Chapter 8 – His Story
112 4 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Aria, come! Let's go before father finds us."

Those were the words I told your mother as we sneaked out of the family palace.

"But… isn't this really bad? You know Lord Geistein is very protective of you. Since you're his only son."

Aria was a meek and shy person, someone that doesn't like to go around much and most of all...

"I'm a princess, Albrecht. Everyone says I shouldn't mingle with the commoners too much."

Royalty.

"Princess in name only, why would they put you here in the north instead of the capital Aria?"

"Hahaha...I'm three years older than you, Albrecht. You're too smart for your own good."

"Well you're smarter than most adults I've met as well."

We met when we were very young.

"Silly brat."

"Bird cage princess."

We met in very strange circumstances because of our families.

We always mock and tease each other, but...

""Fufu...hahahaha!"

We were inseparable.

"How dare you treat a princess like me like that Albrecht!"

"Well about the same as the people back in your palace!"

Despite everything in our worlds telling us to not get along. We did, beyond any social standing we were great friends, and eventually well…

"...I wonder if I can stay here forever, Albrecht."

"Hmm...I heard marriage is pretty effective, Aria."

"Eww…! Why would I marry you dummy!"

It became more than that, but that's a story for another time.

Anyways, the reason why I'm telling you this story is because,

"Aria, you're older than me but you don't like any of the food here?" 

"Well…"

I noticed a grim similarity.

"It's not that I'm picky, I cannot really feel the taste any delicious food."

Both you and Aria had a lack of desire when it comes to taste. You are more severe then her obviously.

"Weirdo."

I said some insensitive things in the past but I learned my lesson.

Anyways,.

"That's why I brought you here!"

"...You sneaked me out of the palace and to the middle of the city?"

"Yup!"

Although we cloaked and disguised ourselves, it was still a bad idea now that I think about it; having a noble and royal child alone in the city. We should have at least brought in one guard.

"....You do know you'll get your father a heart attack sooner at the rate you're stressing him out." 

"My father is always in bed recovering, he won't even know we left. Come let's go!'

"Stupid Albrecht!"

I agree now with Aria for calling me stupid back then.

"Come, come!"

"W-wait it's winter you brat, slow down!"

We were both stupid, with me being the stupider one.

"My hair will get seen, idiot!"

"No, trust me! They won't notice us!'

But what I lack in intelligence back then more than makes up for it with my sheer luck. As no one did notice us and we never encountered any form of trouble or dangers.

Anyways.,

"We're here!"

We made it.

"...You mean this little stall?"

"Hm-mmm!"

Our destination was a rickety looking stall.

"Are you kidding me?"

It was small and looked like it'd fall apart any moment.

"I don't even think this place is fit for commoners."

Obviously your mother was not pleased she ran all the way to a dilapidated store.

"Hey, that's mean. You should—"

"—Haha he's right, young Albrecht, this place does look like shit!"

I was about to defend the shack but the stall owner himself agreed with Aria.

"But your Highness, don't be fooled by this one's appearance. There's a reason why the young master himself brought you here."

"How did you know?"

He immediately knew who she was, that of a princess.

"Heh, veteran of the war. I was one of the many men that marched alongside your father's horse. That glistening silver hair of yours is a dead giveaway missy."

And again, back to me.

"Hey, I was the one that brought her here mister!"

As usual, I was being immature to get his attention.

"Okay, okay, young Albrecht. I think I would know what that is but for the sake of the young Lady beside you."

Once that was done I told him what I wanted.

A cold treat.

"That cold treat!"

It was a dessert with crushed ice and snow together sweetened by honey and sweet berries.

"Coming right up!"

Although it was just a commoners' treat, I liked it.

"...Albrecht..."

And while suspicious at first, I knew for sure Aria would like it.

"Here you go!"

The man gave us the treat each in little wooden bowls with thin, finger-sized, pieces of wood as spoons.

"Are you sure about this Albrecht?"

"Of course, I'll eat it right now!"

As she was skeptical at first, I was the one that took a scoop first.

"Frosty~"

Seeing my face in bliss.

"...Fine."

Aria finally took a bite.

"If this doesn't taste good I swear I—mm?"

"How is it A-ri-a?"

"Hmmm….gulp."

After taking a few more bites.

"This tastes good..."

She likes it, no she loves it.

"More please good sir..."

After finishing the bowl she even asked for seconds.

"Coming right up!"

And we ate more, and at that moment.

"See? Told ya you'll like it."

"You're right this time Albrecht."

"See? See?" 

"It's the first time I actually found something to be tasty…"

"Oh...that much huh?"

"Yeah, that much."

"Uhm, your welcome Aria."

"Thanks as well."

Let's just say, we knew each other a little bit more that day, eating the incredibly cold treat.

"Heh, these two...what incredible love birds." 

...But we didn't remember much afterwards as our head froze and before we knew it, we were back at the palace with my very angry father scolding us incredibly badly.

•••

"My Lady, I have finished cleaning your table now." The old bearded butler was talking to me but I didn't listen.

I only listened to my father's stories.

To me, who's inhabiting this body;

What a very cute story, I thought.

But with the other me, the real Arianne who's in this body with me...

"I...I…never even knew my mother's name!"

...This was an extremely shocking revelation to her. 

Because of how important all of this information was to the young Arianne, I decided to let her control the body for this one instance as a form of courtesy.

I felt it was only right for her to know her story.

Back to Albrecht. "Yes." He gave a very blunt response. 

Immediately though he elaborated. "It was because I gave the order to everyone in this palace and the surrounding estate to not speak a word about her. Ever."

And then his face looks down in sadness, "As I feared that they would speak ill-will of her legacy."

Although Albrecht's face was conflicted, Arianne did not let up.

"Then why didn't you tell me sooner? I wanted to know my mother so badly...How could I not know her until now when I'm her daughter?" I can feel my face letting out tears.

...She really does have a lot of bottled up emotions. I thought to myself.

"...I was hesitant. I thought you were far too young for you to know about your mother...about what happened to Aria." Needless to say Albrecht was being incredibly vague about this subject.

But I knew immediately by the fact that his vagueness only served to make me feel even more worried about Aria, and judging by Arianne's face…

Not only is she worried, "Father, about what happened..." It looks to be like, "Was it because of me?" She knew.

Albrecht's face slowly darken upon the realization. "W-what do you mean my daughter?" He tries to brush off the subject but…

At this point, even I knew what likely happened. 

Father cannot deny the truth any longer.

"Was it because of me that my mother perished?"

Everyone was shocked to learn the truth. Not because of the truth itself but by the fact the one who shouldn't have known the truth, knew.

"By the Gods..." Except for Miriam, who I forgot was even here.

"How did you know Arianne?" Albrecht stops all hesitation in his voice as he places his hand to our shoulders and asks me in an urgent manner.

And Arianne, my other me, spoke in an incredibly shaky voice. "My s-stepmother...she told me that the only good thing I've ever done is getting rid of my mother." No wonder why she's shaking.

What the hell is this girl's life… My feelings towards Arianne have moved beyond pity and turned to utter confusion as to how could a child at her age suffer like this.

"That, that…!" Albrecht was of a similar opinion as me. "That wench!" But of course as a parent it was filled with anger.

"I thought I had heard enough about that tramp's yapping, but I was clearly wrong..." I can feel his arms tightening around me.

My face winces in slight pain. You do know my body is very fragile right father? I thought to myself.

Father notices that and quickly stops, "Arianne, my daughter..." And proceeds to hug me instead.

"Oof—" I was surprised by this turn of events.

And it's kinda embarrassing as well, even though the door's closed seeing both Miriam and the old bearded butler look at me like this…

"You two, go outside for a moment." My father also has the same sentiment as me.

"O-of course!"

"Yes, my Lord."

The two left and it's only me, Arianne within me, and my father.

"Arianne." Albrecht called me immediately. 

"What is it father..." Both of us asked.

Albrecht looks at me and rubs my head. "I'm sorry Arianne." 

He continues. "What happened to you was unforgivable, and it was all my failure as a father that I couldn't prevent it from happening."

And then he mutters, "If only the capital wasn't so…" He sighs. "No matter Arianne, as you can see now that woman is no more in this family. I've dealt with her a long time ago and she will never bear the name Geistein any further."

That's reassuring. I thought. 

But the Arianne inside me is well, "T-thank you so much father...that's all I wanted to hear." She's crying again, but this time filled with joy.

I'm happy for her, but now…

It's time for me to be in control again.

I cried a little bit more until everything calmed down.

And now, "Uhm father, what should we do now?" I ask.

"Oh right." Father grabs his napkin and wipes the tears off my eyes. "I told you that story because I thought a cold treat would help you regain your taste in food, just like with your mother." 

Well now that he said that, it must be one nice ice cream to make a noble like my father like it. 

So of course, "I would love to, father." I agree.

"That's good." He once again patted my head. "Now that I think about it, you're 9 years old right my daughter?" 

I nodded. "Yeah."

"What a funny coincidence, Aria was also 9 years old when I told you the story." My father was amused by that fact and gave a smirk.

Looking at him now, my father really does look quite handsome. He's not an energetic young adult by any means but his sleek and cold demeanor is really appealing to someone who strived to look like that in the past.

Our eyes meet; both colored magenta, but our hairs are literally black and white.

I asked him, "How old were you then, father?" Just a random question.

"I was 6."

...If I was drinking when he said that I would have spilled it, "6?!" It's the first time I made such a voice.

"Yeah, hmmhaha…" He was laughing.

"Haa...." I was also beginning to smirk.

We both chuckled for a while.

It was a nice light breather from the heavy stuff we were dealing with before.

I can feel that the original Arianne is happy and also laughing with me.

After that my father stood up, "Well then, before we leave I'll prepare our outdoor outfits and each of our baths." He said to me as he walked away. "I'll go and prepare myself now."

I also followed him, thinking that I also need to prepare as well but he stopped me. "Oh, Arianne. As a father I need to be strict as well, you need to eat your food over there." And he pointed.

He points at the food on the table, the tasteless one to be exact as the other one was taken away.

"No—" I tried to shake my head but…

...Grumble~

"..." I could not say anything but blush.

"Yes father." I sat at the chair and ate the rest of my food.

Hey everyone! Sorry this took longer than I initially hoped, there was a lot of stuff happening in my personal life so yeah, just a lot of stuff that got in my way. But yeah thankfully the villainess chapters are shorter then Black Witch so there's that :P anyways what you guys think? I really like the character development haha and I'm so happy with Albrecht :3

Also clever chapter name! His Story sounds like History lol, am I a clever girl or what xD

 You see this story was inspired by Korean girl webtoons about being in novels and stuff, I like those stories but also stuff I didn't like, mainly the father figure not really acting like a father lol, so that's why although cold he does know how to be a family man :P and our mc as well, she's great I really like how weak she is right now, it's nice writing a character like that.

But ye, big news as well! I might change the name of this novel :3 something more indicative of the series so watch out for that ^^ and ye arigatou and goodbye! :3 :D :P

5