Chapter 111 Too Late to be Early
249 10 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1st Welkalach of Jariel 1238

Belgrynd's POV

Hmm, there are now more of them, if I had to guess, around 20 thousand in each base. To be honest, I do not want to interfere, saving people is one thing, but if I appear here, there is no doubt I will stick out like a sore thumb. Plus, I can't even explain why I am there in the first place, what if the same thing that happened on this continent happened before... I know where the humans are, knowing where they come from, and even when they will attack, I will look suspicious. Urgh... decisions... 

But just right then, a nice ringing sound happened. It is the manacom that Paelisher gave me. I wonder why is he calling me now...

" Hello?" I said, to be fair, I am not sure if there is this type of culture here. Is it even called hello? 

" Ah yes, let me make this short. Petrasha and the others are now totally out of the control of the demon... and your friend... Christine is the one who killed him." Paelisher told me the news... Christine? Really? She is the one who killed him? 

" I am not sure about her character but it seems like what she did is pretty shocking hmm. Doesn't matter, at least with this, you can come back now and reunite with your friends." Paelisher said, but... I don't want to stop what I am doing halfway...

" I need some help. There are currently a lot of humans gathering and attacking the capital of the kingdom of Geolicus. I want to warn them but... if I directly show up it would be too suspicious." I told him, then explain as much as I can to him, from the number of pests to the direction they are going to come from.

" This... is problematic... they won't have enough soldiers. From what I know, all of the demon kingdoms just started a joint raid on the human ports... which means they are definitely not prepared for a siege like this. If it could even be called a siege. I will give you the frequency, just give them a warning. I will tell them that I sent you there. And no, it had to be you, if I were the one who give the message, it would imply I am spying on them, which would not do any of us good." Paelisher said, cutting off what I wanted to ask before a thought even form... urgh.

" Alright, I will be rushing there now," I said to him and he just gave a simple nod.

" Also... tell the others I won't be coming back so fast... I won't stop until the pests are eradicated entirely on this continent." I said to him, not checking his reply then cut off the mana-coms.

*sigh* is the only thing I could do before I quickly finish my breakfast and head towards the Geolicus Kingdom... it is going to be tiring, it is going to be frustrating, and most importantly...

It is going to be bloody bloody...

Doesn't matter, what matters now is... getting enough nutrients and being ready for a huge massacre... one that doesn't only involve humans.

After a 10-minute breakfast time which involved me shoving down an entire portion of stuffed meat into my mouth, it is time to be blamed for arriving too late. Trust me, there will be people that will blame me for arriving too late. This is not a flag, this is a prediction.


Damn... the pests are advancing too fast... just how understaffed the demons are! From what I could see, the pests are attacking from all sides of the city that isn't surrounded by mountains. But they already have 4 out of the 6 gates breached, and the last two aren't going to hold that long either. From what I could see, the pests are using some sort of mortar, but I can feel that it contains mana so it has to be some kind of magic mortar, which makes me question, how are they using it. 

*boom*

A loud sound erupted from the mortar that is attacking one of the two still-standing gates, and with that loud bang, comes an explosion at the gate, which causes it to finally collapse. What the heck is that thing even... its destructive power is too huge! 

With that I can see that the demons on the wall are retreating to the next chokepoint, which seems to be a makeshift barricade on the street, nice plan, but with that sort of machine... I can't see it holding too long... I have to quickly destroy the last one before the gate is also destroyed... damn this is going to be hard...

Coming to the last gate I immediately took out my rifle and load a high explosive magazine. I hope this works because if the mortar is made out of something harder than steel, I am in big trouble. 

Load, aim, and bang. *boom*

Luckily, it is probably still some sort of iron, so it is still easily destroyed. But now, I got all of the attention from the ground, demons, and pests alike. Which is good, at least they are distracted from killing the demons. With that, I stored my rifle and brought out my trusty gunblade, and start going blazing.

One by one, the pests are getting slaughtered. Yet, it is not enough, I am just one dragon, and I can't use any wide area effect spells or I would risk killing the demons too. Though I am getting the attention of the bulk of the pests, some of them still went ahead and attack the demons, sometimes causing some members of the demon army to die. I know there are already casualties but having it increase despite me being here is annoying.

Slowly, the 25 thousand armies are now half of it was, and I am slowly getting surrounded by the pests... urgh, they're not kidding when they said that swarms could kill even the most elite. This is clearly proof of it, even though the killing never stops, attacks are starting to pass through more and more. Even though the damage it has done is minimal, it isn't looking good.

" Mage unit shoot!" I hear someone shout from far away, it is definitely from the demon side. I guess that is my reinforcement huh, they sure are bold to assume that I can handle whatever they throw at me... 

Luckily their assumption is true. The blasts all landed near me, killing dozens even hundreds of pests in one go, easing my surround, which prompts me to start killing even more. Within half an hour, with the support of the demons, we managed to kill almost all of the humans, the remaining ones have been captured by the demons, something with which I totally disagree with.

" Thank you for your support mighty dragon! Thanks for your support we manage to hold the gates!" the captain of this side of the gate said to me. I said nothing and just sat on the ground, resting for a bit to regain my stamina before heading to the other gates. From what I can see, other than the gates, the demon has set up three inner chokepoints within the capital to stall the humans while they make the residents retreat to the castle wall.

" I shall let you rest here, I have to go support other gates if they have any weapons like this one here, it isn't a long time until-"

" They have already fallen, I came here to support the last standing gate to prevent encirclement. Once you are done, head to the southeast gate. Its gate is the last one to fall. I shall go to the other gates to see if I can support them." I said to him before standing up and flying into the city, leaving him flabbergasted. But he quickly regains his composure and regroups his units. Very fast too, I have to give him that.

Flying up I can see that the war isn't going too well. The gate that I saved is the east gate, the city has a gate in almost every direction except north and northeast, due to it being a mountain. Now with the east being saved and the captain going to the southeast, I quickly head to the west side of the city. Out of all of them, the west gate has breached two of the temporary fortifications, while the north and southwest fortifications are not breached yet. If I finished the west gate, they should quickly head to the southwest, and if lucky, they can regroup with the southeast group. Though I am not going to be optimistic about that. Seeing as the west group only has around 200 soldiers left against the 20 thousand pests.

Luckily for them, the demons aren't engaged in a melee, which means...

" ᚠᚱᛟᛋᛏ ᛒᛚᚨᛋᛏ" I cast as a huge ball of swirling blizzard formed on my hand, and I immediately threw it onto the human army. Within seconds, the blizzard hit the ground and a blizzard formed over the army, instantly dropping the temperature down to negative, the pests were shocked and is trying to run, but it is all too late as one by one, they start freezing from toe to head. And finally, after 20 minutes, none survived, and all became frozen pests that will not bother anyone anymore. 

I landed around the remaining group of soldiers and told them to go to the southwest gate. From what I can see, they are still holding alright, at least if the pests don't use the huge cannon. But since I keep hearing the explosions infrequently, I think it won't be too long, I better rush...

Reaching the northwest gate isn't that hard, the pests have zero anti-air capability which helps me a lot, but... I notice that some humans rather than running around, are collecting... demon corpses? No, they are heading towards the demon corpses and uses some sort of machine...

At that moment, I understood what they are doing. They are using the demon to create mana crystals to power those huge mortars of theirs... they don't care about any decency... even tainting the dead like this... unforgivable...

" Scum like you don't deserve to live..." I muttered as I shoot at every single human that are out hunting for demon bodies, at least those within my vision. While I wanted to torture them more, I do not have time to do so, every single minute that those humans stay alive, is more ammunition for them, and more chances that the demons would die.

Upon reaching the northwest side, I immediately stood on top of the garrison and yelled at every demon soldier, telling them to retreat and that I am not to blame if they failed to do so. With that, I start shooting with my twin SMG, at first trying to aim at the further pests, but as the demons retreated, I start to aim at those closer, seeing the pests trying to arm the mortar, I did something that most people would think its suicide, that is standing in of where the mortar will shoot and continue to blast away the pests.

*boom* I saw a huge ball of light heading straight toward me, but I didn't care about it at all, shooting at the pests as if there is no huge ball of death heading toward me. Sadly for them, I took the hit directly and received minimal injury. If you call my head bleeding a little minimal. But it did what I wanted it to. The pests saw that it have little to no damage demoralized them and they tried to surrender...

Ha... no captives allowed. Not when they literally committed such crimes.

With a swing, I cast a huge fireball and burned all of the humans alive. Even the demons are shocked at what I did, but do I care? No. Will I look like a genocidal demonic being? Yes, but I don't care. All I did is for their good.

Without saying anything, I flew up and head towards the south side while also eliminating any pests that is on collection duties. Frankly said, I specifically didn't burn all of them, I left some just dead on the head to collect the device to analyze it. After all, knowing how the enemy operates would be pretty beneficial to us, no matter how twisted the method might be.

Seeing the condition of the southwest and southeast gate is making me pale. Corpses are on the walls. It seems that they aimed the mortar not at the walls but at the demons now. But I can see that its efficiency isn't that good as there are still a lot of demons on the makeshift wall. Without wasting any time, we start gun blazing again... I hope that I can get their supplies cause at this rate I would run out of bullets within a month... let's hope they brought some niter or gunpowder or saltpeter.

The remaining humans aren't a threat to me, so they are quickly disposed of, with that, all of the pests inside the city are cleared, even though there are many dead, it is the best outcome because of the overwhelming numerical disadvantages... it's just that... they won't be able to recover more than half of the bodies due to it being used by the pests to get mana crystals... I have gathered all of the dead so that they won't be left to rot on the streets... and at least they can get a proper burial.

" Hello there again lass, thank you so much for helping the defense! Without you, I really fear that the city would have been long gone..." it is the captain from the east gate that I saved first.

"It's just... it felt like I arrived too late... so many dead..." I said, while mostly berating myself for taking such a long time to figure out how to get here without getting attention... I am going to get attention nevertheless so I don't even know why I hesitated before.

" Nah, it's not your fault, you already did your best, for real, if it weren't for you, the entire city would probably be gone for now! Those metal cannons the humans have sure are a very powerful tool... if we could use it against them it would be a good idea!" the captain said which made my blood cold...

" No, don't... want to use it... just ignore the thing... I am sure if you ask the Argerios Kingdom they can make something for you... just don't use those cannons." I said to him, while he looks confused, he still nodded and dropped the subject. 

Right now after the main fight, I am just healing everyone. Those who are still healthy are in charge of patrolling the gates, making sure that there won't be any more pests that we missed, while the injured ones are gathered in one spot for me to heal them up. From what I heard out of the five thousand soldiers, around half of them survived. Which normally is good news, except for the fact that they cant find the bodies of more than half of the diseased which made me frown. Because I knew where they are...

Sometimes I wish I could bel like the purple guy in that movie and snap my fingers to solve the problem...

*boom*

Astrea: BOOOOO CLIFFHANGER!
Ars: Stop yelling and help me solve this mess... there's too many missing souls now!
Astrea: Just get more souls then 4head.
Ars: AND I NEED YOUR PERMISSION TO DO THAT

I don't think this will be a cliffhanger cause the next chapter will be coming out soon...

13