V2 C94 A priests countenance
781 3 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Thanks all for the patience! Hope I can keep the unnecessary tension metered a bit more with the last and following arcs. Thats the next writing habit I'm trying to overcome. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy!

It'd been some time since everyone began filing out of the main room. Between momentarily shared glances with Aethelwulf, and my glances to the shelves of scrolls and books I'd found within the hall's secondary rooms it was oddly nerve-wracking.

 

What is it he's staring at?

 

I asked myself. It was difficult to discern until the room had cleared more, as Aethelwulf refused to move and I wasn't fond of meeting the head of a temple on my lonesome with an audience. Brother Kane came to me twice, asking if there was anything I needed yet I still felt hesitant. 

 

Solah… Solah… Va-ren… nothing still.

 

I searched as I could, trying to find any text I was able between the plethora of personal journals or simplified religious texts. In a sense of words I'd used before-

 

"It's just a clusterfuck."

 

I let out a frustrated groan, just barely audible to myself or anyone within a few feet.

 

"Though a warrior you may be, that language is unbecoming for such an age. Possibly refrain until your sixteenth, aye?"

 

"Gah, fuck! Who- ah, my apologies."

 

I was startled by the sudden voice of Brother Kane, checking up on me once more.

 

"Apologies just the same, though now you are plenty awake to see Brother Aethelwulf. I'd asked to fetch you, however, he stated you may prefer a private meeting?"

 

I was stuck for a moment unable to respond, though I did receive a proper view of Brother Kane's face. A large, dark-skinned human, his complexion hinting at what would pass for a man of Middle Eastern descent. His frame was quite large, though similar in height to Aethelwulf from a distance. Even so, he stood a full head and shoulders taller than myself.

 

Speaking with him was that easy?

 

"I- ah."

 

"Should you wish to wait for your Mother? It's understandable if you'd wish someone familiar present-"

 

"No, I can meet him."

 

I cut off Brother Kane, 

 

"Ah, good. He sensed you may have had some confusion about not receiving a direct blessing. Usually, the pendants passed down are imbued with a type of ward."

 

I looked down at the pendant on my chest and back up.

 

"Ah, not the one you've received, as special a place it may hold."

 

Brother Kane's eyes drifted down to the one thing I've held tightly in my grip since entering the temple.

 

"The sword."

 

I held up Wyrmstooth as if to look it over myself.

 

"Wyrms-tooth?"

 

The large-framed human nodded.

 

"Aye, he stated it had a particular quality he'd noticed. He wished to speak with you on the subject, as aware or not you may be."

 

I looked to Wyrmstooth, recalling the cursed night that Kiyomi's memories were virtually spliced into mine, unable to distinguish them as anything but my own true memory.

 

"I know a degree or so, he is free now? Though-"

 

I shook my head, clearing my thoughts to my original purpose here. 

 

"Scratch that, I wanted to know more about Solah and her tie with Va-ren. I'm sorry, that was my initial reasoning for coming…"

 

A tinge of guilt bit into my mind as I finished speaking.

 

"And also for my Mother. She'd supposedly been praying in some regard for me. I felt it was time I accompanied- I mean, joined her."

 

My attachment to her… that's love now… I've known her so long that she's virtually come to my mind as my own mother before. Or the one Kiyomi longs for.

 

Brother Kane nodded to the side.

 

"Though it has been some great time since Aethelwulf has been to his homeland, I'm sure he may possibly alleviate some of your curiosity. Come, he waits in the inner sanctum."

 

Brother Kane motioned for me to follow, a large scarred hand held out to the door. I looked to the entrance before nodding. 

 

"Aye, sir. Lead the way."


"Aethelwulf, I've brought the girl."

 

Kane opened the near decrepit wooden door, it's brass hinges faded and screeching with age. The sight that greeted us was Aethelwulf seated at a small table, the scent of tea filling the air. To my satisfaction, it was not that of Yarrow.

 

"Ah, come sit. Kane, I trust you can attend to any matters in my stead?"

 

"Aye."

 

The two traded a nod before the old Imp motioned for me to enter. The room was quaint, its walls wooden except for the stone with a fireplace at its center. Bookcases lined the walls with the exception of the one we entered through. Lit candles held their place on the occasional shelf, providing a warm hue to the atmosphere devoid of natural light. 

 

"Aethelwulf sir?"

 

He nodded to me calling his name.

 

"Aethelwulf, be done with the sir. It would make our conversation quite tiresome."

 

He motioned to the empty chair opposite of him, a fresh cup of tea sitting where I'd have rested my elbow. I took it hesitantly, understanding for one of the few times in this life I was seated with a complete stranger. Aethelwulf looked to the tea, taking a short sip before furrowing his brow and smacking his lips.

 

"I'm sure your first question must be 'Why, did this holy man tasked with blessing the young warriors on the frontier, fail to bless me just the same?"

 

Aethelwulf casually nodded to me, sipping once more from his cup using both hands. I nodded in response, hesitantly taking the cup left for myself in hand.

 

"Granted you've already received a pendant, you are not the first. Should a pendant already be passed down, it would usually be blessed once more still."

 

He paused, pursing his lips as he looked away.

 

"Apologies, it seems in old age my manners are fleeting and I tend to ramble on my lonesome. I am Aethelwulf, and you are?"

 

He turned to face me once more, a face reminiscent of a grandparent greeting their first grandchild. His smile still drove the remnants of what had once been deep dimples into his wrinkled expression.

 

"Kiyomi."

 

I did my best to nod as if I were curtsying. 

 

"It's nice to meet you on speaking terms, sir. Though not my leading reason for wanting to speak with you, I remain curious."

 

I returned his smile, maintaining my polite face for one that I'd just met.

 

"As you may have understood, I spent some time that should have been spent on blessing you, observing your sword."

 

Aethelwulf looked down at the steel.

 

"You're a strong girl to wield it at your age. At your frame’s full size, it should complement you well."

 

Aethelwulf nodded as if ascertaining a fact.

 

"It seems, that along the way, it is already blessed. It already possesses my ward and more. Though how it came to be this way I haven't a clue."

 

Aethelwulf swayed his head back and forth from time to time, speaking of Wyrmstooth. He seemed either unable to recall seeing the sword before or was altogether passing over the fact. The old goat adjusted his glasses before continuing.

 

"I will forgo my ranting and assumptions. I seem to be getting ahead of myself. How did you come by it, if I may pry?"

 

Aethelwulf asked, patiently awaiting an answer as he placed the now empty cup of tea on the table's surface.

 

Should I open up about it? Or maintain a need-to-know basis with this guy? My radar is all over the place, impossible to read.

 

"My Uncle, Mr. Callum, he forged it as a gift. He gave it to me, though as a joke at first."

 

Aethelwulf paused, looking me dead in the eyes whilst a smile pried at the edge of his lips as if to say 'I am expected to believe this?'. With a sigh he leaned back into his chair, one hooked leg crossing over the other. 

 

"It's an interesting piece, the sculpted steel, you tend to see nothing of that old-world stylization anymore. Most imperial citizens I've seen come to wield greatswords of such size carry a wider variety of styles."

 

Aethelwulf took to refilling his cup, steam flying free as fluid poured in a swirling motion.

 

"Let alone a mana-locked weapon, wrought from Va-ranian steel."

 

Aethelwulf sipped leaving one eye through cracked eyelids. 

 

Ah, shitty lie…

 

Just as I was about to respond, a sharp inhale marking my resignation to speaking the truth, Aethelwulf placed a proverbial pin in the conversation. 

 

"-Of course, I suspect he could have received it in some part dealing with the refugees we took in some suns ago. "

 

Aethelwulf groaned, stretching his crossed leg.

 

"All I mean to contribute with that fact is that I did not exclude you of malicious intent. You've already been blessed, and the presence about you is odd… familiar in a way."

 

The old goat stood, shaking his head and offering a hand to me.

 

"My singular question is semi-satisfied, how may I help you with yours? You've mentioned the blessing being not your only curiosity."

 

I took Aethelwulf's hand in thanks, smiling as I stood. 

 

Dangerous person averted?

 

"Aye, actually, sir-"

 

We slowly began our stroll through the side halls.


"So, knowledge of the homeland? Of Solah, and the cycle of life?"

 

Aethelwulf turned to me, raising an eyebrow as if to cap his question. A gesture to which I nodded.

 

"While I may have little for official records, each of the eldest peoples have some form of saga per their respective God. As such with Tyr and his tree."

 

Aethelwulf scratched his beard.

 

"Though, for you to seek solace in what comes after is odd for one so young. Usually, those of your age would be eager for favor in their adventures." 

 

We stopped within a circular chamber just underneath the main hall.

 

"Your mother prays for you quite often, citing peril that you've clashed against with little to no fear. Is that perhaps a headstrong mindset giving way to anxiety? Why would you think of the possible outcomes to pass only now?"

 

Aethelwulf asked, his hands resting atop his staff and his chin sitting atop them. I shook my head for a moment.

 

I'd come to ask for help. It's not like I can withhold everything if I want to solve this.

 

“Not to say I’m afraid of kicking the bucket-”

 

I scratched my cheek idly with my free hand, brushing a brang over my ear. Aethelwulf himself raised a brow at my expression. 

 

“Kick the bucket? Aye, that's a new way to put dying violently.”

 

Aethelwulf spoke in an exaggerated tone, perhaps hoping to deter the thought.

 

For real old man?

 

I looked flatly before shaking my head.

 

“How to say… I’d like to know out of sheer curiosity.”

 

Time to bullshit him… Ow, is that a strike to my conscience?

 

“I’ve heard about stuff before, but I don't know what is just rumors. Mother never really talks about anything other than the Gods blessings.”

 

The old goat nodded.

 

“Aye, well, it is an uncomfortable topic for some. Especially so when speaking of such things to your own child in a land such as Damus.”

 

Aethelwulf sighed.

 

“Though I cannot fault your curiosity. I’d say let it come with time, child. You’re intelligent from what I gather, but all the intelligence in the world will do no good if you lack the ability to digest the information. Lest you become some upbrought zealot shouting apocryphal nonsense.”

 

His eyes rolled within his aged skull, wrinkles shifting as he did so. 

 

“That's a fear? I’d figure the temples would welcome overly curious youth.”

 

I was actually confused at his words, for Aethelwullf to be such a respected figure and to utter such words. 

 

“The Gods are an absolute to existence, and long have their names been besmirched in any given absence. And in this case, their absence has been long and tumultuous.”

 

Aethelwulf's brow tensed and furrowed. 

 

“Is that a no, I take it?”

 

I asked, doing my best to play at the crestfallen girl act. However, instead of earning sympathy, it resulted in an overly amused chuckle. 

 

“Girl, the act does not befit you… To the contrary, it is a yes. Though, meter your expectations.”

 

Aethelwulf placed a hand forward as if to ‘halt’ my advance. 

 

“Slowly. Come here once a week and we shall contemplate together. Think of it as a time to reflect upon yourself as well. A busybody such as yourself can manage, correct?” 

 

I nodded hesitantly at Aethelwulf's words. 

 

“Amongst these studies, I will recount what I can for thee of Va-ren.”

 

42