Chapter 5: Under The Starry Sky
827 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Content warning: violence.

Chapter 5: Under The Starry Sky. (POV: Evie.) 

“Don’t we all just want a shoulder to cry on? To know, that we’re not alone. Don’t we all just want to feel loved?”-The human heart, chapter 1, volume 2.

Evie found herself staring at her reflection in the small glass shard, but Instead of showing her features she’s used to, it revealed a classy, middle aged looking woman, with hair the color of freshly fallen autumn leaves. Her eyes each shone in a different color, one hazel gold, the other crystal blue. 

“Mum...” Evie whispered, a mournful look clouding her face. “Mum.”

She reached out to her reflection, placing the tips of her fingers on the shard. 

“I miss you…” She choked out a sob, her heart heavy with grief and guilt. 

“Is that even…” Evie shut her eyes. “That’s not your hair color is it? No…that’s what you told me to make my hair look like...isn’t it?...I..I can’t..can’t remember what yours was mommy..I’m sorry..” Her shoulders slumped, and with a shake of her head, the illusory magic was gone.

Evie wistfully thought back to her time with her mother, before she’d left her. when they’d go from city to city, adventure to adventure, her mother had been teaching Evie everything she knew, from the art of dancing to reading, writing, and learning how to control her abilities. 

But her favorite memories of her mother were from they’d go out to play. In the city streets, pranking anyone who deserved it, or frolicking through the forest during a game of fairy tag. When her mother was around she always felt happy and safe. 

She had always been happy if her mother was around to care of her. 

Evie’s shoulders slumped, her mother’s last words echoing within her head. 

“I love you, my little fairy.” She spoke softly, momentarily in her mother’s voice. Then she hung her head, hugging herself. “I love you too…I’m sorry I wasn’t good enough.”

She cast her eyes to the sky, at the soft purple colors dotting the dusk sky, surrounding the soft white sun like a crown of the angels. Evie still loved seeing the beautiful sunset every day, despite having seen it so many times before, from all her different rooftop homes. 

She sighed to herself then looked at the patrolling ironguard, her face distorted by hatred and disgust. “If I was a flameborn I’d burn you to scraps you monster.” She whispered, before dragging her eyes to the sky again. Desperate to forget her ravenous hunger for food and family. 

In a flash her vision was blocked by a seemingly endless murder of crows. flying past her at disturbing speeds. it should’ve been too fast for her to see but she swore every crow’s piercing eyes were pointed at her. They shrieked and wailed, then broke into hideous laughter that made her ears ring, until, as fast as they came, they were gone. 

She gasped for breath, and her eyes shot to the sky. but all she saw was the luminous full moon and dim stars in night sky. “Where? When did?..did I imagine that?…” she whispered to herself, her face draining of color.  

Evie’s stomach screamed at her, breaking her line of thoughts. “Quiet!” She hissed. 

Over the years Evie had grown to resent her stomach, it was like a foe she couldn’t outrun, an enemy she couldn’t outwit. No matter how far she’d run, her hungering stomach was always there, chasing her relentlessly.

And yet, her belly grumbled again. Evie shortly fought the urge to scream but before she even took another breath she gave in and shrieked, throwing a rusty, empty mug against the floor.  

“Please just shut up!!” She wailed, tears falling down her cheeks. “I…I just want something to eat…” She looked at her trembling hands, feeling anger twisting inside her. 

“Something to eat...anything..” Evie’s breathing quickened, her heart surging with a fierce, newfound determination to soothe her hunger.

She let out a deep sigh. Then Evie’s eyes widened at the scent of clam and various seafoods invading her nose. Her breathing quickened as hunger consumed her. “Ashes, I’m going to eat tonight!” 

With a deep breath Evie leapt from her rooftop. In her impulse she fell a distance that would’ve broken the legs of most, but she landed softly and silently in a alley, her pupils softly glowing daisy white in the dark. 

She emerged from the shadows, her eyes having lost their glow, disguised as a plain looking brown haired girl dressed in rough leathers. Easily missed in a crowd, and easily forgettable. 

Evie looked around her, and grinned when she took in the sight of a fog rolling in. 

She broke into a sprint, dashing into the fog. She could hardly see more then 25 paces in any direction but that hardly stopped her from running faster and faster. She’d spent years honing her senses and learning every corner and alleyway of Arivel’s slums and the market district in the harbor, they were so familiar to her now she could traverse them blindly. 

Evie spotted a stack of crates and effortlessly bounced over them. She sensed a large metallic object to her side, and instantly flicked her eyes to it, coming face to face with a stationary ironguard, hidden behind the crates. Her breath caught in her throat. 

Her body tensed, readying herself to flee. But the mechanical soldier didn’t move in the least. She looked at it closely, before smirking triumphantly. The fog had kept her safe and sound again. 

Evie stayed there for a short while, making funny faces at the motionless machine, just barely containing her giggles. 

Eventually she bowed theatrically, and ran off. “Must’ve been an older model.” She finally burst into laughter, enjoying the wind dancing through her hair and the little droplets of water on her skin. The feeling of being free. 

Evie halted her sprint, and jumped on a tall well, moving over its roof like a cautious spider. 

She looked around her, all too eager to find someone. 

Her ears perked up at the sound of a slurred, brash baritone, not too far away. “You know what? I say we just, put them down. Cirrians, Lyrians, those nasty Sylvari, all of them! they’re all animals. whole lot of em!” 

Evie’s eyes met the silhouettes of two guardsmen, dressed in faded Lisari leather armor, from the sounds of their voices they were quite drunk. 

“Mate, I’m with you.” His fellow guard replied, nearly stumbling to the ground. “I hate those..eh...what’s their name? They have em duskborn.” 

“Scathari! In their fancy crystal towers, emperor knows none of those savages are fit to rule a kingdom!” 

The men laughed boisterously, until one of them vomited on the ground. The other merely laughed and slapped his knee. 

She wrinkled her nose, and drummed her fingers impatiently. 

“You alright mate?” He hiccuped and reached to help his friend up, and Evie’s pupils dilated. With the wind in her back she dashed from the well and crouched behind a corner. 

“I’m fineeeee..” The guard slurred, before falling over and tackling his friend to the ground. 

She took a deep breath, and with a nimble touch snatched their coin purses before jumping on a roof to inspect her haul. Her fingers noticed the quality of the leather was much better then she was used to, but oddly enough she just found copper rioga’s inside of them. 

“Figures.” She grumbled, tying the purses to her belt and slid off the roof. 

“Lady, could you spare a coin?” Came a young, timid voice. “Maybe buy a few flowers? Please? They’re really pretty!” 

Evie sighed and sat on her knees in front of the child. “Look kid, if you’re gonna scam someone…” she gently took ahold of the hand that was reaching for her coin purses. “Do it right.”

She released her grip, her eyes softening. “You need to get their attention in a way that makes sure they won’t know your stealing from them. I suppose that’s rich coming from me…” 

The street urchin tilted their head. Evie’s eyes welled with tears, her lips curling into a sad smile.

“I’m sorry. You probably don’t know what I’m talking about, anyhow...the trick is in sizing up your mark. Follow them for a while, look at what they’re wearing, who they talk to and how. 

And especially how they move. That’ll tell you how wealthy they really are, and how to best distract them.” 

She rubbed her arm, fighting back the guilt stabbing at her heart. “The kind ones always have soft eyes, and well…they never suspect anything if they think you’re hurt or...helpless.” Evie glanced at the floor, wisps of sadness lurking in her eyes. 

“Sometimes they even let you get away it.” 

The child blinked, but listened intently. 

“What’s your name?” Evie asked, trying her best to give them a reassuring smile. 

“Attie.” The child squeaked, their big eyes glistening. 

“Well, Attie, if you keep your eyes quick, your hands quicker, and your feet the quickest I’m sure you’ll be okay.” She winked. “Here, I’ve got something for you.” 

Evie loosened the coin pouches on her belt, and handed them over to Attie. 

“Spend them all when you can, and try to sell the purses when you’re done. To a kind blacksmith maybe, it’s good leather.” 

The child’s eyes glistened with tears, and they embraced her tightly, before running off with a hopeful smile. 

Evie breathed a happy sigh, and rose to her feet. But before she could take a step she heard the shouting voices of the guards she robbed, coming closer by the sound of it. 

“Hmm.” She grinned evilly, and leaned back against the wall, her leg stretched out in front of her. 

The guardsmen clumsily ran around the corner and immediately tripped over Evie’s leg, both falling face first into a pool of mud. 

She giggled brightly, and gave the men a teasing little wave. “Have fun with the mud bath fellas! I hear it’s great for your skin.”

Evie ignored their drunken shouting, and continued her run into Arivel’s slums. Drawing a deep breath she smiled and sprung herself in the air, landing soundly on a abandoned building. 

She sat herself down on a ledge, and idly swung her legs as she surveyed the city, taking in the soothing sounds of the waves and the fresh smell of the ocean.  

It was a quiet night, despite the sudden increase in ironguard patrols and the fog rolling in. 

Almost too quiet, Evie mused. 

Her tummy roared at her, and she breathed a sigh in defeat. “Fine..you win..” 

She ran her hands through her auburn locks, and quietly hummed the lullaby her mother sang to her. 

Arivel was a terrible place for most, save for the upper class. It was known as the prize jewel and capital of the Lisari empire, housing grandiose buildings in the city center and tall, imposing manors on the hills. In stark contrast to the small, decrepit and forgotten buildings that dotted the outer reaches of Arivel, in it’s slums. 

The nobility enjoyed all the prosperity and wealth the empire had to offer, not to mention the protection of the ironguard. While the majority lower and even middle class lived as slaves. Others however, like Evie, lived lives mostly forgotten. 

She’d grow to hate the nobles, for their selfishness and their relentless pursuit of furthering their own wealth and ensuring none would get to their place, by controlling the worth of copper and silver rioga’s, while ensuring their plentiful loads of gold rioga’s remained the most valued. With the emperor’s blessing of course. 

Evie’s eyes fell on a tavern, and to the ironguard standing outside of it. She gritted her teeth and waved a hand over her face, and with that, the magic disguising her vanished into colorful wisps. There was no hiding from an ironguard.

With a sharp exhale she rose, her hands balled into fists.

“Let’s see you catch me you monster.” 

A stray raindrop fell from the sky, and by the time it hit a roof she was already on the ground, throwing a rock at the mechanical soldier. 

“Changeling bandit sighted.” It’s distorted voice ignited a blaze in her eyes. “Cease resistance and face the emperor’s justice.” It slowly turned its limbs, reading its sickeningly sharp blades. “Or meet the gods, delinquent.” 

Evie spat, but her attempt only made it a few tiles away from her. “Attempt at disrespect noted, updating criminal records.” She threw another rock at its bulky head. “Fire take you scrap-bucket! Come get me then!”

 A whirring sound echoed from its torso. “Combat protocol 6.” 

She stuck out her tongue, and dashed in an alley. The machine jumped high in the sky in response, landing but a few inches next to Evie. 

She cartwheeled backwards, deftly dodging its slicing attacks. 

The ironguard thrust it’s blades forward, but she avoided them easily by simply hopping in front of the metallic creature. 

The machine however, closed its swords around Evie’s back and swiftly dragged her to its chest. 

“Quarry captured. Initiating neutralization.” A high pitched hissing noise, and little clouds of steam emanated from its head. But before the mechanical monster could do as it wished she spat on its visor and squirmed herself free. 

“Don't be so cocky, you’re just a walking trash can!” She shouted from the top of her lungs, hoping to disguise the terror running through her. Evie never wanted them to know she was afraid, not if she could help it.

The machine opened its head and released a searing barrage of steam, mere inches away from her feet. 

“Neutralization, failed. Analysis required.” It’s twisted limbs began to slowly march towards her as its polished blades dragged across the ground. 

Evie drew her lips back in a snarl and quickly turned around, before dashing off with a gust of wind. 

“Preliminary analysis suggests powered quarry is in possession of windborn powers, however previous records indicate quarry is also in possession of faeborn powers. Updating criminal records.”

The ironguard stood in place, a low humming noise echoing from its chest. 

“Combat protocol 9.” 

It’s chest separated, revealing an pylon charged with electricity. 

Moments later a howling bolt of lighting shot out from the ironguard, reaching towards Evie with a flash.

She grinned then tumbled on her hands away from the bolt and tried to leap onto a short side roof. But she missed her mark and fell on the ground, groaning. 

“Piss!!” 

The machine closed in, still patiently marching. “Quarry injured. Probability of successful capture or neutralization increased by 24%.” 

“We’ll see about that.” She mumbled, her eyes flashing with fury.

She listened carefully for the ironguards movements, then clenched her jaw. 

Evie pulled herself up and jumped in the air, landing on a rooftop. 

But before she could recover her breathing the mechanical creature was already staring her down on the rooftop. 

Evie’s hands clenched into fists. “One shot…” she whispered, dropping herself off the building only to kick her foot against its side, bouncing herself to the tower opposite it. 

She met the tower’s surface, and for a brief moment her blazing eyes met the ironguard’s. Then she soared, leaving a shockwave of wind behind, shaking the tower to its core. 

The machine tried to shield itself, but Evie’s force and momentum prevailed, and the ironguard fell in the sea. 

She fell off herself, but in a blink she grabbed the roof’s ledge, and climbed back up.

“It’s okay Evie, you’re alive.” She whispered, releasing a breath she hadn’t realized she was holding in. “You’re gonna eat.” 

She calmed her breathing and hopped off the roof, running straight for the tavern with a triumphant grin on her lips. 

Evie stopped just short of the decrepit door, glancing at her trembling hands. “I wish I could disguise myself...” she rested her forehead against the door for a moment, closing her eyes. “I shouldn’t risk it...” 

A rogue droplet of blood trickled down her nose. She let out a gasp, quickly wiping the droplet from her face. After gawking at the blood stain on her sleeve for a few minutes she released a deep, steady breath, and ducked inside. 

The tavern was busy. Too busy for most folks to notice the barefoot girl, as she moved her way through the laughing, drinking crowd like a fleeting shadow. 

Evie brushed through a group of drunken mercenaries, taking their dangling coin-purses. 

She likely could’ve stolen every last purse in the establishment. Most of the folks here were bold with their coin. Especially since most of the sailors and mercenaries passing through Arivel weren’t here long enough to know just how rampant theft and pickpockets are. 

But she knew that if her thieving went too far, it would just bring more attention to her, and the wrath of Arivel’s guards and mechanical soldiers. 

Her tummy growled at her, and with a determined breath she moved over to the counter. 

“What can I get ya, lass?” The bartender’s raspy voice carried over the bustling crowd of people. “Hey Baird, clam and eggs!” She chirped and suppressed a squeal. 

“You got it Evie. That’ll be 35 coppers.” He shouted at the kitchen for her food then turned around and gave her a warm smile. 

Evie fluttered her lashes, “I can’t persuade you to make it a few coppers less? I’d love you for it!” Baird’s expression hardened. “Well...”

She furrowed her brows, sadness gleaming in her eyes. “Baird…I can’t just...” She hung her head, avoiding his gaze. “Keep doing that...” 

The bartender sighed, desperation edging his voice. “Please, I’ll do anything I just want to see her one more time. Please...let me see my sister.” 

Evie shut her eyes, and solemnly shook her head. “I can’t, it would just hurt you more. I’m so sorry.” 

Baird stared ahead, his mind a thousand miles away. “I suppose I understand...” 

He set his jaw and wandered off, suddenly content to focus on cleaning mugs. 

She put a small bag of coins on the counter, then rested her arms and chin on it, her mind wandering to her mother. 

A clanking sound snapped Evie out of her daydream. “Your clam and eggs.” A woman dressed in a apron dropped a plate of food next to her before sauntering off.

She devoured the eggs as fast she could, practically inhaling them. And likewise slurped the clams empty. Her heart was singing with joy as she felt her hunger fade, just for a moment. 

A faint glint caught her eye, and she froze. She’d recognize that glint anywhere, a gold rioga. Evie turned around in a blur of movement, and gawked at the oversized coin purse dangling off the man dressed in fancy clothes with awe. 

She silently stepped over to the man, to the oversized coinpurse, dangling teasingly off his belt. Her breathing was sharp and rugged, but her fingers were as steady as ever. 

She’d been picking pockets, stealing and pranking since she was but 10 years old, so she knew far better then stealing a nobleman’s purse. She still has the scar on her shoulder to remind her of it, but a few coins just peeking out of a purse wouldn’t be missed would they?

She salivated, licked her lips and carefully studied her mark. 

The man was as tall as a mountain, and certainly as bulky as a fortress. Evie readied herself to run as fast as her legs could take her. 

Drawing a quiet breath, she tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear and tilted her head to listen to the tall man’s conversation. 

“I don’t know Fia, it doesn’t seem to be working. I can’t find this girl anywhere.” His loud voice startled her but she stayed silent. somehow his voice carried over the crowd, she could probably still understand him perfectly much further away, but the gold rioga proved too tempting for her to leave. 

“How are you supposed to find a Faeborn anyway? I don’t know about you but I’ve got a much better time tracking down Duskborn or Sirenborn.” 

The girl next to him sighed and rubbed her temples. “I know it’s hard but we’ve gotta keep going. I mean you know rare Faeborn are? And now there’s a Faeborn girl right here in Arivel. We can’t give up now, and keep your voice down!” She hissed. 

The man grunted and stared down his rusty mug of ale. “I am.” He grumbled. 

Fia put her hand on his shoulder and gently rubbed it. “We’ve been through this Locke, talk as if you’re whispering. What if there’s a off duty guard here?” Locke scoffed then nodded and drained his mug. “We’re never going to find her. So we should consider other options.” 

Evie shook her head, tuning out of their conversation then skirted around the table and nimbly snatched the coin faster in a blur of movement. 

She put her hand over her mouth and stared at the gold rioga with an almost gleeful madness in her eyes. Her eyes darted at the man, just for a second, then back at the coin. 

She slid her fingers over its faded edges, testing its authenticity. Having decided it’s real she flew back into the crowd, giggling softly to herself. 

A firm hand grabbed her arm and effortlessly pried open her fingers, snatching the coin. 

“I thought you were sharper then this Locke, you got pickpocketed by a starving girl.” 

Evie froze. The only times she was ever caught before was by ironguards, she didn’t even really hear the man’s reply, just a muffled apology. 

“You’re better off In a orphanage girl.” Evie felt a wave of nausea surging through her, she’d throw herself at the ironguards before going back there.

She stared wordlessly at Fia, her face paling like winter snow. “Wait…” Fia stared into Evie’s eyes then tilted her head and sniffed. “I know that scent…” 

Recognition flashed in her Emerald eyes. “You’re-“ “A pickpocket!” A woman’s voice shrieked. “That girl’s a pickpocket!” Fia gawked at the woman, uncertainty written all over her face. 

In a split second Evie bit Fia’s hand, plucked the coin from the air and broke into a sprint. 

Fia grunted then chased after Evie, yelling at her friend to fetch some ropes. “Wait!” She shouted. “I won’t hurt you! We won’t hurt you. Just stop so we can talk!” Evie felt tears streaming down her cheeks, her hair whipping wildly in the wind. “LIAR!” 

She spun on her feet and slid into a uncomfortably small side passage. “Please! We won’t turn you over!” She stopped for a small second, then clenched her jaw and moved on. 

She shimmied through the passage and looked for a way to get on the roofs.

Before she left the side passage her eyes shifted to the sound of another’s heartbeat, likely Locke’s. 

She spotted a bucket in the corner of her eye and without hesitating she used the cover of a shadow to disguise herself as Fia.“Wha-“ she didn’t let him finish as she grabbed a bucket of what she hoped was water and threw it in his face then bonked him over the head with it and dashed off with lightning speed. 

She turned a corner, changing back into herself then took a sharp breath and steeled her resolve, hastening her pace, running faster and faster with each breath until she was covering dozens of tiles with each step. 

Evie’s eyes sparkled with joy when she saw her rooftop.

She lightly stomped her feet on the ground and sprung herself in the air, soaring through the cold air all the way to the safety of her rooftop, where she twirled with joy but mid-twirl she lost her momentum and fell on her back, groaning loudly. A wave of nausea crashed through her. 

“Rough landing eh? I hope you’re not hurt.” Fia spoke softly, and kneeled In front of her. 

Evie’s heart raced as fear clawed at her throat. But before she could react she went into a coughing frenzy, until she vomited on her rooftop. Exhaustion overtook her, as Evie’s vision turned black.

“Bad moment for a betrayal to show up. I wonder what you’ve been up to, to get one...”

Fia inched closer and bound Evie’s hands and feet then effortlessly slung the unconscious girl over her shoulder. 

She stepped off the roof and landed on the street with a loud thump, breaking several tiles. 

“Fia…” Locke spoke with a scolding tone. 

She gave him a disapproving frown. “What? No one saw us did they?” He shook his head, folding his arms. “Not this time. but remember yesterday? You riled up half the district’s guards.” 

Fia shrugged her shoulder. “Wasn’t my fault I accidentally slapped an ironguard into the sea.” “-and three guards.” Locke interrupted. “And the stall they were standing in front of.” Fia grinned devilishly, “But the lady they were harassing was okay! Besides I payed her back.”

Locke massaged his forehead. “We don’t have time to argue this. Let’s just go.” 

Fia chuckled. “Right! Wouldn’t wanna run into your magical killer birds. How scary!” She wiggled her fingers around in a mocking gesture. 

“Enough Fialyn.” His expression softened as he looked at Evie. 

“Let’s get her someplace safe.” 

                                                     

25