Chapter 62 – A devil’s offer & Damsel in distress
403 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 62 - A devil’s offer & Damsel in distress


Taking a seat beside his desk, he felt Vlad's atmosphere changing when he said that. Not minding the change of tone, Aldenis only said. "Sure, let's hear them out. What else do you want from this old man?"

"Then if you excuse me. What is your relation with the other syndicates in this district?"

"Competitors over this land you could call us? Rivals maybe if you wish another name? However those two ruffians are beneath me, so I don't view them as such, only some criminal bastards who extort people, while also gathering criminals getting inside Sagletius."

Not changing any emotion on his face when he heard Aldenis's response, he followed with another question.

"What is your view on the orphan kids being exploited by your guys or other syndicate members?" After he said that, the atmosphere turned even colder and serious, which also made Aldenis be ready with his hand on the alarm under his desk.

Yet he kept his composure and looked with a serious expression on his face.

"I condemn any of such treatments going around this district. I know they exist, also that they might be exploited by other syndicate members, as for my men. If I ever find anyone breaking the rules I set for them, I'll kill them myself.

Don't rush with another question kid, since you like this question of yours, let me ask you.

Who are you? The way you conduct yourself, this arrogance and confidence of yours, it's just like the royals. Ohh, don't tell me you're the one who killed those rats belonging to Nellon and Paldot. Also, the news I've heard about a noble walking around the market with some little slaves behind him, that should be you, I guess?"

.

Vlad's face kept an icy calm, while his eyes slowly grew colder when hearing the old man put the puzzle pieces one by one. Still, Aldenis keeping an eye on Vlad's reactions, grew even more serious and said with assured certainty.

"Your face also reminds me of the old king and the crown prince. Don't get surprised young man, someone at my age even if I'm a nobody here leading a bunch of thugs has seen plenty with his old eyes, especially young Lucius."

Vlad's eyes shined a bit with red and black colors, but enough to be contained in just his irises. He only said to Aldenis.

"You would get nothing even if you know who am I. Worse, your life might be in danger of knowing too much."

As Vlad said that, Aldenis began feeling the taste of iron run over his mouth when staring in Vlad's eyes that began glowing a bit red and dark.

"Calm down young man, I mean no harm to you. What can an old man such as me even do to you, a devil fruit user? I've met your grandfather, I've even used to work for him collecting information on the rebellious nobles. You'll regret it dearly if you kill me now."

Hearing Aldenis say that Vlad looked at his serious face and black eyes that didn't show any wavering as when a person tries to lie on a subject, and after some seconds, he began to relax his grip on Aldenis blood flow.

"I don't trust you yet. Even if you're saying that you worked for old Opheltius or even meet Vermilion Lucius. This means nothing to me. I am myself, while they are their own person. Now with the business at hand with you, it is something that shouldn't concern you with regards to them."

"Now, respond to this question, old man."

"If you knew that those poor kids are mistreated and almost kept dying of starvation, why didn't you intervene, build a safe place for them and let them grow safely then when they were capable of working for you, they would work for you to pay their debt for taking care of them. What if they were your lost grandchildren being treated worse than animals?"

.

Aldenis face turned angry when he heard Vlad put focus on the problem of the orphans. He was visible aware of this problem, but he had his hands tied in the mess that was this Forsaken District where a ragtag of criminals were putting on display their power and crazy methods of extorting people. With breathing getting intense he said to Vlad with a cold tone.

"Like I said I condemn any actions taken by the other syndicates or even my guys, but there's much more than just kids being left to starve. I layed down the rules, those kids could just try to run towards other places to ask for help to my place. I've heard no complaints coming to me, so I didn't bother myself with this small things. I have other bigger things to take care of little brat.

Do you think it's easy to keep in check all these criminals that could turn this entire place into chaos? If one of us gets any weaker or tries to form an alliance, the conflict will get to such a big scale that even the noble factions would get entangled into it."

.

Not having much of Aldenis justification, Vlad said coldy to him.

"Old man you talk big as if those insignificant traitors could actually pull something big. However, you got a big problem. I have a great antipathy for criminals, maybe you or others, it could happen instantly for all I care. But you saying that you couldn't be bothered with those small lives, it's a sign of stupidity which I don't like to see into an administrator. Who do you take my promising subjects? Bugs, Animals? You and your grut are also animals to me but am I going to treat you as one if I don't have evidence? No."

Still hearing Vlad's part the old man began laughing finding what Vlad said stupid, and with a cold, serious tone he said right in his face without even carrying he could die. 

"Brat you see me and my boys as animals? Kid are you really that type of idealistic fool who can't see the whole picture? Do you think that I'm here doing extortion as the other two syndicates? Before you start pinning all the blame on me for overlooking some brats who aren't smart enough to look for way out, you should tell me. CAN YOU HOLD DOWN A BUNCH OF CRIMINALS FROM DESTROYING THE FUTURE OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE?

You might say you can, but I am not so powerful like a devil fruit user to push my weight and kill those bastards myself. I am just a simple human who is trying to protect those simple people from the madness of a band of criminals left to roam freely the lands of Kaysang.

Listen you foolish kid, I built this "Behemoth Syndicate" to keep the common citizens who want a normal life protected from those exact guys who are trying to destroy them. There are cases of people suffering a lot here, for that I agree, but now all the fault is on top of my head? Screw you kid. Even if you're a royal, you have no reason, absolutely no reason to blame for what happened in the kingdom and in this place. You shouldn't even have the gall to tell me that what I'm doing in this kind of environment that your own exact kind created is wrong."

.

Vlad as he was hearing the old man straightforward response, began to shift in his emotional state, slowly turning to look at the old man with a rather calm and respectful manner. He took some time to respond back, visible thinking of what he just heard and in doing that nodding his head by himself.

The old man who took some long breaths, feeling himself a bit refreshed after saying what was on his mind, looked at this young prince in front of him who seemed to contemplate on what he heard, and also shift his initial opinion on him. Then, he saw as Vlad raised on his feet all of a sudden and slowly bowing to him, before opening to him, calmly.

.

"I understand the predicament you have been. This is truly a side of a story that I have been blindfolded, not knowing. Sir Aldenis, if my words offended in any moment, there. You have my apology. This is a side of my personality that is sometimes hot-headed, making me react on emotion on sensitive topics to my heart.

Hearing you, I can see that you're a person that is not clouded by the greed of profits and also trying to help those unfortunate people residing in this place. I can try to understand your positions, but this doesn't mean that you are innocent for others' tragedy, just because you followed a lesser evil choice."

.

"Hmph, say all you want brat, I regret nothing in my life. I've tried my best to make your grandfather deal with the nobles, but that old fool wanted his damn balanced. Go on kid, I've responded to your questions, you know with who you're talking to, tell me what business do you have with me?" questioned Aldenis, no longer wanting to waste his time on cheap talk.

"Indeed, I feel I have a small grasp on your character. So I will have no problem collaborating with you. Then let's get down to the real business. Are you interested in administering this entire district for me?" asked Vlad while getting himself back on his seat, getting a relaxed position on the chair.

"That's quite the scheme, but can you actually pull this off? Also, if you're thinking I would push my men to get themselves killed in a two vs one fight, you're totally wrong."

.

"No. You're wrong, old man. I don't need any of your people. I myself, I'm enough to clean this entire place of its dirt. But the waves I will make will be significant, for that I need someone to cover my tracks since I don't want to deal with the entire noble faction for now. 

Yet here you are. You're this excellent screen for me to clean this place up. You've got to win big from this business with me. You only have to set up a meeting between you syndicates in a certain place. Right, also tell me everything you know about their organization, numbers, weapons, people worth living, and so on. Can you pull this off for me? When I clean them out, you just have to send your men to make it seem as if you won the war between syndicates."

.

"I don't know young man, you talk big, but what if you fail? Don't I get drowned with you?  I can set that meeting, I can also make a list with people with value from the other side. Sigh, I feel that the devil came to me and offered a deal so strong that even my soul would be drawn out." replied Aldenis while leaning on the back of his chair while tapping with his fingers the desk.

"You don't have to rush yourself with this decision, if you want I can give you a period of one month to decide." said Vlad while observing Aldenis's hesitation being indicated by the manner he tapped on the desk with his fingers.

Aldenis, still tapping the desk and thinking of Vlad's proposal, asked him while leaning on the chair.

"What rights do I have as Administrator of this zone, Your Highness?"

The instant Vlad heard Aldenis call him that, with a royal title, his face crumbled, adding with deep annoyance.

"Don't call me that. I'm not even recognized by any nobles or that old man, so my status is just smokes. Call me Vlad or Blood. As for what attributes you'll have as an administrator, you can think of it as a Mayor governing this zone. The feeling will be the same as a syndicate leader, only that you'll control all this district. However, I'm the one directing the big projects around here, if you want to do something big here on your own you need my agreement."

"That's everything I got to do? Don't I have to give you a ton of money each month or year that it's generated by the trade here?"

Vlad shook his head while smiling a bit, after that adding to the old man.

"If you don't spent it like a stupid person I don't care. Yet, there will be a time when I might come to ask you money for projects I intend to build here."

.

"Okay young Vlad, you're convincing enough. I'll not bother myself thinking too much about your offer. I'll gladly take the offer of the devil and also clean out those brutes. Administrator sounds better than being called a thug boss." responded Aldenis without wasting any time on thinking, feeling the offer fair.

"Glad to hear that old Aldenis. You only have to pull off that meeting between the leaders and their rat holes and I'll take care of everything. If you want to meet me search for Sofiya, the girl with white hair. Your guys certainly know her if you don't know her. She's the one who knows how to find me."

"Sigh, you young people sure are full of life. I don't know what to say, you're either crazy strong or arrogantly stupid. But I hope is the first one. I'll contact you when I set the meeting and have everything prepared."

"Good, take care." said Vlad while taking the black bag full of money and going out of Aldenis's office.

.

As he walked downstairs, he was stared at intensely by the syndicate members. Yet there was no incident, just as the old man said those guys understood rules even if deep down they were just some criminals or whatever the old man gathered.

Meanwhile, when Vlad exited the mansion, Aldenis began laughing heartily while being left alone in his office, while saying in a pleased manner when remembering his conversation with Vlad.

"Haha, to think that this day will come when those nobles would suffer so much. Faust was right, he's truly worth the money he asks for working for me. Luckily this surprising meeting turned out even more crazy. Good, very good."

Pressing the button under the table, and not long, the guys with scars on their faces appeared inside.

"Jan, Peter. Run a check on Leviathans and Gargoyles. I want to know all their noteworthy people in about two weeks time."

"Yes boss, don't worry. You'll get the list in two weeks time as you commanded."

"Good, get going boys. I want to be alone for a while."

The scarred men nodded their heads and walked away. After that, Aldenis just walked slowly towards his couch and lay down. Not long, the sounds of snoozing started to be heard in the old man's office.

.

.

.

Away from the mansion, Vlad strolled back towards his home with the money bag in his hands.

Passing alleys after alleys until he had to take a dirtied alley. There he spotted some syndicate members from the other two gangs, Leviathan and Gargoyle, having some conflict while surrounding a naked woman, dropped on the floor and on her knees.

She cried hard, and her face looked close to one meeting death in the face. Her scream made Vlad's eyes grow colder. He then covered his face, similar to how the people of Venice did with their masquerade carnivals. Dropping the black briefcase on the ground, blood slowly began to be pushed from his face capillaries, morphing into a sinister-looking crimson mask that had a scarred lip, a crack line flowing from his mouth to his chin. Similarly, his eye spots had cracks flowing along until hitting the base of a king's crown of thorns.

In doing so, the woman, if she survived, couldn't point people towards him. With that in mind, he began approaching those syndicate guys while also condensing some blood spikes in his hands. With his preparations completed, the spikes slowly started getting lengthier.

He casually walked towards the syndicate members as if wanting to check on them, which was later sensed by the guys.

One of them even began cursing Vlad without even looking much at his mask, failing to notice the spikes that Vlad held in his hands.

"Get your ass away from here you piece of shit, I see that you like to hide your face out of fear of getting found out who you are? Can't you see that we're busy now with this woman, that got sold by her husband? This is what happens to people who can't pay their debts."

Vlad, behind his mask, had his eyes shine a bit red, and not minding the curses of the syndicate members, he just walked to them. Seeing Vlad not phased by his curses, all the syndicate members turned to look at Vlad, even the woman crying her eyes out, raised her head from the ground to see who was coming.

She could only see Vlad's long jet-black hair being blown by the wind as he walked and a mask that had the color of fresh blood that could make anyone feel some fear.

Vlad's footsteps were heard in the alley, and when his spikes were in range to piece the syndicate members, he slowly raised his hand before quickly sending his spikes flying towards two syndicate guys straight to their heart.

"Shoot him, I don't know what's this guy's problem, but he intends to oppose us." screamed another syndicate guy before shooting with his flintlock.

.

Then as the bullets began approaching Vlad, he only snorted and began to surround the spots they were targeting in parts of the armour. Continuing to walk casually towards the syndicate guys, in the hysteria of the syndicate members who looked dumbfounded how each of their bullets did nothing to Vlad, each of them being blocked by some weird crimson plates appearing from nowhere to stop the incoming bullets.

There were still 4 syndicate members who stared in shock. Then Vlad reached them. They looked a bit in his eyes and only saw some cold red irises staring back emotionlessly.

Vlad summoned plenty of blood in his hand that quickly morphed it into a dagger. Holding the dagger in hand, he stabbed one of the syndicate members in his throat, quickly following another syndicate member who was desperately trying his best to reload his flintlock and stabbing him in his chest.

He drew back his dagger from the guy's chest and stared at the remaining two guys, who tried their best to escape. The two rushed to get the woman and use her as a meatshield, yet as they rushed towards the women, Vlad summoned yet again two blood stakes that he threw at them. One managed to pierce the back of the rushing syndicate guy, while the other one missed with some centimetres of the target.

The last guy, who from some crazy luck, got away from the flying stake, got the woman by the head, and held her by the throat as a shield.

"Don't approach me or I'll kill this woman. You're trying to save her right? If you don't let me get away safely from here I'll crash her throat." screamed the syndicate guy wearing blue clothes with a hint of madness on his face.

The woman who felt that her time with life began running out looked at Vlad's sinister mask and expressionless red eyes, and with all her force, only said.

"Help me."

After that, the syndicate guy grabbed her throat even harder and screamed in the woman's ear.

"Shut up whore! You'll die with me if this monster doesn't let me out!"

Vlad looked at the syndicate guy while his eyes shifted slightly in color, slowly going blacker and the eye sockets of the mask giving off some mist.

[Mind Shatter]

The syndicate member only heard a cold and sinister voice run in his brain. 

"PATHETIC SCUM. YOU CAN EVEN FIGHT BACK MY POWER AND YOU SHOW SIGNS OF REBELION! NO MERCY TO YOUR KIND. DIE IN AGONY!"

Suddenly he felt that the world around him darkened. His grip on the woman's throat loosened, making the woman cough hard and quickly run towards Vlad and drop to his feet, grabbing him hard with a scared expression.

Meanwhile, inside the syndicate member's mind, the man looked fearful at the black world that was accompanied by a sinister laugh, whose tone resembled the person wearing the crimson mask.

"Scum, do you think that you can negotiate with death? It's always nice to see idiots like you in this hellhole trying to do all sorts of things around me. I'll have to agree that this lands are my proving ground, where I can polish my rusted skills and once again get used to the flow of blood passing in my hands."

Transmitted Vlad to the syndicate member's mind before finishing with a sinister laugh. Suddenly the nightmares began until it felt him dry of any mental power. Like all of Vlad's targets, he was sent to the underworld accompanied by the cries of banshees.

.

Then Vlad lowered his eyes, staring at the naked woman that was shaking from fear while holding his legs for dear life. Sighing, he asked her with a deep tone.

"Tell me woman, why are you clinging so hard to my legs? I already killed the bastards that tried to harm you. You're free to go." ended saying Vlad while touching the young woman's black messy hair.

Yet to Vlad's surprise, the women looked up at Vlad's crimson mask and the crown of thorns drawn on the mask and only said with a scared tone. "Where should I go master when I've even been betrayed by my so-called "most faithful"? I've got no place to go home, I'm just like a dropped leaf that is now blown by the wind in whatever direction. It's even unknown if those bastards will try to find me to settle that betrayer's debts."

"Woman I am by no means a saint. I've helped you because I was strong enough to do so, if I was weaker than those guys I might just turn the blind eye. Sigh, you place me in a weird spot. You have no place to go home? Any friend where you can go?" still in his deep voice, Vlad questioned the naked woman, clinching on his legs.

"None, in this place I dare not even muster this notion. I can be of help master, please take me with you." pleaded the woman with tears on her face again.

Looking with his frosty eyes on the young woman looking to be about 26 years old that wasn't looking so bad by his standards, he sighed and asked her something simple.

"Do you know how to write and read? Do you know how to cook? Also, how is your affinity with kids?"

The young woman's fear began to lessen when hearing Vlad's question and keep nodding her head like a little chick.

"Yes master, I can read and write, I am a self thought. Also I can cook and take care of other needs that you might need. As for my affinity with children, I used to take care of my younger brothers when I was younger before moving to this place."

When Vlad heard that, he patted the young woman's head and staring at her naked body, he said in a deep voice to her.

"Go take some clothes on your body woman."

She looked at her body and gave a small embarrassed cry. After the adrenaline and the survival instinct began depleting, she finally felt that she was naked and stared at by someone of the opposite gender.

Quickly she looked around for her torn clothes, but there were only scraps to her clothes. Looking at the bloody scene, she walked to the dead syndicate members with disgust and began taking off the dead's clothes. After some minutes, she covered herself, wearing the bloody clothes.

.

Vlad shook his head and extended his white hand. He made a hand movement similar to someone pushing away a thing. Blood began to get pushed from the young women's clothes, cleaning them from the blood.

He began to walk towards the dropped black bag full of money. Seeing the masked man move towards the opposite side, the young woman quickly ran as if her life depended on something to catch up to Vlad.

When she arrived close to Vlad and saw how casually he extended his white hand to grab his black briefcase. Still, with his crimson mask on his face, he turned to look at the young woman who ran so desperately just to follow him and laughed a bit in a more youthful tone.

"What's with this desperate face, young lady? You got scared I'll abandon you like a little puppy on the streets? I'm not so cruel, since I extended my hand to rescue you, I will take responsibility for changing your life. Now tell me how should I call you?"

"I'm called Elisabeth Vetsera, master." said the young woman as quickly as possible, not even bothered by Vlad's sarcastic words.

"Good, now listen well Elisabeth, you'll follow me along without pestering me with any question. You'll understand what you have to do once we get to a location. Also, If you're getting bored of saying master to much, call me Vlad." As Vlad said that, he lifted the solidified crimson mask, and blood began to enter back in Vlad's face skin.

When Elisabeth, who was beside Vlad, watched how the crimson mask vanished in Vlad's skin as if it was magic, she was a bit shocked, but when studying Vlad's young features. His long jet-black hair, his cold and white face, with sharp black eyebrows and dark-green eyes. He was far taller than her, which made him even more imposing, her being only 1,73 meters.

Her mouth opened up a bit in surprise and shock, and when she observed that Vlad began to distance himself, walking towards the exit of the district, she quickly followed along.

Walking along the periphery, close to Vlad's side, she breathed out in relief that she didn't encounter any syndicate member.

Slowly, a tall young man wearing a clean white buttoned shirt and black trousers and a young woman with messy black hair and tattered men's clothes that didn't fit her well arrived on the path towards the forbidden forest.

When Elisabeth found out that she was going more and more towards the forbidden forest, she tried to stop Vlad and warn him about the legendary beast slumbering in the forest. But was only rebutted by Vlad continuing to walk forward, which forced her to continue moving next to Vlad in fear that a beast might attack her.

Then after some minutes of walking, she began seeing two wooden houses, one smaller and one bigger, and hear the sound of a water stream flowing.

She saw Vlad continue walking towards the smaller wooden house, and entering inside, she followed along. To her surprise, a black cat-like creature jumped on her shoulder from nowhere which gave her a big scare. The biggest shock for her was that this creature even talked to her.

"Don't get scared, beautiful lady. I'm the gentlest gryphon one would wish to have. Tell me beauty, what is your name?"


A/N: This chapter shows many sides to Vlad personality. A hot-headed man who might be taken by his emotions. Someone who can listen to others opinions and process the information before doing a final verdict, and also someone who holds his life dear to him, visible by the dark truth told to Elisabeth.  "If I was weaker than them, I might have turned the blind eye since my life is far more precious."

But he can also show compassion to others in dire need, such as the orphans, this abandoned woman and many others. He is not a perfect person, instead is a flawed one who tries to improve himself with each day. Moving past his first life experiences and grow.

.

* Join my discord. https://discord.gg/CMsHqJVDVD

* Rate and follow if you want to support the story.

* Review if you want to tell the rest of the readers your experience.

* Comment after the end of the chapter. Keep the community together.

14