, he found himself in near face to face with Phaelon who hung upside down from a vine. "Hehehe...that was fun...I will now show you a place of many marvels. A place that you seek." The skull child soon left and disappeared, and then a new path laid open before the young Hylian. And so was revealed to him a door into the old temple. A door into the temple's past, an even older past than what even the Shade of Time remembered. So, Link and Midna entered.

The Shade remained without as he watched them through the past by his own domain of time. And as he sat, the skull child walked up beside him. "When did you know about the door and the shard?" The wolf calmly asked.

And Phaelon shrugged. "I've always known. ... As Saria left me her mantle over the forest, she also left me the mantle of the Sage of the Forest. ... So, I kept the door a secret. But Zant was beyond me, and I could not hide it from him. ... Now I led the youth of promise to it when the time was ready."

The Shade nodded solemnly. "Very well." He said.

Phaelon stood for a moment in the pause of silence as if he was waiting for more conversation from the wolf, but the silence prevailed over the stretch of time. Eventually, Phaelon decided to break it. "So, how are you and Link getting along? Not everyone gets to speak with one's descendant and one's ancestor."

But the wolf shook his head in a negative. "He only knows me as the Shade, the spirit of an old warrior. Link has now learned in research about my former self, 'the boy of the forest', but he does not know me as Link, the Hero of Time." At that, the imp cocked his head, and the Shade elaborated. "I am here to prepare and guide him, not to 'enter into his life'."

"Don't you think that you have already entered into his life? Don't you think you owe him an explanation?" Phaelon asked rhetorically.

And the Shade countered. "Perhaps, but I cannot allow myself to go too deep."

"After all of this, Link will be changed. ..." The imp said, to which the wolf turned his head to him as he listened intently. "You know that better than anyone. Yes, you must guide him for this, but you must prepare him for that too. ... And you can only do that, not as the Shade of Time, but as Link, the Hero of Time, his forefather."

The wolf thought then for a good while, then at length he replied to Phaelon. "I will consider it."

After sometime, Link and Midna returned to the resistance with the shard. But then Link's troubled heart was again astirred as his travels would turn to the aid of Ilia. So, Link's trail brought him to the hidden village of the Shiekah. Few remained, along with Impa, the ancestral daughter of Tempa. Saving Ilia's memories brought Link to tears, and so they spent the day together before he resumed with his search. The separation tore at the heart of the young Hylian. As the Shade observed, he recalled of the time he awoke from his seven years of slumber and saved Saria from Ganon's phantom, and how his heart was torn at that separation.

Eventually, Link and Midna followed the leads of Impa and Shad's research and learned of old technology that brought them into the sky where dwelt a city of Oocca. This time, the Shade remained behind altogether, and he waited. The Shade knew little about the history regarding the Oocca, but he knew more than Shad who had a great deal of data collection regarding that history. That history went back to the War of Sky as Demise and the Hero of Sky contested for the Triforce. It is said that after the Hylians returned to the earth in establishing Hyrule, the goddess Hylia blessed the great birds of Loftwings. So, they were given the gift of becoming a people, the Oocca. Furthermore the ancient island of Skyloft was given for their society. Hylians thereafter called it the Sky City as there was none other like it. But none now had seen the Oocca in ages since the older days. But that was soon to change, and Link and Midna now walked abroad the Sky City.

Defeating a dragon was no small feat, and yet Link defeated Argorok, a beast of Eldin who was infected with the shard, for Zant had given it to him. Wherefore the drake had terrorized the Oocca. So, with the last shard in hand, they returned to land.

Upon returning to the mirror's chamber, the mirror was again made whole. And it was then before entering the world of the Twili, that the sages disclosed the Twilight Princess' identity. For they affirmed with her her mantle of responsibility and her claim to the Fused Shadows, and they apologized to Midna for their reckless actions in Ganondorf's banishment. They made ready, but then noticed the golden wolf observing from the door way. Link's eyes spoke his question, but the wolf shook his head as he said, "Not yet. ... You have done well, but you have one more trial. After that, we'll speak." The youth nodded, and the two entered through the mirror into the Twilight Realm.

So, it came that Link defeated Zant, the Twili had been freed, and Midna had reclaimed not only the throne, but the power of her people, the Fused Shadows. In confrontation with Zant, Link learns that Ganondorf had returned to the world of Light, and that he possesses Hyrule Castle.

With this knowledge, they left the realm of Twilight in haste to save Zelda. In such haste, they neglected the golden wolf in the chamber as they hasted across the desert, and made their way over Hyrule fields. Their camps kept in short sleep, and their breaks were nigh to coming and going without notice. The Shade, however, was swift, and the golden wolf cut Link off here upon the fields that lay between the city and the forests of Faron. Upon the abrupt meeting, Link halted immediately as he was startled. The wolf merely sat before him, and Link spoke to him in urgent. "We don't have Time! We have to save Zelda!..." As he paused in short of breath, the golden beast cocked its head, and Link finished. "Ganondorf has returned! He is here!!"

The golden spirit merely sat, and noticing this, the young Hero took breath as he gave the old wolf his undivided attention. The night had drawn late, and the stars reigned above them. Filling the air, the evening's mist had arisen, and their eyes met with shining glances. Transfiguring, the Shade stood before the Hero of Twilight. "You have braved your trials well. Now...let's see the result." The old master said, and he drew his sword with his raising shield. In answer, Link drew his own blade of mastery with patience, and the Master Sword gleamed in a pure blue light. They stood for a moment, and then they clashed. As always, the Shade was fast as he twitched his blade, turned his body, and met his opponent's eyes. But now the youth of promise met his speed and agility, and it seemed as if he had mirrored the old warrior. Long their battle lasted, and it proved to the Shade that he was matched. Then eventually, as the light grew and waxed hot among them, Link also grew to exceed his master as his spirit was one with the sword. Fi's voice, the spirit of old, guided him along with his on instincts of matured experience, and so he came now to know the Shade's actions before he performed. Thus, Link came to be ahead of his master, and he defeated him as the Shade's neck rested at the edge Link's blade.

The Shade stood then with a nod. "Good. ... You have become one with the sword in wielding it with courage, and you have bested me." But the Shade stood back as his countenance became fierce, his eye gleamed red as if it truly for once showed malice, and his presence stood as a sight of terror. "But can you best him that wields power?" The Shade asked as a statement, and as he spoke, he flew in the air as if it was natural for one to hover in plain sight. The mist then became cloud, and the cloud gave thunder.

"What devilry is this?" Link asked aloud in thoughts.

But the Shade replied in a voice that boomed terrible. "I am the Shade of Time. As I stand twilight between life and death, I conjure these tricks that I have faced in my past from Ganondorf, for Time is my domain. ... So, I ask you again. Can you face him?"

And without giving Link time for response, darts of light struck Link as he bolted down. ... Heaving breath, he brought himself up with shield raised. An orb of pale light came against him as a shooting star of malice. Link fended against it with his shield of Hylian steel. But while he was succesfully defended, he was again thrown back by the momentum of the attack. ... Lifting himself up, he rose in seeing the Shade's sword rise in charging another orb. Seeing this, Link readied himself, and wielding his blade, the Master Sword waxed hot in a light of its own. And something happened that he did not expect. His left hand had glowed bright as a star that stood with him upon earth as it showed the sacred triangles embedded in his fist. And then as the orb came, Link swung and struck it in full swing with such speed that the orb was slung at the Shade in void of time for reaction.

Being struck, the Shade was brought down in a crash. Link stood stunned as he was amazed at himself, staring at his hand as it still glowed. ... Eventually, the Shade approached him, but as Link noticed him, the Shade had grown in size as he charged upon Link in a swift madness, and they battled with blade again. But as Link was still fast, and the Shade was slower, the Shade was now great in prowess with great might in his strength as if a great hill had thrown itself against the young Hero. And the Shade spoke as they fought, which at first proved a great distraction for Link, but then he got a grip on himself as he managed to focus. "Ganondorf will walk proud and mighty as a great tower over your humble stance. ... Do not allow his words to say you. ... Use his momentum against him ... Manipulate him ... Cause him to tear himself down in crashing upon his own weight! But at all cost!! ... When he is down! ... Do NOT HESITATE!!!" And then Link managed to trip the Shade upon his weight in crashing down into the dirt. "Do It!" The Shade shouted, and without hesitation, the blade of the Master Sword came upon the Shade as it ran him through. For Link was committed, and the Triforce had become a force of momentum in his running battle.

But now that Link had succeeded, he faltered. "No!!" He said to himself amidst a confusion of dread, anger, sorrow, bitterness, and frustration. "Don't leave me..." He said allowed, and for a great moment of time, all stood still and remote. But then something happened that surprised him, for the Triforce had for a moment left the young Hero's hand. The first time he had ever seen it to leave. 'What is this?!?' He thought. But then the Triforce revealed itself upon the Shade's left hand as he again rose. And then as they sat beside each other as the Shade again drew breath in spirit, the Triforce returned to the young warrior.

Seeing the youth's questioned features, the Shade elaborated, and for a moment, his own features of flesh had shown itself in view. "Link, I am the Shade of your forefather, Link, the Hero of Time." He paused with young Link's widening eyes, he nodded to the youth as he continued. "Your bearing of the gift of the Triforce of Courage is your birthright in testament that you are my successor as the Chosen Hero." Link's eyes trailed with his undivided attention, and Midna, who had been abiding in Link's shadow, watched and listened with marvel as the Shade begun to tell his tale.

"My story begins in another time, Link. Hyrule and the Gerudo had endured a long war, and my mortally wounded mother brought me to the forests in Faron as I was raised with the Kokiri, the eternal children. My life as a child among the Kokiri was simple, and my dear friend, Saria, along with all the beauties of the forest, was my whole world, a 'natural life'. But then Ganondorf, the King of the Gerudo amounted his coup under a guise of suit for peace. His efforts brought me into my tales of adventure as the princess Zelda, of that age, recruited me to beat Ganondorf in a race for the Triforce to prevent him. In doing so, I accessed the Master Sword, but as young as I was, a child, I was sealed in seven years of sleep until I was of age. I was then seventeen. And I then learned that from that time, I had opened the door for Ganondorf in giving him access to the Triforce." At this time the Shade sighed grieviously before continuing.

"But Ganondorf's imbalance of heart had rendered the Triforce to be split. Wisdom was given to Zelda, and Courage to me. But Power was left to Ganondorf, and with it he conquered Hyrule in ruling seven years of desolation and havoc. But as the Triforce was split, his victory was marred and fruitless. So, I was left to pick up the pieces in freeing the lands of allegiance to Hyrule, and I awoke the six sages, each representing an element of power, as their power aided the Master Sword and maintained the Sacred Realm where once the Triforce was housed. With the help of Zelda and the Sages I defeated him, and the sages sealed him into the Sacred Realm. But then in hopes to undo what was done, Zelda sent me back into time to part from that reality as I would produce a new reality."

"Coming back, I laid the Master Sword to rest in the Temple of Time. I warned Zelda of Ganondorf's coup before he acted upon it, and he, with the Gerudo thieves, were banished. But then to assure that he could not access the Triforce, I was sent away to take with me the Ocarina of Time as it was key to opening the door to the sword and the Triforce."

"My journey took me to a strange place that would become another adventure of hardship. For then I encountered masks of power. But that is another tale. All that I will say, is that as I found my way to defeat the demon of that crisis, I had to relive a recurring set of three days over, over, and over. This was another world that I found way to, one parallel to ours; wherein, the residence were all identical counterparts to every soul I know here. I relived the madness of three days for a year."

"The Ocarina of Time was destroyed, and I returned home. I came home to Saria and relived my childhood. But then the Kokiri grew as I grew, and the Kokiri village became Ordon, your home." He paused as Link cocked his head marvel, and then the Shade continued. "I became a knight, and I married Saria as I could at last live a natural life. ... But then the Gerudo invaded Hyrule, and Ganondorf attacked in such desperation that he changed the map. I confronted him, and I failed. Zelda had him captured and executed, but as you now know, we were naïve to think that we could prevent him from obtaining the Triforce. For as I came back in time, the Triforce is not bound to time. ..." The Shade paused, and his eye dimmed. "Ganondorf still has the Triforce of Power from the time he had originally accessed it, and so I had the Triforce of Courage. With it, my spirit lingers in my regret as a Shade of my former self that practically never was, and I watched my descending generations as I waited for the Youth of Promise to rise and achieve where I had failed. ... I believe you are ready now Link. ... But there is one last thing that I would have you know for when you reach your journey's end. ... I never allowed my heart to settle as I was ever filled with a spirit anxious of the past, and therefore it hindered me from being able to live a 'natural life' though I did have it for a time. For I was changed after my journey of failures and only ever seeing glimpses of hope when in truth, hope would be far from me. And you will be changed too. But do not allow yourself to becomes anxious that you do not see the beauties of the present and do not forget the simple things in life that matter so much. Do not keep your lady waiting."

At that moment, their eyes featured a warmth as if the eyes of a son and a father were in greeting, and then they smiled. Then the Shade sighed as he looked up after the mist had cleared, and the stars were once again those silver blossoms that he once viewed so dear. His eyes averted to that green emerald tree of life that stood upon that far cold ceiling, that emerald star. And Link's eyes followed gaze in view upon it. The Shade nodded with indication as he commented on the splendorous view. "That star. ... It represents your foremother, Saria. My wife." Link returned his gaze upon the Shade of Time as he spoke with a deep passion of nostalgia in recollection of memorable days. "When she was a Kokiri, before she grew up as an Ordonian, ..." The Shade continued, "... she was the Sage of the Forest. She was my dearest friend as she stood up for me as I was different from the others when we were children. ... Though she was pretty before, when she grew up, she was the most beautiful woman that walked the earth. Her emerald hair, once short, grew long as the leaf branches of a Deku Tree, her green irises matched her hair, and her heart was as loving as the rivers that sing melody in nightingale to the stars of the night. She was selfless ever, and always she waited for me. ..." The Shade's eye came down as he trailed in a hint of sorrow. "Always, she waited for me." He said again, but more to himself as if in recollection of a certain grief. "She would be proud of you." He said at length, and then he turned again to Link as he added, "And so am I." There was a long pause as Link shed a tear from his blue irises, but he never spoke as he choked with mixed emotions. Then the Shade ended as he closed, "I will not be with you when you face him. That is a task that you must face alone, and I cannot interfere. ... May Hylia be with you." In following, he again became the golden wolf, and after he looked upon Link at last, he howled. And then he bounded off.

Afterwards, Link and Midna, camped for the night, and then the next day, they rose and moved on to the castle in uniting with the resistance. The place was a great commotion and had apparently been so for a great while ever since the barrier had been erected. Soldiers had been working with the safety of the people and attempting to come to some understanding of the barrier. And the resistance coordinated with them.

Link managed to have cooperation as he made his way forward, and Midna, the Twilight Princess, wielded the Fused Shadows in breaching the barrier.

Needless to say, Link battled his way to the sanctum, and there he confronted Ganondorf.

Ganondorf had waited with his barrier in place and Zelda in grasp as he knew the Chosen Hero would come. Hence, he reenacted the setting of the War of Time unconsciously, yet a pale imitation of it, for then he had actually ruled as the King of Evil, but now he was a king of Exile with nothing but desperation and conceit. But now the three: Power, Wisdom, and Courage were joined within grasp for him to obtain the Triforce in whole, and then he would be set to rule Hyrule and Twilight in his ultimate desire to challenge the goddesses. Ganondorf's vengeance that he reaped upon Hyrule was almost complete except where the Chosen Hero was concerned. The Chosen Hero recalled to him of the Hero of Time, who he knew only as a 'boy of the forest', and to the Hero of Twilight was his hatred utterly given.

So, Link battled Ganondorf as he puppeteerd Zelda, and then Ganon, the fell spirit, came forth. A battle of no small feat, and yet the wolf of Twilight prevailed against the Dark Beast. But then alas, Midna sacrifice herself sending Link and Zelda out of harms way without of the city into Eldin Fields, and she battled with Ganon's spirit in standing with the Fused Shadows. Though she did not perish, Ganon prevailed, and he destroyed her power.

Thus, Link and princess Zelda were met by their enemy has Ganondorf came onto them in onset. With Zelda's aid, the 'playing field' was made 'level' as the dark lord was brought down from horse to ground.

Ganondorf erected his barrier about them as it was then made clear that from this fight that there would be no escape, no 'living to fight another day', and no respite. This would be a fight to death. Identically, the two fists shined forth of power and courage, the Master Sword shined forth and to greet it, Rauru's stolen blade shined in answer. So, the two titans took stance in array against the other. Night fell, and the storms of another age had awakened.

Link advanced upon his enemy as he dodged the sage's blade, and like his forefather, he danced about the might of the towering dark lord. But now he had the Master Sword, and soon the light of the sword's spirit thrusted against the exiled king as the sword spun. And in that moment of blindness, the blade of evil's bane crashed down upon the sage's blade against the earth, and Rauru's sword was broken. In determined recovery, Ganondorf came forth with his fist, and Link juked him after kind to his lesson with the golden wolf as the momentum of the Gerudo was used against himself. And Ganondorf crashed into the earth, stunned. Then in a moment's haste without hesitation, Link's blade pinned Ganondorf to the earth. The lightening flashed fiercely then as the thunder shared in Ganondorf's fatal cry. Link was thrown back then as the energy that poured forth from sword and man forced him. Ganon's spirit wreaked up as it brought Ganondorf to a stand, and at length as he spent his last breaths he spoke. However, the man did not speak as rather it was the voice of the passing spirit. "Do not think this ends here...The history of Light and Shadow will be written in blood!" Ganondorf eases in breath as he closes to his last, but then he notices a golden wolf standing before him on a dawning horizon, unnoticed by the others, and the Shade then revealed himself in his armor. At that, Ganondorf's eyes burned in realization, his head cocked, and then came the end of Ganondorf Dragmire as he stood still as stone, a reality of truth frozen in time. Link then saw the Shade having transfigured back to his golden form, they nodded to each other in acknowledgment, and then the wolf bounded off.

As time was settling, Link and Zelda, with guard, escorted Midna transformed as her true self, the Twilight Princess, and so she would leave Hyrule to return to Twilight. Upon a morning in the fields after camp, Link awoke to find the golden wolf greet him. But as he acknowledged the Shade, the wolf led him to a nearby hill whereby the youth of promise sat beside him. And there they watched the dawn of the rising sun, giving the world warmth of the grace of Din.

"As I failed to stop Ganondorf in the event of my death," The Shade said, "my spirit lingered in regret, and so with the Triforce of Courage, I waited for the Youth of Promise to take my role in place. But now that is done, and at last, Ganondorf's darkness is over. ... Thank you."

Link sighed, and gratefully, he replied, "Amidst all of this,...Thank you so much for being there. ... Thank you for caring as my forefather." Then Link pulled the golden wolf with arms him in embrace, and the Shade accepted it in warmth.

Afterwards, the wolf howled as it stood, and then it bounded off into the light of the rising sun. So did the farewell pass between the Shade of Time and the Youth of Promise.

How do you rate this chapter?
Results are only viewable after voting. You must be logged in to vote.
1