Chapter 2: Last Test and Mentor
97 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up bright and early, at least I think so, the sun is shining the birds are singing, on day like these... wait no I am in another world, how did I forget that? I fiddle with my system absentmindedly only to find something interesting in the SOUL options

Soul Options

Main Soul

(Current) Determination

Sub Soul

(Choose) ______________

Ooooo, I see, I can choose a sub soul to support the main one? Based on the powers of the soul which would be a good fit? I can always swap them so the decision isn't too pressing right now. 

Thinking about it, the main things SOUL affected was magic. This seems to be a cultivation type world from my memories, so I wonder how it will play into cultivation in general. I walk out of my room in my new robes, discarding my torn ones into into my inventory. They disappear, I guess they don't count as an Item or something like that. Walking out into the hall I see doors opening and other disciples walking out and down the hall. The old man from yesterday did say we'd have another test so I just follow behind everyone else. Even though I am just following along the others would keep turning their head to glance at me which I blatantly noticed. I was first place in the first test so it makes sense the others are curious about me. We supposedly have two tests after the first so hopefully I can pass those two as well. Maybe not first place because I should be more low-key.

We are led into a small circular room with various stone plates on the floor. I different old man is standing in the middle, and once everyone entered the room, the doors behind us closed.

"Attention Apprentice Disciples. You have all passed the first test by making it past the minimum amount of steps. However not a single one of you should be cocky, as we are onto the real test that will designate your future in the sect. Each of you will take a seat and meditate with a testing marble in your hands. It will test your soul aptitude by displaying a color. The faster it lights up the stronger your aptitude. If you fail to light up the marble you will be kicked out of the sect. Depending on the color your marble becomes you will be assigned as an inner or outer disciple. I will pass out the marbles now." (Mysterious old man #2)

As soon as he had finished speaking I felt a weight in my hand, and looking down a clear marble appeared in my hand. Looking up, everyone else seemed to have gotten one too. Sitting down on one of the stone mats I think about how to do this. If this were a cultivation novel I'd have to direct my inner energy towards this marble for it to detect my strength. But how am I supposed to direct my soul at this thing? Looking up at the others, they are just sitting in the lotus position and their marbles are softly glowing, but not taking on a color yet. Mine however is still just clear. Closing my eyes I open my menu.

 

 

 

Twil

LV 1

G 0

 

 

 

ITEM

STAT

SOUL

"Twil"

LV 1

HP 20/20

 

AT 0(0)          EXP 0

DF 5(0)          NEXT 10

 

WEAPON: Stick

ARMOR: Sect Robes

GOLD: 0

 

 

 

I suppose I should try and enter battle with it? If you can get into conflict with a dummy surely a marble can't be all that hard. The only soul I know that can actively attack would be Justice. So lets do that. Selecting Justice as my new main soul I get into battle with the testing marble. Opening my eyes I'm in a black and white space and the marble is hovering in front of me about 3 feet away.  Holding up my finger gun I attack it, saying 'bang' out loud. A yellow energy bullet sort of shoots from my finger and hits the marble straight on. Instead of lighting up it shatters to pieces. When I blink I'm back in the circular room and everyone is looking at me. I wasn't sitting anymore and my marble had been turned into a pile of dust on the floor. The old man is looking with his jaw wide open.

"Oops." (Me)

The room is silent for a bit and then the old man quietly leads me out of the room. He tells everyone else to continue. In the hall he looks at me weirdly.

"How did you do that?" (Mysterious old man #2)

"I just hit it with my soul, wasn't that what we were supposed to do?" (Me)

"No! You were supposed to get into a meditative state and let the marble scan your soul, not attack it! You shouldn't even be able to do that as an apprentice, that's an outward use that only masters should be able to accomplish. How did you do it?" (Mysterious test old man)

"I closed my eyes, and when I opened them I was in a completely black room with the marble in front of me, so I blasted it, that's all." (Me)

"... You can enter your own soul space?! If you had said that sooner you could have directly gotten in without a test in the first place! Where did you come from kid?!" the old man was getting a kind of crazed look on his face.

"I don't know! I just woke up in the forest near here!" I say in a panic due to the old man shaking me by my shoulders.

"You came out of the forbidden forest?! How are you alive?!" (Mysterious old man #2)

"I DON'T KNOW!!" I say practically screaming.

I middle age man appears behind the old man shaking me. I couldn't tell where he came from. He puts his hand on the old man's shoulder.

"Asorus calm down. Your scaring the poor kid." He looks at me with a kind smile.

The old man turns around in an instant and bows. "I'm very sorry sect leader."

Whaaaa? The middle aged guy is the Sect Leader? I was expecting some ancient guy with a Gandalf beard. He looks like some neighbors sporty uncle. The old man, Asorus was his name, calm down and look back at me, but doesn't say anything.

"Your quite talented at such a young age, do you want to be my disciple?" asks the sect leader. Asorus looks shocked at the offer. Suddenly 10 people are rushing down the hall towards us.

"SEEEECCCCTTT LEEEAAADERRR WAAIITTT!!!!!" (???'s)

Now I'm in a crowded hallway with 13 people in it including me. From the look of it, it seems these are the council for the sect and they all want me to be their disciple. So much for being low-key.

 

2