Chapter 20: Mysterious Man
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

He had long blue hair, basing on the length of it and how it wasn't being blown away by the wind, it must be tied at the end.

He had a pale, handsome complexion, and a gentle smile—that just from a single glance alone, one can conclude that he's a kind person.

The same vibe Mayer gives off.

Wait... so Mayer's my depiction of a kind person? Hmm, not going to deny that though.

However..., the fact that he's with Stew, and not only that, he snuck on my side unnoticed. A normal person would just approach me naturally.

"Excuse my impudence for suddenly showing up out of nowhere but this is my only chance of meeting you."

He said that as my eyes were drifting towards him and the bush where Stew was at.

I felt like I've been led into a trap. But there's no hostility to him so I'll pretend to go along for now.

I climbed to my feet with the sword and the doll in my possession.

I backed two steps away from the bush. At that distance, even if Stew tries to pounce, I can dodge it without a hitch.

"U-um, good morning. May I ask who you are?"

"Pardon me, as of now, I cannot disclose my identity but I assure you that I'm not a suspicious individual."

Okay, that's what a suspicious guy would definitely say. Though, he could've sneakily bashed me in the head earlier if he wanted to but he didn't.

Moreover, even though I had a weapon with me, he's still too mellow and left himself defenseless.

"Then how about this, what seems to be your business with me?"

Whatever his answer was, I already obtained my objective.

Therefore before he could reply, I turned around and ran away.

I'll take advantage of his carefree personality.

"Wait, Reiji Tatemiya."

Just as I was about to dash off, my feet stopped on their own. It's not because of magic... Have I heard it right? Did he just call my name?

"H-how...?"

"Since you came here two days ago, I was fervent to have a conversation with you."

"Two days ago..."

That was the day I regained my consciousness at the Finral Forest.

Does that mean he knew that I lost my memories? Or perhaps the reason I was there?

No, don't be too hasty. There might be a connection between him and my memories—and one thing that I realized is that right now I'm outside of Thehill.

There's clearly an intention behind this interaction of ours. I couldn't just speak freely about anything.

"It seems that my statement had made you anxious. I would love to tell you all that I know but it might foster trouble and I don't have much time to spare so I'll relay the message of my ancestors."

His gentle smile palliated as if the gravity of those words shouldn't be taken lightly.

Held on his chest was a book with a darkish brown cover. Apparently, he was holding a book over his left hand.

Now that I'm seeing it, the robe that he's wearing, I haven't seen any of its kind around Thehill.

It had more of an antiquated tribal theme to it—with beads and bangles.

After he blinked, his expression turned serious.

"Our world is on the verge of destruction and we need you to save it."

"... ... Eh?"

"Eh?"

I tilted my head and he copied me.

There's something wrong with this guy's head. How can he say that with a serious demeanor?

... Thinking about it, I've been lured outside of Thehill, he mysteriously appeared near me...,

"Hold it right there, I won't be swindled by you!"

I prepared my stance and glanced at the bush. Stew made no movement.

It's a setup. This guy is a swindler, there no room for doubt even though the script he used was somewhat outlandish.

But how did he know my name? And that specific day?

Then, this thought immediately came to me. Guild Limea's famous therefore my information could've had easily been snitched.

They're after my money!

Is it Ava? Unlikely that it was her who revealed it. I also kept a secret of her—the drooling—so it must be one of her coworkers.

I suppose corruption schemes still existed within the capital even with the Guild Master's sovereignty.

"I'm not here to deceive you. Please have faith in my word, Reiji."

What a great actor! His despondent reaction to my accusation was too believable.

"But how can I trust you if you couldn't even tell me your name? Also, if you're asking for help, our Guild Master is a better option!"

Oh, there's also the possibility that he will lie about his name. There's no point conversing with him anymore, I really should've run away when I had the chance.

Will he strike me down if I did it now? He looked like a harmless mage from his getup. But even so, he's still a mage.

Should I persuade him by giving him the money? No, I don't even have my pouch belt with me and that's pure naivety.

"No, I'm absolutely sure of it, Reiji. Anyway, I only came here to bestow the power that you always had within you."

He pointed a finger towards me.

"Enough with that dumb skit of yours! It's not effective for fooling people!"

I bellowed while I coaxed my iron sword. He's definitely going to use magic.

Am I done for? I'm only an F Rank... Damn, my heart's nervously pumping super hard!

I'll have to rely on Visual Perception for evasion.

As I was about to take a sidestep, again, another odd thing had happened. He, the blue long hair man's entirety, was fading away, becoming transparent by the second.

Seeing my dilated eyes, he laughed feebly—there was solemnity in it. Then, he added.

"I couldn't say the reason but one day, when we meet again which I'm certain of, I'll say all that I know of. And on that day, you'll know why you're here."

"..."

"Reiji, in due time, I'll have someone to escort you. For now, accept what is rightfully yours."

Instantly, a surge of heat had burst out from my chest, continually expanding all over my body.

A comforting and relaxing feeling as if it kept reassuring me that I can overcome anything, everything. 

I'm not even sure if that was the correct analogy. There's more to it.

Following that was a slap of wind that made me close my eyes and the next moment I looked in front, the long blue hair man completely disappeared.

Just like that… What the hell just happened?

… … …

He told me that that was mine—my power, but there was no change, my arms are still aching and I don't think my stats had gone up.

The ability to feel extremely pleasurable... Nope, no, that sounded really weird and indecent. I'll just check my Ability Karda later.

What about my amnesia? If I said that, would it develop a different result?

I guess he wasn't a swindler after all... I should've asked if he knew my parents or where they were.

In the end, I couldn't think of a proper presumption.

While thinking of such nonsense, I returned to the capital gates.

"What happened to the fox, young man?"

The guard who lent me his iron sword asked.

I gave it back and replied.

"It got away. I tried hard but it was just too fast and quirky... Here, Nana."

"Yehey! My Aya doll."

Aya? Oh, it must be because the Guild Master's name is Amaya.

Nana intimately embraced the doll with a dazzling expression.

Good to see that she had livened up.

"Too bad. But don't think about it, young man. There will always be a next time."

"Yeah."

The doll hadn't received any form of dirt nor drool from Stew. Stew was just using it as bait to lure me out.

... How come did it know that I would be in that alleyway?

Sigh, another mystery... That aside, it was about time for us to leave.

"Thank you for lending me the iron sword."

While thanking the guard for his generosity, Nana who had the doll on her, raised her other hand.

"Here are the coins, Mr. Guard."

She said.

"You can keep it, little girl. It's the payment for entertaining us with your story. Go buy yourself a nice meal with it."

The guard patted her head and beamed.

“Really?! Yehey!”

I wasn't aware of the time. It did take me quite a while to return here.

Before we walked away, I looked back at the spot where Stew once stood.

I'm going to meet them again in the future. I suppose the grandest pot will befit our reunion, I'll be coming for you, Stew.

Nana tugged my shirt and made small hops. She wanted to have a piggyback ride again.

And so, I heaved her up to my shoulders where she settled herself.

We then bid our farewells to the two guards and entered the streets of Thehill.

"Where are you planning to go now, Nana?"

"To the candy store. Before I go to Firi's house, I want to buy some candies."

"But didn't Mr. Guard told you to buy food and not candies?"

"Auntie Minna had already prepared lunch by now. I'll use this money to give everyone some snacks."

Hmm, so she likes to share—

"And then everyone will beg for more and obey me."

Hmm, so kids have hierarchies too… Terrifying.

Nana pointed out the location of the candy store.

Like any other shop, it had a signboard attached to the ceiling. A lollipop was inscribed into it.

The candy shop had a glass window, and from there, we can see the interior brimming with sugary sweets.

Nana fidgeted in delight and there we had gone inside of the store.

The bell rang crisply upon opening the door.

A diabetic aroma wafted in the air. From the small rocks to the large lollipops, all are separated by jars and containers.

"Welcome."

The lady who was arranging the shelves—turned to us with a smile.

She's kind of familiar but I have no idea where I saw her before. I'm pretty sure she's not at Mayer's house at that time as I remember it correctly.

The lady adjusted her sight upward.

"Welcome, Nana."

She said in a more compact tone.

Her voice literally transitioned from a tamed cat into a ravenous tiger.

In response, Nana's legs tightened around my cheeks, compressing them, making my lips puffed out.

At that moment, it clicked to me that she's Nana's mother. The resemblance in the profile.

Nana poked my head and at the corner of my vision, a wobbly hand with several copper coins. As if she's saying that I should be taking it up from here.

She's vibrating intensely. Then, as I took it from her, I caught a glimpse of a man coming out of the back door.

I think it was Nana's father... And yeah, he evaporated back from whence he came out.

"U-um, what do you want, Nana? The gummy bears and fruit candies look scrumptious."

"Dear customer, I do recommend sour candies and chocolate balls. All the kids love those treats... Am I right, Nana? How long are you going to stay up there?"

Uh, eh, even I'm getting scared, Ma'am... Huh? Nana became weightless. She stopped all sorts of shivering motion.

"E-er, Ma'am."

I said while placing Nana down on the chair. She's petrified and her soul was slipping away from her. If they tell me that it was magic, I would've believed it.

Anyway, I had to explain the situation her daughter had gone through.

From her mother's side, it seemed that Nana was supposed to have arrived at Firi's house about an hour ago.

Not knowing where she was, Minna worriedly called back to her to inform her that her daughter was missing.

Great thing is that Minna knew who I was and some of the people who saw us contacted her.

I'm thankful for that otherwise, I might be in juvenile now.

"We're really worried about our daughter and for you to be there, I'm really grateful to you, Reiji."

"It's no big deal."

As a token of her appreciation, Nana's mother bundled up more candies than we've initially paid for.

Seeing her daughter, Nanapi whose energy had been reclaimed and was jumping in joy, I gladly accepted it.

Nana tugged me on the shirt, wanting to piggyback ride once again.

"Okay... And there we go. Watch out for your head."

"Yes!"

I respectfully lowered my head a bit towards Nana's mother. The bell rang crisply and as we were about to walk outside,

"Mo—Ahem! I mean Ma’am. You should treat your customers with respect next time."

Nana cheekily spouted some really, really blasphemous words, digging her own grave.

I really don't understand how this little girl thinks...

"You're right. I'm very sorry, dear customer."

Hmm? Her mother took it quite nicely... Is what I thought before looking back at her.

After bowing with sincerity, that smile on her mother's face could melt all of the candies at the store.

"Dear customer, please tell Nana that tonight she'll be enduring heavy punishment."

… I left the store with a bag of candies in my hand and a slab of soulless stone on my shoulders.

1