Chapter 9: First Classes
455 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Fun fact: The reason why Mario is a plumber despite performing countless feats of heroism is because he's just a normal guy cleaning up other people's shit.

Sister Clementine showed me to my classroom. The school building was two stories tall and circumscribed a large plaza in the shape of a 'U.' It was a lot more modern than I had imagined, with it being a traditional school and all. The building was separated in the middle by a small cathedral. A large marble water fountain was in the middle of the stone plaza, and the buildings were adorned with metal garden benches. The wasn't a speck of trash anywhere in sight. With the opening ceremony over, the students were all heading towards the school building. I felt painfully conspicuous being surrounded by everyone. Sister Clementine talked as we walked.

"When I attended, the walls had the weight of age to them... although these new ones are really nice, too." She went on to tell me that it was very common for Vincennes staff to be alumnae. "90% of the staff here are former students. It's not unusual for three generations of a family to have passed through these halls. Naturally, the friendships made here endure as well. We are a community that transcends the relationships of school. This locker here is all yours, Seraph. Your textbooks should already be in the classroom. I'll be your homeroom teacher as well." Oh, thank fuck, that's a relief. "We'll be seeing a lot of each other." As we walk down the halls, I notice something strange. Seeing me perplexed, Sister Clementine enlightened me. "Oh, that's just an unused classroom. Prior to the rebuild, Vincennes only had six classes. But since we've been getting fewer and fewer students... that number dropped down to four. It seemed natural to change the building to reflect that, but..." They clearly didn't. There must've been some heated debate between the reformists and the traditionalists. "...Small communities have such a unique atmosphere. To change the building would be a significant change, don't you think?" I mindlessly nod in agreement. "Here we are. Beginning today, you'll be in class 2-C. Remember it well." 

I gently open the door. Every face turned to me. They were a mix of disgust and apprehension, and they all started gossiping in whispers.

"Oh my... he's in our class?"

"You've got to be kidding me..."

"I wonder where he's going to sit..."

"I don't care where he sits as long as it isn't anywhere near me."

Ah! I see Miss Sol! She's in the same class as I am! I'm saved! In a class like this, I'll be lucky if I'm not lynched. It's a lot better to stick with the people you already know in situations like this. I don't see any chance of making friends with anyone in the class. Sister Clementine walked to the front desk. I meekly follow after her. There was a pile of textbooks on the desk. They must've been mine.

"Everyone, I want you to take your seats," the Sister says. "It doesn't matter where." Chairs rattled as the students moved and sat at their own desks. The classroom fell silent. That kind of respect for authority is baffling to me. In any other school I've been in, the chatting would've continued on longer, or the teacher would've just been ignored. "I believe you all saw him at the opening ceremony, but you have a new classmate. Why don't you introduce yourself again?" I shake my head. I'm already quivering; there's no way I can talk. They're all staring daggers at me. I'd probably faint if I even tried. "Okay then... Now, where should we put you..." 

"Sister," Sol stood up immediately. "I believe it might be best if he sat beside me. I brought him here, after all." SOL TO THE RESCUE! 

"That is true," she agreed. "Well then, everyone. Please change seats to reflect attendance number, now." At her words, the students moved to their seats in silence. They didn't even hesitate. "Everyone in Vincennes knows each other's names and face on sight," she tells me, seeing me baffled with their efficiency. "They live together in dorms, too. They're a true Famille."

Famille. The French word for 'family.' I like the sound of that. 

The students finished taking their seats. "Now, Seraph," Sister Clementine patted the pile of textbooks. "Take these and head to your seat."

"Yes, Sister." I picked up the books and hurried to my desk next to Miss Sol, trying not to let the other students' glares break me. I was seated in the back row, second desk from the left. Sol was sitting on my left, and we exchanged pleasantries. To my right, I recognized the short girl from this morning who locked herself in her room when she saw me. A funny coincidence, since her dorm room was to the right of mine as well. She was sitting at attention and facing down at her desk, her small, quivering lips shut tight. Her fists were clenched so tight that her knuckles turned white, and I saw a bead of sweat form on her forehead. Same.

From there, morning homeroom began. It went about the same as it did in every other school I've been in, and Sister Clementine left the classroom after homeroom ended.


The school bell rang out, signalling recess has started. Usually, the class would be alive with chatter. But at that moment, it was dead silent. I have never in my life been as terrified as I am now. There's only one reason for it, and that reason is the demon sitting next to me. When I saw him this morning, I thought he was an evil man who made a deal with the Devil. But now that I get a closer look at him, I'm convinced that he is the Devil. No human should have a face like that! Not only do I have to try and sleep at night knowing he's right next door, but I also have to sit next to him for half of the day? I have the worst luck. But despite his sinister appearance and most likely equally sinister plans, our Soleil De École spoke to him anyway. 

"How was class? Did everything make sense?" The demon produced a small growl that emanated from his throat in affirmation to Sol's questions. "I'm glad to hear that. I'm sure that changing schools can be difficult in that regard." 

"My... Sol is just speaking to that boy..."

"She really is progressive, isn't she..." Unbeknownst to the gossipers, the demon glanced towards them. He's going to kill them. Will the blood from their massacre splash on me way back here?

"It's to be expected from your first day, after all," Sol shrugged, stopping the demon. "They'll get used to you, though." All of a sudden, the demon snapped his head towards the door and stared out into the hallway. I wasn't even being stared at, but his cold, sharp eyes petrified me. 

"What is it?" Sol asked. He didn't respond. "Seraph?"

"Oh... Sorry... It just felt like someone was watching me." 

"It does seem possible. For better or for worse, you are a person of interest now." Sol reassured the demon and chalked it up to his anxiety. Having other business, she left the room. Now there was no one to control this beast. Please don't do anything. Just keep my head down. If I don't look at him, he might not attack me. The class suddenly broke into even louder whispers. Curious, I turned my head towards the door along with everyone else. A group of students entered. Grande Fleur! 

"It's Grande Fleur!"

"What could La Grande Soeur de Toute possibly want with us?"

Grande Fleur walked in with her entourage. The most elegant, alluring and attractive girl in the school gracefully glided down between an aisle of desks to the back of the class, her long golden hair flowing behind her. She stopped right in front of the desk the dark, hideous demon was seated at. She must be here to exorcise him!

"Seraph Thorne. Might I request a moment of your time?"

14