Chapter 5: Draugr Encounter.
1k 4 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I got lost in a forest that I am foreign with, but I still have hope. I can still track some of my footprints back and avoid any monsters that show up in my way.

With some chance, if I succeed at founding a marked tree. Then I can track my way back to the cave. Still, I should be careful. Still, there is a chance that goblins are wandering out there.

"I am tracking my footprints then." Thinking out loud helps me to relax.

Thanks to the snow, I can see my footprints well. Long as I avoid any threat on the way, a peaceful walk back home is waiting for me. I could even find something on my way. Who knows.

*****

My walk is going great for now. I did not encounter any living creature except some birds, but at the same time, I didn't find anything as well. I began getting bored on this walk.

"Huh, look at that." I finally went back enough to encounter the corpses of goblins and the snow siren. "Three goblins, one half-eaten, and a snow siren stabbed to death." Impressive.

I began inspecting the area a bit more. "Two daggers still stuck on the siren's corpse and their little pouches next to the goblin corpses." I grabbed one of the pouches from the ground. "Round-shaped coppers, I assume they are a currency used in this world. Voice, explain." I raised one of the coins to the air.

"Copper coins, currency with the lowest value. Every twenty coins from the lower value are equal to one coin from the higher value. Example twenty copper coins are equal to one silver coin." I don't know anything about prices in this world, but this exchange rate has a place in my mind.

I grabbed the other two pouches as well and began counting the money. "Thiry-one, thirty-two... With that last one, it makes forty-three copper coins in total, and I got five silver coins as well." Money means civilization, and civilization means humans.

I am happy with my life in the forest, but I don't mind going to a city and living there. I don't know what this world's cities are like, but living in a house is better than a cave.

I grabbed the two daggers stuck to the snow siren as well. I don't mind having spare weapons with me. Especially at a time which I lost my primary weapon.

After I put everything I got into my pack, I began tracking my footprints once again. Tracking my footprints is getting more troublesome as time passes. Snow carried by the wind is covering them. . "Only for a little more time, then I will reach the marked area."

I changed my walking to running. I escaped from the goblins on a straight line, so footprints are on a straight line as well.

*****

I stopped myself as I encountered goblin corpses scattered around. "What happened here." I walked next to them to inspect. "This is not a scar left by an animal. One who killed this creature must be a human using a weapon." I moved to another goblin. "Knife cut." Like the goblin before.

"Skeletons. It could be humans too." I don't know what fought here, but I count at least twelve goblin corpses. If one or ones who slaughtered these goblins are hostile, I must prepare myself.

I began collecting whatever I could from the goblins. "A short sword, here is an ax, this one was using a club, pass." I got more money and some weapons, but the amount I can carry is getting smaller.

I changed

*****

I am hearing screams and sounds of weapons colliding with each other. Sounds are not coming from far. I don't know if I should check it up, but creatures of this forest do not loot their dead enemies. I can scavenge the remains of the battleground.

I began moving towards the place where the sounds come. Behind the trees and bushes, I finally caught myself a view of the battlefield.

Goblins fighting against draugrs. No, draugrs are slaughtering the goblins. Only four draugrs are currently fighting. Still, they can handle the goblins, even though there are more than fifteen of them.

I moved a bit closer to get myself a better view, but I stumbled on something. "A draugr corpse. There is a short sword stuck on its chest." As I began moving closer to the fight scene, I stumbled on more corpses. All of them are goblins.

I began quietly watching the fight as it kept going on one side. Goblins were trying to circle and attack the draugrs from every side they could, but draugrs were walking off, doesn't matter how many times goblins stabbed them.

I looked back at the killed draugr who got stabbed in the chest. "I suppose these poor little creatures don't know the weakness of their enemies."

I want to intervene in the fight so bad, but will joining be too much of a risk? I can watch them from far until one side is defeated, then I can kill the remaining ones, but I don't want to.

Killing skeletons or goblins is not something I enjoy. They are not fun enough to kill. "I want a real challenge." I draw the short sword I got from the goblin corpse. "It has been a long time since I killed a human. More than a year since I pressed the trigger."

I dashed out of the bush and charged to one of the draugrs, stabbed it from the back. "Not the same thing, but will do good enough." Draugr collapsed to the ground and stopped moving.

"I want more." Half of the goblins were dead, and the remaining ones were fleeing. Only I and the three other draugrs left to fight.

So, draugrs directed their interest towards me. Compared to the other enemies I fought, they were much better armed. While the best weapon I got from the skeleton was my spear, draugrs with swords and leather armor. "Still, it isn't anything I can't pierce through and nothing I cannot block."

I pulled out the mace and grabbed it with my empty hand. I will use it to block incoming attacks, as I don't trust this short sword that much. "Come and get some."

Draugrs began moving towards me at high speed. I assume draugrs are hungry for blood as well. I cannot say I am currently in a different state, so we are even.

The first draugr came to the range. I thrust my sword forward, but the draugr managed to block it with its sword, but rather than pulling my sword away, I began pressing harder and locked our swords. "Good night." I swung my dagger towards draugrs head.

My mace strike stunned the draugr, so I thrust my sword into its chest with taking support from both of my hands, killing it. "That makes two, and we have two more to go."

As I tried to pull my sword out of draugrs chest, another one slashed his sword towards me, so I left the sword at draugrs chest and blocked the incoming attack with my mace.

Draugrs are not letting me breathe. Both of them are continuously attacking me, not allowing me to strike them back. "I need to do something."

One of the draugrs made a mistake and took a step back for a more powerful attack. "Now!" I parried the first slash and before the other draugr swung his sword. I managed to hit his head and stun him.

I dashed towards the draugr and slammed my mace towards his head with all my power. I heard a cracking sound from the draugrs jaw. I picked a dagger from my pack and pierced his left eye with it.

Draugr made a hurt sound as I pierced his eye. "Then I can do that." I stabbed his other eye as well and left the dagger stuck there. "Now, I can deal with only one of you." Blinded draugr began moving around trying to hit me, but it fell to the ground after it stumbled on a goblin corpse

I turned towards the other draugr. "You don't even know how fucked up currently you are." With the other dagger on my hand and the mace on the other. I began slowly approaching towards the last draugr.

I threw the dagger towards the draugr, and when it raised his sword to block incoming projectile, I slammed my mace towards its knee, causing it to fall. Then I continued my attack with a vertical swing towards his head.

The badly damaged draugr collapsed to the ground. It was still alive, but head trauma was causing forcing him to stay still. I began smashing his head with my mace.

Rotten and dried flesh was scattering everywhere as I struck. I don't care about anything anymore. "I need that. I want that. I want more!" I began hitting even harder to draugrs face.

Draugrs face turned into mashed potato, remaining of his brain scattered around. "That's all you have." I got up from the ground and turned towards the draugr I blinded. It was trying to get up from the ground.

I stabbed him from the back and killed it. "I am done with it." I pulled my dagger out from the draugrs back and rolled its corpse away with my feet. "That's for today."

Suddenly a screen appeared in front of me.

[Feat Achieved: Draugr Hunter.

Rewards: Small increase in physical attributes]

"That's a start."

34