Chapter 1: Once Upon A Time
42 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The baby stared at the thin pupils of the dragon and laughed.

The beast stared down, vile breath tainting the air, saliva falling to the ground and turning to stones when it touched the ground. He growled at the pathetic creature. It really was pitiful, the human brood. Small with fat little fingers, a round body wrapped in a blanket, dark skin and eyes and a few curls of black hair in its head.

And it was all alone in the beach.

The baby raised a chubby arm and made a grabbing motion towards the serpentine monster.

He closed his mouth. Was he really about to eat this creature? It didn't seem like it could provide much nourishment with such a small, young body.

Maybe it would be better to just let it grow a little before devouring it. Yes, that was a good idea. But it won't survive long on its own... and giving it to another family would surely mean losing his meal.

So the cuélebre grabbed the blanket with his teeth, careful not to damage what was inside and took it to his lair.

The human already walked, which for the dragon meant less time to hunt and more time watching over her, lest she walked to the ocean or ran into the woods and met the jaws of another monster. So the cuélebre had brought her with him to hunt. He could feel her pat his scales and hear her babble. How was one supposed to concentrate like that?

"Shut up." He hissed. "And stop that."

The human answered by banging her hands harder and making louder sounds.

Really, how did species that took care of their young do it?

He slithered away, just for some seconds, just to catch that sheep he was smelling. Surely the thing couldn't get herself in danger in such a sort amount of time.

As his prey came into view, the closest thing to a smile the monster could muster appeared in his face.

Then just as he was about to snatch the sheep away a cry irrupted from behind.

The sheep turned around and ran fast enough that the winged snake only managed to get a mouthful of wool.

With an angry hiss the cuélebre returned to the spot where he found the babe crying deeply.

"What do you want now?" 

But to his surprise she immediately stopped her bawling and smiled directly in his face.

Indignant. That he, a powerful dragon, had to stop hunting to attend to the needs of a small human...

And what was she laughing about, dammit?

In fact what had she been crying about? There were no monsters visible that could have scared her. Or had they run at the sight of his visage?

Whatever. Better go get something else to eat.

"Thanks to you again." He said to the baby.

"Play!" Screeched the little girl branding a stick. When that got no reaction, she proceeded to shove the stick into the scaled tail of the dragon. He opened one eye to look at her.

The child did this often lately. She would pester him until he played with her; the game they played consisted of the little girl holding onto his tail and him shaking it side to side to drag her along. He didn't understand the appeal of it but the frequency of her requests to play it were frequent, so it was obviously enjoyable. So it was okay, he guessed.

"Play!" She repeated, tired of waiting for the cuélebre to start.

"Alright."

He stared to the entrance of the cave, expecting. He knew this day would come since the day he decided not to eat Bellamira. That still didn't mean he was happy about it.

Finally, steps echoed, getting closer. But instead of light, cheerful steps, they were heavy and dragged. Something was wrong. 

When Bellamira walked in, he could see the problem.

"Dad..." she said with tears streaming down her cheeks. She was covered in mud. The kindergarten uniform was ruined and her hair was messier and dirtier than usual.

"Now, come here. What happened?" He said lowering his snout, so the girl could hug it.

"T-the other children... I wanted to play with them... but-but they got angry and told me I'm not like them..."

"And they did this to you?" He was already thinking about the houses he was going to crush down and the brats he was going to swallow.

"I didn't make any friends." She said sadly. "Please, dad, what do I have to do?"

Right, going on a massacre wasn't likely to improve Bellamira's social life. For now, he could shove his rage aside and just offer support.

"Is... this an umbrella?"

Bellamira sounded more confused than disappointed, but of course. Anyone would be if after a pink dress and a gold and jeweled band suddenly you found an umbrella as your last birthday gift. 

"Is not any umbrella thought. Try to pull from the handle."

She did, and the crook handle separated from the tube, followed by a shiny blade. Bellamira looked at the sword, her shiny eyes reflecting on the steel before rising them to meet his.

"It's pretty but why?"

"So you can defend yourself, of course."

"But I don't want to hurt anybody!" She said, horrified.

"You don't have to." He answered. "It's just to give whoever bothers you a good scare."

"Oh." She said. Then she smiled. "Thank you dad."

As Bellamira raised the sword in the air, he stared proudly. It was likely that she would be punished or even sent home earlier for threatening other kids with a sword. But as long as they left her alone he didn't have a problem with that.

"Come on, Dad!" Bellamira skipped and ran through the forest, and he followed, body sliding over dry leaves and roots. She had come into the cave, covered in sweat, holding her umbrella, with a big smile on her face and insisted he follow her. What could it be, he had no idea. This girl got excited about the tiniest thing and simple things made her smile. Not that that was a complaint. It was easy to make her happy, which didn't mean he would ever get tired of that smile.

"It was around here." She said, sniffing the air. He considered doing the same but decided that if he realized what it was before Bellamira could show him it would upset her.

"Here! Look!" 

And there, covered in flies but looking as delicious as only they could, a dead cow lied in the ground.

"Did you hunt it yourself?" He said, honestly impressed. For all her life, Bellamira had been skinny and petite but athletic as a result of climbing rocks and running in the wildness. But she had never boasted much strength.

She nodded strongly. "It took me all morning, but now you have food for today." And that said she walked to the cow and grabbing it by the head, tried to pull. It didn't move.

"Let me." He said. Before sinking his teeth into the meat he turned to his daughter "Have you clean your blade?"

Bellamira frowned and pulled the sword from its hiding place. The blade was covered in almost dried blood.

"Always remember to clean it. Blood could damage the steel."

"Okay!"

Bellamira took a deep breath. He could sense her stress as she looked to her reflection in the lake.

"Why can't I stay with you?" She said.

"Again? This is your chance to make friends and learn new things!"

"You said the same when I went to primary..."

At this, the dragon closed his mouth. He thought of something he could say that didn't sound like he was grasping at straws. Let's think. Bellamira needed to go to school for various reasons. And she wanted to be with children her own age, no doubts about that, she just hadn't met the right ones yet.

"This time will be different, I swear. Teenagers aren't like little kids. They mature."

Finally, she met his gaze. "Really?"

"Really."

And she gave an insecure smile. "Okay."

3