2. A large pepperoni pizza
426 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Somewhere out in the Black Valley, a war was settling with peace treaties being signed by a reluctant group of vampires. They hadn’t a choice, it was either cooperation or ruthless slaughter. Humans were like that towards those who were different.

 

After the signing, a festival was to be held in the city of Ir’agu to welcome the new governance ordained by the Hunter’s Association. The smiles that the citizen wore were false but they couldn’t really say no when it was the Hunter’s Association providing rations and supplies. Now that the ruling vampire class had been usurped, they only had their enemy to turn to for survival.

 

“You’re not staying for the party? They have free food and wine. Though it might be poisoned for all I know.” A female hunter hummed as she strolled out to the outskirts of the desert city. 

 

Her colleague and brother-in-arms was loading up a jeep with large cases, full of his specialized gear, no doubt. She decided to help him load up, hauling up a large metal case that was almost as long as she was tall.

 

“My presence would not be appreciated in their midst,” The man’s deep voice was calm and monotone. Ir’agu was arid with the hot sun beaming down yet he was still dressed in black from head to toe, with a long overcoat and leather boots as well. He was stunning, in a way that was deadly. The arcane sword that he wore at his hip was warning enough to any supernatural beings that might be tempted to approach. “Not after I slaughtered so many of their kin.”

 

Genocide wouldn’t be a bad description of the kind of work that they did. But hey, the money was good. Even if she knew that Graham never cared much about money. 

 

“You’re not wrong about that. So what’s next on the agenda? I heard the Assoc’s forcing you on vacation since the last one you took was over a decade ago.”

 

“…” Judging from Graham’s silence, she assumed that she hit the nail on the coffin. A whistle came from her lips, both impressed and pitying. 

 

“You going to visit Ruyan’s kid?” she asked, missing the way his shoulders tensed from the sound of her name. “I heard he’s gotten himself into some trouble.”

 

Graham was about to hop into the jeep but paused and looked back. “Trouble? Of what sort?”

 

“Rumors are about how he doesn’t want to continue hunting. The Assoc feels a certain way about Ruyan’s kid so, I guess we’ll have to see what they decide to do with him.”

 

“I see,” Graham answered plainly, “Then I will see that he does not cause any further inconveniences to the Hunter’s Association.”

 

She raised a brow, “And what about being on vacation?”

 

“Precisely.” Graham hopped into the jeep. 

 

She gave him a confused glare but Graham didn’t answer her silent question.

 

The engine roared to life. “Goodbye, Ms. Lanoise. May we meet again.”

 

“I told you to call me Marie!” She shouted as the jeep took off. Marie-Josianne rolled her eyes. “Goodbye to you too, Saint Graham.”

 

The next day, Graham was on a plane headed straight to Merriva.

 

Merriva was a country where dreams came true. It was a land of freedom and Han Li was pretty sure that meant he could do whatever he wanted. He already sent his operator his retirement letter. It was finally over. A done deal.

 

All Han Li had to do now was bask in sweet, sweet freedom and focus on his dreams of being a normal, fun-loving, societal leech. In other words, a university student. A normal university student without any hunting craziness. No more talismans and flying swords. Goodbye silver bullets for good! That meant ghosts and especially harpies because screw that, he’d rather forget they exist at all.

 

Han Li was giddy. He rolled on the beanbag in his small but cozy studio apartment. 

 

He was nineteen now, with dark hair and eyes. Typical appearance for being Yangese. He wasn’t lacking too much in height, just comfortably above average. All the years of hunting, even if it was only part-time, kept him fit. His body was lean and luckily he was never good at putting on muscle mass. All the better, it made his appearance stand out less and that was just what Han Li wanted.

 

He groped for the controller on the coffee table and flipped the channel to Anime Network. There was some cheesy show about a guy stuck in a virtual reality game that suited Han Li just fine. 

 

Now that he didn’t have to worry about hunting between projects and school, it meant that he could finish his homework later. Like, a day later. Or maybe two. Or on the very morning it’s due! 

 

Whatever! He could enjoy the full benefits of procrastination without having to stress about killing or getting killed by some supernatural creature.

 

Everything was perfect and right in the world.

 

His doorbell rang and Han Li sprung to his feet. His sweet pepperoni pizza had arrived!

 

Or so Han Li thought.

 

He opened the door expecting the Dominique Pizza delivery guy, but what he got instead was a dark, somber hunk with midnight hair and sharp, killer eyes. He might as well have stepped straight out of a hitman thriller TV show with that dark, smoldering look and dead expression. He wore a black overcoat but it did nothing to hide the defined shapes of muscle that lay beneath.

 

More importantly, there was no pizza box in his hand. 

 

Han Li sighed with disappointment, “I think you have the wrong apartment.”

 

But just as he was about to slam the door closed on the strange leather-wearing model of a man, gloved hands grabbed at his door. “You are Han Li, are you not?”

 

“Um,” Han Li blinked slowly at the man. He did leave his name with Dominique Pizza after all, but what kind of delivery guy looked like a supermodel and didn’t bring the actual pizza box? “Where’s my pizza? Because if you’re not the delivery guy then no, I don’t want to buy your weird essential oils or life insurance. I’m a broke university student with no money of my own. Thank you and goodbye.”

 

He tried to close his door a second time. This time a black leather dress shoe was shoved between the crack and though Han Li tried to slam the door with strength, the man did not react at all.

 

“My name is Graham Astley. I am your newly assigned supervisor, please refer to me for any new commissions.” 

 

“Uhh.” This was getting more awkward by the second. “Sorry, dude. I don’t need a supervisor so you can shoo, shoo.” Also, he was a bit old to need a supervisor so maybe his old operator sent this guy as a prank.

 

But this weird Graham guy wasn’t budging. And why did that name sound kind of familiar? It sounded like a grandpa’s name. Worst of all, this Graham guy was damn persistent. “No. It is required for free agents to work with operators. Therefore, I am your newly designated operator. You will refer to me for your future commissions.”

 

“Dude,” Han Li narrowed his eyes suspiciously, “I thought you said you were a supervisor, not an operator.” There was a major difference between the two. A supervisor was someone who looked after junior hunters on the field and an operator was someone that provided missions and handled the legal stuff for freelance hunters. 

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

Han Li took a deep breath and sighed, “Right. Never mind. You do you because this has nothing to do with me. I don’t need a supervisor OR an operator.”

 

“Han Li, I don’t think you understand—” 

 

“You’re the one who’s not understanding, big guy. Alright just, slowly back away or else I’m going to call the cops on you.

 

“Allow me to explain myself,” This Graham guy was not letting it drop. If his face wasn’t so lovely to look at, Han Li was certain that he would have shut the door on him already.

 

He raised a brow, “Okay? I’m listening.” Let’s see what nonsensical excuse you have, he thought.

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

“So?” Han Li urged.

 

“Wait,” Graham said, his expression completely still. “I’m still thinking.”

 

“You’re…thinking?” Han Li echoed with a frown.

 

“Yes. I am thinking of an excuse.”

 

“…” Han Li didn’t know if he should laugh or slam the door in this dumbass’s face. Maybe both. But as he was about to do precisely that, a cough came from the side.

 

“Uhh…A large pepperoni pizza for room 303…?” the pizza guy said hesitantly.

 

Han Li immediately swung his door open wide. “Yes!” he exclaimed loudly.

 

“I’ll pay,” Graham said immediately after, forking out a black card before Han Li could even react. He was probably too focused on alleviating the glorious and magnificent pizza box from the delivery man’s hands.

 

As the delivery guy was making his leave, Han Li was eager to bring his pizza inside, leaving Graham where he stood, at the open door.

 

“Han Li. About the previous topic of conversation—”

 

“Save it!” Han Li chirped, “Let’s have some pizza first, I’m starving.”

 

Graham stared, watching from the apartment hallway. It took him a second to respond with a like “ah” and step inside, closing the door behind him. 

 

20