Chapter 11: Motivation
304 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For an hour, silence pervade the dungeon, almost as if everything inside was waiting for something to happen.

After the silence had settled for a little more than an hour, Starlid spoke again. "Corvis… I know you're a little freaked out right now, so I have an idea. How about you tell me a little bit about the world? That may help take your mind off of…. Whatever it was that happened." said Starlid, a much more reserved tone than usual.

"I appreciate the effort, but I feel fine now. Whatever happened is over now. But we can talk about the outside world either way. What do you want to know about?" Corvis asked after a moment of surprise.

"Well… I was curious about your past? What did you do? What was your life like? Who were you? You know about me, the little there is at least, but all I know is that you were a biomancer, whatever that is." The elemental said as it sat down.

"I was a biomancer, as you said. We use magic to manipulate living things." Corvis said as he thought back to his past, "I specialized in finding the weaknesses of pests and using that to kill them while simultaneously preventing the crops from being damaged. Of course, that also entailed making sure whatever I was using wasn't dangerous to humans."

"So you used it to understand the weaknesses of certain animals and prevent collateral damage?"

"Exactly, that was one of the few powers left reasonably developed, at least nowadays," Corvis said cryptically, clearly trying to hint at something.

"What do you mean nowadays?" Starlid asked, taking the bait.

"Biomancy was much more developed before the purge," Corvis stated, sadness creeping into his voice. "Some Biomancers were doing terrible things. Eventually, something happened to the children of some kings and nobles, even some members of the church of Pelena. As a result, they hunted the perpetrators down and killed them. When they weren't satisfied with that, they decided it was their job to make sure this didn't happen again, so they killed practitioners and destroyed their works. All that was left was simple uses, like examining bodies and helping with minor health problems. "

"Really? That sounds like a harsh punishment. Why did they take it out on people that weren't involved?"

"That's the way the world is sometimes. Some people don't care for life. Life can be unfair, and if someone did wrong with a power similar to yours, you might be punished for it."

"That sounds… bleak. So what keeps you mortals going?"

"I'm not quite sure. Our hopes, dreams, aspirations? Those we love? The fear of death? I'm not sure which, if any, are the reason. Maybe a mix of all of them."

"What about you? What kept you going and made you attempt to extend your time alive?"

Corvis paused for a moment before responding. "I suppose the biggest reason was my dream. I wanted to make a spell. I wanted my name carved into reality itself by making a spell so that I was never forgotten. So that I proved I'm more than just a mediocre biomancer."

Starlid scratched its chin. "So, I suppose by how you describe it, making a spell is a significant achievement. Something to make your name exist forever in the history books."

"No, it's not about the history books. Those can be changed. When you make a spell, that spell is written into the very fabric of reality. Anyone who learns the spell knows you! Your name, your struggles, why you made the spell. I wanted that. I wanted to make a biomancy spell. Very few exist, and I wanted to have my name up there with the greats, even if I was just a mediocre mage. I wanted to be more than just average for once. But that never happened, so I devised a way to extend the time I had to try."

"Do you still want that?" Starlid asked, curiosity steeping its voice.

Corvis responded almost instantly, "My new lot in life has changed things. I have all the time in the world to create a spell, but now… now I can do things no humans can. I can uncover the mysteries that have plagued the races for as long as we have existed and deepen my understanding of creatures far more than a biomancer can!"

Starlid shook its head, "I suppose being functionally immortal does have a way to change plans. You have all the time in the world to make a spell and improve your craft."

"Exactly. Naturally, my goals have changed. I still want to make a spell, but now I have as much time as I need! I have an eternity to study biomancy, improve myself and then create a spell, forever cementing my place in the school of biomancy!"

"That's great!" Starlid paused in thought, "But that can't be all. That couldn't be the only thing that motivated you."

"Well, of course. I had a great apprentice, much more talented than myself. I loved the young man like a son. And my family was always there for me, helping me. So I suppose those around me helped motivate me to make the ritual as well. I wanted to spend more time with all those I held dear to me. But I'm not a human anymore, Gods, I'm not even a member of the mortal races anymore. So I guess that part of the plan went out the window." Corvis replied, sadness creeping into his voice as he finished.

"Maybe you will see them again. Who knows what will happen." replied the elemental cheerfully.

"Maybe I will. That is, if the strings of fate are kind."

Should I switch perspective?
  • Yes Votes: 1 11.1%
  • No Votes: 8 88.9%
Total voters: 9
6