Chapter 175: Determined
210 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

      Cecilia went to Natalya to try and persuade her again. It took her time to reach the airship because of the height. She was catching her breath as she entered Natalya’s office. Natalya was sitting with darkened eyes. The darkness in her eyes made Cecilia stop on her steps.

She was on a warpath.

Natalya stared at her meaningfully. Cecilia sat across the chair.

“I am here for that.”

“I know.”

Natalya tapped her finger twice on the desk. “How long have we known each other, Princess?”

“Fifty-years.”

“That’s right. Fifty years, and among the many things in this life. Among the people, you are one of the few that I couldn’t hate. I see things differently. I treat friendship as a sparse resource, and in these past few years. There are only a few that I keep. It has been years since the last of my family's side had died. I lost contact with them when my mother and father passed.

“I couldn’t love them. You asked me during our meeting in Holmia fifteen years ago. I asked you the same question as well, do you remember?”

“Why are you still so devoted?”

“I cannot answer that, no, would you even understand? Honestly, if you’d seen what I’d seen. You’d be a fool like me. People, they hurt you, they would maim you for things that they want. Considering everything, it makes me happy that we only had to hurt each other with so little.”

Her eyes flickered. The darkness that was in it deepened. Sorrow, sadness, and even anger was in Natalya’s eyes. Cecilia guarded herself, arms crossed.

“I will not be able to persuade you, aren’t I?”

“I would like to stop this ritual myself. If anything, I would like to lock him up right now and then make an exit. My husband is a foolish mind, obsessed with his own self-righteous goals. But without those goals he is nothing as well. He functions because there is something that needs to be done. I worry about him. And although lately I saw the spark in him that made him want to have a will to live. That same spark has died down lately, and all because of this problem with the volcano.”

Cecilia thought that she should listen. She leaned forward.

“He’s willing to risk his life again. For what? For the sake of you people? He’ll throw it away because he knows that it will harm the people he had made an oath to protect. He’s bound by this, like a curse.

“I’d prefer if he was the evil man that everyone thinks he is. A butcher who introduced that bomb to this world. But you know what bomb meant, and what it did. A weapon so destructive that instead of fighting we gather in a single room to talk instead of fight, knowing that doing so would spare us from the apocalypse that the Nullers saw.”

Cecilia held the armrest. It was hard to think about it, but there was truth to it. Although the world has become a bit peaceful because of the bomb. It didn’t mean that it eliminated small conflicts happening all over the world. It only meant that there were less bigger wars that could happen.

It was a cruel truth of the state of their world. And even now they were doing their best to wipe out an entire race for the sake of keeping the world at peace. Hate the demikin, for they are not human, the preachers would tell the populace.

The slaughter of the demikin.

“Do you understand me? Hey, Cecil, you’re one of my foes that I respect. If my husband wasn’t truly alive, and had years passed. I would have coveted you as well.”

“You are…”

“I’m sorry,” Natalya said. “My mood has become awful lately.”

“You are?”

“What do you think?”

Natalya leaned backward. “It’s strange… but then again it’s almost like a dream.”

“Then you’d be the few who will have a child in the future…”

“Isn’t it odd? That despite all our power, perhaps it’s because our regeneration factors are continuously stimulating our bodies that it makes some of us barren. It took a while, but I guess when both parties are loosened up, it will be far easier.”

“You are blessed.”

“Unfortunately, my husband is a suicidal fool.”

Natalya laughed tiredly. The darkness in her eyes remained. Cecilia felt uncomfortable. It hasn’t been long since she has taken this kind of tone. She was always neutral unless it concerned the state of affairs of Lazon. It was a business to her. And she had secluded herself unless it was necessary.

“This will cause this city to fall. The Old Seniors won’t allow this.”

“I know. A pity since despite my own allegiances. Haymouth is the center of the Magi. All aspirants would always head to this city in hopes that they can become Magi. Every book that exists about the existence of the Magi and the Sparks leads to Haymouth. Those who have blooms seek out the basin of Haymouth. That is the start of every dream. If this was a far earlier era, the threat of someone willing to drain the vitality of Haymouth would have been seen as a devil. A madman who wishes to make an enemy out of the Magi. Era comes and goes, and allegiances shift. Cecilia Athesia, tell your colleagues that although I have fondness for this city. If anything tries to stop my husband during the ritual and causes him harm, resulting in injury or death. I promise you that the anger of Lazon and its people will be unleashed upon the Magi and those who side with them. I will cripple the sparks myself if I have to.”

Cecilia nodded her head. It was funny that she came here with so many thoughts. She stood up and looked Natalya in the eyes.

“I will try to make them understand.”

“I am not asking for allegiances. Even if you fight back, it’s fine. You have righteous reasons to do so. I cannot blame the Magi for fighting back. What I am only trying to remind all of you is what will happen if you do intend to go down this path. I’m sorry that it has to be this way, Cecilia.”

“It’s fine,” Cecilia said.

Talk was useless to those who were truly determined.

10