Paradise, Part 4
1.8k 12 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5

 

Timeskip, 4 years

 

POV Iwao Oguro, The Former High-Speed Hero O’Clock

 

For a while it seemed as if life was over ever since that day. I used to be called ‘High Speed Hero O’Clock. Respected from all over Asia and hailed especially in China and Japan as one of the top Heroes the region has ever seen.

 

As a Hero dedicated for the people, I sacrificed everything I had for them. My mind, my body, and even the relations I had in order to save lives…and of course they supported my goal and job. It was natural after all, that saving lives should take precedence over anything.

 

It all came crashing down on that day when I came across the strongest being I have ever encountered. ‘All For One’ he introduced himself before plunging his fingers into my chest and forcibly extracting my quirk.

 

I resisted with all I had and activated O’Clock to its full potential. Big Mistake. O’Clock is a quirk that allows the user to stimulate the brain into going hypersonic (hyper perception) in which it feels as if time slows down around the user. Doing so simply intensified the pain tenfold as I had to endure the process for so much longer than it should have been.

 

Still, I resisted. I punched, kicked, stabbed, and resisted with everything I had. Once the man was done with taking out my quirk, he threw me like a rag doll where I had my face split open…leaving a giant red scar on my face that even Recovery Girl was unable to get rid of.

 

Forcibly retired and now out of a job, I had nowhere to go and nothing to do. Using the money I had saved I found myself visiting the liquor store more and more often. Relations with my wife and daughter became strained as I fell into depression and no longer being the father…or the hero I used to be.

 

Then out of nowhere, a beacon of hope appeared. It was a far light all the way from Europe (on the other side of the world) but it had to be done…as a former Pro Hero this was something I needed.

 

The GrandLine or GL for short was a relatively new company which rose to the position of a Mega Corporation in just three years and growing to challenge its influence with some of the largest Hero Associations in the World. For example the American Hero’s Association (in which America has decided to stand united with all their Heroes) or even UA.

 

They expanded quickly through unknown but massive funds breaking through all of their financial obstacles before releasing something called ‘Pandora’s Apple’ to the public which caused an absolute Uproar in the world.

 

A way for the Quirkless to hold a quirk. It was simply mind-blowing to think that something like that was possible to begin with. These Apples gave whoever consumed the first bite a quirk.

 

With the entire world and especially the quirk-less wanting a hold of this miracle fruit, the company soared in power and influence before they reached out to the medical field. Within a single year they had united Europe’s heal-based Quirks under their organization. Essentially holding a monopoly of all capable hospitals and their related businesses (pharmacies); not to mention their ‘Miracle Surgeon’ located in Switzerland where even the worst of the worst cases of patients were cured…for an astronomical sum. This solidified their position as a Mega corporation. The strangest parts were that, even to this day, nobody knew how GL made their apples or even who the CEO was. Only their COO Dr. Kyudai was known (as he was their public face) and the name ‘Ace’. Nothing else was known about the massive but secretive corporation. A feat capable only since they never opened up their shares to the public but still managed to gulp down and feast on the market like nobody else.

 

Despite the shady side of GL, I knew this was my only choice. Still, it was obvious that while GL was a heartless corporation, it was that the company loved and trusted money. After calling in a couple favors and reassurances from previous customers, I decided it was worth whatever was on the other side and booked myself a flight to Switzerland, the Headquarters of GrandLine.

 

Arriving at Zurich Airport I was guided by a man who led me directly to the largest building in town. By it’s shape and design, it reminded me quite a lot of All Might Tower which stood high and tall above the rest…as if to show it’s dominance.

 

Walking in through the (reinforced) glass doors I was welcomed with a wide and open Lobby filled with all sorts of State-of-the Arts technology placed around as decorations and things for people to marvel at.

 

A Large globe floated near the bright gold-painted ceiling as it slowly rotated and circled around the entire place. Places where GL has made their mark glowed prominently as if to highlight their presence…which it did.

 

There was a large screen showing the news of the day. It was another story of Snowfallen, the number 1 Vigilante of the world causing trouble in Eastern Europe. Apparently the entire Government Building disappeared only to be found days later in the arctic locked up in a glacier. Every single person, including the president and directors, frozen to death.

 

Me: …shouldn’t she be a villain with all of that under her belt…? *grumble* *grumble*

 

Turning my eyes back down to eye-level, I quickly found the busy reception and got in line. It was quite a sight to see so many people working and yet to have such a queue. A testament to how many people desire and need their services whether it be medical related or quirks.

 

After taking a number from the ticket machine and waiting for what seemed like half an hour, my number was called as I went up to the receptionist.

 

Me: Hello. My name is Iwao Oguro. I made a reservation about a month ago for a Pandora’s Apple.

 

Receptionist: One minute sir… *typing* *typing* Yes! We have you for today. Could you please show us 2 forms of ID and reservation to confirm?

 

I passed her my former Pro-Hero ID as well as my passport and the printed Reservation copy. She scanned over the IDs and reservation before putting them under a machine which glowed green before handing them back to me with a smile.

 

Receptionist: Welcome to GrandLine Headquarters Mr. Oguro. With your new quirk, I’m sure you’ll be back into Hero business in no time!

 

Me: I sure hope so. Sorry but what do I do now?

 

She handed me a few documents but on the top was a checklist. On the top written Floor 88 Room 101.

 

Me: I see, thank you for your help.

 

Receptionist: I hope you find what you came here for!

 

With a nod, she called out for the next number as I left to find the room written on the sheet. Thankfully, the signboards were written in multiple languages (including Japanese) so I found my way pretty quickly.

 

Entering the said room I was greeted with a common Doctor’s office. I half expected the place to be something different but on the other side of the desk (filled with paperwork) was a man who looked like a pre-quirk time period doctor.

 

I was just about to go out and check if I had entered the right room when the figure spoke to me.

 

Constantine: You must be Mr. Iwao Oguro. A pleasure to meet you, I am Dr. Constantine…and also one of the only doctors able to speak Japanese here.

 

He stood up and held out his hand and I walked over and shook it. A firm grip…a quirk? Something was a bit unnatural about the way he shook hands…and a bit too long as well. After an uncomfortable ten seconds, he finally let go and sat back down. Gesturing at me to take a seat as well.

 

Constantine: You must have felt it as well, no? I apologize for that. Simply put, it is the fastest way for me to assess your condition. Through physical contact, my quirk allows me to do a full scan on someone’s body.

 

While I sat down on a typical comfy chair, the doctor pulled out a file before going through them one by one.

 

Constantine: Well, no severe health issues really, though I do think you should cut back on the alcohol a bit. You are no longer at the age where you can drink like you’re in University.

 

He flipped a few more pages before continuing his little lecture.

 

Constantine: A time or perception based quirk…hmm…those are pretty rare actually but we have those as well so no need to worry. Of course, this is only if you would like to have the same type of quirk as before.

 

He closed the folder before looking up to see me in the eye.

 

Constantine: So, Mr. Iwao, what could we get you?

 

Truthfully, I didn’t do much research before coming here. I simply knew that they could get me a quirk for a lot of money so…

 

Me: I’m sorry. Could you explain all of this to me? I’m still very confused about all of this.

 

The doctor leaned back as a smile appeared on his face.

 

Constantine: Of course! It’s not often that we get a newbie like you here. As a doctor, it makes my job boring sometimes. They just walk in here and just ask for a specific fruit without question. Honestly.

 

He put his hand on the side self before pulling out a diagram. As he rolled it out, there were 4 fruits, each with different descriptions and title.

 

He pointed at the first one.

 

(A.N: Let’s pretend there was no inflation. Doing all of those calculations would simply be too tiring and make the scale look less impressive as well)

 

Constantine: There are always exceptions but this is the most expensive type of Pandora’s Apple we sell here. Very hard to make and also very effective quirk. Essentially, the holder of this quirk can turn themselves into an element and thus summon more as well as control it. In most cases, they become immune to most physical attacks. For example, have you tried and punch or slice sand? It doesn’t work. This is the Logia classification. Depends on the individual fruits but most of them start from a Hundred Million Euros. Last year we sold a highly demanded Logia fruit for 2.5 Billion Euros.

 

Hundred Million…!!! This was Euros we were talking about, not Yen. I didn’t have that much in Japanese Yen to begin with! I had nowhere near… my god…though if the quirk came with that amount of invulnerability then I could see why they would want it though…especially if they had the wealth. No wonder GL was rolling around in money!

 

Constantine: Next we have something called the Zoan. These have many sub-classifications that can raise or lower their prices. Some labeled as ‘Mythical Zoans’ or ‘Ancient Zoans’ can go up even beyond the Logias in their abilities and prices. Of course, they almost never appear on the market. Their prices are ridiculous so we simply put it up for auction. Now, for the rest of them are pretty common. Basically…it’s a transformation type quirk. Most of the time they are common animals as well. Dogs, cats, birds, you name it.

 

Me: Sorry…I was just too spooked by the prices of the Logias and the two types of Zoans. May I ask for this one?

 

Constantine: Oh, no worries. We start at around 300,000 Euros for normal Zoans. Of course, we know that this price would be no problem to you since you would have the backing of the Japanese Hero’s Association. In most cases, it’s Salaryman who pay for their children through their company. Well…if they don’t have that option we have partnered with a number of banks for loan options. Sorry, I was getting off topic.

 

300,000?! That would pretty much be my Hero annual salary during my peak years! ($364,764 US)

 

Constantine: Then we have a classifications in which we call ‘Paramecias’. Basically, this is the classification where pretty much anything else is sorted into. Mind control, partial transformation, basic strengthening, you name it. Due to the wide variety, prices vary greatly on this one. I believe that the fruit you are searching for should also be in this category.

 

Well yes. If I was going to look for something similar to my old quirk, then this was definitely the right category but I was curious about the last one. What was that one? The fruits even looked different. While the other three had a pattern of swirls or the like, the final fruit looked like it had polka dotted stickers all across the fruit.

 

Constantine: Ahh, you want to know about that one, do you? Well, this is our Mass Produced Fruit called SMILES. Basically, it’s a quirk where we stuff an animal inside of you. An entire sentient animal that you can use and summon parts of it out of your body. It’s the only type of fruit that we can produce in great quantities…and also the one with a fatal weakness.

 

Me: Weakness?

 

Constantine: Well you see. These SMILE fruits come with a great downside that the consumer loses their power and mobility when they are knee-deep in water. In other words…they can’t swim.

 

Me: How does that work?!

 

Constantine: Honestly, I don’t know. I’m not that high up to know the science behind the creation of these fruits. Well, because they are flawed and can be mass produced, they are usually sold for around 50,000 upwards. Of course, it depends on the animal but it is usually around that price range.

 

How interesting. I was no scientist and never would be but I was truly curious about how these miracle fruits were made. Were they naturally grown or were they artificially created and simply shaped like such?

 

Constantine: Ooh boy, I wouldn’t do that if I were you. Many have tried to steal our fruits to dissect it and find out its composition. Not even one succeeded…well, a couple of them managed to take it back but nobody managed to break it down anyway. Besides, the executives would have your head, national support or no.

 

Me: I…see. Well, thank you for your explanation doc. Could you look into the Para—what was that called again?

 

Constantine: Paramecias

 

Me: Yes. I would like something similar to my old quirk please.

 

The doctor turned to his computer and began looking at lines on lines of information before arriving at one and turning the monitor to face me.

 

Constantine: I hope this one would match your interests. I might even say that this one would be better!

 

Me: Mind-Mind Fruit…

 

Mind Mind Fruit

Classification: Paramecia

Overview: Greatly increases the control over the mind.

Main Ability: Greatly enhanced perception and processing. Skills can lead to ‘Bullet Time’ which makes it seem as if time is frozen while the user thinks in real time.

Side Ability: Manual control over Nervous system

Awakening: Telepathy

 

This…this was amazing! If what the description said was true, then this new quirk would be even superior to my old one.

 

Constantine: Like normal quirks, the more you use and train it, the more its capabilities will grow. Actually, it seems like this specific quirk even has an ‘Awakening’ which is the term we use for ‘Quirk Mutation’. That’s quite rare

 

Me: I would like this fruit please. The Japanese Government and Hero’s Association will pay on my behalf. Please give me this fruit!

 

Constantine: Very well sir, I shall reserve it for now and we’ll get on with the paperwork. Of course, I’m sure you’re aware of the golden rule of these fruits?

 

Me: Sorry? What rule?

 

Constantine: Well, I’m glad I’m telling you this before you consumed the fruit. Anyway, the basic thing is that you are to NEVER consume more than one fruit. You won’t just die. You will explode, PAINFULLY explode into little bits of blood and gore in a thousand different directions. Not even your bones will be left. Am I clear?

 

Me: …has there been a case?

 

Constantine: Unfortunately, yes. Two to be precise. We’ve specifically warned them not to as we’ve already expected the outcome but they’ve managed to come in with another ‘client’ and took a bite before the client ever got the chance. All those who were present to witness are now in therapy.

 

Me: Oh god…

 

Constantine: Exactly. Now, if you would please follow me.

 

Quite a strange place, this GL…but honestly? I had a mostly positive review of the place. It might be hiding quite a lot from the public but I could only assume that it was the people up there simply wishing to keep their lives private and uninterrupted. Besides, even though they are overcharging these quirks, at least they are offering an opportunity…the only chance and hope for the quirk-less to get a quirk in this discriminating and unforgiving world.

 

64