Chapter 66 – Recurring video game boss
1.8k 27 86
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The elite have spent a lot of money spreading anti-gun propaganda among the masses, claiming that swords are nobler, better weapons for monster hunting, while guns are vilified as dishonorable weapons used by criminals. However, if one were to gather private gun ownership statistics, wealthy nobles and their staff would emerge as one of the biggest buyers.

―Ballistic Magazine editorial

Asteria

The girls and I changed into pretty pastel sundresses and went to welcome the others back on board.

“I thought you’d all be stinking of cheap beer when you returned,” I said to them as they came on board the elegant main saloon. I’d asked the staff to draw the curtains because the sunlight was a little too bright for me.

“I’m a teetotaler,” said Ravn.

“Figures,” said Israfel. “I’m in the biggest party town in the south but my two companions don’t want to drink. The bars here are legendary.”

“Really? I’d love to go tonight,” I said. “Sofia? Katja?”

“Yes!” said Katja.

“Why not?” That was from Sofia. I’d thought a priestess would be a teetotaler, but she was fine with social drinking, though it was forbidden for her to overindulge.

“Let’s all go,” said Ravn.

“You don’t drink!” said Israfel.

“There’s non-alcoholic beer,” said Ravn.

Israfel made a fake gagging noise. That was when we heard the sound of an approaching helicopter. Unlike the others that had been coming and going all day long, this one sounded close. The sound became louder and I realized that it was landing on the yacht’s helipad.

Sofia’s face fell, and she moved a little closer to Oren while the others tensed up and looked apprehensive. It didn’t take a genius to figure out who it was. Sure enough, moments later, a Lifer went down to us and said Magnus Kraej wanted to see Oren.

“Good luck,” I said to Oren. He didn’t look happy at all.

After Oren left, the crew made us drinks while we waited for Oren and Magnus to finish speaking.

“What do you think they’re talking about?” Sofia asked Katja.

Katja hesitated then said, “Magnus Kraej probably knows what Oren’s looking for. They say the Kraej’s secret spies know everything about everyone.”

“Yes, and we’re right here in his yacht. How convenient,” said Israfel. He shot me a pointed look.

“Leave her alone!” said Sofia. “You agreed to come, too. Besides, even if we weren’t here, Kraej would still be able to find us.”

“Funny that the Kraej soldier is always pointing fingers at someone,” said Ravn. “You’re the one who’s always sneaking away to make secret long-distance phone calls.”

“What?” Israfel frowned. “I’m just calling my girlfriend.”

“The girlfriend no one’s ever seen. The one you say was with you in Varde, but the hotel staff said you were alone,” said Ravn.

I remembered that in an interview, one of the “Tales of Vesterland” writers had said that Ravn eventually got a job as a private investigator.

“She likes her privacy and doesn’t like being seen by other people!” said Israfel.

“Uh, guys, don’t quarrel when Magnus is here.” I gestured at the crew member who was busy preparing drinks at the bar. Israfel and Ravn quieted down.

Come to think of it, it was strange that Israfel was suddenly suspicious of me when he’d always acted friendly. What could have changed? He’d been a heroic character in the games but the plot had changed from the one in “Tales of Vesterland.” However, I found it hard to believe that the brave, tragic Israfel in the games could do anything underhanded.

We all looked up when we heard people coming down the stairs from the upper deck. Oren and a Lifer came towards us. The Lifer told me that I was wanted in the sky lounge.

“Okay, I’ll be there in a moment,” I said.

Oren’s hair was messed up as though he’d been running his hand through his spiky bangs. There was a tension around his mouth that hadn’t been there before he went to see Magnus.

“I’ve got good news,” said Oren. “Magnus said we can use the submarine to search for the cause of the monster waves. He’s had the submarine team scouring the Eastern Kraej Ocean looking for it for weeks.”

“Did he find anything?” asked Sofia.

“They didn’t find anything out of place, but they don’t really know what they’re looking for, do they? I told him that you’re the only one who knows the signs.”

“What’s the deal then?” asked Katja.

“We use the submarine to get rid of the threat and Kraej gives me information about my family.”

Ravn whistled loudly. “So the bast-”

Katja coughed and looked meaningfully at the Lifer who was still waiting for me to accompany him to see Magnus.

“So he knows,” said Ravn.

“Of course, he knows. Who would believe him if he said he didn’t know?” Oren shook his head and nudged me a little towards the Lifer.

“I’ll be back! Don’t eat all the candy,” I said.

The sky lounge had two large leather sofas. Magnus was seated in one, looking out into the sea. He rose and shook my hand when I entered. “Asteria, how have you been?”

“I’ve been enjoying myself. This is a nice yacht you have here,” I said.

“I wish I could use her more often,” said Magnus. “I wanted to see you to say hello and ask if you need anything.”

To my surprise, he gestured for the Lifers to leave.

“No, I don’t need anything. I’m alright,” I said.

The bright light reflected from the sea made Magnus’ hazel eyes brighter than they were indoors. It gave me a creepy feeling when he slowly examined me from head to foot. “Are you really? Did you quarrel with Seraph? He’s been exceedingly foul-tempered lately, and you’ve been gallivanting around the continent alone.”

“I like the word ‘gallivanting,’ but I prefer to call it ‘flitting around from place to place.’ Like a butterfly, you know.”

“Why would butter fly?”

Oops, butterflies must not exist here. “It’s what I call those insects with butter-yellow wings.”

“Call me if you need help with Seraph.”

I laughed. “What could you even do?”

“You might be surprised. It’s true that Seraph is a great EL. I’d hate to lose him, but you’d be very, very wrong if you think he’s untouchable,” said Magnus. He leaned back and picked up his drink from the coffee table. “I have to return to the city in a few minutes. Tell me now if you need anything.”

I pondered Magnus’ ominous words. It was true that, despite the Iah virus, I’d always thought of Seraphiel as the world’s greatest warrior. It was hard to think of anything short of the virus that could hurt him. Even in the game, he’d never really died. He was the type of boss who always came back stronger than before.

But in reality, Seraphiel was flesh and blood. He could be hurt or even die. The monster wave had made me acutely aware of the fact that none of us were invulnerable.

“I don’t need anything right now, but I’ll call you if I need help, okay?” I said.

Magnus finished his drink and got up. He must be leaving now. I got up, too.

“Wait. Stand there.” Magnus pointed to a place in front of the sky lounge’s sliding doors. “Right there, yes.”

“Huh? What is it?” I asked.

Magnus’ lips twitched. “Are you aware that your dress is transparent in bright light?”

“What?” I turned towards the light and lifted my arm. It was true. I could see my arm through my dress because of the sunlight streaming through the glass doors. “Eh, it’s fine. My underwear covers more than Katja’s bikini does.”

Magnus cleared his throat. “Your, ah, underwear is also transparent in strong light.”

I screamed and dove behind the curtains. “You pervert!”

Magnus laughed and disappeared into the stateroom behind the lounge. I wondered if the light falling on the sofa was strong enough for him to see through my underwear. Was that why he’d made the Lifers leave earlier? I’d never spoken to him alone before. Magnus reappeared with a bathrobe in his hand. I snatched it from him and put it on.

“I’ll remember this, Kraej!” I said. Magnus’ laughter followed behind me as I fled downstairs to my room on the lower deck.

It's okay, all Magnus saw was...

Spoiler

everything!

[collapse]

I Will Save the Villain on amazon

My first book is now available on Amazon.

Early access chapters are available for as little as $1 on my Patreon.

  • I hope Asteria has learned her lesson: those floaty summer dresses are quite thin and are often transparent in bright light! Same thing with the underwear.
  • Oren spoke with Magnus alone so Asteria doesn't know what they said.
  • Clarification: The Iah spawn were mini-bosses in the game. They weren't particularly hard. The actual boss fights were with Sariel and Seraphiel.
  • Please let me know if there are any errors.
  • Thanks for reading!

What's the deal with Israfel's gf? (You can chose more than one answer)
  • She lives in Canada! (aka she's imaginary) Votes: 33 14.5%
  • Nothing. It's exactly as Israfel said. Votes: 50 21.9%
  • She's the last boss. Votes: 59 25.9%
  • It's okay, don't panic, she's just a fetch quest giver. Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Israfel has multiple personality disorder. He is the gf. Votes: 53 23.2%
  • It takes one to know one: she's stalking Israfel so she noticed Asteria's stalking! Votes: 97 42.5%
  • The slimes got to her, or she's a slime herself. Votes: 21 9.2%
  • She's been helping them behind the scenes. Votes: 41 18.0%
  • There's an angel, so there has to a demon. Votes: 70 30.7%
  • Other (please leave a comment) Votes: 6 2.6%
Total voters: 228
86