Chapter 2
85 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I approached the edge, I've noticed the grass is getting taller. It's tall enough to easily hide me if I dive into the grass fields.

However, I stop and think for a moment... how ready am I to leave the forest?

After thinking, I realized I'm not familiar with these new lands.

"Can I even eat grass?..." I had a sudden impulsive idea, taking a bite of some grass...

It's... not... good...

I chew the grass a little longer and swallow it. I think it's still edible at least.

A thought pops up in my head that this grass should be good for my teeth?... hopefully that's true.

I shouldn't rush too much... so I made a quick burrow back near the forest's edge. Then after that, I came back to eat more bland tasting grass...

I'm quite certain I am unusual. My diet is more flexible than I thought... so I've climbed trees to also eat some leaves of various shapes, all being fresh and healthy.

The leaves taste just as bland as the grass but I'm getting used to the taste already.

It isn't unbearable but I am a bit excited thinking about human delicacies. My instincts are aware of meat but I've never had a chance to hunt for some.

All I've had for protein has been nuts or bugs for the most part.

Anyways, waiting out the day proved a day of experience. I am capable of eating leafy greens.

I need to keep planning... and so I went to sleep while having more thoughts.

I don't think I should simply wander into these grasslands. I'll wander around the forest's edge and find if there are any clearings.

If not any clearings, a road should suffice.

Passing the night and well rested, I venture the borders of these two lands, searching for any signs of humans.

It's mostly peaceful now. I don't really see goblins now but I occasionally smell traces of them.

After a few days of travel... I feel like I'm getting nowhere.

Just how big is this forest?... I don't think it's small enough to allow me to run around it in circles...

It's a bit safer on the edge now that I've noticed it... but there's less food too.

I can't find any fruits nor berries around the forest's edge.

Fortunately I'm getting by due to eating nuts and either leaves or grass.

I kinda miss eating berries though. I haven't found any of those in a while.

One night, safe in my burrow, I had to think again.

I've not seen any traces of humans just yet, but I don't need to rush.

If I think about it, trees are very useful. They should be a resource for humans.

I should probably keep around the edge until I find human activity...

If I can find a stump or many stumps... there should be humans or similar nearby.

Very well... I shall keep progressing slowly around the edge...

I fell asleep soon after confirming my situation.

Again after waking up, I give out a sigh and must patiently venture around the forest.

This forest is too big... I'm really getting a little annoyed by this.

The only convenience is with the lack of fruit, there's a lack of both creatures and carnivores.

I guess I should be thankful that my venture is more easy now.

Just as I was getting used to the peace, I've finally found an unusual stump.

I hurry over immediately and hop onto the top noticing it's flat...

Finally! Traces of humanoids!...

This tree didn't fall over, it was cut down.

It was a big tree judging by the countless circles I glanced over.

Excitedly, I started to look around more and saw more trees, some more stumps, realizing that the really young trees are left alone while some sprouts being planted.

I see... so these trees being cut down are also being planted in order to make up for what's cut down...

Rather than looking myself, I decided to make a burrow nearby and hide.

I'll wait for people to come passing by. Then I'll follow them.

Hopefully it shouldn't take too long... they should require many trees. This giant forest is perfect for lumbering.

I finished my burrow soon enough and got ready to wait.

I wonder who would I encounter first?

I took a look around but I find it impossible to find footprints in all this grass.

Maybe following the people might be risky if I can't see them. Would they be cautious of me since they can't see me?

I don't want to get suddenly attacked... maybe I should reveal myself before following them instead of sneakily following.

I took a nap but woke up soon as I heard something approaching.

I hurriedly poked my head out the burrow to look out and see what's happening outside.

I can see a group of people coming! It's real people! My tail is naturally wagging around now that I've found what I've been looking for.

From what I can see the small group of four should probably be a part of a family... two elderly brothers escorting a little sister and little brother.

It should be fine to approach these people! The only person holding arrows seems to be the girl in her teens.

They've definitely noticed me. I can tell they're looking at my direction since the other teenager exclaimed at my direction letting the others know.

Oh?... what are they saying? I can't understand their words, how unfortunate... learning a new language will be a hassle!...

The four seem to be surprised at encountering me!... delightful, I shall continue approaching them.

I take my time scurrying over to them as they seem confused at my carefree approach.

Before getting too close, I sit down right before them like a behaved pet would, now, aren't you impressed? This should definitely give them a good impression of me.

The youngest male seems to be excited and wants to hold me, he started to reach out and get to my level but instinctively I avoided him getting to the side and dodging his grasps.

Hold on there!... I'm not yet ready to just be held...

My wariness acted up but I can't help it I suppose... this is the first time I'm encountering humans anyways.

This time, the other one tries, she's squatting down and calls out to me with her palms exposed.

I don't mind so I approached her and willingly let her pick me up as she's surprised and excited once she got hold of me.

I seem to be really light, she got back up without any effort. I must weigh between five pounds or around three kilograms at most?...

I'm being held like a child, her hug is soft as I'm pressed near her neck.

I licked away instinctively like a puppy would.... it's tickling her as I can hear her laughing but I seem to be more an animal than a person now.

I hear more people approaching and stopped my licking to look over... I can see an elder sister accompanying some even younger kids and a pair of fatherly figure escorting them...

These people must have been on an outing of some kind. I suppose a group that's too big would cause too much attention so they split it up while keeping vision's range of the other group? Their system seems thoroughly safe in the case something happens.

They seem to be talking about me but I still don't know what's going on~ As far as I'm concerned I've already infiltrated this group of humans as their pet now!

5