Chapter 10: A Rowdy Inn
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was no inkling of sound outside. I’m pretty positive of this notion.

However, as we go inside, it was like I was in a different sphere.

The inn had the typical woody vibe to it.

What I expected was it to be more of a lavish restaurant. Cause you know? The fame and the name of the guild.

But it was normal. An average, middle-class, and anyone can afford to go to.

By the way, when I said a different sphere, that wasn’t it.

What I meant by that is most of the customers are stout men that looked like they’d hit the gym every day.

Laughing brutally as they drink, loud babbling, and some are even roughhousing.

Let me remind it again, there was no sound outside. Not one bit.

“WELCOME! Oh, if it isn’t Miss Mira and the gang. Good evening!”

All of them turned in our direction once the man who had a bandana on his head shouted that.

He looked like the owner as he was stationed behind the counter.

“Good evening.”

That reply of Mira made the scary-looking stout men changed into glee.

A proof that the beautiful maiden in front of me was an angel.

The owner shifted his sight at me.

“We got a new pup, aye? Is he a great guy?”

“Mm-hmm.”

Mira nodded. Those stout men, when they looked at me, their faces reverted.

What happened to the smiles they had? I could never know as I was sidestepping my way out of their sights.

“Don’t worry. A friend of Miss Mira is also our friend.”

Whoa! Aren’t they such a bunch of nice people?

“BUT IF YOU HURT OUR MISS MIRA!”

Ah, nope. No, I’m wrong, I was definitely wrong.

The owner’s tone changed dramatically to a threatening one.

With that, the stout men flexed their muscles and I heard some bone cracks coming from them too.

However, I succeeded in my mission, I’ve fully concealed myself behind Mira.

They can’t murder me if I’m being shielded by her.

“Everyone, please stop that!”

Mira angrily—adorably reprimanded them as she raised her hand.

In a matter of seconds, they were charmed and all.

“““UNDERSTOOD!”””

They all spoke in unison.

Taking a peek at Mira. Yes. I truly understood you guys too.

I was saved! I want to hug Mira for saving me but that would only give the opposite effect.

At the next moment, someone clasped on my shoulders just to see that it was Ranju.

Green and feebly.

“They’re nice people, Reiji. That also happened to me but as you can see, I’m still here kicking well.”

… He’s mentally scarred.

We’ve taken our seats near the entrance and far from those stout men.

“Sorry about my husband and those idiots. They just love Mira so much.”

A brown-haired lady walked into us. She handed us the menu as she said that.

A waitress uniform. An average length of hair. She had an air of optimism around her.

I could see that they were a great couple. Although even with the masculinity of his husband, she’s the superior one between them is what I think.

“I’m fine. It’s also a delight to see that they care for Mira so much.”

“What can I say? Mira’s the star of this inn.”

“Wow! But I totally understand what you’re saying.”

Agreeing to her, I firmly bobbed my head three times. And that’s where Mira chimed in, all the teasing made her face pouty.

“Please stop saying such things, Chi… And Reiji, that’s not true at all. You don’t have to believe her.”

I couldn’t surmise Mira’s expression. It contradicts her actions by a lot. But the waitress laughed about like she’s accustomed to it.

“Okay, okay. Then, can I take your order?”

“Humph. I’ll take the usual, Chi.”

“Me too.”

“Me three.”

They’re regulars alright. All of them had given their own specific orders with just that. As the waitress waited for me, I opened the menu.

There were meats and probably vegetables that I’m not familiar with. But there are some that I know of.

“Um, I’ll have the chicken stew and mushroom soup.”

“Okay.”

I wonder what these three—!

“USUAL FOR THE THREE, CHICKEN STEW AND MUSHROOM SOUP FOR THE NEW ONE, HONEY!”

“OKAY, HONEY!”

The hell?! That was an earsplitting volume. It almost gave me a heart attack.

The waitress smiled at me. She very well knew that was going to be my reaction.

“Are you a fresh member, uh, Reiji?”

She spoke to me as such nothing had occurred. But I suppose it’s her form of greeting to the newcomers.

“… Yeah. I passed the recruitment just a while ago.”

“Wait, really? Why didn’t you tell us?”

“Huh? You should’ve told us first.”

I had to slant backward. The two, Aeri and Ranju, saying those at the same time, jumped out of their chairs.

“Sorry. It happened when Mira and I just got back from the adventurer organization. That’s why I haven’t had the chance to tell it.”

Just moments ago, they were casually conversing but apparently, half of their ears were attentive towards ours.

“If that’s the case… EVERYONE FREE DRINKS ON THE HOUSE! WE’VE GOT A NEW REGULAR HERE!”

Yeah. If I’ll be a regular here, I need to get used to her.

“TAHAHAHA! CONGRATS, BOY!”

“WOO HOO, NICE ONE, KIDDO!”

“GOOD JOB, LAD!”

The announcement made those stout men rowdy and wild.

I was thinking of the neighborhood but I remembered that no sounds were leaking outside.

Must be magic or something.

The waitress straightened herself,

“I’ll have to leave you guys. I need to handle the others as well.”

And scooted to the incoming customers.

“Congratulations, Reiji.”

Mira commended with a bright smile.

“Yeah, that’s right. Your announcement was unexpected but we’ll gladly accept it. You’re part of the guild now so let’s all get along.”

“As another man of the guild, I welcome you, Reiji.”

Aeri followed and Ranju lastly spoke with a charismatic tone but after that, the two went back to their old routine.

“Ah, huh? Where’s the man? All I could see is a pungent brat.”

“W-what did you say, pointy-ears?! And for your information, I don’t!”

“Who you calling pointy-ears, numbskull?! And don’t come near me! You stink!”

I suppose I needed to get used to this kind of show as well.

Time moved a lot faster than it seemed. Perhaps that’s the appeal of having dinner in a lively inn. You’ll get beguiled throughout.

After a short while of listening to the surroundings.

“Here’s your order, one potato and cheese gratin, one large roast pork, one tomato and cabbage salad with extra dressing, and one chicken stew with mushroom soup. Order’s complete, enjoy.”

“Thank you, Chi.”

“You’re welcome. If you need anything just call me.”

Mira took the potato and cheese gratin.

Ranju took the large roast pork.

Aeri took the tomato and cabbage salad.

And I took the chicken stew with mushroom soup.

“!”

The meal is super delicious. The meat is tender and the soup is creamy beyond vocabulary. The price value and the quality value were heavily mismatched.

The waitress gave a “how was it?” gaze from afar while I was eating. She received a thumbs up.

If it weren’t for the stout men, this inn would’ve been a hit.

However, I think this is what they intended it for. Everyone is having fun in their own ways. I already got the gist of why these three would always go here. It seemed a cozy inn.

As I thought of that, bulky shadows loomed behind me. They are blocking the pathway of the light.

I made the laudation too early.

“Hey, new guy. What’s your name?”

I desperately gulped the last spoonful of my meal and prepared a smile before turning to them to reply.

“R-Reiji…”

I’ve wanted to ask them ‘why’ as politely as I could but instead, my mouth vacuumed in.

They were so close to my face. Not only that, they had a deep, deep smile on theirs.

“Reiji, that’s a wonderful name.”

“Aright. Come with us.”

“Reiji, I’ll pray for—”

“You’re coming too, Ranchu.”

“Huh, why?”

Ranju who’s being dragged away from his seat murmured these words with the lowest voice he could do.

“A-and my name’s Ranju, Kind Sir.”

Surrounded by the stout men. Closing in by the second. Our bodies cowered in fear.

After a minute had passed by…,

“YOO HOO, HERE WE GO! WE DRINK FINELY TONIGHT! HEY, HEY, EVERY DAY! IT’S A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT! YAHAHA HAHA YAHAHA HAHA!”

Arms linked. Tone-deaf voices. Swinging to and fro.

And in the middle of those are the two of us, Ranju and me.

The owner handed us some non-alcoholic wine that we would drink every so often.

I think I haven’t tasted a glass of wine before but this is just like flavored grape juice.

Mira was clapping to the broken beat and Aeri was laughing so hard that tears fell on her eyes.

Amidst the party, the stout men invited me to their arm-wrestling competitions.

And what did I do with all the momentum going on?

I made a confident smile and shook my head as hard as I can.

Of course, only insane individuals would like to fight against an arm the size of their heads.

On the other hand, there was an insane individual fiercely competing named Ranju.

It lasted for a while but all things do come to an end.

And when we exited the inn, the owner and the stout men were literally wailing like babies.

“GOODBYE, MISS MIRA, MISS AERI, REIJI, AND RANCHU!”

“Oy! I told you guys, it’s RANJU! With a JU!”

“Hehe, that was fun.”

Mira pressed her cheeks as she reminisced the events.

I rubbed my eyes to double-check on her. I wasn’t drunk. However, there are some flowers blooming beside Mira’s face.

The owner said that the wine was alcohol-free.

“This was also my first time seeing them like that. I suppose it’s because it’s Reiji welcoming party.”

Aeri whose hands are laid on her head said that.

I was forced actually. But they aren’t that bad, just scary. But if that was her first time then,

“Eh? What about Ranju? Aren’t they like that when he first visited?”

“Well…, the first time he visited the inn, he got interrogated by them.”

Aeri responded as she pitifully glanced at Ranju. I quickly looked at him as well.

He had a miserable look on his face.

I think we made him remember it by force… I wish you good luck with your flashback.

… … …

Seated in the middle of the spotlight was Ranju. And encircled to him were the stout men.

Aeri and Mira were absent at the scene. Nowhere to flee.

Ranju intently stared at the table. Mira guaranteed to him that they were nice people. He thought to himself and hoped to become the table instead.

As the glares grew more intense, his face began to perspire and turn green.

“Don’t be scared, boy. We’re just here to ask you some questions. We won’t harm you.”

A stout man with a sliced wound across his right eye ensured. Although the tone of his voice was in line with his countenance.

“Y-yes.”

“You’re the new guy, right?”

“Yes.”

“Is Mira having fun, boy?!”

“Yes.”

“Here, you can have this drink.”

“Yes, thank you.”

“Had she gotten hurt, kid?”

“Yes… I mean—”

… … …

The pure terror on his fountain-like crying face.

I could only look at him in silence. Poor guy…

We returned to the guild mansion.

Mira and Aeri’s room is on the second floor. The girl's floor.

Ranju and I are on the third floor. My room was next to the stairs and Ranju too albeit on the other side.

As I got inside my room and switched on the lights, there was another set of clothes above my bed.

Nice! I can change now!

The clothes I had earlier was gone on the table. The maids must have laundered it.

We’ve been at the inn for more than three hours. That was enjoyable.

I’ve taken a bath and dunked myself in the bathtub.

Hahhhh! The water feels great. This is blissfully soothing.

I soaked myself up to the level of my mouth and started pondering about what transpired since the beginning.

I lost my memories and at the same time, I became an adventurer.

Today’s really eventful.

Unexpectedly, I got recruited by one of the most prominent guilds out there. Even now, I haven’t had any idea why they would do that.

I’m starting to think that I'm exceptionally talented. Principally that my special ability has its own remarkability.

Furthermore, I still couldn’t believe that I had that kind of item inside my Karda. Having an S-Class Weapon Invoker and 1000 gold coins.

No normal person would have that unless I’m a son of a noble or something with a high rank.

And there’s more, the lady in my vision, she was at fault on why I had a gauntlet instead of a proper and safe weapon.

Who is she? Is she connected to my past? If she is, I need to find her.

Talking about women, what does Ava want? She assisted me a lot so I want to repay her in some form. I guess I’ll just have to find something, I do have a lot of money on me.

In all of that, I’ve concluded. I was here for a reason, no doubt about it. One thing that made me think that is because I was left alive.

Someone left me alive and didn’t kill me for an unknown reason.

After dipping for a few more minutes, I got out and wore the newer set of clothes.

I folded the not-so-old ones, placing them above the table.

“Sorry, Miss Maids, I only wore it for a few hours.”

Oh yeah. Now that I think about it, I remembered something other than my name.

Widened feet. Knees bent. Both hands resembled a tiger’s claw. Right hand straight down. Left hand across the chest. And both palms are shown outwards.

Behold the ultimate pose—The Thousand Sun.

Yeah… Fuck this pose. This is too cringy, disgusting, and sickening to the stomach.

Why of all the things that I could’ve retained, this one took the spot?

Although not going to lie, it was cool and had a feeling of comfort. The name’s not bad too…

No! I wouldn’t want to do that elsewhere. I wouldn’t want someone to see me like that.

Am I a closet freak of something?

I switched off the lights and plunged onto the bed. Face first.

This bed and pillows are so squishy.

And I fell asleep.

… … …

Nnggghhhh! Hah. Hah. Hah. Where am I? Huh?

I was looking at a dim-lit sky. I couldn’t move my sight. I couldn’t move my limbs.

I felt something heavy on my chest. Have I gone paralyzed?

“-IJI! … REJIJ! … REIJI!”

A woman? Her voice kept calling me. Who is she? Where is she? How did she know my name?

Gaaaaahhh! What the—?!

Shortly, intense pain was inflicted inside my head. It was being pricked by thousands of needles. All at the same time.

It hurts! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts! It hurts-!

I couldn’t think straight. What is happening?! Huh?

As if the situation isn’t bettering, now a shadow obstructed the dim-lit sky.

It’s creepy. Even when my vision was blurry, I can still see it. It had teeth on its face.

There was a premonition. The shadow was closing in and if he reaches me, I’m done for.

Get away from me!

I screamed internally as I couldn’t force my mouth to do it.

What are you?! What’s your problem?!

“REIJI! … REIJI! … REIJI! … REIJI! … REIJI! … REIJI! … REIJI! … REIJI!”

The woman continuously yelled my name.

Who are you? Where are you?

And then, the shadow was above my face, blocking all my view. It had a disgustingly grinning mouth.

I could only stare at it. I felt wretched as it was saying something I couldn’t understand.

“REIJI, WAKE UP!”

… … …

“…!”

A ceiling shone by the sunlight.

Aside from that, I was drenched in a cold sweat. All my limbs were trembling, I was catching my breath, and my heart was palpitating too hard that it might explode any minute.

First thing in the morning, I washed my groggy face.

I know for a fact that I had a dream or rather a nightmare.

Yet, why? Why couldn’t I remember any of it? Not even a speck of it.

Knock! Knock!

2