Chapter 3 Yahoo!
2.8k 5 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

David spared a moment and made his way towards his computer. Even though the technology is not advanced compared to the future, it can still be useful for certain tasks.

After turning it on, David saw the familiar yet roughly designed Microsoft operating system. Looking through the program with curiosity, it was hard to believe that this was the predecessor of the future giant Windows operating system.

If he can recall correctly, later this year, a more familiar Windows 95 will be released, and the user experience will only improve and get better and better.

After playing with several installed software, David opened the internet browser and typed several links only to be disappointed with how many results he had gotten.

It seems like people and businesses aren't yet familiar with creating their own pages as currently, there was nothing he could recognize. It was as if the internet was devoid of users and information at this time.

Thinking about it, David stared at the screen for a moment before remembering something and typed a particular address.

They should have already started at this time, right?

There!

On the screen, David curiously ended up on a page called "Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web".

He had not used this page in his previous life though he had heard about it before, and seeing it personally was an entirely new experience.

Jerry and David. This was the predecessor of the giant company Yahoo. The beginning of an era for many internet users.

In the future, or at least until the dot-com bubble, Yahoo will become one of the biggest and most successful technology companies in the world!

Jerry Yang and David Filo, as long as someone was paying attention to business news, they would know who these people are.

These people are the two founders of Yahoo! At this current moment, they should still be in college working extremely hard on this webpage while being short of money!

Even if a person was not paying attention to the economic news or investments in the financial market, they still must have known about the beginning of a new era of the internet.

Everyone had many experiences about how the internet affected and changed how the world works and many things in our lives.

Yahoo started a different kind of internet evolution and can be said to be the biggest gold mine from the year 1995 to the year 2000.

At their peak, even just for a short span of time, their market capitalization exceeded $125 billion at its peak, making them the most valuable company in the world. Of course, that was only a short moment before the internet bubble burst.

Still, in David Frost's eyes, this company is like an undiscovered mine overflowing with diamonds! This is mountains of dollars before his eyes.

In fact, Yahoo at this time was not like the Yahoo in the future that everyone had experienced. At this stage, the famous Yahoo portal didn't exist yet. Now, it was more like a simple site directory, something that most people can easily make in the future.

Knowing this, David had a great idea.

Maybe there is a chance...

Another thing he saw on the computer was Netscape. Netscape should already be a large company and should be about to go public at this time.

Maybe David could not acquire shares of the company privately and be a part of it, but this company will fail and be acquired by AOL in the future anyway. Besides, taking advantage of their IPO in the stock market can still bring a lot of money.

And Yahoo has more potential than Netscape. Although their future development was also a big struggle before sliding off the world stage, Yahoo can be said to be the biggest player in the early years of the internet.

David can join the Yahoo train and collect all the benefits and get off at the right time before it crashes.

He has a clear idea about the reason why the bubble will burst anyway. As long as he is not greedy, he can save himself and earn some more as a "speculator."

This year will be when Jerry and David officially register their company Yahoo! and will receive its first investment several months later. This is where they met Michael Moritz of Sequoia Capital which funded them with an investment of about $2 million.

The two founders should have already felt the struggle of lack of money by now as they are only university students and would be delighted to hear an inquiry about some investment.

Looking through the Yahoo directory, David found that the page was still riddled with many problems, and there was still no specific strategy. Their webpage was like a draft, an experimental page.

Currently, the two founders should still not have the idea of making a portal framework. After all, scrolling through the simple webpage, it has no resemblance to the 'real' Yahoo.

Maybe he could trade the concept of portals for some equity if he can have the chance to meet them. After all, Yahoo was originally the first to put forward the idea of portals. Originally, but now, David can only borrow it and suggest it earlier.

However, he would need to hurry as there are many venture capital firms out there that are much larger and more informed than him. He would have to meet the two founders earlier before they officially accept financing.

David shut off the computer and went back to the living room. This is enough for now. He took out his mobile phone, looked through his contacts, and found the phone number of his lawyer Thomas.

Thomas is a very close friend and the lawyer of his parents. David had known him since he was a child. He was the one who fought hard to make their butler his guardian and handled all the paperwork left to him when his parents were caught in an accident.

They had built a good relationship with each other and, in the end, decided to continue working together.

Now, Thomas was working for him as his personal lawyer. Lawyers are one of the most important occupations in the United States. If you have a lot of money, they would be especially useful in making complicated things extremely simple.

Once the call connected, David adjusted himself in a comfortable position,

"Hello, Thomas."

"Hey, good morning David, what can I do for you?"

Hearing the warm tone on the other side of the phone, David imagined a picture of a forty-year-old man in a formal suit, meticulous hairstyle, eyes as deep as an ocean, an easy-going smile, and a relaxed face. His professionalism gives people peace of mind, like a capable person who is worthy of trust.

"I just had this idea for an investment."

"Hmm? What is it?"

"I was browsing the internet and saw this company called "Jerry and David's Guide to the World Wide Web," and I'm interested in it. What do you think? Is it possible I can invest in their company?"

"Oh yes, I know this website. I have seen it before. Oh my god, David, do you know what this company is? They should be based in Silicon Valley. These companies usually already have venture capitals waiting for them. David, I admit this may be a good idea, but this is a game of capital. You might not have a chance to play."

"Hey Thomas, how can you give up so easily! How can we know if we don't try? And trust me, it's worth the attempt! They have their contact information on their page. We can just make some inquiries. We won't lose anything if we fail."

Perhaps it was David’s attitude that made Thomas compromise, or perhaps he knew that David is stubborn and will never change his mind and will still do it himself even if he disagrees. Nevertheless, Thomas was pleased inside.

David had been quiet for some time, and maybe having a brand new goal in life was a first step in the right direction.

Also, chasing wealth is the nature of everyone and having ambition is always good. Thomas had known David since he was a little child, and it was good to see him try these kinds of ideas. Who made him look at David like he was his son?

"Then, leave it to me. I'll handle it."

When David heard the other person's words, he simply smiled, as expected, "Great Thomas! I'll leave it to you then."

Hanging up the phone, David shook his head and let out a laugh.

This is the world of money. If you have money, you are the king. As long as he is early enough, he will definitely win against other venture capitals.

Currently, he can still play with a few million in cash. For a small starting company, he is qualified enough.

"Now that this is done, what should I do for the rest of the day? Hmm, the original owner has a terrible clothing choice. How do you still have overalls? I'll have to throw it out and buy some actual good ones."

"First, I'll find someplace to eat. Maybe pizza today?"

 

 

New Chapter five times a week! (Except Tuesday and Wednesday)

 

43