Chapter 11: Blessed Breakfast
14 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Master Reiji.”

A girl’s voice came from the other side of the door.

It was already eight. I overslept or maybe I was just really exhausted from last night's celebration.

“I’m coming.”

Replying to the girl, I unlocked the door. The one greeting me respectfully is a little girl in a maid uniform.

“Good morning, Master Reiji. Breakfast is served. Please come with me and I’ll guide you to the dining room.”

Her voice wasn’t deceitful. She really was a little girl. The little girl gracefully bowing her head to me was around maybe ten to twelve years old.

But I say that her tone was soft and well-mannered even for her age alone. She must’ve been from a lineage of servers to be able to do that.

A yellow short hair like lemon. Her height is right below my chest.

The pattern of her maid dress was tailored differently from what Ava wore. A fusion of black and white with a ribbon.

In my own opinion, this looked more domesticated, I think.

“U-um…”

“I am Peia Forin. You may call me Peia if you wish, Master Reiji.”

She introduces herself before I could ask for it.

“Then Peia, please call me Reiji. Nice to meet you.”

“Yes. Nice to meet you too, Reiji.”

Is child labor a common thing in this country?

She doesn’t seem unsatisfied so maybe they take good care of the underaged workers here.

In any case, the dream I had won’t come out so I gave up on it. It’ll only give me a headache if I force myself.

Peia bowed and left as I entered the dining room.

In the middle was the Guild Master. Aeri and Mira are on the right. Mayer on the left.

“Good morning.”

They greeted. And I did too while I was going for the seat.

The breakfast was buffet-style. The food is prepared and you take what you want, all of them looked appetizing.

We haven’t started yet. Ranju wasn’t here. Though, I do have a vague idea of what he’s doing.

“Where’s Ranju?”

“In his usual morning training. You’ll see him right about… now.”

Just as Aeri said that Ranju in a tank top appeared at the entrance. He’s bathed in beads of perspiration.

Ranju enthusiastically greeted us and took a seat beside me.

“Shall we start?”

The Guild Master proposed.

It seemed that these are all of the attendants beside the maids.

Even the meals here are great. I took small portions of each and tried it all.

“Mayer, can you pass me one sweet potato?”

Ranju asked in a muffled tone.

Mayer took the basket and handed it in front of him. I had to lean back a bit since I was in between them.

Then and there, at the corner of my eyes, I caught sight of a plate congested with food.

Furthermore, the owner of that plate was stuffing his mouth with all varieties of food.

“Thank you, Mayer.”

“Do you like some too, Reiji?”

I took one as Mayer offered me some.

I then glanced at the plate again and met gazes with Ranju, the owner of the plate.

“Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So, I always need to give my best efforts on it.”

Even though I haven’t said anything.

There wasn’t anything wrong with what he said but at least swallow it first before you talk.

“You really love that book, Mira. You even brought it here.”

On the other side of the table, Aeri was looking at Mira’s lap with a broad smile on her face.

“No, that’s not it. I was actually about to return it to Arue and Arua’s room but Cassio told me that the breakfast was ready. So, I came here instead.”

“Well, the twin’s rooms are at the backside of the mansion.”

Arue and Arua. They must be the Guild Master’s children.

I looked at the Guild Master and she responded by shaking her head. She seemed to understand my intention from that alone.

“What’s the story about?”

I asked. I was intrigued by it and Aeri said it was her favorite book. I assumed that it was the book from yesterday at the adventurer organization.

Mira made a smile full of vibrance and focused her gaze on it.

“It’s a story about a frail young boy who wanted to become a hero. He dreamt of protecting everyone but the people laughed at him thinking of it as a passing joke.

The knight mocked him for saying that. He was an orphan; he didn’t have any family. However, he had a best friend and a childhood friend that supported him with all their heart.

After that, he trained so hard to become strong and gained many friends which he could call his family. He grew up to be what everyone else doubted.

He protected the village, the kingdom, and all the people in it. The ones who mocked him and made ridiculed him then respected him.

Everyone acknowledged him and gave him the title he yearned the most—a hero.”

A face full of emotions came into Mira.

“In the end, he got everything he wanted. The trust of the people, the peace that the world sought, and the love of his life.”

Mira got teary-eyed from just narrating the story. Once she realized it, she became fully flushed and brushed away the welling tears.

“Wah! S-s-sorry, I got so much into it that I became unaware of the surroundings.”

“It was a nice story.”

It did set up the mood and everyone listened to her storytelling. A lot of her emotions were poured on every word she spoke.

I suppose she loved it because of the story itself. I was mistaken in my initial assumption.

“Guys… The food’s getting cold, you know?”

And so, with a single sentence, that one that I just aforementioned had gone into the void.

“Damn! Why’d you had to ruin the great mood? Idiot! Stupid! Monkey brain!”

You’re on your own this time, Ranju. I couldn’t blame Aeri for getting furious.

“W-what I didn’t mean to… I just want to tell—”

“Zip it! You smelly rotten-brain man!”

“Oy! I don’t smell at all.”

And they went on like usual.

It made the breakfast more entertaining or is it like this every single morning?

After breakfast, the Guild Master clapped her hands and made an announcement.

“Everybody. Let us welcome our newest member, Reiji.”

All of them gave me a round of applause and welcomed me with vibrant expressions.

I nodded to each one of them as a way to show my appreciation.

“Mira. As the leader of the party, I’d like you to guide Reiji. Understood?”

“Understood, Guild Master.”

“The same goes for you two as well, Ranju, Aeri.”

“Yes.”

That marked the end of our breakfast.

Everyone had left except Mayer, Mira, and me.

Mira reminded me of the quest they’re about to embark on.

She asked me if I wanted to join and of course, I agreed to it.

“See you later.”

She said and left the dining room.

Mayer and I talked about the morning session.

He wanted to teach me about using my abilities. I wasn’t busy and more than anything, I don’t have anything else to do.

“I’ll wait for you at the lobby, okay?”

Mayer said and I had gone to my room.

I found my adventurer attire above the bed, folded and newly washed.

It had a citrusy aroma. The not-so-old clothes that I placed on the table were also gone.

I had to apologize mentally for not using it optimally.

I’ve taken a look at my Ability Karda after I changed my clothes.

Active Ability:                                                                     Special Ability:

Swift Strike I                                                                       Visual Perception

Armor- Piercing Strike I

Quick Leap I

Passive Ability:

Speed I

There are some new skills that I haven’t seen yesterday.

I did a little experiment. I unequipped and reequipped the gauntlet.

However, there are no alterations in the abilities. It stayed as it is.

I guess that means I’ve learned it permanently.

As it was, I made it to the stairs, Mayer was already by the door and waiting for me.

His gauntlet had a gray and silver combination. It looked heavier than mine as it had more metals infused on it.

Well, mine was deceptively weightless. It’s like I’m not wearing anything if not for the sensation of the fabric.

“Let’s go, Reiji.”

“Yes.”  

… … …

We were headed to the north side of Thehill.

I know Mayer’s famous. He’s part of one of the greatest guilds. He’s the type that would greet everyone on the way which is what is happening now. However, I didn’t expect it was of this magnitude.

The district we stepped in seemed to be a small shopping district.

“Hey, Mayer! Good morning, would you like to take some flowers or would you prefer if we just bring them later?”

“Ah, Mr. and Mrs. Cielo, good morning. I’ll take the second option. As you can see, I have something important to do.”

Pointing me, the couple who were arranging the flowers, smiled.

“Ohoho, young Mayer. Handsome as always. Come here, take these cookies.”

“Thank you, granny Wara. Have a nice day and if you need help in the shop just call me up.”

“Sure… Ohya, is this kid your relative?”

Mayer draped his arm on my shoulders and proudly replied:

“Yes. He’s my new little brother in the guild.”

“Here young man, take some cookies too.”

“T-thank you.”

The old lady gave me a bag too. I’ll just store it in my Karda in case I got hungry.

“““UNCLE MAYER!”””

A group of kids ran towards Mayer. They all looked wild and full of vigor as they hugged his legs.

“Uncle Mayer, uncle Mayer, is Firi home? We want to play with her.”

A little girl with a missing middle tooth asked.

“She is. She’s with mommy right now, waiting for all of you to come.”

Mayer patted their heads as he replied. He’s popular even with the children.

With that, the children ran in the opposite direction.

“Yay! Everyone, let’s go.”

“Be careful, okay?”

“““YES!”””

The security of Thehill sure is firm to have those children on the loose like that.

By the way, we got out of the city gates for more than it should have.

“Sorry, Reiji. That took too long.”

While walking toward the grasslands, Mayer gestured his left hand an apology.

“No, no. It’s not like I have other important matters to do. Mira did invite me but we have plenty of hours to teach me. Being popular has its own demerits, I suppose.”

I did get tedious along the way. The reason is that I was just too exuberant to try my abilities.

But seeing Mayer’s wholesome interaction with them, I’ll just let it go.

“I was born and raised here in Thehill after all. That’s why the people pamper me too much.”

That genuine smiled he had. What a kind person.

“I think it’s more than that. They respect you as an excellent adventurer and great person as well.”

It’s much more logical that Thehill was blessed to have him rather than the other way around.

“Come on now, saying dynamic stuff like that, Reiji.”

Perhaps embarrassed or joyful, Mayer gave me a rough head pat.

My hair’s a mess.

“Hahaha-! Stop that.”

And we arrived at the grasslands.

2