Chapter 77: Toscana Requiem | Two and a Half Men
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took Brutus some time but after enough groveling and then some finger-pointing on where to go, the giant stumbles his way into D-2. He’s never been on the Mathilda before, much less any ship other than the Castelforte and the big boss’s ship, so this ostensibly large ship has been rather difficult to navigate for the Scarface ’s subordinate. The Mathilda seems deceptively larger than it has any reason to be. The interior is so wide that Brutus wouldn't dismiss the possibility of several large pack animals moving through these corridors with ease.

And perhaps because of that, it’s a fortune that the Mathilda has such a huge carrying capacity. The men and women of the Taiga litter the Mathilda’s hallways no matter which corridor he heads into. It pains his chest to see them in such destitute conditions. From discarded bandages lay about, to used bloodied medical instruments hastily thrown aside or left behind on mountainous trays. Brutus can only imagine what went through Li ’s mind as she passed through these unfortunate souls—alone. Without someone to share her burden, and that of course pains Brutus.

Brutus hurries along, lost in thoughts. But eventually, the strides slow down until the man stops altogether. In the midst of half-dead and wounded, Brutus ponders what he would even do once he catches up with Li. On one hand, if Olga happens to be alive, he’ll be relieved that Li won’t further lose herself to sorrow. But for Brutus, it also means he would be nothing more than a simple confidant to her. Perhaps even less than that now, given Li plans to effectively retire from the Castelforte, it would mean seeing less of Li than what he has since before this Toscana conflict started. And that weighs heavily in Brutus’s heart.

Before Brutus realizes it, he’s envious of Olga. Li cares about her men deeply, rather she is aware of their various feelings for her or not. But the one that matters the most in the woman’s heart is Olga—or Simon if Brutus has to guess. Olga will be able to remain by Li’s side forever, and the likes of him will be doomed to a lousy life on the Castelforte. Envious, huh? Brutus ponders.

And the bear-of-a-man stops, disturbed by his train of thoughts. Maybe Li was right on the mark about him back on the Castelforte. Maybe Brutus did drink beyond his means to do. Even now the alcohol he consumed hours ago feels as though it rubs off on him. A Buff? Or would this be a hangover, perhaps? Brutus groans, and as he does so he leans against the wall left in ponder if he should still check on Li—to give her well-deserved piracy with Olga—or to turn back and wait for her in Carla’s shuttle.

Just as Brutus decides to turn back for Carla’s shuttle, he nearly collides into a confrontation with a passerby. Brutus nearly knocks him over, and out of abrupt consideration offers the downed man a hand up. “Sorry ‘bout that, my head was stuck in the clouds,” Brutus remarks as the man steadies himself. There is something off about the fellow that Brutus strikes as odd. Brutus certainly feels like he has seen the scruffy fellow before. The man neither looks like a possible patient nor has an armband designating him as a volunteer nurse. Could he be a visitor, perhaps?

“It was my fault for not looking,” the man grunts dusting his poncho off. He looks up at Brutus and squints, “say, I feel like I’ve seen you around before,” a scratch of his stubble before continuing “but I can’t put my finger on it.”

“Yeah, I was thinking the same, actually,” Brutus replies wryly, crossing his huge arms in the process.

“You certainly don’t look like you have gentle hands for tending patients, either,” the man concludes. Brutus brushes off the insult in preparation for his own, but before he gets the chance to refute, he is struck by a bolt of lightning at an abrupt revelation. With a heavy sigh, Brutus slaps himself on the side of the head. Why didn't I realize it sooner? Brutus laments.

“You…,” Brutus squints, “you’re… Sergi, are you not?” After a pause of thoughtfulness, Sergi gives a slight nod.

“Brutus, right?” Sergi asks with a sly smile “or as Li likes to say… ‘that overly-concerned giant oaf’,” Brutus gives a nod in response, wincing in the process.

“Yes, yes. You’re right on the mark,” Brutus says with a shrug, “well, it might not be the most pleasant way to finally become acquainted with you, but a pleasure to meet you, regardless.”

“Likewise,” Sergi says with another nod “but that aside, let’s continue conversing on the way back to our shuttles,” Sergi says gesturing for the oaf to walk with him back in the direction Brutus came from. Brutus, confused, doesn’t join him at first and crosses his arms.

“We aren’t joining Li and… Olga?” Brutus asks, rather hesitantly. Given that Li hasn’t come back with Sergi, it could mean one of two things: either she wants time alone to grieve Olga’s death or Sergi left them alone to reconcile.

“Olga is alive and recovering,” Sergi says as he begins walking. For a few moments, those words bring Brutus assurance. But at the same time, deep down Brutus finds himself almost pained by the news—in some sense, his hopes dashed. Maybe it’s the alcohol, Brutus somberly ponders, before shaking the idea off and catching up to Sergi. “I believe the two deserve some time alone together after everything they’ve been through,” Sergi states shooting a glance at Brutus “it’s the most we can do for them… I imagine if we were present, it would only make our hearts ache, don’t you think?”

Brutus ponders the question in silence as they make their way through this frustrating maze. Unfortunately for Sergi, Brutus has more or less already forgotten the way back to the shuttle bay. Fortunately for Brutus, Sergi has spent more time and thus seems more knowledgeable on the Mathilda’s layout. As Brutus searches for an answer and thinks about Sergi’s words, he suddenly breaks the spell of silence with a question of his own. “So what made you go out of your way to check upon a captain like Olga—causing Li all this time instead of convening with the other captains at the Montepuez?

There is no response from Sergi even after a while leaving Brutus unsure if Sergi doesn't intend to answer. As they near the shuttle bay, Sergi clears his throat and speaks. “I could very well ask why you would bother wasting time escorting the Madame when you clearly looked agonized at the thought of Li and Olga being together,” Sergi concludes. Brutus crosses his arms again, frowning with curled lips. Agonized? Brutus wonders, well, perhaps the man isn't too far off with his assumption. “I’m right, aren’t I?” Sergi asks as if taunting the larger man.

Rather than head for either shuttle, the duo makes their way towards a vacant part of the bay, out of earshot of any wandering personnel. “Maybe so…” Brutus replies wryly, “would you say it was worth going out of your way to pay Olga a visit?” Brutus eyes the older but smaller man closely “worth the potential wrath of both the Don and the Madame? Sergi leans against the wall, blowing air as his gaze wanders off.

“Was it worth it, huh?” The gruff man muses as he runs a hand through his oily-like hair, “that ‘Don’ bastard can go straight to hell. Looking back on it now, maybe I made a fatal mistake of not going in Olga’s stead. Li knew she would likely do something irrational—and she did. I should’ve objected—and I didn’t.”

“And as for Li?” Brutus asks, continuing his observation of the gruff captain. Sergi doesn’t say anything but merely shakes his head.

“Luckily, Li didn’t seem too concerned about my absence,” Sergi replies, and Brutus sighs in relief, “she came for Olga, after all; not me. Li was never the one to punish her subordinates over mundane things. I was rather surprised she came so late, but I suppose the obligations to the Don took priority.

“She was gravely torn over it,” Brutus interjects “Li mulled over her decision between Olga and the Don. She feared that the boss would do something rash if she of all people didn't show up.”

“I would imagine so,” Sergi lifts his head against the wall, “I had it easier than she did, I suppose. But coming back to your earlier question… was it worth neglecting my duty to check up on Olga? Well…” Sergi coughs and crosses his arms tightly, “Olga was rather shocked to see me. She expressed her gratitude at first, but…” Sergi trails off with a frown.

“All she could talk about was Li?” Brutus asks. It’s a few moments before Sergi reluctantly answers with a nod. “This might be a little direct… but am I to assume you have feelings for Olga?” To Brutus’s surprise, Sergi practically scoffs and glances at his counterpart with a smirk. “That must be rough,” Brutus says wryly, “but I feel your pain.”

“Sharing pain?” Sergi says trying to stifle a laugh, “the pain of unrequited love, huh?” For some odd reason, Brutus felt like it was a good opportunity to open up about the drunken confession to Li. “You have my sincere condolences,” Sergi says not-so-convincingly, unabashedly grinning. For some reason or another, Brutus couldn’t help but burst out into laughter causing Sergi to let loose as well.

After the duo calms down Sergi continues, “to drag yourself through the mud for Li’s sake, that’s a dedication I can only admire. Particularly through this hellish fight, we endured through, where everyone pins their hopes and dreams upon a single person,” a deep breath, “it must’ve taken a tremendous toll on Li. How I envy that you could be by her side during these trying times,” Sergi says softly, “to see the one you love in pain—and you’re too helpless to do anything.”

“I felt I did what I could,” Brutus sighs, “I’m just glad we have closure to this whole thing… not just Olga, but the Fed threat as well,” that remark causes a look of doubt by Sergi.

“You truly believe that the Metropolitans will simply back out of the Mafia’s sphere of influence? Only a fool would believe…” Sergi pauses and frowns, “that’s what Li thinks, doesn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Brutus says, rubbing his chin, “though there’s a bigger cast of doubt if they will redouble their efforts in the Frankish Domains. But she believes we managed to achieve a, er… tactical victory to say the least. The Feds have suffered so many losses that she is inclined to believe they won’t dare risk any more losses attempting to conquer the Toscana region,” as Brutus finishes Sergi gives a nod of approval.

“The most we can do is wait and see the Feds next movement,” Sergi says “but I can see what the Madame may be getting at. Toscana is not worth a sea of blood, much less an ounce. We can only hope that the Fed high command is not full of buffoons to commit to such an atrocity.

“The looming Metropolitan threat aside…,” Brutus hesitantly pauses, unsure if he should share Li’s plans for the future, “Li didn’t tell you what she plans to do once this all ends, did she?” Intrigued, Sergi scratches his stubbly chin.

“She didn’t. We didn’t talk much at all, to say the least,” Sergi remarks more than a little concerned. Brutus, after deeply exhaling, spills the beans on Li’s wish for a reclusive life raising orphaned children. When Brutus finishes, Sergi is silent for the longest time. When Brutus examines him, the man looks flabbergasted, to say the least. “I shouldn’t be surprised… but frankly, given her youth, it would make sense for her to want to provide welfare to those now robbed of a proper future.”

“What do you mean?” Brutus asks. Sergi shoots him a surprised look.

“You’re close to her, and you don’t know how she wounded up in the Mafia?” Sergi asks with bemusement. Brutus, now more intrigued, shakes his head. “She didn’t join the Mafia out of her free will —her family was slaughtered when she was a mere child. Simon… and by extent, the Mafia has been her found family ever since then.” Brutus leans heavily against the wall, baffled by the news. I truly had no idea, he thinks lightly bumping his head against the wall, I truly had no idea Li had such an unfortunate past.

“What do you intend to do?” Brutus asks, “will you follow in their footsteps?… you have control of the Hugh, I believe it was?” When Brutus finishes, Sergi clears his throat and rubs his neck anxiously.

“Truthfully, I don’t know,” Sergi tersely says, “I can’t imagine leaving either alone to care for little ones—” it’s a comment that evokes a laugh from Brutus, “you think so too, don’t you? Especially in the state that Olga is in… I imagine she will get a prosthetic arm eventually. As it stands, the two of them deal with hundreds of man-children. Yet, that’s a whole world’s different than dealing with literal babes.”

“I told Li that I wasn’t sure about spending my days changing diapers or rearing children,” Brutus says “not to mention that a group like us would give kids the stuff of nightmares,” Brutus lifts his burly hands to his face “these hands were never meant for tender loving care.” Sergi’s only response is a chuckle and Brutus embarrassingly rubs the back of his head. “I did reassure Li that I wouldn't mind stopping every often to help out in any way I can.” Sergi nods, pushing away from the wall and towards his shuttle.

“I believe I will do the same…” Sergi comments rather laconically, “maybe play a more active role in helping them out. This might sound pathetic… but I truly care for Olga. I want to help her out in any way I can, even if I am treated so much as a neglected dog. So long as Olga is happy…”

“Then you’re happy, right?” Brutus finishes for him. Sergi glances back, blowing air as a response. “If you’re heading for your shuttle, perhaps I can join you for a while. I imagine the two will be intimate for a while. If you have some booze stocked, I’m sure we can share our sorrows over some drinks to pass the time.” Sergi shoots him a grin—a scoff. Then Sergi proceeds towards his shuttle.

“I don’t see why not… I gotta warn you, however. I like my drinks strong. If you’re inclined, though, I do have some other drinks to mix it with if you’re too much of a pansy.” Brutus nearly cringes at the tactical blunder he may soon commit but tries to laugh it off.

“After today, I’ll need the strongest shit to wash my sorrow down. Live in the moment, and worry about the future later,” Brutus says coolly, grimacing a little. Sergi must’ve taken notice of Brutus’s reluctance and nearly roars in laughter.

“A good attitude to have,” Sergi remarks as he instructs the nearby Elena to prepare for their hospitality, then confirms with Feliks that they still have a supply of liquor left on the shuttle. “Li was right to handpick you as a handyman, I’ll give her that much!”

Original authors note transplanted from RR, just so you guys get some love :)

  A year ago around this time, I began serial-writing what was the first draft of Saga of the Cosmic Heroes. After some feedback in the first week or two of publication, I made the decision of scrapping that draft and starting the narrative over since I was convinced it wasn't very good. What followed was an unbelievably messy start, one that I was equally not confident of.

  But as time went on I was content with how the story was turning out, even more so after I got around to rewriting the leftover 1st draft chapters into ~Military Boots Reminiscence~ and felt that there was, at long last, a cohesive story without leftover spoiler chapters that kept me awake at night.

  I could go on about how quarantine impacted my writing, but frankly, I won't. Life and especially my daytime job remained the same as it always did until mid-December when I became infected from a non-work-related source and I got so sick around the Jung Lee chapters that I really did believe I would die without finishing SotCH and without any way for people to get some closure on the story, even if it meant just bullet point summaries of what happens later. But I recovered and life has been the same as always.

  But I pulled through, and though I'm still nowhere close to finishing SotCH, I hope I live long enough that I can finish the story in some form or another. I think so long as I have everyone's support, no matter how small, I'm sure I will finish it one day. Even if RR dies and I lose my PC or something, I'll find a way to continue writing and delivering chapters. 

  This ended up sort of long-winded. But I just wanted to say: Thank you to those die-hard readers for following SotCH since the very beginning, since March/April 2020. And thank you to everyone else who has picked up SotCH in its voyage since then. I know I say this a lot but I really do mean it: from the bottom of my heart, thank you for following and reading a story that means the world to me. I hope in the coming months and years I can whisk you all away to another world to experienc the joys, sorrows, and laughter of fictional waifus and husbandos, even if it's only for a few minutes at most.


With that out of the way... in commemoration of the one-year serialization of SotCh, I commissioned gar32 for a pic featuring Vick and the gang. On a semi-related note, I may commission him again for another cover art for this new volume, since I believe I've had the current one for too long.

2