XVIII
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

OUTSET APPEARED on the horizon two days later, after the great sea had been lit up by the stars. Link couldn't actually see the island, but he now had his stargazing book again, and was making ample use of the chapter on navigation.

Link placed Aryll's telescope to his eye, just barely making out a dark blot blocking out stars. He came close to the island, and steered around the steep cliffs at its back, something he didn't see too much.

"Where do you think it is?" Link asked the King of Red Lions.

"There is a relief carved into the stone," the King noticed.

Link looked closer in Aryll's telescope, and found that he was right. There was a faint archway carved into it, with wave-like swirls decorating the inside of the arch. He pulled them closer, and put out the anchor. Turning the swivel cannon to the side, Link slid the cannonball in, finding with satisfaction that it did in fact fit.

Taking a flint and steel that was in the gun's part of the locker, he struck the fuse, and aimed.
The boat lurched backward, and the cannon thundered. A second later, the loud sound of it striking the stone dropped off a large chunk of rock. After firing another blast, Link caused the entire archway to collapse, revealing a cave.

The sight of it made him weary. He was extremely sick of caves and dark, dangerous places.

However, he sighed in relief that he had found a way forward again, pulled out the windwaker, and directed the wind to give them a slight breeze into the cave.

"Stop," the King said once they'd traveled for a minute or so inside.

Link dropped the anchor. A large ripple came through the water. The boat rose with the wave, and rose higher with a second ripple. Instead of a third ripple, there was instead a large splash, and a dark shape burst from the water.

Link shielded his face with his arm, barely keeping the water from hitting his face. After a few moments, the water settled.

It was a fish, with a strange antenna coming out of its head that had a glowing light at its tip. The light illuminated the surrounding cave, revealing the fish's large eyes. The fish spoke.

Link wasn't even surprised by these things anymore. However, its speaking was in an unfamiliar language. Ancient Hylian, he was sure, the same language the great deku tree had spoken in when he first met him.

"Yes Jabun," the King of Red Lions said, understanding the words, "we did travel to Greatfish Isle."

Jabun spoke again.

"Jabun says that he fled here with the pearl," the King explained.

More speaking. Light came from beneath the water. A small ripple released a levitating blue orb.

"Nayru's Pearl," Link observed.

"Yes," the King of Red Lions said, "Lord Jabun offers it to you."

"Thank you," Link said, the blue tinted globe floating into his hands. Like the others, it had an emblem engraved in the front. The emblem had three circles in a triangle shape, reminiscent of the Triforce. It also reminded him though, of the fact that he'd now done it. He could now gain access to the blade of evil's bane. The master sword.

Water-like smoke roiled within the interior of the glass, crashing up against the sides of the sphere like breaking surf.

"Jabun says that Ganondorf did indeed destroy the island," the King informed, "he was able to feel the pressure of the dark one's magic."

"What should I do now that I have the emblems of the Triforce?" Link asked.

"You must go to three small isles," the King instructed, "isles that form the points of a gigantic triangle. Once you place the Pearls within their keyholes on each of these isles, it will open the way for you to proceed."

"Will I be able to get the Pearls back?" Link asked, remembering Komali.
"Yes," the King said. "Once the gate is open, the keys may be returned to their owners."

Thank goodness. Jabun descended back beneath the water.

Before he left the island, Link moored the King of Red Lions at the small dock, and walked towards his family's home. He wasn't sure if they were awake. It was late. He didn't think it was midnight yet though.

He nearly broke into tears at seeing the familiar cliffs and trees of Outset again. It was such a bizarre feeling, seeing it all again after all this time. His home stood before him, and he slowly slipped through the door.

Several lamps and candles burned still. He heard footsteps, and a moment later, felt his heart melt as his parents walked into his view.

"Link!" mom cried, embracing him, "you're alive!"

He felt his worries disappear for a moment with his arms around his mom and dad. And then those concerns returned. Aryll was not in this moment with them.

"Mom, dad," he began to sob, "I tried. I saw Aryll. She's alive." His parents seemed relieved.
"But," Link said, "I don't know if I can save her. I know that you won't believe me, but... her kidnapper is... it is him. Shadow incarnate. The ancient Ganondorf."

"What?" mom said, her face draining of all its color. "Why... how could this happen? What would such an evil creature want with my little girl?"

"He's captured other young girls mom," Link told her, "I tried to free her, but that gigantic helmaroc bird picked me up, and I... I failed. I put so much effort into trying to save her, but..."
He felt his father's gentle but firm hand on his shoulder.

"Link," he said, "I'm so proud of you. I'm amazed that you were willing to risk your own life to save your sister. No effort you've made has been wasted."

"But Aryll is still trapped there," Link said. "And I'm not going to let her rot in a cell any longer - or any of those girls."

"What are you going to do?" mom asked.

"I've learned that...," he took a deep breath. "I needed to gather three emblems of the triforce. I've already done that. With them, I'll be able save Aryll."

"How?" dad asked.

He took another deep breath. His parents deserved to know what he was doing. What he was getting himself into.

"I'm going to fight him. I'm going to battle Ganondorf."

His parents were silent.

"I'm going to obtain the ancient master sword using these emblems of the triforce, and defeat him," Link explained.

He looked hesitantly on his parents' motionless expressions. 

"Dad," he said, "I.... I know that this... this seems impossible."

"No," his father said. "I do not allow for such thinking. But... the ancient Gerudo thief..."

"Link," mom said, "there's got to be another way."

"Ganondorf will come after us if I try to free the kidnapped girls," Link said. "He could come here. He could lay waste to the whole island."

"Who told you these things?" his father asked.

Link looked down at his boots, and sighed. "A talking boat."

****

"Well...," his father said a few minutes later, "this... is odd."

"I understand your disposition," the King of Red Lions said. "I am an uncommon sight."

"Yes," mom said, "that's one way of describing it."

"Your son has done a great many things," the King said. "I believe him capable of the task he is about to undertake."

"I don't believe he is capable," dad said.

Link was surprised. 

His father gripped Link's shoulder with resolute firmness.

"I know he is capable."

Link reached up and gripped his father's wrist. He turned around, and his father bent down to be at eye level with him.

"You don't have to be perfect Link," he said, "to be a hero. To be a hero, all you have to do is place the needs of others above your own."

"I don't know," he said. "I've barely gotten this far. I'm not sure I feel worthy to be wearing this clothing."

His dad gave him a reassuring smile. "I'm not so sure the hero of time was perfect either," he said. "And I never got to tell you on your birthday... it makes me feel so proud as a father to see you wearing these clothes. And you deserve to wear them. You've done the things that a hero does."

He stood back up.

"And besides, they fit you." He laughed. "In the sense that, they look right on you. I've always felt like you were a good kid Link. Don't ever judge yourself to be of naught."

"Before I leave," Link said, "can I see grandma?"

His mother's face became downcast again, though, her expression hadn't brightened much.

"Grandma's taken ill," mom said. "She's had little strength, and can barely speak. It's been hard for her, having both of you leave."

Link's eyes drew large, and sorrowful.

"You don't think...," Link started. He couldn't finish.

"It will be alright," mom comforted.

Link felt deeply troubled. He loved his grandma. He didn't want to lose any of his family members anytime soon. But then he remembered.

He ran over to the King of Red Lions, hopped in and snatched up his satchel.

"Link?" dad asked, "what are you doing?"

"Healing grandma," he said simply.

Link jumped back onto the dock and ran back to the house, mom and dad following. His parents led him into grandma's room, where she lay sleeping in her bed. Grandma looked like she was extremely frail indeed. Her body shuddered with every breath. Her skin had lost much of its color. It scared him for a moment.

"Link," mom said, "she's been unresponsive. I know you mean well, but I don't see that you can do much."

He pulled a jar from his satchel. It wasn't just any ordinary jar. It contained the fairy he'd been given in the Forest Haven.

He unstopped the container next to grandma, and the wispy orb lighted on grandma's chest.
The fairy decreased in brightness, and fluttered out the window. Light from the fairy remained on grandma's chest, and slowly flowed into her body. The warm, familiar rosiness returned to her cheeks. Her body seemed renewed. She opened her eyes, and sat up.

"Could it be?" she said, "my grandson?"

She embraced him, with a noticeable strength in her arms. She kissed him on the forehead, and Link began to unfold what had happened since he'd left. When he finished, grandma took a deep breath.

"This is something very dangerous you are planning to do Link," she said, "but if there's anyone who can do it on the great sea, it's you."

She gave him another kiss on the forehead.

Despite their objections, Link insisted that he was going to leave right away. Any time he wasted was more time for Ganondorf to carry out his plans, and cause possible danger to Aryll. He couldn't afford for the other islanders to discover he was there and be held up longer talking to all of them the next morning.
After exchanging more hugs with them at the dock - including grandma, whom he'd barely seen walk so quickly, and so straight backed in years, he jumped back aboard his vessel, and charted a course for the nearest isle with a key to the master sword.

As he watched Outset fade in the distance for the second time, he discovered something interesting on the deck before him. It was the jar that had before held the fairy. It was now filled with grandma's soup.

A smile came to Link's face. Even if it meant risking his life, he would do it. He would do it to experience simple moments like this again.

2