Chapter 46 – A Bitter Development
6.3k 12 91
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lady Haise sat still against the wall, revealing a wry smile towards the blue plasma aimed at her, she dropped the knife. Despite acquiescing, the elder portrayed no looks of defeat! Sure, I had no intention of killing her. For now, at least. Why should I have to spare someone who constantly tries to murder me?

 

“Haha, I never thought a monster would try to threaten me to cooperate,”

 

What an extreme mood swing. At least bloodshed was mostly avoided this time. I’d be able to leave this village eventually without causing too much commotion. I really need to get my thoughts in order after this.

 

“Have you even talked to one before?”

 

“Yes”

 

“Exac-“

 

Huh? There were more cases like me? I guess there was no exception when it came to demi-humans being able to utilize mana. Though I didn’t expect there to be other human looking monsters like me.

 

“You met monsters who posed as demi-humans?”

 

This was completely off-topic, but my curiosity got the better of me. It was already difficult to conceal the visible surprise on my face.

 

“I have indeed, though they weren’t as civil as the one I’m staring at.”

 

Hmpf. Still not recognized properly as an individual.

 

“If it wasn’t for your little brawl, you might have passed undetected. Normally the beasts can only speak a few words to come closer to their prey.”

 

“I see. Though I’d extremely appreciate it if you could count me as an exception for the next time around.”

 

“Very well. however, Don’t take your time leaving.”

 

I squeezed my palm into a knuckle. Was it this hard to be treated as a normal person? The similarities of demons and demi-humans should be difficult to distinguish so why can't I just be recognized as the former? Will I be eternally looked down upon for being supposedly unable to use mana or be seen as a constant threat?

 

*crack*

Well, the opportunity for a leisurely life is lost here. It’d be ideal if I could go to a demon city while shifting my horns to match to the current standard of the demonic race. How many times will I have to start a fresh new leaf until the ideal life is achieved?

 

“W-will you l-l-let go?”

 

Huh?

 

Where was the pleading voice coming from? Opening my currently closed eyes, I saw a rather frightened Lady Haise floating?

 

No.

With an iron grip, I was holding her up while it was burning. Immediately releasing the grip, the once confident elder slumped to the floor. There were a few burn marks, but it seemed as if the grip itself hurt more than the actual fire. The event caused me to feel slightly hollow, but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t feel any sort of genuine remorse.

She did already try to kill me right. Why should I feel guilty? The elder was shaking.

This only happened once before with the guard. I really need to avoid these situations when getting into deep though, but first I should leave before this becomes a problem.

 

Facing the exit, I see an eye – shaking too – across the door crack.

91