10. Teacups cannot compare
201 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello, this is the Author. How are you today? (pick one that applies the most)
  • Good Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Sleepy Votes: 14 63.6%
  • Depressed Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Broke Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Angry Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hungry Votes: 1 4.5%
Total voters: 22

Graham was becoming a fixture in Han Li’s life whether he liked it or not. Pizza assassin guy wasn’t leaving and had made it clear from the start, much to Han Li’s chagrin. But despite being a persistent stalker, he didn’t creep Han Li out. And dare he say that he was starting to get used to Graham’s low-tiered harassment.

 

No seriously. 

 

The worst part of it was the nagging and the constant halo of attention that seemed to follow Graham wherever he went. But aside from that, the guy was kind of funny. He didn’t invade Han Li’s personal space and always backed off at the very end. Even though it was likely just a ploy to get on Han Li’s good side, at least Graham was somewhat mindful. 

 

And that was already better than ninety percent of men that Han Li had gone on dates with.

 

Which was why Han Li halfway tolerated him hanging out in the painting studio with his peers in the late afternoon, while they were slaving away to finish up the final details for their big midterm project.

 

Only halfway, though. 

 

Because for once, Graham wasn’t actually talking to Han Li despite being in the same room. Instead, he was hunched over the table next to Kevin, while Kevin excitedly explained the concept of his artwork to the hunter.

 

Han Li felt his eyelid twitch. 

 

A part of him wanted to be happy about receiving a reprieve from the harassment, while another part was screaming that his precious, innocent Kevin was being stolen from right under his nose. There was also a tiny hint of his conscience left, reminding him that his painting project was due in only two days and he still hadn’t started the essay that was meant to go alongside the piece.

 

While his mind was engulfed in an all-out internal war, his hand worked lazily at the painting of a praying mantis set upon the easel.

 

But an offensive arm came nudging at Han Li’s side, causing his brush to make a wrong stroke.

 

“…” His brow twitched some more.

 

Simone was oblivious to Han Li’s internal suffering as she leaned in, her eyes fixated on the scene unfolding over Han Li’s shoulder. “Hey, my dude, my man, Mr Li Han. Isn’t the ship sailing without you?”

 

That was it.

 

Han Li slammed his paintbrush down on the small desk next to him. As much as he wanted to snarl at Simone, she was also right. So he did the most mature thing and marched right in between Kevin and Graham and pushed them apart. (Definitely not motivated by jealousy. Ahem.)

 

“You two…” Wait shit, what was he going to say? Stop flirting? Stop making Han Li jealous and envious? His voice faltered. “Stop being…so loud.”

 

Across the studio, he could see Simone mouth, “Smooth.”

 

If it wasn’t suspicious, he’d give her the middle finger. 

 

“O-oh,” Kevin’s cheeks went red, he blinked and fidgeted with his sleeves, “Were we…being loud? I didn’t notice. Sorry about that, Li.”

 

“We were speaking at a normal volume,” unlike Kevin, Graham pulled no punches. “Were you bothered by something? It was not our intention to upset you.”

 

Han Li wanted to bite his tongue off. It was kind of hard to come up with a retort against the truth, “I— Just— Got a bit distracted.”

 

Graham let out a huff, a sound that Han Li was starting to recognize as laughter. It only served to make his face grow hotter. “I understand. I will return to my duties then. Han Li, Mr White and Ms Donella, goodbye.”

 

And just like that, he was gone.

 

“Bye Graham!” Simone shouted like a maniac after Graham had already left the studio.

 

Kevin looked down and whispered a soft goodbye that probably couldn’t be heard by anyone but Han Li.

 

And as for Han Li? Well, he could only stand there awkwardly because it was impossible to start a conversation with Kevin now. All he could do was return to his canvas in defeat and sigh loudly.

 

“Now, now,” Simone singsonged as she leaned on his shoulder like a cat, “We all have to suffer our losses from time to time. But just think what could have happened if I hadn’t pushed you to intervene! It could have been so, so, SO much worse.” 

 

Worse how? Han Li thought. In the fact that they’d still be flirting? Well, that was an annoying possibility that Han Li was glad he avoided.

 

Han Li pushed Simone off, “Just… stop talking, please. Don’t you have your own painting to be working on?” He then added with a quiet hiss, “And Kevin is still here you dipshit! Have some tact, would you?”

 

Simone shrugged, “I’m taking a strategic break, that’s all. What’s it to you, Mr Li Han?” Simone did not return to her work and instead pulled out her phone.

 

“Han Li,” he responded automatically before turning his full attention back to his painting.

 

By the time that he left the studio, everything was dark, the lights in the university’s halls were muted, with only a single set still flickering. Most of the exits were closed as well. But the art studios were opened twenty-four seven to accommodate lazy, procrastinating students like himself.

 

His painting was finally done and some well-deserved rest was waiting for him at home.

 

It turned out that Graham was also waiting for him by the exit. 

 

Han Li wasn’t even surprised.

 

“It is late and I am aware that you have yet to eat,” Graham said as a greeting. Which basically translated to ‘let me take you out for dinner’. 

 

Han Li grimaced and began to walk but didn’t quicken his pace when Graham followed. He was still kind of annoyed with the man, but not annoyed enough to blatantly tell him off. 

 

“I’m not hungry,” Han Li lied as his stomach traitorously rumbled. Pink dusted his cheeks and Han Li was glad that the evening darkness was there to help hide his face. He ducked behind the high collar of his thin, fall jacket for good measure. Just in case Graham had some sort of crazy night vision. You never knew.

 

“…I’m not in the mood for a restaurant. Just want to eat at home.”

 

“I understand. Then why don’t we have dinner at mine?”

 

Han Li opened his mouth to say no but he was, for some reason, already walking to the parking lot instead of the bus stop. He suddenly realized that Graham had been over to his place a few times already but he still had yet to see Graham’s home. A spark of interest ignited in his mind. Well, tomorrow was the weekend so what was the problem?

 

“Okay, as long as you don’t murder me in cold blood,” he joked.

 

“Ah. If I had wished to do so then you would have been long dead.” 

 

Han Li didn’t know if Graham was trying to make him laugh or freak him out, because Han Li was kind of doing both internally. Too late to back out though, because he was already crawling into Graham’s car.

 

 

“We’re here.”

 

“Huh…?” Han Li blinked, the world coming back to him slowly. He yawned and stretched, taking a moment to get reorientated. When and how did he fall asleep? He must have been more tired than he expected. 

 

There was the sound of a car door opening and closing. In the next second, Graham was opening the door on the passenger side, urging Han Li to hop out.

 

They were in an indoor parking lot…or at least Han Li assumed it to be a parking lot because it looked more like a hotel lobby filled with luxury sports cars than the dingy cramped car parks that Han Li was used to.

 

Huh…?

 

Still dazed and recovering from sleepiness, Han Li followed Graham like a lost baby chick. They entered an elevator and Graham pulled out a card. He clicked on the penthouse button.

 

In an instant, all the sleepiness was replaced with panicked anxiety. Because oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. What was Han Li even thinking when he agreed to follow Graham to his home?

 

His palms grew sweaty as his mind went blank, words on his lips tumbled out, “So, if I accidentally spilled a drink on your couch or carpet, would you make me pay for it? Because I’m pretty sure you own teacups that are worth more than my entire being.”

 

Graham’s right brow lifted ever so slightly. Han Li felt like his micro-expression reading skill was slowly leveling up by being in this man’s vicinity. 

 

“Teacups cannot be compared to a person’s life, Han Li. Do not be nervous, this is not my main property. I do not have many personal items in this place so you will have to excuse the barrenness. But please, make yourself at home.” 

 

As you can tell, I am naming chapters in the most irresponsible and haphazard way possible. Basically, I don't even know what the hell I'm doing.

13