4. How is this not flashy?
299 5 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Han Li was trying his hardest to ignore the curious stares of passersby as he stormed up to Graham. “What are you doing here!?”

 

They were right next to the campus and there was no doubt that a whole shit storm of weird rumors was about to arise because of this guy. Ugh! Han Li wanted to die just thinking about it. 

 

Of course, Mr Supermodel was as calm and collected as always, “Ah. Greetings Han Li, I was looking for you. You said that you wished to discuss the matters at hand, did you not?”

 

Well, yeah! But not here and not now! Han Li wanted to scream internally. “Okay fine but did you really have to come here all flashy and attract so much attention?” 

 

The way Graham’s brows furrowed was kind of cute and Han Li wanted to punch himself for thinking it was cute. “Flashy? I was not aware that I would attract so much attention…” He looked around. There were many people whispering and staring. Some people even whipped out their phones to snap a picture. Simone was no different, standing just a few meters away while holding her bloodied nose. 

 

Han Li made wild gestures at the sports car, “Yes! Flashy! How is this not flashy?”

 

“Ah,” Graham blinked, “But it is a good model.”

 

“Clearly. And you…” Han Li gestured at Graham’s entire person.

 

“…?”

 

“You stand out.”

 

“Hm.” Graham frowned as he tilted his head in thought, “It is true that I tend to attract a lot of attention. Though the reason always escapes me.”

 

“Your looks! Your looks stand out!”

 

“I do not do anything special with my appearance.”

 

“That only makes it worse! Argh. Never mind. We’re done with this conversation.”

 

“I’m sorry. If it is bothersome, I will consider taking a different approach next time.”

 

Next time…? Please don’t let there be a next time. “Look. It’s fine, I guess it was an honest mistake but I’m honestly a bit creeped out about how you found me.”

 

“How I found you? Your file included the information on your current enrollment. As your operator—”

 

“Okay, okay. I get it. But let’s move to somewhere a bit more discrete.” Which is something they should have done in the first place. Han Li didn’t want Graham to be spewing all this in front of normal people after all, especially not people from his university that he might run into from time to time.

 

Graham nodded slowly, “Alright. I understand. Please come with me.” He opened the passenger door to his car which made Han Li frown.

 

“Uhh…”

 

“Do not worry,” Graham said, “I only wish to take you out for a meal and we may discuss the details of our contract.”

 

What contract? As far as Han Li was concerned, there was no such thing. He sighed, scratching his head in indecision.

 

“Go on,” Simone’s voice cheerfully urged him. She was grinning with her nose pressed into her phone. “I took a photo of his license and everything so if you end up missing, at least the police will have a lead!”

 

How was that supposed to be comforting? He sent her a glare and shook his head. A free meal was still a free meal. “Fine, fine. Let’s talk this out,” Han Li grumbled and shoved himself into the car. The door was closed behind him and Simone waved him off from behind the tinted window.

 

Belatedly he kind of prayed that he hadn’t just stepped into a serial killer’s car or something.

 

Graham entered on the driver’s side. The engine started.

 

Welp, it was too late to run now.

 

The streets of New Lidway were busy, full of honking cars and people who did not respect the traffic laws.  Han Li kind of expected Graham, for being the boomer that he was, to drive like one too.

 

Well.

 

That was definitely not the case.

 

From excessive honking to aggressive stomping on the gas pedal, there were just one too many zips through a yellow light to make Han Li feel safe. Just what was wrong with this guy!? His driving didn’t match his personality at all! 

 

“Is there anywhere you would prefer to go?” Graham asked in his calm monotone voice.

 

No. Nowhere. Forget food, Han Li was going to be carsick. The car slowed, happening upon a traffic jam, which prompted Graham to hammer down on the honker.

 

“Stop that. Just. Stop. It’s not helping, you know that, right?” Han Li grumbled miserably.

 

“Hm?” But Graham wasn’t stopping, which only inspired a chain of aggressive car horns to ring out in harmony. 

 

“Graham,” Han Li’s voice was scolding as he reached out and yanked Graham’s hand off the wheel. 

 

“Ah. Forgive me. It is a bad habit.”

 

“I can see that.”

 

“Is there anywhere in particular where you’d like to eat?”

 

Han Li shook his head, “As long as it’s free…”

 

“Alright. I think I know just the place.”

 

 

Just the place, Han Li’s ass. It wasn’t just any place, no, even Han Li recognized the name and he was praying to the high heavens that Graham wasn’t going to take him to the Pearl. The Pearl was a high class, five-star restaurant. It featured transformative Yangnese cuisine (whatever that was supposed to mean) and the entrance featured a koi fish pond with a little waterfall.

 

Um.

 

Han Li wasn’t dressed for such an establishment! These places had dress codes right? Oh gods, he was getting dizzy from the anxiety of it all. 

 

But no, maybe Graham was actually bringing him to the burger joint across the street. Right?

 

Right?

 

Wrong.

 

Graham was definitely walking him into the Pearl like this was straight out of a scene from a shitty romance novel. Han Li was only quiet because was a second away from choking on his spit.

 

“Graham,” he said, nervous and fretting, not quite wanting to greet the hostess that was welcoming them inside. “Why in the world are you bringing me to a place like this?”

 

The hostess looked at Han Li with visible skepticism in her eyes but when Graham told her his reservation number and name her face lit up and she bowed immediately, ushering them inside. They were greeted with a narrow hall lined with bamboo. The floor below them was pebbled. Instead of being brought to the main lobby, the hostess led them upstairs.

 

“Hm? The food is spectacular here. Are you not of Yangese heritage? I was hoping it might be familiar to you.”

 

Uhhh. Han Li was pretty sure that he was more familiar with hamburgers and pizza, thank you very much. He was Yangese in name and appearance alone, dammit. He grimaced after setting down in his seat. Thankfully, Graham had managed to arrange a private room for them because Han Li didn’t know what he’d do if all the people were staring at him because he looked out of place.

 

Probably freak out and die from an anxiety attack, that was a thing that could happen to people, right?

 

“Dude,” he said, “Can’t you warn a guy before you bring him to a five-star restaurant? You do realize they have a dress code here, right?”

 

“Hm,” Graham hummed, picking up the small menu. “They have two sets of courses today. Which one would you prefer? And do pick something from the wine menu.”

 

“Were you even listening? No wait, of course, you were. Just tactfully ignoring me again, huh? Did anyone ever tell you that was rude?”

 

Graham looked up and nodded, “Yes. People have told me such. But there is no reason to worry, after all, I will be the one paying. And if you’re worried about your attire, that is why we are in a private room.”

 

“…Right,” Han Li’s voice was dripping with suspicion. He recalled the fact that this room had to be reserved. So Graham had totally been planning this from the very beginning, huh? He smirked at the thought, “Did you really think you could bribe me back into the hunting business with food? I’m starting to think that’s what this is all about.”

 

“Ah,” Graham blinked, his fingers crossing over the table, those sinuous leather gloves were still over his hands. “It seems you’ve caught me red-handed.” 

 

“…” Han Li sighed, “Well, at least you’re honest.”

 

“Hm. Have you chosen your set? I see that you have yet to glance at the wine menu.”

 

Han Li grimaced, eyes glazing over as they flitted towards the wine menu being shoved in his face. The names were unfamiliar and the numbers next to them made him dizzy. He had no idea what any of this even meant. “Ahahaha…They don’t happen to have beer, do they?”

 

“No. But if you wish, I might be able to have something arranged.”

 

A curious scene popped into Han Li’s mind, where he imagined Graham holding the owner of the establishment at gunpoint, demanding that they bring him a beer. He chuckled at the thought.

 

“What’s funny?” Graham asked.

 

“Nothing…I just thought…you’re kind of like a mafia boss, aren’t you?”

 

“Ah. Do I really look the type? I must have made a terrible impression.”

 

“I mean, you harassed me, purposely ignored me, dragged me out of my comfort zone—”

 

“Say no more. Allow me to make amends.”

 

“Okay, then you can start with why you’re so desperate to recruit back into the ranks of hunters in the first place. I’ve given you a whole day to think of excuses so I’m expecting something good.” 

 

Important question: What kind of uploading schedule is meta here or else I'm just gonna go about this like an unhinged psychopath...

16