8. Seriously starving
228 9 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Letting Graham come inside his home might not have been the best idea but it was too late now. Han Li had to suffer the consequences. 

 

He tried to ignore his impromptu decision-making skills and finally turned on the TV, hoping that whatever show that was playing might distract Graham from conversation.

 

Currently, the Saint of Eternity was occupied with his phone. After dialing a number printed on one of the various restaurant brochures scattered on the coffee table, Graham was stuck in a deep and lengthy conversation with the poor worker on the other side.

 

He was asking for a detailed ingredient list for each menu item, even though the information was printed right in front of him.

 

“And what of the Karaage Chicken Special? Fried? And what of the batter? You said that the chicken is fried. I’m asking if it’s different from the pork. I see. So there is no tomato included in the salad for this meal. No. Not yet. I wish to know about the following item…”

 

Han Li was starting to regret his decision about letting Graham order. Maybe he should have done the ordering part and just let gramps over here do the paying with his fancy black card. 

 

A sigh left his lips, “Just pick something random and do it quickly. I’m seriously starving here.” His kitchen was only a few steps again and there his fridge rested in perpetual emptiness. 

 

Filtered water was taken from the fridge, two glasses poured. Han Li still had enough dignity in him to maintain a level of politeness. He returned to the coffee table just in time to watch Graham go with the first item listed on the brochure: a double meal set of fried chicken and curry. 

 

…All that time spent on the phone just to pick the very first thing on the menu? Never mind, Han Li could never fathom the inner workings of Graham’s mind. One glass of water was placed closer to Graham and the other was of course, for himself. Han Li sat on the floor. There was a couch, but he felt that it was a bit too far away and Graham was occupying the beanbag.

 

“If it had been me, the food would have already gotten here,” Han Li complained lazily. 

 

Graham gave him a look. “Did you wish to have your seat back?” He rose but Han Li hissed, twisting backwards to put his hand on Graham’s knee, forcing him back down to a seated position. 

 

It was only after that he retracted his hand like it burned. Han Li coughed, feeling a bit awkward. “No. I’m fine on the floor, it’s not only comfy but it’s clean. I actually sweep and mop, you know?”

 

Graham nodded. “By no means was I insulting your ability to maintain cleanliness.”

 

“…Right.”

 

“…”

 

“…”

 

Silence stretched between them as the sounds of an awful slice-of-life anime filled the room. Han Li reaches over to his drawing project, only to stop, not really feeling up to it.

 

He fidgeted with his sleeve and felt the desire to melt into the floor. Why did he invite this guy in again?

 

But Graham wasn’t mentioning anything about hunting and Han Li didn’t say anything about that last embarrassing encounter that still hung heavily on his mind. He didn’t know if it was a blessing or a curse.

 

Han Li cleared his throat and said, “You—”

 

At the same time, “Han Li—”

 

They both paused and looked at each other, eyes locking.

 

“Go on,” Graham urged politely.

 

“No, no,” Han Like grimaced at his own awkwardness, “You go first…” It wasn't like he remembered what he wanted to say. He kind of wished that he took back the beanbag, just so he could have something to sink down into. 

 

Alas! Missed opportunities remained missed opportunities. 

 

Graham let out a puff of air through his nose. “I wanted to apologize for my insensitive words from last time.”

 

Han Li frowned, “You already did that like…I’ve lost count of how many times.”

 

“Perhaps. But this time I will answer you honestly. That is something I can promise.”

 

Was Han Li supposed to believe that? He sighed, unsure. He kind of wished he took the chance earlier to go down to the corner store to buy some beer. A drink would have been nice, anything to muddle up his thoughts. Tiredness left a throb behind his eyelids and Han Li would be lying if he said he was hopeful for the truth. Still, he asked, “So why do you want me to go back to hunting? Why me?”

 

“The reason…” Graham frowned, “The reason is confidential. Unfortunately, you do not have the clearance to know.”

 

“…Oh.” Was Graham lying again? Because that was one weird answer. As per usual, his facial expression was impossible to read. “You’re really a piece of a work, you know?”

 

“A piece of…? Ah, another saying that escapes my understanding.” Graham scratched his chin and then turned his eyes to the TV, his brows furrowed further. It was a bit cute. “Do you have any other questions for me?”

 

Han Li nodded, “Why do you care so much? About me that is. Unless this is some sort of mission the Association assigned to you or something…”

 

“In the eyes of the Hunter’s Association, you are indeed currently my responsibility. But I have taken the job due to personal reasons.”

 

“Personal reasons?” Han Li questioned.

 

Graham nodded, “Correct. Your mother and I were good friends.”

 

“What? Don’t bullshit me, you’re too young to know my—”

 

The doorbell rang and Graham got to his feet faster than Han Li. It was pretty late for a meal since it took so long for Graham to order. By the time the food was in front of Han Li, his stomach was already moaning desperately to be fed. Oh, sweet delicious curry… come to papa…

 

They ate in silence, Graham had taken to the show again and for some reason, Han Li didn’t feel like interrupting his attention. It was kind of funny how keenly his eyes were glued to the screen. As expected, Graham only turned to Han Li after the ending credits played, “Why did those giants not have any genitals? I couldn’t help but find myself distracted by their sexless crotch.”

 

Han Li almost spat out his water. Of all things for this guy to ask…! “That’s not…! That’s not even that important to the plot. This is what you want to talk about…seriously?”

 

“Hm. Their appearance was so distracting that I found it difficult to focus on anything else. Truly disturbing.”

 

Han Li facepalmed, his face starting to redden as he imagined the straight-faced Graham spending the past twenty minutes staring at sexless anime crotches… What in the world… “I’m sure you’ve come across more messed up things in real life, no? I mean I’ve seen my fair share of shit out there.” 

 

He remembered one particular case from his childhood that scarred him for life. There was a witch messing on the seaside with necromancy and somehow had given rise to an army of zombie octopi…or is it octopuses? Han Li wanted to lurch just recalling their tangling, rotting tentacles circling his limbs. Ugh.

 

But Graham only tilted his head, “Things grounded in reality have no means of fazing me.”

 

“…But you can’t deal with anime giants that don’t have dicks or vagina.”

 

“That is correct.”

 

Never mind, he should have never expected common sense from this guy in the first place. 

 

Graham did not stay too long after, once again stating that it was getting late. This time, Han Li was actually given the opportunity to walk the guy out the door.

 

“I hope that our relationship has been amended,” Graham said as he stepped out the door.

 

Han Li scoffed without any heat, “As if we had a relationship in the first place.”

 

Graham breathed out from his nose, it only occurred to Han Li then that he might be chuckling. “If you are ever in need of technical advice on your skills, I am at your disposal. Goodnight, Han Li.”

 

“…Huh? Goodnight?” Han Li waved him off as he stared at Graham’s back in confusion. It was only after he closed his door that he suddenly recalled Graham’s critique of Han Li’s kissing skills.

 

He choked on his own spit. That bastard…! Han Li snapped back and swung his door open again but by then Graham was long gone. Next time…! Next time, Han Li swore, he was going to give Mr Pizza Assassin Graham Assholely a piece of his mind and maybe his fist to remind him to never. Ever. Ever. Bring up that incident. Ever. Ever. Again!

 

Just as he was busy throwing an internal tantrum, Han Li strolled back into the living area and stumbled upon his discarded drawing project that he hadn’t worked on at all.

 

Oh shit. He was so fucked.

 

 

While Graham was driving back to his New Lidway home, his phone rang obnoxiously, interrupting the classical music he was playing on his surround sound speakers. He put the call through to his car.

 

“Mr Walker.”

 

An older man’s voice responded, “Ah, Saint Graham. I reckon that you are doing fine on your…vacation.”

 

“…”

 

“Ah? Nothing to say? Very well,” a cough, “I have been…made aware of your recent…project. It is very out of character of you, I must say.”

 

“…” Graham did not deign him with a response. He waited for Walker to say something of interest. 

 

“And what of your progress with the boy? If it is not working out I can easily dispatch a different agent for the job. After all, we need you for other things.”

 

Graham’s lips pulled taut in displeasure, his foot came down heavily on the gas pedal, “It is going well.” The tires screeched as he made a turn, the streetlight flashing red.

 

“Really?” Mr Walker’s voice was high, full of suspicion and weasley slyness. “I was told that the boy has yet to take on a single commission after the announcement of his retirement.”

 

“He will,” Graham insisted.

 

“Ah, but when? The Board can’t wait forever, Saint Graham.” 

 

Graham did not like the man’s patronizing tone.

 

“Soon,’ Graham said bluntly and ended the call before Walker could say anything else. 

I'm never sure what to write in these notes but I feel the obligation to at least say hello as the author.

So.

Um. Hello. Pardon my awkwardness. Goodbye.

12