Chapter 89: New Realms
185 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“People have avoided me, yelled at me, and even chased me once they found out I was a necromancer. But game players don’t care. Even though they can easily identify me, they don’t care who I am,” Hamra said, looking solemnly at the Player Card on the ground. 

The necromancer’s long black hair partially blocked Freya’s view of her expression. But she could hear the bitterness and awe in her voice.

“Ah, no. That’s not entirely true,” Hamra corrected herself. “If they do care about me being a necromancer, the worst they do is pester me to teach them.”

Scrimmancer suddenly became interested in looking around the square.

“Is that how you guys met?” Heilong asked, poking Scrimmancer. “I heard learning skills related to the necromancer class is hard, especially when getting started.”

Scrimmancer scratched the back of his head, “I thought learning from a native necromancer might unlock some hidden skills or quests. And, well, Hamra has been a good teacher. I wouldn’t have gotten so far in my summoning skill without her.”

“He did bother me for two weeks before I agreed to teach him anything.”

The player necromancer’s face turned pink but said confidently, “Well, it paid off in the end.”

Hamra smiled at him. The playful expression was fleeting, but Freya felt the sincerity of it. She sensed it had not been just worth it to Scrimmancer, but for the native necromancer as well. 

Returning to her regular serious expression, Hamra said, “It scared me at first how he figured out I was a necromancer. I was extremely careful not to react to any ghosts I saw and stayed clear from shamans.”

Freya cocked her head to the side, “Why do you need to avoid shamans? I can’t sense anything different about you.”

“But you can see ghosts,” Hamra explained. “Ghosts can tell that I’m a necromancer, and often they’ll let shamans know.”

“Maybe we should just move to the other side of the continent,” Scrimmancer said, watching Freya’s expression. “It sounds like shamans where Freya lives are unfamiliar with necromancers.”

Freya nodded confirmation. She’d never heard about necromancers until she was involved in the game. Previously, Hamra had explained people in Suen and neighboring countries were wary of necromancers due to their ability to make contracts with human spirits. These contracts were seen as creepy on their own, plus the contracted human spirit would eventually turn into a demonic monster. Freya never knew such a thing was possible. Part of her wondered if it was an exaggerated tale. Either way, Hamra wouldn’t have to worry about discrimination in Freya’s home country of Oyosi.

“Yes, I can do that. However,” Hamra stuck her chin up, “I’d like to be a part of this ‘game’ realm. I wasn’t certain at first, but now after thinking about it, it seems silly to pass up this opportunity. I want to understand more about players and the game, and if it makes me stronger along the way, that’s a bonus.”

~~~~

Freya stared out at the sea. The smell of salt and fish brought her back to her first true experience with the game. Shortly after she picked up her Player Card, she had accidentally traveled to the oceanside town of Pelophia and met Infamous Biscuit. On that fishy-smelling boardwalk, she had chosen the martial artist class and participated in her first dungeon.

“What’s wrong with that necromancer?”

The spirit of Prince Toychi looked towards Hamra. The new player was staring in front of herself and occasionally swiping the air.

“She’s just, um, doing some necromancer stuff,” Freya explained. Despite knowing about the game beforehand, Hamra was likely just as overwhelmed as she had once been. During their entire walk here, she had been looking at her game screen interface. 

Freya cleared her throat and continued, “We cleared the district of all demons. People should be able to return here. The talismans will hold back new demons for a while, but the Port District will need new shamans to maintain the peace.”

Prince Toychi’s form softened, “Thank you. I wish this could have all been prevented, but at least my country can move forward now.”

The center of the spirit still swirled with displeasure, but his edges calmed. He looked out over the Port District, “Please let my brother know I love him, and I still believe he is the right leader for our country.”

“I will tell him,” Freya reassured.

Prince Toychi turned dimmer as his energy calmed further. He cast his gaze down wistfully at Freya, “You’re a shaman, aren’t you? A powerful one too. Perhaps you could take over as the new head shaman for the Port District.”

“Ah,” Freya’s heart pounded. “I think there are a lot of other shamans more suited than me.”

I have one job I’m barely able to fulfill now; I’m not taking an even bigger job, Freya thought to herself. 

“Oh? That’s too bad,” Prince Toychi said. “I’d feel a bit better leaving a part of my country to you.”

And with that, the spirit of Prince Toychi Hakim Soli disappeared. 

12