Chapter 174: Soon To Be Three
236 3 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Natalya found Mavin standing on the edge of the airship. His front pointed to the sky. There was a lonesome aura on him that seemed to separate him from everyone who was passing by.

The edges of his suit swayed with the wind. His suit was a little crumpled. The crew and soldiers of Lazon who were manning the deck of the airship would sometimes take a glimpse of Mavin. Little did Mavin know that the soldiers and crew looked at him with awe. The unaging Marcher Lord of Lazon, they call him.

Natalya walked to Mavin and stood on his left. The two stood together watching the clouds being pierced with the sunlight. Below the airship was the sea of clouds.

“I remember that you talked about flying a plane. Guess that dream has long been passed.”

“Oh, I did.”

Natalya smiled. She didn’t expect him to remember. She had gotten her own plane and although she has experienced being a pilot. She was able to fly now with the use of her sparks. It somewhat lessened her enjoyment, but it remained.

“You were so serious back then. Honestly, I was quite envious of you. To have such wonderful dreams.”

Mavin said so lonelily. There was a heavy tone in his voice. It was as if he was so exhausted in speaking. His shoulders were sagged and were not squared. His eyes half-opened. He looked so weakened that it bothered Natalya.

“What is wrong?”

“Nothing. I’m just thinking that despite how long has passed. Nothing changed for me. I’m still me, and in the end I really can’t run from being me. You know, I had a dream once of having a peaceful life. A family who I could spend time with. Not some killer. Not some fool acting like a villain to get what I want.”

Natalya held his arm. Mavin smiled stiffly at her.

“I hope ours doesn’t turn twisted.?”

Natalya’s mouth hung for a moment. She held Mavin’s arm with happiness. “Did you notice?”

Mavin nodded. “I have. Guess that’s why I feel like shit right now. It’s hateful really. What would the little child think? Parents being so villainous towards the world. Would they look at us as if we’re villains? Wouldn’t it be nicer if we are heroes to them?”

“You are thinking too much.”

“I am.”

He bit his lips. He was behaving as if he was going to fall over. Natalya went to his side and patted his back.

“Didn’t think that you’d show me this side of yours.”

She smiled sweetly. It was nice that he was showing weakness. It felt like she had somewhat gotten in his heart now. Even if she wasn’t carrying one. She was not so heartless to use the child to get to him.

“It’s nice that you see me as infallible. That nothing can break me. But you saw my state years ago, I’m surprised you’d want to be with me.”

Natalya wanted to say something, but went against saying it. She was willing to accept that there was strangeness in the way they got together. Not that she minded. She couldn’t care about how others viewed her twisted love. She had already decided that she won’t let go of the man who outmatched and humbled her.

“Let’s sit down.”

Natalya said and then signalled everyone to leave them be. No one dared to eavesdrop in them. Mavin sat cross-legged. He was sighing so heavily that his downhearted behavior was making her worry.

“Husband, what is up?”

“Just afraid of what may come. The sphere of merez and the artifact, once they make a conjunction, will have quite an effect. I will be holding the strongest artifact that would exist in our current time. I will not lie to you, there is a chance that it will break the sparks once again. In your case, you could live long enough to sustain yourself. Those who are part of your circle will remain young, but your lifespan will be reduced. That is the worst case scenario.”

“I can handle it.”

His lips curved down. He freed his hands and then balled it once.

“The effect of the conjunction might not be a problem, but there might be a chance that if something truly goes wrong. Then I will be killed by my work.”

Nataly’s face blackened at that. Her face stiffened and unconsciously she held his arms.

“You… is the ritual going to be that dangerous? If it is, tell me. Let me know.”

“I am confident in this ritual. But there might be complications.”

“Then don’t do it. I will not risk your life for this. No, I can agree with everything, but not this. You don’t get to decide on this easily.”

She held him harder.

“Mavin, we are a family, and although we’ve only spent so little time. You must share what you are pained with. After all, it wouldn’t be just us two.”

“Haha, that’s actually because we aren’t just going to be two that I am more afraid of than ever. People would call me a fool for worrying over things I have control of. But this is something that I can help do better. Yes, it’s safer to let it all happen, we have the food, the shelter, and even the technology to bear the burden. Lazon isn’t struggling. I am not shameless enough to think that having ‘conscience’ will spare me from doing what I am about to do. For goodness’s sake, I’m robbing people of their home to fulfill a problem that can help solve a bigger problem. No matter how you sugarcoat it, it’s still the same evil.”

Natalya sighed helplessly and pressed her husband’s head on her chest.

“Goodness, has someone ever told you that you carry so much burden on your shoulders? Then again, you always did try to do your best. I wouldn’t have lived extravagantly if it wasn’t for the foundations you laid.”

“You all talked about foundations when in truth I did nothing that noteworthy. I only did what I pleased and solved the problems that I saw coming. All I have is because there are talented people who have helped me.

“I am not trying to be righteous, Nat. I just want those who have given me so much to live in peace. That’s… the only dream that I have right now.”

Natalya wanted to say something, but she couldn’t speak it out. She just held him close. Her eyes filled with worry about this worrywart she was holding on to. At the same time there was a darkness that appeared in her eyes.

It was a darkness that even Mavin would have feared seeing in her.

11