Chapter 5: The Soldier and the Father
2.4k 10 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Timon Denzel would have killed the assembly guests and fatally wounded the Crown Prince of Athesia if he had continued to do his work. Not only that it would provoke the Emperor into action, it would mean that the war would resume.

Four years of war, and another three years to quell a rebellion. He was a man determined to pay the ultimate price if it means that his daughter would survive. Nevertheless, the daughter would soon follow the father.

Everyone has their own Archimedean Point. Mavin felt lucky this time, but he was not sure how he would have handled if it was not for the memories and the documents he had seen in his bedroom. He didn’t hesitate to use this leverage to control the direction that Timon Denzel wanted to go. Find his weakness, use that weakness to steer him.

“He’s giving us a lot of information,” Old Tom snapped his jaw to place. “Other than the head of the snake, he had given every Royalist in the City a name and a place. How did you find him?”

“I had prior information. I also asked a lot.”

“You have always been good at finding people. Even in the war.”

Mavin nodded. Old Tom folded his arms. “If it was me I would shoot him dead.”

“Easier to do, yes, but I want this man in Omevia. His expertise could be used to create something useful for Lazon.”

“He was planning to create a bomb, wasn’t it?”

“Yes, it was a mixture of chemicals and explosives combined with firing mechanisms from rifles to create a blast strong enough to implode the assembly. The explosion would target the foundations of the building and bring it down. He was planning to set up fire above the upper floor so when they go down the stairs, it would mean that they would trigger another explosion.”

“Detestable, but it will work within the panic. Son, they will be asking questions on where I got the list. Even though nothing has happened yet. It is a crime for this man to plot against the life of the Prince and the Ambassadors.”

“He’s just a puppet controlled with strings.  Did you find his daughter?”

“She’s in the hospital alright. We got her to move to one of the places we control in the city”

“Good. Once you confirm if the list is true, then make sure that the daughter is healed and I shall provide an escort to her personally to a train to Lazon.”

“You seem to forget that I rank higher than you, son.”

“Oh, forgive me, I was getting ahead of myself, Tom.”

“If this was the field and another army. I would have crossed you for insubordination. You’ll get no merit from this, son. Tell me, why would you want this man out of here?”

“Two things,” he raised his fingers. “He’s just misguided and desperate. The other thing is that I want someone like that in our factories instead of being buried six-foot under.”

“Your choice, but this is still a crime.”

“And obviously he’s not in our jurisdiction either, Tom. If people find out that a former chemist, artillery crew, and soldier belonging to the federation tried taking out the assembly alongside all the related parties. I can assure you that the negotiations will be broken down before everyone could gather. Things already tense as it is. No need to further complicate the issue. Besides, he’ll be useful for Omevia with his knowledge. He can repay me and I’ll get someone who could create improvised explosive bombs and create better weapons for us. So not getting any ‘merit’ is entirely wrong on your part.”

“Count Derrick won’t refuse you.”

“Cousin won’t. That’s why I plan to make sure things are taken care of.”

Old Tom glared at Timon behind the glass. “They have other ears here so it won’t be long until the Crown Prince hears of this. The other parties will hear this too. We can make use of this and gain leverage in our negotiations. I hate to admit it, but bringing that bastard alive is more beneficial to us.”

Old Tom turned away. His face filled with doggedness. Tom wasn’t pleased with the capture of Timon. He would rather have Timon in the gallows, but Mavin had persuaded Old Tom to let him handle this trouble. Thankfully, Timon confessed, told, and explained what he knew of the Royalists Conspiracy that was trying to resume the war. He had explained that the Royalists wanted their ‘resolve’ to defeat the enemies of the Empire to be shown. Of course these same Royalists are nothing more than opportunists who want to continue the war for their own sake. Not only are the people Timon listed are part of families that own ammunition factories and gunsmiths, they were also pro-imperial factions who wanted to return their lands to the Empire after the Federation took their properties. They thought that if the war continues, then they are able produce weapons and ammunition for the war, gaining them profit, and at the same time show their determination to the Empire to become part of the Hundred Nobles again.

It was a plan that benefitted them. Nevertheless, the plan would cause death and destruction, forcing good young men to fight in the field again. No one wanted to return to those trenches. No one wanted to live in the dugouts. No one wanted to experience that five-year hell ever again. Mavin knew that he only removed the main cause of the dissolution. However, can he be sure that there aren’t others like Timon? He would love to call the Royalists as stupid bastards who should be thrown into a mental asylum, but he won’t deny that they had the secrecy and the money to fund their schemes.

He only knew the information in those text boxes and the illustrations that he could vaguely remember. Even the first few names that he had heard from Timon didn’t ring any bells.

 


 

Timon found himself surprised by how things went. Should I be happy that I don’t have to make myself a monster? What about Ava, my daughter, why am I so weak?

The door opened. He saw the man he had met a day ago. This man who appeared like a ghost behind his back. He hadn’t heard anything other than the barrel of his pistol. He thought it was over, but he thought he could get away with what he knew when the man didn’t shoot.

But the man knew his weakness. He had been careless about the documents he laid on the table and it led to this man deducing what he was weak at. He didn’t understand why in the face of a barrel of a gun. He had given up.

“Looks like you’re doing well.”

The Second Lieutenant folded his arms. His blue-gray eyes showed emotion. It was better than the last time he stared at this Ghost’s eyes.

“I am doing well.”

He quieted. Timon didn’t know what to say or tell. Now that he had given everything he had. What was the use for him? Those thoughts were in his head. He felt weak. He just wanted to take off this weight pressed on his shoulders.

“We transferred your daughter to another hospital. She seemed to be suffering from coughing fits. What is it?”

“The Doctors said that it was Pulmonary. They have been feeding my good daughter with those medicines. She had a white skin you know? Now she looks like she has lemon skin. I heard that her mother had that. She was just six seven years ago, and although I had enough wealth to buy medicine for her. It was not enough. I was a chemist, and I had to sell some of the lands of my father to get her treatment.”

“Do you know where she got it?”

“Her mother had always had weak lungs. I didn’t even know it until they released those gas two weeks after the war started. She must have caught it while we were trying to run away. I was still young enough to man the guns in the city, so I had to be separated from them, you know? From the letters, all I know was that my daughter was in pain. I had the Doctors checked on her, but with the war going on. There was no one to look after her. I had to hire a nurse to her side. The medicine cost was too much during war time. My wife had to sell her jewelry and items.”

He gave a hollow laugh. Timon noticed that the Ghost only listened.

“I was fighting outside of the city. They told me that we would be defending from the Empire. Time to time again, I was told to man the cannons. I had to do it. If I let the Imperial Forces come, then what would happen to my daughter and my wife? I thought to myself that as long as I was alive. I would keep on fighting. I kept on sending money and although I had properties. There were no buyers. I had to sell some of them and even those that I tried to sell become collateral for the anticoagulant medicine that my daughter had to take. I was not afraid of the shelling. My heart and mind was on them.”

He held his head.

“But…one of those Imperial Shells manage to hit the places in South Town. Then they keep on sending shell after shell on the artillery emplacement placed there. I usually manage to see my wife when I am not manning the howitzers. I waited for hours, but she didn’t return home. I had heard from her friends that she went to the pawn shop in South town to sell more of her items. Do you know where I found her? In one of those shell holes with her torso separated from her lower half. Holding on to a purse of bills meant for our daughter. Why her? I keep asking why she was hit. I wanted to curse. I wanted to scream and rip my heart out. But how could I do that when she wasn’t the only one who died that day?”

He laughed as if he was amused by some joke.

“They placed a slab of stone near my house. My wife’s name is one of those. Every day I would light the candles. Do you know why I was able to keep on manning the guns, Sir? Because I don’t want to lose the city. For five years I had to beg and squander money. All the wealth that my ancestor had accumulated was wasted because of an expensive medicine that is manufactured in Holmia. Many of my friends died fighting. We didn’t let a single goddamn Imperial Soldier in the city. We keep on fighting because we had something dear to us that was worth more than her life. I had to survive because of my daughter. I was relying on my pay to keep her alive and some contrabands I sneak out. I could always use the ration given by the government for my meal to save money. All that I had was to keep my daughter alive. But as the war grew worse, with millions dead, and the foreigners that usually carried the medicine retreating from the continent. I had to rely on smugglers to get the medicine. Do you know how much they ask? Four times the original amount and it doesn’t include the shipping cost. But I had to pay it for her. I had to do it. She was my light, Sir.  How could I give up and give in when she keeps fighting on despite the war and her sickness. Seven years in that hospital. Seven fucking years my little girl had to grow up on that fucking room.”

He grabbed hold of his hair. “She was eight when she asked where her mum went. I rather had been shot by a bullet than tell her that her mum passed away, but I still did. Do you know what she told me, Sir? That she wouldn’t cry because she was a big girl. If she cries…then it will make me sad. Isn’t it funny?  That my little girl can be so strong while her dad acts so weak.”

The Second Lieutenant was confused.

“Why do it then? Why even do this?”

“Sir, have you seen this city? For five years we held the line. Brothers and Sisters of Flost died to keep the Empire out of our city. Do you know what they did? They let you all in as if it was nothing! As if all that died that day were nothing more than a pebble! Tell me, Sir. If the Commander of the forces that was responsible for the death of your wife comes inside your city and you can do nothing about it? What would you do?”

The Ghost didn’t answer.

“That bastard just strutted right in as if it was his new home. He wasn’t grinning and he had a grim look on his face. And it pissed me off. I wanted him to be some smug bastard who would laugh at our city. That way I wouldn’t be blamed for putting a bullet inside his head. I wasn’t even given a chance. Tell me, if the nation that you fought so hard for, suddenly invited your enemies. How would you feel? What about the lives that were given to the defense of this city?”

“I still don’t understand why you would join the Royalists.”

“Because they recalled that I had noble blood flowing in my veins. My grandfather was part of the Hundred Nobles and only because of the Lord above him that made my father follow the federation. Either we join or we get beheaded. There was no much choice to be had. The moment they let the Imperials in. I know that I couldn’t fight for what they were fighting again. I wouldn’t have any drive to pretend that I like them. I couldn’t stand it, Sir.”

He couldn’t stomach the city who had let their enemies in. Timon couldn’t even put his anger on them. He couldn’t muster that anger.

“So do you want revenge?”

“Revenge?” he laughed loudly. “Will killing a hundred soldiers from the Empire turn back time? Will that bring my wife back? Will taking a hundred heads pay for my daughter’s medicine? Will that cure her? Sir, when I looked at the lads coming in the city that day. I felt nothing other than it was bullshit. One of them doesn’t even have hair growing on their chins. I am not a fucking monster, Sir. I never wanted revenge. I don’t want revenge. I feel betrayed by my state. I feel insulted that they let our enemies in. But I wasn’t going to be some bastard who’d fire on young lads like that when there’s no need to.”

He had thought about it. There were many who had about taking revenge. There were times where he couldn’t stop himself from joining mobs to beat up imperial soldiers. But he grew tired of it. He didn’t want to go to his daughter and let her find out that her dear old dad had been beating up young kids. He was glad that the war was over, he really was. But that meant that he had no way of using the pretense of war to earn money by selling contrabands. Those contrabands he was smuggling out of the city was his only hope. With the arrival of the Empire, the Noradians, and the Frans on their city-state for negotiations. The security of the city became harder and smuggling in the city became a dangerous way of making money. He was able to get money by returning to his old chemist job. But that wasn’t enough to cover the expense needed for his daughter’s medicine.

So when the Royalist came to his door knocking, asking for his help in making a bomb that would cause the treaty to be dissolved. He hesitated. If he was able to create the bomb, then he would be able earn a fortune and get out of this city. The fortune they were offering was large enough to tempt him. He didn’t care for the money itself. But the thought of that money curing his daughter was a chance he couldn’t miss. Even if it means damning his soul to hell. Even if it means millions would need to die because of his creation. Then he would do it for his daughter.

He had accepted it because he had no other way. He still had access to the armory because he was still part of the artillery crew of the city. He also had access to chemicals that he would need to concoct the ingredients he needed to make the bomb.  Two months ago, he had started the project by examining the assembly that will be used. Noting the weak structures, he devised a bomb capable of bringing down the entire roof of the assembly down on any ambassadors and officials present in the signing of the treaty.

He thought that he just had to make it. But the idea that he would be the cause of many deaths. But as weeks passed alone in his basement. When the bills came in and he was running out of time to procure medicine for his daughter and the interests of his loans kept piling up. He had to do it. He had to keep on going for her sake. He couldn’t even show his face to her good daughter.

He had let his weakness tempt him. If the Second Lieutenant didn’t find him working on a bomb two days ago, he was sure that he would keep on going. He would have kept on making that bomb until he could use it to blow up the assembly and restart the war.

For his daughter, he could become a monster.

At least that’s what he was telling himself.

The Second Lieutenant listened quietly. Timon was glad that he didn’t insult. He didn’t degrade him. He didn’t tell him that he was some monster. Timon wasn’t sure if he sympathized with him or not. But he knew that he didn’t judge him. If he had started talking about pity or reasoning out to think of what he was doing. He would have ignored him and never speak again.

“I see,” that's all he said.  “Your daughter is now thirteen isn’t she?”

“Yes.”

“I won’t tell you that you are wrong for doing so. Everyone has their own reason and to judge you as good or evil. To label you as a madman wouldn’t do us good. This war started because good men didn’t drag their chairs in front of another and just talked. They talked about concepts such as freedom of the masses while throwing the same masses they wanted to be free from to the field of battle. To simplify it would be pointless. There are many reasons that a war can start, and if it was necessary. In my point of view, the  three allies were the bad guys who attacked first. When the Empire started to fight back and win. You call us monsters. And we call you the same. Millions have died because of the three alliances. Millions of young men and innocent civilians dying by shelling or gas. What was the point of it? Who would benefit from it? But do you know what they always replied to me when I asked the soldiers, ‘what was the reason you fought for?’ and almost everyone had answered that they wanted to protect their family and homeland. There are those who did it for honor and there are those who did it for the sake of the fighting. How many of those cannons you operated had killed? How many people had you shot down? One death is just murder, and many is just numbers.”

He said without tone. His voice was so low that it gave Timon a chill on his back.

“This treaty is said to be shallow. It is merely a treaty that would allow the nations involve and their wounds to heal. It was a fragile peace that might shatter even without a bomb to stop it from being signed. Even if we did nothing to stop it. There are many factors that could change the situation. There would be countless if’s that could disrupt the talks. Do you know what they say about your confession? My superior officer thinks that I should have shot you on the back. The rest of the officers here said that you have committed a grave crime. That I should drag you in front of the Prince itself and have you beg for your life. But listening to you now? I don’t think you will act at all. Timon, you made yourself think that you can become a monster. I believe that you could be as well.”

He leaned forward. “Do you know what they said to me if you didn’t confess?”

“W-what?”

“They said to me that I should drag your daughter here and point a gun to her head and make her beg for you to confess whatever it is you know of the Royalists.”

Timon’s eyes dilated.  “You wouldn’t do it right!?” his jaws shook. “Please, no, no, I have told you everything that I know. Don’t involve my daughter in this!”

“I won’t. So go back to your chair, Timon.”

Timon nodded his head repeatedly. His heart pounded and many thoughts churned his head as he listened to the Second Lieutenant with utmost fear in his heart.

“You daughter has been in that hospital for too long. She had befriended the staff and in their spare time she had been tutored. They say that Ava Denzel had a big heart for someone so young. She likes watching the young orphans that are adjacent to the hospital. So it was hard to separate her from the hospital. She must have been worried when suddenly the Imperial Forces took her. It was the second home she knew.”

“It was fortunate that you cooperated, Timon. There are people here that are willing to become a monster if it means that they would be able send the lads back home. Your daughter could have been punished just because she is your daughter.”

“I-“

“You were cornered. You were forced to this because none of the methods you knew were no longer working. I don’t dare to say that I fully understand where you are coming from. This is the choice that you have made after doing everything you can to keep your daughter alive. In a way, I respect you for trying your hardest even though I do not agree with the path you have chosen. Do you know why I didn’t shoot you?”

Timon looked up.

“You looked desperate for a way out. If I didn’t bring up that doll and that ring to remind whatever it is left inside of you. And you didn’t give a single shit to those items. I would have done the job. But you cared. You looked tired and you found an excuse to stop. Didn’t you?”

“Yes,” Timon said weakly. He was like an open book to this man. He found himself unable to be subtle or speak riddles. He was tired. And he was willing to listen and understand.

“I fought for five years in the field without rest. I had been dodging bullets and artillery for years that I should have become a piece of shit. There are days in the trenches that I wanted it to end. Anyone who could say that he hadn’t had thoughts for it all to be over is a big fucking liar. In those five years I killed as I was told to. Even after the war ended, I had to go places to tell grieving mothers and widows about the fate of their beloved. I saw them lash out and demand them to bring their son back. I didn’t mind being hit. Hell, sometimes I think it’s still the worst job that I have taken. Surviving the war is a feat enough, and I stand by that belief. No one can get lucky twice and the thought of someone trying to restart that hell makes me want to tear them apart.”

His eyes became still after he said that.

Timon trembled. The Second Lieutenant had a tranquil fury. It was a calm anger that made him feel like a weak mouse in front of him. Timon couldn’t look the Ghost in the eye, fearing that he would be haunted.

“I don’t blame you for what you did. I am not irrational enough to put all the blame on someone who was clinging to his last straw. It is easy to pull the trigger, but to understand someone is harder and it takes time. Time that could have used to solve everything through the use of force. If anything, you got lucky, Timon. You really do.”

Timon looked down. “Why are you doing this?”

“I won’t lie to you. I am not helping you out purely for the sake of good will. Even if you were forced to do so. You still were trying to use your talents of yours to do a killing.. I want that same talent to be under my family in exchange for the safety of you and your daughter. I want your talents and expertise in our factories.”

Timon eyed him with disbelief. “You want to recruit me?”

“Yes, and this isn’t a choice that you can make any longer. There are many who would want your head in a pike.”

“What about my daughter?”

“She will be transferred to a Hospital in the city of Sahus,” he stood up. “I am Mavin Tomas, a member of the Tomas Family. I assure you that as long as you put your talents to good use, then your daughter will be in good hands. Who knows? She might even pursue her talents and become a woman of medicine as well.”

“What about my daughter’s medicine then?”

“We’ve been in contact with foreign nations, Timon. A city in Holmia is currently the sister-city of the city of Jorvi. We can ask for the anticoagulant medicine among the supplies they carry using their planes.”

Timon smiled bitterly. “I see. It looks like I would still be making bombs for your people.”

“Yes. You need to repay me for this favor and considering that the bomb you have made in your basement has the potential to help Lazon defend itself. I won’t mind taking you in and giving you a chance.”

“What about the Royalists?”

“Them?” Mavin smiled dangerously. “It won’t be long until the Colonel informs and convinces four factions in the city to root them out and drag them out of the dark. If the Empire itself drags these Royalists out in the open where every member of the press could see and hear them. Everyone would think that the Empire is doing its best to make peace DESPITE the actions done against us by the three allied nations. The city of Flost would be painted with incompetence and they would have no choice but to cooperate unless they want the foreign nations to sympathize with the Empire alone.”

Timon didn’t know what to think. But among the people that would be ratted out. He would be the person to benefit from their fall. There was nothing to say or add. It was an offer that he would never dare to miss. He would be mad to let go of this chance.

“Let’s go.”

“Huh?”

Sir Mavin walked next to the door. “It won’t be long until they start forcing the rats out of their holes. I want you gone before they could blame you for anything. If possible I would like you to board a monoplane straight to Lazon, but the condition of your daughter doesn’t allow me to. So don’t just sit there and let’s go.”

Timon stood up and followed Mavin out of the building and into a car. He got in the car while still having a confused expression. He was lost. He didn’t know how to process all of this inside his head. He could only keep quiet as the Second Lieutenant drove the car to the hospital located in the upper district of the town. Getting out of the car, he followed the Second Lieutenant inside the lobby where he found a familiar pale-faced figure with a large brim hat and pink lacy clothes. She wore a Prussian blue coat around her shoulder and held her luggage with her thin long arms. Seeing Timon, her daughter immediately walked up to him asking for questions. He couldn’t answer any of them as the Second Lieutenant dragged them back to the car and headed straight to the train station located in gloomcrossing.

“Father…what is happening?”

“I…I am sorry…my daughter. There are circumstances, I cannot explain at the moment.”

Her daughter was smart enough to know that something was up. She didn’t ask any question and held her father’s hand. She was young. So young and pale and sickly. If he had continued down his path. Would she even have anyone to support her? The time that it took for them to arrive in the train station was the longest moment of his life.

Timon tried to hold it in. But watching her daughter walk with strength.

He could only curse himself again for his weakness. And with that weakness came the truth. He had told her daughter why they needed to run away and where they were going. He had expected to be rejected. He wanted for her daughter to throw him away.

“I am sorry.”

“Huh?”

“I…made father turn to such a path…because of me you could have been,” body shaking sobs escape out of her daughter. She tried her best and yet instead words of comfort. The two could only hold on to another.

As they approach the train. Timon who couldn’t lift his head because of shame saw her daughter stand in front of the Second Lieutenant. The small back that could only suffer of her illness stood taller than a mountain in front of his eyes right now.

She has grown.

“Sir, I know that I have no right to ask you this…but please,” she bowed her head to him. “Make sure that the treaty goes smoothly!”

Mavin Tomas went down on knee and gave a smile to her. “You can leave it to me, young lady. So make sure that you take care of yourself and your father, okay?”

“I will!”

“Then that’s a promise.”

He held out a hand. Her daughter shook Sir Mavin’s hand.  Then he turned towards Timon. “Have a good trip, Timon Denzel. I hope that the next time we meet. You’d think twice of what you are willing to throw away.”

Timon didn’t know why. There was no need to do all of this for them.

There were no words he could find for him. And yet he could only reply, “Thank you,” as the train leaves the station.

He wondered though.

Why was that person more pleased than him?


Thank you for reading!

60