16. You will see
144 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was rainy on that Thursday evening. Just a light drizzle. 

 

Their date was late, giving Han Li ample time to groom and agonize over his clothes before Graham showed. Would it be too weird to dress up? It would show that he cared when he knew this was all a rouse. He’d been stuck on this decision for hours.

 

Biting his cheeks, Han Li decided to fuck it and just throw on whatever. A fitted beige crew neck and loosely fitted light washed jeans should do the trick right? But he felt awfully plain and threw on a set of rings and a necklace and a cap to spice up the outfit.

 

…That might have been too much. He never dressed like this at school. What if Graham noticed the difference?

 

Just as he was about to change again, his ring tone made him jump.

 

Graham was already downstairs. Shit. 

 

Han Li didn’t waste any time, rushing out of his apartment and almost forgetting to grab his umbrella. 

 

A black sedan was parked outside and beckoned a lot of attention around this particular part of town. But it made Han Li’s time easier, making a break for the vehicle as he hopped on into the car, avoiding as much rainwater as possible. 

 

“You’re…early,” Han Li caught a quick glimpse of Graham’s attire. There was a silken dress shirt the color of midnight with dress pants to match. He had the same old gloves and watch at his wrist. Except this time he wore a leather jacket instead of a trench coat and still looked as though he stepped straight out of a magazine. The vibe was a bit different than usual, a tad bit more casual and a smidgen bit edgier.

 

In comparison, Han Li didn’t know if he was underdressed or overdressed and instead turned away in hopes that his thoughts would fizzle out.

 

“I’m on time,” Graham noted with a hum as he backed the car out of the parking. “You did not have to rush. I would have waited.”

 

“I…didn’t rush,” Han Li grumbled. 

 

The movie theater wasn’t too far and Graham didn’t insist on getting dinner beforehand. It almost seemed like a half-assed date, which was…odd, considering Graham’s motives.

 

That only made Han Li intrigued. “So why are we seeing this movie anyways? I don’t really get how this is supposed to get me back into hunting. Don’t tell me this is an attempt to woo me because if that’s the case.” He grinned, playfully leaning in, “Then you’re not exactly succeeding.”

 

Graham shot him a glance before turning his attention back to the road. The rain fell upon the windshield and it was dark save for the blaring lights from the vast sprawl of vehicles that cluttered New Lidway’s streets. For once, Graham wasn’t being so reckless behind the wheel. 

 

“Do you wish to be wooed?”

 

Han Li fidgeted, leaning against the window. “No. Why would I? When I already know your true intentions.”

 

“My only wish is for your well-being.”

 

“Now that’s a lie if I ever heard one,” Han Li scoffed, eyes rolling but there was a smile on his lips. Raindrops drew streaks on the window and Han Li pretended that they were half-interesting. They were pulling up in the driveway now and were a bit early to the movie but that was fine. 

 

Han Li was used to Graham’s presence now, an added few minutes of being in the man's glorious sexy aura wasn’t going to kill him or anything.

 

There weren’t many people at the lonesome theaters on a Thursday evening. Sane people actually had things to do on a Friday morning. Han Li did too for that matter but he just liked to pretend that he didn’t. 

 

Neon lights greeted them at an entrance crammed between a clothing store and a staircase that led to a strip bar. But the theater inside was actually quite spacious, with a giant popcorn statue that took front and center with dirty red carpets rolled out to the self-service kiosks.

 

It shouldn’t come as a surprise when Graham was stabbing the poor machine with his index finger, not seeming to understand the slight desynchronizing and confusing buttons littering the sides of the screen.

 

“Let me,” Han Li offered, but when tried to step in, Graham didn’t budge and became a solid wall that Han Li crashed into. He stared, incredulous, as Graham continued on as though nothing had happened at all. “Are you serious?”

 

Apparently so. Three trailers, two commercials and five error screens later, Graham managed to pay for two, and only two tickets for the latest blockbuster thriller. Han Li was shocked they hadn’t been late at that point. “It would have been faster if you had just let me do it,” Han Li complained.

 

“I know,” Graham acknowledged without meeting Han Li’s eyes.

 

When they were finally ready to find their respective room and seats, the ticket taker that should have been present was nowhere to be seen. 

 

“Wait here,” Graham gave no opportunity for a response before running off, leaving Han Li behind in a daze.

 

“Huh?” They could have just waited, there was likely someone who would come along and their tickets.

 

But Graham had already flown across the whole cinema lobby, finding a young man with box dye blond hair and rows of piercings on each ear. Cheaply done tattoos peeked out from under the cinema’s sky blue uniform and a face that would have been youthful if it hadn’t been so deeply marred with substance abuse. If there was anyone that Han Li would have asked for help from, it wouldn’t have been this guy.

 

Graham did not seem to care. “Pardon, we are waiting for our tickets to be taken.”

 

The worker’s face twisted into a snarl. The way he snapped at Graham was likened to an angered dog, “Then wait longer, asswipe. Can’t ya see I’m busy?”

 

“It is part of your job to take our tickets,” Graham in full, Graham-fashioned stubbornness wouldn’t budge an inch. Uh oh, this didn’t seem good. Han Li cursed and started jogging up to the two. 

 

The cinema worker was not patient enough to wait for Han Li’s arrival. “Shut your fucking mouth, motherfucker. I’ll do whatever the fuck I want!” 

 

The broom dropped, clattering against the polished ceramic floor. A punch was thrown at Graham’s face but the man didn’t stand a chance. His fist was stopped midair, long gloved fingers circled around his own as steady as stone.

 

“Take our tickets. It is what you are paid to do.” 

 

Other workers had started to take note of the devolving situation, flitting over with various degrees of panic plastered on their faces. 

 

Han Li slowed to watch the workers approach first. “We’re so sorry sir! Please excuse Rob here, he’s got a few screws loose.”

 

“Who the fuck are you calling a psycho!?” The man named Rob flailed. But when he tried to free himself from Graham’s grasp, his fist wouldn’t budge an inch.

 

“Do you know how much trouble you’ll get us into if the cops get called again? This place is practically going bankrupt all because the big boss refuses to fire his own degenerate son!” 

 

"Your face looks degenerated!” 

 

Only then did Graham finally let go. With the cinema worker having lost any interest in him, he stood there quietly without another word. Another employee of the establishment jogged up to him, apologizing profusely for her colleagues’ behavior and desperately begged him not to call the cops.

 

“He won’t call the police,” Han Li gave the girl a winning smile, hoping that it was enough to soothe the anxiety that was causing her to bow way too much, flinging long blond hair several times at Han Li’s nose. 

 

It was only after their tickets were taken that Han Li finally hissed in Graham’s direction, “Was that shit earlier really that necessary? You know I hate drawing attention from crowds.”

 

“I had no intentions—”

 

“—of making you feel uncomfortable,” Han Li finished the sentence flawlessly, mimicking the depths of Graham’s voice. 

 

It was sudden enough that even the mighty Graham Astley had to pause and stare at Han Li in silence.

 

The younger of the two shrugged, “I can’t help it if you’re that predictable.”

 

“…It was necessary,” Graham said eventually, opening the wide black doors that welcomed them side to darkness and flashing advertisements played on the screen. 

 

“What?” Han Li asked, not having heard exactly what Graham had said. 

 

“You will see.”

 

Hello from the other sideeeee...

Ah, I want to go to KTV. Really  badly... Also have a quick doodle of what Han Li wore to the cinema hahaa.

 

9