Chapter 79: The Port of Ghosts and Demons Part 10
218 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“This is crushed ghentium,” Hamra explained, holding a small brown bag. 

She reached inside and took out a handful. Immediately a pungent herb smell filled the air. The scent reminded Freya of bergue incense but more peppery.

“Qi energy needs to be infused into the powder to make it work,” Scrimmancer took over the explanation as Hamra closed her eyes to concentrate.

Freya glanced at the others. The scene reminded her of when she explained her shaman work to the game players. Once Hamra finished infusing her qi into the ghentium powder, she backed up and tossed it up in the air. The fine powder floated everywhere around them. 

Nightscythe coughed and swatted the air in front of his face.

“This will attract ghosts?” Heilong asked, also covering her nose and mouth.

The smell of the ghentium was overwhelming now. Freya was used to powerful incense sticks, but this was at another level. Her eyes watered.

“It’s going to attract something,” Nightscythe said, hacking up a lung. “The whole country can probably smell that now.”

Infamous Biscuit patted his back as he continued coughing. 

“Sorry, it’s a bit strong,” said Hamra. She took out a cloth and wiped her hands. “It’s hard to grind the powder this fine, but it makes it more potent and more likely to attract ghosts.”

Right on cue, something started to coalesce in front of them. It began to form next to K13, but neither he, Infamous Biscuit, nor Heilong noticed.

The ghost took the form of an older woman. She appeared with simple clothes and only glanced at them before quickly disappearing.

Next was an older man, too old to be the King’s brother. He also said nothing but looked at Hamra a long time before fading away. Freya quietly described the spirit’s appearances to the others that couldn’t see.

After a few more minutes passed, a spirit formed in a flash right in front of Hamra.

“Bring justice to us! The King has to answer for this!” the spirit of a young girl screamed in Hamra’s face. She wore basic clothes, similar to the first older woman to appear. But her spirit was much more fiery. 

“We didn’t deserve to die like this! The King failed us!”

The spirit caught sight of Infamous Biscuit and flashed over to him, “That staff- are you a shaman? You failed us!”

Despite her screams, Infamous Biscuit didn’t notice anything. He only touched his hair nervously as the four that could see stared at him. Disgusted, the spirit floated away from them, “What’s the point in talking to such frauds.”

Then she too disappeared.

Thoughts raced through Freya’s mind. Given all the evidence: the presence of a large azaleihagen and plexplex; to the ability of a demon attack to occur in the first place, she knew something was wrong with the Port District’s shamans. This animosity of the town’s dead residents added to the case. Additionally, the handling of Aziza’s curse did not place the shamans of the port in a good spot in Freya’s mind. 

Before she could voice her thoughts, another silhouette slowly assembled. This figure wore much different clothing than the others that appeared before. His clothes were more fitted, and he wore several layers made from different fabrics. 

Like the frantic girl before him, this spirit had a lot of energy. He appeared less misty and more solid compared to other spirits. 

“Excuse me,” Freya said hesitantly, “Are you Prince Toychi, brother of the King?”

The spirit glanced towards Freya, “You are correct. Did my brother send you?”

Freya gave the same courtesy they had given the King, then answered, “Yes, he asked us to settle whatever regrets you have.”

Prince Toychi turned his attention to Hamra. The woman shifted uncomfortably under his gaze.

“I didn’t think my brother would get in touch with a necromancer.”

Hamra flinched at the word. She had said before that necromancers were shunned from society, but Freya couldn’t figure out how the prince knew she was one so fast. Either way, Freya didn’t understand the discrimination.

“She made it easier to find you,” Freya shot back. 

The spirit held up his hands, “I just found it surprising.”

Freya calmed herself down; she didn’t want the spirit to disappear even if he said harsh things. Plus, his words seemed to stem from unfamiliarity rather than true malice.

“In fact, this is a good opportunity,” Prince Toychi said, turning back to Hamra, “I must find out how this district fell into such disarray. Please make a contract with me.”

He extended a hand out to Hamra.

For a moment, Hamra froze, then jumped back.

Prince Toychi appeared confused, “Necromancers can make contracts with ghosts, right?”

“I will not make a contract with a human ghost. It is forbidden.”

13