C61 Opening breeze, fading flowers 8
1.5k 5 73
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We're keeping to the old schedule"! Fuck yeah! I hope you enjoy this next chapter, thanks for reading~

 

 

"So the summary is, Beryl's afraid of something happening to you two?"

 

Hatsumi asked, sitting across from Vaughn. The two were eating at a table within Brenton plaza, catching a bite as Hatsumi walked Vaughn home. In response to Hatsumi's question, Vaughn nodded to the side.

 

"That's… what I think. Kiyomi sees something different but she keeps her thoughts to herself. But-"

 

Vaughn looked down at the bowl of vegetables and meat, beef stew. His reflection is shown in the oily surface of the roast-beef juices.

 

"When the Bulette was attacking us, I caught glimpses of Beryl locking up. When we woke up, I didn't think much of the burn scars. They're not there anymore, but I remember’em. Those scars were from Beryl, I'm sure she's afraid of hurting us even worse. That could be holdin her back…"

 

Vaughn brought a brass spoon to the stew's surface, filling it before bringing it back to his lips. The child’s accent came out as the conversation drew further. Hatsumi continued listening, anticipating any further comments as Vaughn chewed his food. With a gulp, Vaughn sat the spoon back into the bowl. 

 

“Beryl tried usin magic back then… before we moved. I think she only knew mana control back then… she thought she could do somethin to stop it-”

 

Vaughn paused, his jaw visibly clenching. 

 

Why am I prodding him for answers? Vaughn experienced the same thing, I- I should stop this. 

 

“Vaughn, you don’t need to-”

 

Vaughn shook his head to the side as Hatsumi interrupted.

 

“I don’t know how ta think like them. But I wanna help… If talkin’s all I can do, I’ll do it. Either way, it's done. Beryl assumed wrong, but we’re kids. Beryl blames herself for not knowing how to fight and begged to learn the strongest magic she could. It was our luck that she could actually do it.”

Vaughn brought another spoonful to his mouth and swallowed.

 

“That's all I have, sorry, Miss Hatsumi.”

 

“Thank you, Vaughn. I’ll go talk to Kiyomi after I take you home. I’m sure Beryl is already with her parents.”

 

Hatsumi lowered a spoon of her own into a similar bowl of stew, eating now that she was satisfied with Vaughns's answers. While she felt she had a better grasp of the situation, her conscience bore on her in turn. 


"Where is it, where is it… Hmm- Ah there ya are!"

 

I grabbed onto the leather pouch stuffed in the back corner of my clothes drawer, shoving loose socks and other garments out of the way before pulling.

 

This should be enough to pay Mama's commission. I can't very well go alone, so I could pay the guild for Mama's time to go out for a day or two. But, I’m short for supplies.

 

Opening the pouch and pouring out its contents, I littered the top of the small dresser with a mix of coins and bits of monster parts, and rocks. I wasn't able to use them as direct currency, but the guild would exchange them, or merchants in town, even adventurers would readily buy them.

 

Something, something, used as materials for enchanting and making potions and stuff. All this should be just enough.

 

It was everything I'd managed to save instead of spending on food carts and materials for the baseball project. That and saving up for adventuring for the first time, Mother said before that her team would have sponsored us or whatever that meant.

 

The clerks should be able to work with this. I could take it down and get it converted while I wait for Mama… yeah let's go with that.

 

I carefully scooped up the contents, dropping them back into the bag. 

 

Maybe we should pay Auntie Avery a visit? 

 

The thought was a fleeting one, but it wouldn't hurt. If anything she might toss us some more monster parts, considering she hadn't seen me much after the Bulette attack.

 

I wanna feel bad, but we could use all the help we could get.

 

I tied the pouch off on my belt and headed for the front door; as I passed through the living room, I took a glimpse at the fractured skull of the bulette.

 

I don't know what happened, but at the least, I hope this works more than my last great idea… give Beryl some form of closure.

 

My thoughts drifted to Lucas for a moment, thinking of how I was helpless to save him.

 

I couldn't get it, I'll be damned if you're denied that too.

 

Opening the doors, the guild hall appeared to be dying down in activity. Teams were either getting their pay or the stragglers for the evening were setting off. A few groups sat and dined at the tables. Some familiar regulars, few new to the town. Even the team I'd met the other day, consisting of the Orc, Goblin, and human was present. Walking down the stairs, I could particularly hear the subject of their discussion, considering the Goblin was quick to raise his voice. 

 

Small man syndrome?

 

I thought to myself for a moment as I continued my walk to the carving counter where Avery could be working away at another monster carcass.

 

"Listen, Graf. It's bad, but work will come. Okay? We just have to wait for a quick job to show itself and the ball will roll from there."

 

The human, Adrian, spoke to the Goblin on an equal level now that they were seated around a table; granted, the Goblin was standing.

 

"You don't have to keep repeating it."

 

The Goblin stood, leaning on his arm as he looked to the table. He seemed weaker in spirit compared to last time as he twirled a gold coin.

 

"We can't take bigger jobs without supplies, so the only other thing is to look for local odd jobs tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll have something and not be stuck camping outside town again."

 

Graf said in a forlorn tone.

 

"We'll have work. It always evens itself out." 

 

That was the last I heard of the conversation as I passed, coming from Aleck. I could empathize with their situation though if only a little. Approaching the counter, one of the workers approached to check on me.

 

"Evenin, Ki-ki. Here for Avery?"

 

It was one of the part-timers they kept on rotation, a human named Michael. Apparently, some of his party had kids and he'd work here for a week and a half at a time between their contracts.

 

"Mhmm, hiya Michael."

 

"How's the sword swinging goin? That pa of yours teaching ya any good?"

 

Michael proceeded to make small talk, jokingly referring to Callum as my father.

 

"Hahah, everyone knows he's just some player."

 

I rolled my eyes, casually slandering who may as well have been my uncle.

 

"Hmmm, I dunnoooo. The guild staff is making bets, he's been toning down his philandering over the last year. And not everyone thinks it's 'cause of you."

 

I knew Callum was a player, but you all don't think he could get better on his own? Really?

 

I thought over how unfair it might've been for Callum, given I'd heard of virtually no more of his messing around. It's not like he ever went to other places either. He came home every night and even spent time with Mother and me from time to time. Outside of that, he was either in his forge or training me.

 

"Either way lil'miss, let me get your Aunt for ya."

 

Michael gave a two-fingered salute as he left the counter, walking over to Avery; apparently tunnel-visioned in her work. With a nudge to one of her legs with his boot, she looked to him. 

 

"Oh, Ki-ki?"

 

Avery craned her head towards her other workers.

 

"Y'all mind me taking a break, would you? Ki-ki's here."

 

With some waves and some laughs, Avery's workers took over dismantling what was left of the beast on their chopping block. 

 

"Heya, Ki-kiiiii~ Here to borrow money from your sugar auntie~?"

 

Avery asked in a strangely playful tone, leaning her upper body on the counter.

 

Please don't make me sound that bad… yes…

 

"How did you figure it out?"

 

I looked away, flustered that I was found out instantly.

 

"Ki-ki, if you don't seek me out first thing after breakfast, that's the next assumption. I know how much I've spoiled you."

 

Avery's tone moved to a pouting one as she made a poor attempt at appearing like a puppy. Even her virtually useless mandibles were trying to droop downward.

 

"Yeaaaah… "

 

I looked to the ground, feeling slightly worse for my imposed reliance.

 

"My answer will depend on what for Ki-ki. I'm just joshing. Unless you're gonna spend it on boys? Hmm?"

 

Avery asked mockingly.

 

"What? No!"

 

"Oh, so a girl? Do I need to throw my Ki-ki some pointers?"

 

"No!"

 

The sudden flat-out denial, although true in my eyes, was supposedly seen through. She was sporting a Cheshire smile that made me very uncomfortable.

 

Fucking tit-spider!

 

"Well, kinda…"

 

Leaning against the counter, I sulked at the partial accuracy of her assessment.

 

"Hahaaaah! I knew it! It's okay sweetie, I'm just teasing."

 

Avery wiped a tier from her eye as she caught her breath.

 

"Hatsumi let loose a little drunken gossip about you trying to help your friend. Sorry, just haven't got to tease you for a while."

 

" Hm hm."

 

I nodded to the side, thankful she wasn't going to continue pushing her jokes.

 

"So you'll help?"

 

Avery looked as though she was debating with herself internally. 

 

“Depends on what you intend to do. If you're asking for money to spend around town. That's a flat no, that wouldn't be responsible to you in the long run.”

 

Avery stood to her full height, placing her hands on her hips.

 

Shit, I really hope she doesn't shoot me down. 

 

“You get one shot.”

 

Please, please don't word this poorly. 

 

“I wanted to buy some of Mamma’s commission time and some supplies so she can take me to find a flower maybe a day from town.”

 

I did my best to word it as honestly as possible, pressing both of my pointer fingers to each other. 

 

Avery’s expression changed, shifting between a look of doubt and concern. Bringing her thumb to her chin, Avery looked to the side for a moment. Unlike the playful debate to build tension as before, she was surprisingly considering my plan; at least she made it seem like that. 

 

“You're wanting to do that, for a flower?”

 

I nodded.

 

“A flower for Beryl?”

 

Avery raised her brows as she asked, finally naming Beryl directly. 

 

“Can I ask why? That's a hell of a gesture.”

 

I shook my head at her request, it was something I doubt Beryl shared with anyone aside from me or Vaughn. She most definitely wouldn't like me to share that.

 

“It's personal.”

 

I answered with as straight a face I could give the usually spoiling aunt. 

 

“It's not cause you want to profess your undying love?”

 

I motioned for Avery to lean down at her last question, maintaining a straight face.

 

“Hmm? Oh, here.”

 

Avery leaned over the counter, coming closer as if she was anticipating me whispering something.


“Ow-ow-ow-ow- my mandible-le’ggo-le’ggo!”

 

I had one of her mandibles in an iron grip and began slowly pulling toward the floor, letting go as she begged.

 

“Sorry, sorry, that was Vaughn winning that right?-Ow-ow-ow!”

 

I reached back up and tugged down gently once more for her unnecessary comment.

 

“Please stop implying things Auntie, I know you like to Gossip. Leave me out of it.”

 

Avery pouted as she rubbed her right mandible. 

 

“No fun, Ki-ki. But you have a deal. You need to earn it back though, okay?”

 

“I can do that, when do I start?”

 

Avery raised a brow. 

 

“Kids these days are so fast to accept responsibilities, huh. Well, when you start adventuring… I want you to work with recovery teams. I’d figure, along with the labor that you’re worth given-.”

 

Avery flexed her bicep.

 

“- And, given the things you need to be prepared to see.”

 

Avery’s face was serious, surprisingly. 

 

“Prepared to see?”

 

I asked, innocently.

 

“People hurt in work.”

 

Avery’s tone was flat, and I doubt she thought I knew what she meant. 

 

If I were a child, I would take it innocently. But I know what you’re implying… body recovery. So moving the monster carcasses isn't your only job? That's why you drink so much?

 

I feigned not knowing what she meant.

 

“Sure thing! I’ll help pull people back like I helped Vaughn’s Pa!”

 

I mimicked her flex, acting ignorantly. Earning a dry smirk, Avery nodded; believing my innocence was unaffected. 

 

“One sec, Kiddo, I’ve been saving up a bit for ya anywho.”

 

“Thanks, Auntie…”


“I’m hooome.”

 

The loud click of the brass latches echoed throughout the home. It was around late afternoon by the time she’d gotten home, assured that Vaughn reached his house and greeted Greggor. 

 

I hope my decision to give you space, helped Kiyomi. I never got this far with Yui…

 

Hatsumi thought to chase Kiyomi down earlier but fought herself to remember that her daughter was a pre-teen at this point. There were certain cues she’d have to take that she wasn't used to. Hatsumi, for how strong she or others thought herself, was still heavily stressed by the day. Questioning Vaughn, taking on the risk of emotionally damaging Beryl, and abandoning her duty to console her daughter in her emotional state. 

 

She was actually angry, I don't think I’ve seen her visibly upset like that yet. 

 

Hatsumi walked further into the entryway, removing her book and some small pocketed items. She was just about to assume she was home alone, if not for the fact that there was the sudden opening of a door and the rapid repetition of footsteps getting louder from the hall. 

 

“Welcome home Mamma!”

 

Kiyomi came into view around the corner, already in her evening clothes. Hatsumi dropped to her knees, hoping her assumption was correct. With her gamble made, Kiyomi ran right into her arms and hugged her. 

 

Hmmm, I guess my decision was right. She’s calmed down and nowhere near as brooding as I’d feared~. Ah, the life-giving hugs of my daughter~.

 

With Kyiomi’s hug, Hatsumi felt a majority of her stress wash away. 

 

I at least did one thing correct today. 

 

Hatsumi smiled to herself before kissing the side of Kiyomi’s head and standing. 

 

She's way more of a Mamma’s girl.

 

“I’m sorry I didn't come right after you, how are you feeling?”

Hatsumi placed a hand on Kiyomi’s shoulder, walking alongside her as they headed to the room.

 

“I’m feeling better Mama. I just went to spend some time with Miss Lorn and talked to Auntie Avery.”

 

Kiyomi rattled off how her afternoon had been, seemingly unperturbed by her failed attempt at consolation. Her time with her teacher, visiting her Aunt, and eventually even said how she was embarrassed that she cried while she walked home. Surprisingly, she even thanked Hatsumi for leaving her to calm down. She was able to properly think apparently, the only thing she hadn't done was go to see Beryl and check on her.

 

It’s almost hard to believe this girl has nightmares the way she does… 

 

Hatsumi looked at the little girl in front of her, reassessing the child that had come into her life nearly two years prior.

 

I’m so proud of her~.

 

Hatsumi continued listening to her Daughter for what felt like an hour or two, chatting with her as she did. She was content like this, she even dreaded that the small moment they had at this time was catalyzed by the day's events. But still, it made her content. The only thing that began to shift that mood, was her daughter suddenly shifting into some sort of sales pitch. Hatsumi could feel herself wavering on Kiyomi’s words the longer she talked until her daughter's proposal reached its crescendo.

 

“Absolutely not, I am not taking you back outside the city outskirts. Let alone to one of the mountain passes. And right before winter?”

 

There were times were Hatsumi wanted to say yes to anything Kiyomi asked for. To say she would do absolutely anything for her. That was her desire as a mother, to make her daughter happy. But there were times she could not be Kiyomi’s best friend. She would need to be the bad guy eventually, Kiyomi just hadn't forced Hatsumi’s hand as a parent yet. And seeing the face that came after hurt her, by the God’s it hurt her. That was a face she was accustomed to seeing when Yui either was upset with her or begged her not to leave on contracts. A soft face shifted into sadness and frustration. It's the face of someone that thought they would have full backing and that they wouldn't even have to worry about hearing a ‘no’. A face that was trying its best to hold itself still and bottle in the welling force of a child that wants to get their way, but knows arguing would be wrong.

 

Please don’t look at me like that, this is for your safety.

 

“I’m sorry sweetie, but I can’t. Or- more to say, I won't. I refuse to put you in harm's way like that.”

 

73