Chapter 10
2.3k 14 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 10: “AVRA”

 

For a split second, Ai wondered if he was looking at a different NPC. Someone who only looked like Avra but wasn’t them or maybe they had a twin. He quickly shook that notion out of his head. They were still the same elf he had seen when he entered and left the inn. The same brown dress and beautiful face. Only this time, there was a genuine smile on their face that enhanced their beauty.

“Good morning, Avra.” Ai greeted politely, slightly bowing out of just habit. “Is there something I can do for you?”

Avra bowed in return and then they spoke. “I wish to give you a present, dear envoy.”

Ai watched as Avra returned to their front desk and rummaged around in the cabinets. Paper after paper spilled, creating a small pile behind them. Though Ai was curious why they had so many, he didn’t dare touch them. He didn’t know what impolite might do.

As Avra continued to search, Ai decided that it might be best to start a conversation. He was curious about a few things.

“Avra…” Ai started, unsure if the topic was appropriate to even bring up. “You are the Keygiver?”

Avra glanced up from the cabinet for a moment and gave him another smile. “Yes. I am. You are curious what I gave up?”

Ai froze and bit the inside of his lower lip. Was he really that easy to read? Avra laughed gently and returned to rummaging around. 

“To answer your question envoy,” Avra started. They sounded cheerful but Ai couldn’t help but notice that there was a slight tremor in their voice. “I gave my up abilities to sing.”

Avra stood from behind the cabinet, holding a scroll in their arms. Ai only looked at them curiously. Seeing his expression, Avra laughed again. Then there was a melancholic look on their face. It wasn’t really a pained expression, it was something that felt bittersweet, as if they were simply reminiscing on it.

“I...gave up on my ability to sing so I can be a Keygiver that serves under Lord Aethera. I can still speak just fine, but when I try to sing or even just hum…”

Avra then closed their eyes and began to sing, only there was no sound that came from their lips. Ai could see their throat moving slightly and could hear the breathes, but no sound could be heard. Avra stopped and then looked at the scroll in their hands, their thumb stroking it gently.

“At first I was bitter.” They admitted. “My singing was the most beautiful thing I had, yet I had to give it up. I hated that I couldn’t sing beautiful songs anymore, so I stopped talking. I didn’t want to.”

“Then why did you speak to me?” 

Surely Ai couldn’t be the first person who tried to become a mediator. [World Symphony] had many players so even though the mediator class was hated, there must be some people who tried to play them and picked the elf race. 

Avra seemed to ponder the question. “There have been quite a few that came here to be the envoy, but they were not the true envoy. There was something lacking in them, I often refused them of their powers, though they didn’t know I held the key.”

Their gaze then swept back to look at Ai, this time there was a gentle look that warmed Ai’s heart.

“I do not know for sure either.” Avra laughed. “There is just something about you that reminded me of Lord Aethera. You are so very kind to us who are inconsequential. You are the first inn guest and envoy to say goodbye and good morning to me.” 

Avra held out the scroll in their hands. “I sense that you have doubts, but I believe in you. Even if you decide that you want to choose a different path, I still consider you a friend.”

Ai took the scroll hesitantly and felt the turmoil in him come back to life. For the umpteenth time, he reminded himself that Avra was not a real person. They were made from coding and digital pixels. If at first he only felt a slight empathy towards them, now when faced with their human-like expressions, pain and words, Ai found it harder and harder to not think of the NPCs as real people. If he went ahead with his plan of changing his class and race, Avra would be left here alone. Stuck behind the front desk of the inn, never having another friend to talk to, smile at or share their pain.

Ai looked away from Avra’s gaze and looked at the scroll in his hand. It was a simple papyrus scroll tied with a single brown ribbon. The paper felt rough in his hands and there were a couple of yellow stains on it. Whatever the scroll was, it wasn’t new.

“Take out your Book, envoy.” Avra said, gesturing towards the brown book hanging on the side of Ai’s waist. 

Ai laid the scroll and the book down on the table. Stupidly he expected something to happen, but the book and scroll simply sat there, doing nothing and staring at him. Avra unfurled the scroll and then opened the first page of the Book of Languages.

“This is a Language Scroll.” Avra explained, their fingers tracing over the text written on the scroll. “There are plenty of scrolls to be found in the world. They are all missing parts of your book, envoy.”

Ai examined the two objects in front of him more closely. He remembered the Book of Languages was incredibly worn out with its faded etchings, cover and writing. The scroll on the other hand, though a bit stained, had bold thick cursive writing written on it. 

Slowly Avra hovered both of their hands slightly above the book and the scroll. Ai watched them close their eyes and started chanting incantations of what seemed to be a spell. Ai could hear each of the words that came from their lips but understood none of it. In front of them, the book and the scroll glowed with a slight blue hue and as soon as it happened, the writings on the scroll began to fade until it was unreadable. On the other hand, the first page of the Book of Languages started to become more and more vivid until Ai could see eligible writing on it written in blank ink.

Avra finished their spell and then examined the book. Seemingly satisfied with what they saw, they put the scroll away and pulled the book to the center of the table so they would be able to look at it better.

“With this the first chapter of your book has been restored.” Avra said, a tinge of pride in their tone. “Though as of now, you probably wouldn’t be able to read it.”

Ai stared at the first page and indeed, found himself being unable to read the cursive writing on it. Disappointed he looked at Avra with a helpless look on his face.

“Do I need to learn the language first?”

Avra shook their head and then pointed at the text. “The scroll I had just gifted was only the first part of the first chapter. The second part is only gifted to envoys who pass the test.”

Could it be that this test was the elf beginner quest? The scrolls seemed like something vital for the Book of Languages, so could it be that to get the scroll he would need to complete the beginner quest with a high rank? At the thought, Ai almost collapsed on the spot. He felt giddy just a few hours ago, but now he felt that anxiety over the beginner quest creeping back.

“The second part of the scroll would grant you the ability to read this. When you achieve it, come back to me and I shall grant you the ability through the scroll.”

Ai took note of Avra’s choice of words. 

When you achieve it.

Meaning that Avra expected him to get the scroll and come back to them. Ai didn’t answer or deny their beliefs. He simply smiled at them and then reached out to pack the book back to the sling on his waist.

“Do you know what’s in the book, Avra?”

Avra tilted their head then hummed as they pondered it.

“Yes and no.” They finally said. “I have a vague understanding of what the first chapter entails, but I do not know the rest of the chapters. The scrolls are kept in different places and different race kingdoms you see, you would need to travel many places to get them all.”

How typical of an MMORPG, Ai mused. To use a single ‘important’ quest to get the player to explore all of the available areas and travel the world. Well, Ai had no objections. Rather, he was excited to explore the world of [World Symphony]. If the rest of the place was as beautiful as Pymule, then he wanted to see them all.

Finally read with his belongings, Ai took a single deep breath then gave Avra a smile. “Thank you for your help, Avra.”

Avra’s eyes widened as if they weren’t expecting words of gratitude. Then they broke into a soft laughter and bowed slightly. 

“You are indeed kind.” They said, smiling. “I believe Athiel shall pick you up in two hours time, please do come back when it is time.”

Hmm, he was about to go and try and find Athiel, but if they were coming to the inn to pick him up, then he supposed he could use the time before that to look for supplies and consumables, he had a bit of money that the game gave to new players to buy just some starter things.

He waved Avra goodbye then walked out the door, the thought of changing race and class drifting further and further away from his mind.

 

 

88