Chapter 131: Rushing In
111 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

~A few minutes earlier~

Botan whipped his head back and forth between the two groups of demoniclasts. His mentor was leaving. Meanwhile, Indrek and Frey hadn’t moved their horses. Botan’s horse flicked its ears in annoyance as he held it back from following the departing horses.

He should follow his mentor, of course. Plus, Kamdale’s words made sense to Botan. The other demoniclasts, Daveth and Meng also seemed to believe his words since they were following him. But choosing to leave meant renouncing Indrek Penhale. 

Growing up in the neighboring country of Kypro, Botan still heard tales about Indrek. The shaman apprentice turned demoniclast was reputed to be the strongest man alive. People said Indrek took down a wolf demon with his bare hands. His glowing sword could chop a Kypro knife-breaker in half. Botan had doubts about the rumors, but after seeing him in person, he believed the tales.

Indrek Penhale was the unofficial figurehead of the demoniclasts. Everyone looked up to him. How could Botan side against him?

But before he knew it, Botan was urging his horse forward. His surroundings flashed by as if he was sliding on ice. He could feel the eyes on his back. Gripping the reins tightly, he listened back for the clip-clop of hooves. But Frey did not follow. 

You always rush into things without thinking! The angry voice of his father echoed in Botan’s mind. 

“You made the right decision.”

Kamdale nodded his approval. Daveth patted him on the back. Botan straightened in his saddle but kept his head lowered. The group sped up their horses and soon reached the intersection the shaman mentioned. Without a pause, Kamdale led them to the west. 

After a half-hour of hard riding, Kamdale motioned Botan to ride alongside him.

“Once we see the demons, don’t hesitate to attack,” his mentor said. “I will be able to recognize them at a glance and tell you. Don’t let their human appearance dissuade you. I can guarantee they aren’t human.”

Botan shifted in his saddle. Despite agreeing with Kamdale earlier, something about his words made the apprentice want to argue.

“How do you know-” Botan began but sputtered after seeing the demoniclast’s piercing gaze. However, since he started, he couldn’t stop himself. “-that they are demons? What if they are people under demonic possession?”

If they were possessed, they should help them, not kill them. It would be best to restrain and transport them to a shaman. Shamans were better than demoniclasts for delicate work like demonic possession. In Botan’s mind, demoniclasts were the frontline soldiers, while shamans were more like medics. Something like demonic possession couldn’t be beaten out of a person; it required potions and spells. 

“When they’re killed, they disappear like demons,” Kamdale answered curtly. “Soon enough, you’ll be able to tell.”

Botan shrunk under Kamdale’s furious eyes. Another question bubbled to Botan’s mind, but his mentor’s anger suppressed him from voicing it. 

Isn’t that unfair? We can only know if they were a demon after they’re dead? 

Picking at a loose stitch on his saddle, Botan kept his mouth shut. His horse slowed to trail behind Kamdale. Looking out over the rolling hills of swaying grass almost made him feel seasick. 

That’s right, Botan reflected. Indrek and Frey are former shaman apprentices. Maybe that’s why they don’t believe Kamdale. They might understand this kind of thing better.

When he was younger, Botan had tried to become a shaman apprentice. He admired shamans but found their work boring. Botan had no patience for memorizing how to make ‘fancy juices,’ as he called them. While he mocked them at the time, now he respected their knowledge. 

For the next two hours, Botan restlessly watched for any sign of people or demons. His horse let out a sigh as he adjusted his seat again. After days in the saddle, Botan’s bottom was sore. He wanted to dismount and use his legs, but they were moving too fast for him to walk.

“Kamdale, over there,” Daveth said suddenly, pointing.

Botan followed his finger but saw nothing. Kamdale, on the other hand, grinned.

“Let’s go see.”

They moved off the road. The horses took the opportunity to snatch clumps of tall grass as they were urged forward. Kamdale, Daveth, and Meng all stared in the same direction at something. Botan squinted his eyes. Nothing in the golden grass ahead of them caught his attention.

The three demoniclasts stopped their horses and dismounted. Botan followed suit. He touched his new sword at his side. 

“It’s an entrance,” Kamdale said, reaching out into the empty air. “Let’s wait here.”

Botan glanced at Daveth and Meng. They nodded in agreement with serious expressions. Botan scrutinized the spot Kamdale stood. 

“There’s an entrance?” Botan asked, still not seeing anything.

“Yes,” Kamdale replied. “This is where the demons will come out. We will ambush them.”

Botan frowned, “How do you know-”

Suddenly someone laughed. The four exchanged glances. It wasn’t any of them. The unfamiliar person continued, “Is it an ambush if you’ve already fallen into a trap?”

4