Chapter 7
2.4k 8 85
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 7: “FIRST SKILL”

 

Ai’s fingers gently brushed over the word ‘abomination’. 

It was such a strong word. A strong word to describe someone that found a new path in their life, just that path that didn’t adhere to the elves’ beliefs. Though the concept was outrageous, Ai realized that maybe it wasn’t so rare after all. He thought back to the real world where this sort of thing happened all the time, people being shunned for picking an otherwise innocent path that didn’t align with other’s beliefs.

Closing the dilapidated book gently, Ai carefully cleaned some of the dust off the cover and laid on top of his book stack before carrying them to put them back where he found them. He realized that he could just leave them where they were on the couch, but felt slightly guilty to whoever had to clean them even if that was what they were programmed to do.

The two books about elf history and festival were easy enough to return, they were grand books that were featured on front shelves. As for the last book, Ai had to walk slightly deeper into the library. He distinctly remembered that the placement was obscure and almost hidden. 

The sky was dark already so as Ai went deeper into the library, his surroundings got darker and darker until it almost felt like he was walking through an abyss. If it wasn’t for the gentle illumination of the little lights, he would for sure get lost in the forest of shelves.

Finally he reached the back of the library where it was more dusty and the lights were dimmer. The books there weren’t the best looking. They were still better than the Keygivers book, but most of them had at least a ripped cover, dog eared page or yellow stains. 

As Ai was looking around for the spot where he found the book, he realized that he wasn’t alone. There was an elf reading one of the books while standing. Their figure was almost hidden in the darkness. Now that Ai got closer, he could see that they were a tiny elf, they were half a head shorter than Ai and he was pretty short already. They had pink curly hair and blue eyes that seemed to glow in the darkness.

Sensing someone approaching, the elf closed the book in their hands and put the book back to one of the shelves. 

Ai wondered if they were an elf child that got separated from their parents or guardian, but they didn’t exactly look lost or crying. In fact, they looked mostly calm and gave off an air of dignity and grace as they looked at Ai. 

They gave a slight bow, and in a panic, Ai bowed back, the book in his hands almost falling. 

The elf looked at the book and then back at Ai’s face. 

“I was just bringing this book back.” Ai hurriedly explained, feeling as if the elf was questioning him why he was there. 

The elf nodded silently and gently took the book from Ai’s hands. Stunned, Ai could only stand stoically as he watched the little elf blow stroke the cover of the book gently before putting it back to the shelf. 

They stood there in silence for a few more seconds before Ai realized that it was maybe time to leave.

“It was an interesting read.” He said awkwardly before turning away to leave the scene and go back to the inn. 

Before he could, the little elf suddenly spoke.

“No one ever reads books from this section of the library.” they said, their fingers stroking the spine for one the books in front of them. “The elves would never read something so...ugly.”

“And the others?” Ai found himself asking, he didn’t exactly know what the NPCs of the [World Symphony] called players. 

“You speak of the envoys?” The elf said, their brows furrowing. “You are the only one who seemed to care about these rundown books. Most don’t even visit the library you see.”

Ai didn’t mention the fact that he wouldn’t have visited the library either if he didn’t have time to kill. 

“I was looking up information.” Ai simply said.

The little elf finally turned away from the shelf and looked at Ai. This time there was a little smile on their face.

“Whatever your reason might be,” they said, walking closer. “I am grateful that these books finally have some use. You have my gratitude for reading them, envoy.”

The little elf bowed once again before leaving Ai alone, disappearing off into the darkness of the dim library.

You completed a minor quest, “Tomb of the Library”!

Completion rank [A]!

Library Keeper Eir has blessed you with a special skill!

So that elf was the librarian...Ai took note that the librarian’s name was highlighted in green, meaning that they liked him. 

You can now borrow books from the library!

Ai thought this was sort of a shame. He earned the rights to borrow a book from the library and even got a skill that not every player had, but he was about to switch class and race soon. He wondered if the NPCs would remember players that had changed classes and race. It felt kind of bad knowing that a person that Eir liked would now disappear forever.

No, he had to be selfish. At the end of the day, this was just a game. He was allowed to change classes and race. 

Sighing, Ai opened the skills tab to see what skill Eir had given him for reading their books. 

[Restore] - non combat skill

His first skill and it was even something he could use to fight or defend himself.  Ai laughed deprecatingly and read the rest of the skills

Cast on an [object] to restore [object] to the best form the [object] has ever taken. Cannot be used on quest objects.

Book of Language bonus: Removes quest object restriction.

Cooldown: 24 Hours

Ai thought that was pretty neat actually. Besides the ridiculously long cooldown, being able to return an object to their best form seemed like it had some use later down the line. He wondered if he could do this to equipment, then he would never have to spend money on repairing stuff in blacksmiths. 

With a satisfied smile, Ai closed the [Thought System] and walked back to the inn, almost a skip in his steps. He completely forgot that he wouldn’t be able to use this skill if he changed classes and race.

 

***

 

The inn was definitely more lively at night. Ai didn’t see it at first, but there was a dining area located at the back of the inn. There was a door close to the front desk that led to the area. Ai could hear loud voices laughing and talking from behind the door. 

Avra as usual was standing with no expression behind the desk. The loud noise didn’t seem to bother them all that much. 

As Ai stepped inside, Avra’s eyes immediately went to stare at him without saying a single word. Feeling awkward, Ai gave Avra a little wave just as he did that morning and walked passed her to head back to his room. He wanted to at least experience sleeping in that Golden Suite before he changed his avatar.

Before he reached the second floor, a loud bang suddenly echoed through the halls of the inn. The door slammed so hard that there were slight vibrations that slithered through the sturdy walls of the inn.

“Man, the alcohol in elf villages are always so good!” One voice whistled, their words slightly slurred.

“At least that’s one good thing this shitty place had.” Another voice exclaimed, the words also slurred. “All the girls are so high and mighty, just because they’re elves.”

Ai, turning back from the second floor of the inn, observed the two drunkards lounging around in front of the desk. At first Ai assumed they were NPCs and this was a triggered quest or something, but they were actually two mid level players who seemed to both be of the warrior class with their giant axe and light armor. They didn’t really stand out much being mid level players, but one of them had dark hair and the other had green eyes.

Slightly disappointed that it wasn’t a quest, Ai turned back to continue his plans of sleeping through the night.

Suddenly, one of the players, the dark haired one, stumbled their way closer to the front desk, leaning towards Avra as the player shot them a grin they thought was seductive. As usual Avra showed no change in expressions.

Worried, Ai stopped walking and observed the players again.

He didn’t know why he felt uncomfortable by the drunken players bothering Avra. He never even had a full conversation with the other elf but he felt protective of the NPC with no dialogue.

Taking no notice of Ai’s glare, the other players started talking.

“Do you think they’ll react if we touch them?”

The player with the green eyes scoffed and waved his hand dismissively.

“You’re disgusting.” He said. “This one doesn’t even say anything even when you push her and you expect her to react to anything else?”

It was then that Ai felt angry. Hearing what they were saying, it was clear that it wasn’t the first time that they bothered Avra and even touched them. The elf didn’t give off any reaction, but Ai could see that their shoulders were tenser than usual.

Before he knew it, Ai found himself rushing forward towards the drunken players. They were much taller than Ai and way muscular with a class that was built for pure damage, but it didn’t stop Ai from sliding between them and Avra’s table.

“Can I ask you two to leave?” Ai said with a stiff smile, tone sweet with a layer of anger below that. “You’re disturbing my peace.”

85