Volume 2 Chapter 23
3.2k 16 80
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This was Ezra’s second time at Marineford.

Marineford is the headquarters of all Marines, it is located on the Grand Line. It is a crescent moon-shaped island composed completely of bricks and steel with cannons mounted on the edges. At the back of the island, was a large multi-story building, standing large, tall and proud, with the base bearing the words “Marines” and the marine symbol. Four smaller buildings were also built on top of smaller mountains which geographically sat around the four corners of the main building. Each of these buildings carried a flag with the marine symbol blowing in the wind. The front part and majority of the island were occupied by Marineford Town. This town was very large compared to other towns as it was almost 80% of the island. It was mostly home to the families of the Marines stationed at Marineford.

As Ezra identified himself upon arriving at Marineford he noticed people's reactions to him were somewhat strange. He was being treated like a celebrity, in contrast to his previous visit. Some of the younger marines found the courage to speak to Ezra. “Sir, It is an honour to meet you, Everyone is so proud to be part of the marines because of you, Sir. Your campaign in West Blue is what everyone talks about here in Marineford.” the young cadet spoke out with uttermost respect.

“I also am proud to be part of the marines, and I am proud of the duty we have to protect the civilians,” Ezra replied to the young marine.

This was just one of the impromptu conversations Ezra had with random strangers on his way to HQ.

“Captain Rose D. Ezra reporting for Elite Training” Ezra announced as he walked into the hall.

Vice Admiral Garp: “WabaWabaWaba.”

Fleet Admiral Sengoku: “Garp, you really need to change that laugh of yours.”

Vice-Admiral Garp: “What can I say, it's just too funny.”

Fleet Admiral Sengoku: “Garp, how is your grandson, it's been a while since you went home.”

Vice-Admiral Garp: “..., Ezra is here!”

Fleet Admiral Sengoku: “Ezra your achievements in West Blue are very commendable.”

Ezra: Salute! “Thank you, Fleet Admiral Sengoku, Vice-Admiral Garp.”

Vice-Admiral Garp: “I hear that you are taking the spotlight, you are even more famous than the Marine Hero Wabawaba The young are already leaving us old fossils in the dust, what do you say Sengoku?”

Fleet Admiral Sengoku: “That is Fleet Admiral Sengoku to you, and who are you calling an old fossil?”

Vice-Admiral Garp: “Pretend I said nothing, Ezra you are the last one here. Go to the training field the assembly is about to start.”

Ezra was confused about the relationship between the two high ranked officers he had just met, but one thing was sure, they knew who he was.

 

The atmosphere at the training ground was intense, there were about 20 officers present, facing someone in front of them. Ezra looked at the second in line, it was a familiar person in black and white spots, he quickly found a spot in the line to join the assembly.

“The last person is here, we can now start the long and boring lecture” a very muscular man in a pink shirt, polka-dotted tie under his purple suit. His pink hair was very visible all the way from the entrance of the training hall.

“I am known by many names, the ones that people seem to remember are Black Arms, Zephyr or Z. For this elite training you shall call me Instructor Z,” he said in a loud voice. It was not hard for him to speak normally, there were only 20 captains but he still spoke as if he was talking to a whole battalion.

“Each of you has shown that you have what it takes to become Marine Elites. This is either by your level of training, your capabilities and in some cases, your merits out on the field” instructor looked in Ezra’s direction as he said the last part of his sentence.

“Since each of you has different starting positions, I will take some time to explain some of the parts of the training. At the end of my explanation, you will be required to make some choices to tailor your training. We only have 2 years, nothing can be wasted.”

“In these 2 years you will learn about Rokushiki, a set of Martial Arts developed by the Marines over the past 700 years or even longer. These techniques are the foundation of our fighting power and it is also something that gives us the edge in the new world against pirates.

The name “Rokushiki” means Six Techniques.

Before Rokushi can be learnt the body must have surpassed its basic limit. So for those whose physical training is not considered enough. Guess what you have on your to-do list.

After surpassing the basic limit, the first three moves classified as Intermediate Techniques can be learnt.

  • The first move is a defensive skill that accelerates the blood and muscle movement, making the body as hard as steel. This technique is known as Tekkai (Iron Body). 
  • The second move is called Soru, This technique allows the user to move at a very high speed by performing steps imbued with explosive force.
  • The third move is called Kami-e. This technique makes the user's body extraordinarily flexible to avoid any attacks. The user can float or bend their body like a piece of paper. The ability to read the airflow changes caused by some actions is harnessed by this technique

The next set of moves is classified as Advanced Techniques as they were developed to build on the understanding of the Intermediate Techniques.

They are:

  • Geppo: this technique allows the user to compress air pressure under their feet, this allows the user to continuously remain in the air as long as their stamina allows. This technique furthers the application of Soru.
  • Shigan: is a close-quarter combat technique in which the user condenses the power of their body in their fingers to emit a strike at a very high speed. This technique furthers the application of Tekkai.
  • Rankyaku (Tempest Kick) is a powerful projectile technique in which the user starts by kicking at a very high speed sending out sharp compressed air blades. With this technique, the ability to perceive changes in the airflow is further developed in releasing ultra-high-speed kicks, basically an advanced version of Kami-e.

Two secret skills can be learnt also:

  • Rokuogan is a powerful fist technique using the Ki produced from training the body past the physical limit as a power to deliver a devastating shock wave attack.
  • Life Return (Seimei Kikan) is a technique that grants the user complete control of their body parts and bodily functions. Due to this perfect control of power in the body, the user will no longer waste any effort during a task. This technique is only obtainable by reaching a high level in all 6 techniques.

Each person can select as many as they would like to learn. There are only 2 years allocated to the training, try not to bite off more than you can chew.” Instructor Z gave the captains enough time for the information to sink in. After a few minutes, he continued with his lecture about each skill and its uses.

“Before we start the next part of the training, we need to know the level of each person's physical strength. I bet you are all thinking; how is it possible to find that out.” Each officer twitched a little, that was the question that each of them had on their minds.

Instructor Z walked to a tube-like chamber, “A regular man off the streets without any training should have a physical strength of about 50 Doriki. Having been trained he should have about 100 Doriki. on the other hand, a trained marine should have a base limit of 200 - 300 Doriki, but this is nowhere near the basic physical limit which is set to a Doriki value of 500. In order for a normal trained marine to increase his physical limit training like the Limit Break program will have to be undertaken, but the most efficient way will be to delve into the world of Rokushiki, because the higher the Doriki values the stronger the technique. 

There are only 3 of these chambers created, this one, its brother in Mary Geosie and its sister the very first prototype designed by Dr Vegapunk. This device measures the amount of Doriki in your body. If you haven't figured it out yet, Doriki is a unit of measurement created to determine the physical power level of a person.

Today will be the first time you use it, You will only be allowed to use this device at the end of each year of training to measure your progress. The training will also involve the development of Haki, which I am sure you elites are already aware of.”

“You there, you go in first. Enter your name here, then stand inside the chamber” Instructor pointed to a Screen on the left of the chamber.

Rose_D._Ezra

 

After entering his name, the double doors of the chamber opened. Ezra stepped, the pod-like space was very dark and only had enough room for one person. A red light started scanning from his feet making its way up to his head. As soon as the scanning was completed, the double doors opened again, allowing Ezra to exit the chamber. Ezra looked at the screen to see a "900" and a green thick right next to his name.

“Next” the instructor yelled

One by One all the elites made their way in and out of the Doriki scanner, the more people were tested the lower Ezra's position on the ranking board was. Even his friend Dalmatian who was also invited to join the training had a value of almost "1200". 

"Don't worry too much about these numbers, the next thing I am about to say is very important. These numbers are your starting point, what matters is the numbers at the end. Don't relax, push yourself daily, hone these skills, this is the only way to survive in the new world.

Each of you has been given a form, select the techniques you are interested in, then pass it to me." Instructor Z said at the end of the lecture.

This chapter ended up being an information dump chapter. Researching all this info did take a while.

Thanks all for today

80