Chapter 10 – Cold Love
150 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before Arianne and Albrecht left the palace:

"Are the horses ready?" I ask the coachman handling my steed.

"Yes milord, this horse is all healthy and raring to go." 

"Good." I gave the stallion a rub on its head before, "You can go now." He's dismissed.

Giving a bow, he left and whilst I was giving a check to the horse on my own, a troublesome man suddenly entered my view.

"Lord Albrecht, may I have a word with you?" It seems the cheeky bastard used some magic to erase his footsteps.

"Fritz, first off just because you're Friedreich's son doesn't mean you can sneak up on me like that." I looked and calmed my surrounding knights down when they were raising their weapons.

"Oh my, I apologize milord it's a habit of mine" And with a flick of his index finger the magic seems to have turned off.

I'm getting a headache already. Let's get this over with quickly.

"Secondly, what do you want?" It's always trouble dealing with this half elf but I'll hear him out as it seems to be urgent.

"Well it's about lady Arianne." He scratches his head as I look menacingly.

"...What do you want with her?" I elaborate.

"Whoa there…" Fritz tries to lighten the mood up. "What I mean is that me and the physician wish to examine her condition after she comes back from this little trip."

"..." I looked at him for a bit before, "Is that it?" I'm surprised.

"Arianne will have her condition checked by the physician everyday no matter what anyways. I thought he'll ask something crazy for my daughter."

But,

"Well..." I knew it. "I wanted to use a bit of the spirit arts to check something within her." I knew there was a catch.

My shoulders slump as I put my hand on his own shoulder. 

With a very curved smile I look straight at him, "Aren't you a magician Fritz? What in the name of our lord are you using spirit arts for?" Gripping my palms to him.

Even if this idiot barely stays in the palace for more than a week despite being my vassal. Even I know that this magic idiot as an elf is famously terrible at using the spirit arts the elves are known for.

And he knew that more than anyone, "Didn't you say you had given out learning spirit arts a long time ago? I knew that your own—" and he rudely interrupted me as well.

He tried to explain himself, "C'mon now milord. I have begun to open up those dusty books again—" But...

Fritz quickly explained before my knights surrounded him. 

It's too late. "Lord Albrecht, should we kick him out of the palace once again?" A knight was swiftly breathing on Fritz's back and he shook.

Nice acting Fritz. I knew him longer than anyone so he definitely won't be intimidated by a knight's presence.

"Maybe later, but I'll give him one last mercy to explain himself. Right?" My hand grips even more to his shoulder.

"Alright alright, fine!" Now he panics. "Me and the physician have realized something feels off about her, so I used my very limited power to check her spirit and it's something I've never seen before. So I was curious and wanted to check on her further." He told me.

Alright, "You're forgiven." I can't believe he gave a straight answer for once, I signalled to the knights to back off now.

This must have been serious enough for him to not act like his usual mischievous self. 

I mean, he can take down my group of knights easily if he wanted to. I thought to myself.

Anyways. "But still Fritz, both you and I know that in elf standards, your power to the spirits is abysmal." Otherwise he wouldn't need to learn magic so much.

"I know, but—" He's gonna try to make some excuse again but I won't let him have his way this time.

"Both of us know someone who's very proficient in spirit arts, Fritz." So I brought her to the conversation.

"..." He was silent for a while before he spoke again. "...Albrecht, you and I both know that my mother is very sick right?" This time in a low whisper where my knights couldn't hear.

"Wasn't that the excuse you gave her when she was forcibly retired from the palace 9 years ago?" The normal lazy and mischievous Fritz is gone as his eyes pierces me with contempt.

In the past I received those eyes as a threat but now...

I mostly look at him with pity, though I still need to stand my ground.

"Fritz, we already talked about this at length in the past and there's no need to dig up old wounds again." I gave a sigh and then, "Even if your mother is sick, both you and I know very well that she's a master when it comes to the art of the spirits. It is only natural to ask for her help." I told him the harsh truth.

"I can do it!"

"I knew you for all 46 of my life Fritz, don't kid yourself."

After bantering back and forth.

"..." Finally, it seems like he calmed down. 

"Damn it." And he turns around and goes back inside the inner palace.

Before he left though he said this, "Even if my mother returns I refuse to let her take over my duties of taking care of the young lady."

As the knights and guards all make way for him, I look at his slumped back one more time. When did you become so invested in her Fritz? It's been so long since he has ever cared for someone in the palace.

But back to the present, "Sir Albrecht, should we kick the insolent elf out of your residence once again?" The knights have come forward and asked similar questions.

"Don't. Besides, even if he is a magician, you should all know who his father is right? I heard you knights even placed your swords in his statue as a tradition of good luck." The knights looked flustered.

"N-no I mean yes! Milord, we uhm..."

Well it's understandable that they all revere that elf's father.

"As knights, the tale of his deeds and accomplishments is known all throughout the land so we couldn't help but..." 

"E-especially as a commoner like me sire."

The knights all told their reasons, so it was my turn.

"Well that guy was personally trained by the sword by the Great Fang Friedreich himself. So don't think you can just get close and attack his blindspot like other magicians."

Gulp.

"W-we'll keep that in mind milord."

"But my lord, didn't Sir Friedreich die more than 30 years ago?"

"And when the master said trained, it must have been when the great fang was still in his prime..." 

"Just how old is that magician?"

And while the knights were gossiping with one another, "Lord Albrecht." One of my servants came.

"Lady Arianne is ready, milord."

"I see." And before anything else. "Oh yeah, give my child another layer of fur to cover her."

I don't know much about my own daughter but at least I know that she's extremely fragile.

"Oh…?" The servant was confused for a moment before, "Much obliged, milord." And the servant walked briskly back to the palace.

Now then, with everything fulfilled.

"Should I brush your mane in the meantime, horse?"

Neigh~~!

•••

"A winter wonderland…" I am speechless. 

Speechless as in not only being in awe at the sight of a genuine medieval-style city, but also…

What a beautiful place this is. 

There is only one problem. "Is it cold my dear?" The fact that my mouth and lips feel like freezing over.

"Y-yes father-r." Even with me wrapped around like a fur snowball I can feel the frost piercing me.

"..." He seems to be thinking about something. "Maybe I should use it after all." He muttered.

"...U-use what, papa?" I acted a bit cute by saying papa this time.

"Papa huh…" He definitely was affected by that; but just for a moment though.

"Arianne, I'll both be concentrating my powers while also steering this horse, so I apologize if I may be silent for a bit, you can look around the city if you want to." My father told me as he placed his hand to my shoulders.

Let's look around shall we? 

I followed what he said and took a look around.

So this is what a city in this world looks like huh… 

It's pretty impressive to say the least, each house has a high triangle roof to prevent snow from gathering, as sweepers go in and rake the snow off the sidewalks and alleys.

The houses themselves are a classic made of stone brick foundation and thick processed logs. It seems a lot of them even have these white panels covering the logs for even more insulation.

There are even entire rows of houses made entirely of stone bricks, it's truly impressive.

Contrary to popular belief a lot of people are going out and about their day despite it being winter, as the kids are even throwing snowballs around.

But, "Thankfully it's still the beginning of winter so the people aren't too worried." 

"T-then it'll get even more chilly father?" I ask.

"Yes." More than anything my father is blunt.

We travelled for a bit more after that and finally;

"Here you go my child." I looked behind and saw my father putting his palm on the top of my head.

He stared at me with his glowing magenta colored eyes, as he hovered his palm on my head and then I could feel myself…. warming?

Father so through my confused expression. "What you're feeling right now my child is our family's gifts, the blessings of the Geistein's to not fear the winter." 

When my father said that I look at myself, the cold that had pierced through me while wearing layers upon layers of fur had disappeared.

As someone from Earth I was shocked to feel this weird sensation upon me.

So I ask, "Father, is this magic?" It must be, it must definitely be magic!

But alas, "It's not magic, Arianne." My expectations were betrayed once more.

It's not? I thought. 

"It is similar to magic but a totally different entity altogether." He told me with a vague smile.

What is it then? My expression gives away my curiosity.

"It's called a gift to some and a blessing to others, either way these are powers that do not need the use of mana to be used. It is proof that our blood is blessed by God. There are other lords in this land that have these powers, but each one is unique." My father was getting immersed in telling me about these powers before he looks ahead and suddenly stopped his horse.

"I'm sorry my dear but we have to postpone our discussion, here we are."

Albrecht steps out of the horse, calming it down for a bit before our eyes lock in.

"Come down my dear." Dad is teaching out his arms to carry me down from the horse.

Once again I stare at my father once more, thinking; You seem so cold and distant before, but now…

His eyes that looked like a piece of dull gem has begun lighting up, (most probably from the power he used) his sleek back hair is now a bit messier because of the horse riding. And his face, which is like a chiseled but unmoving statue, has been flinching.

Flinching as in he's sometimes looking away from me, like he's uncomfortable seeing my face.

As Arianne, the daughter of this man, I would have been probably so confused as to why seemingly this person who seemed more like a stranger than a father would be acting like this.

But as Kim, who lived in his perspective, as a parent that already experienced raising two wonderful children, I could feel it.

He's uncomfortable that he's suddenly being a kind father to a child he's neglected for so long.

No matter how much of an adult you are, that would certainly feel awkward for anyone, let alone him.

He's breaking the tough shell he made just for me.

But...

"Dear?"

It seems that this body of mine, no, Arianne is hesitating to jump to him.

"Are you scared?"

My back is tingling, my heart is racing, my whole being is rejecting it.

'I still can't accept you!' It feels as if Arianne is telling me that from the bottom of her heart.

"I guess I should ask for a guard to bring you down huh…?"

Oh no. 

He's eyes are dulling.

And the arms that are reaching for me are slipping away.

Something tells me that if I don't accept this, there wouldn't be a chance like this ever again.

For the sake of me and Arianne, I'm sorry but—

"Father!"

I have to take this risk. 

"Wai—whoa!" My father must be so shocked right now.

A child as light as a feather rejected his hand, but instead jumped and gave him her whole arms instead.

"M-my lord!" The knights hiding until now jumped towards their master asap.

But, "Stop!" They froze.

"Shh..." His eyes flare up towards the knights and they kindly step back as to not invade the twos privacy.

"A-are you okay my dear…?" 

"...Yes, sorry I hesitated so much." I formally apologize.

It's hard to be a father, I know that more than anyone else.

"No my child, a Geistein shouldn't apologize for something they couldn't help with."

"Okay dad..." I genuinely called him that this time.

I hugged him tight, my arms covered his whole neck and he in turn, hugged me back.

"...More than anyone else, I should be apologizing to you my dear." He told me in a whisper, as he fully embraced me.

With that…

Sniff sniff...

The hesitation that both Arianne and Albrecht felt this whole time, broke down and for the first time.

"Waaaaahhhh…..!" I burst out Arianne's built up emotions all at once.

And with that, the first step is complete.

I'm sorry Arianne, but for our sake, we need to do this.

This might be scummy of me to do, but I need to repair these two relationships for us to survive, to be happy.

To live a life for myself, I need the help of others.

I don't care about it personally, but Arianne must.

"I love you, my child."

"I love you too dad."

In the cold white north, in the land of Geistein, two that would bring great changes in the not-so-distant future, starts with them warming their hearts to each other.

•••

"Hey Albrecht."

"Yeah?"

"Why are we eating cold treats in the winter?"

"Well it's delicious of course!"

"Why are we also hiding behind the vendor's house?"

"Well to hide from father of course!"

"...You know you'll give your father an early grave with your antics right?"

"Don't worry, he's a war hero after all so he shouldn't say hi to the arch-saintess just yet!"

"...Anyways, what if we get the sniffles after this?"

"Huh? I thought only dad gets sick all the time."

"Well I'm already feeling a little cold you know."

"Oh really?"

"Yeah, you know my body is—wah, what are you doing?!"

"I'm warming you up of course, didn't they say sticking together would share our heat together?"

"I know but isn't hugging a little bit too much?"

"You don't like it?"

"...I do but…"

"Then it's settled!"

"..."

"..."

"...I love you Aria."

"I love you too Albrecht, more than anyone else."

"Let's hang in here a lot shall we? This could be our little hideout!"

"Fufu...okay."

Hey everyone, I decided this for a while ago but I wanna continue this story, as in I would focus my attention here for the time being as there is a lot of interesting ideas that I thought of and want to explore in this series that I am unable to do on Black Witch. But I will not abandon it okay? The chapter is still on folder, there's just something there that's really hard to write about so yeah, anyways thank you all for your patience and arigatou! :) :D :P

4