Chapter 382 Nerissa’s decision
3.5k 1 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nerissa had seen with her own eyes what this newcomer could do. 'I can do a reverse summon on Emily... But I doubt an avatar of hers could prove enough against this person.' She mulled over multiple possibilities, ranging from summoning Emily's contracted beasts to reverse summoning the grand mage herself. Such was the direness of their situation. 

Naila meanwhile remained unaware of those deliberations by the little water spirit. Frankly, even if she was aware, it would have hardly evoked a reaction from her. Casually strolling through the jungle of dead vines, she reached the center and took hold of a body, carrying it outside. 

Watching the nonchalant centaur put the human woman's body on her shoulders and walk back in their direction, Linda and Yalda felt like the air was too heavy to breathe. Nerissa meanwhile floated to place herself between the grown centaur and Ryu with his young centaur lass. 

"Does anybody care to tell what is happening here? I sensed a strong Demonic presence from this location, was it this lady?" Naila was the monarch here, shooting questions while not bothering herself with Nerissa's recent movements, much to the relief of the water spirit. 

Had the centaur woman shown any aggression towards them, Nerissa would have had to abandon the lives of everyone else and only pull Ryu through her spirit gate and into her realm. While the spirit realm's climate was hostile to humans, it would have been her only choice to save the boy. 

Then again, taking into account Ryu's odd friendship with the younger centaur lass, peace must still be an option. "That's right. She is your culprit." Aware that Linda and Yalda were staring in her direction, Nerissa cleared her throat and answered neither too proudly nor too subserviently. 

"Hmm.. a water spirit.." Naila gave a nod, then took her time inspecting the small creature hovering between herself and her niece like a protective hen. Since Darla was a centaur, she must be trying to cover for the human boy instead. 

"I can sense you are strong. Can I dare to presume you are contracted with Mrs. Emily of the Cylon Empire? Miss Nerissa... I believe?" Naila being aware of her identity came as no surprise to Nerissa. Rather, it was the humans who knew very little about the experts in the beastmen camp, especially among the neutral tribes, centaurs who rarely clashed with any other powers. 

"Indeed." Was Nerissa's short answer. "Can I be privileged enough to know who we are speaking to?" Despite this momentary truce between them, the water spirit was on her toes at all times, ready to block the centaur woman for a second which will give her time to kick Ryu into the spirit realm. 

"You need not be worried. I am not a hostile party." Naila was aware how a weaker individual was always going to perceive a stronger person with some amount of suspicion. That's why she just shrugged her shoulders reassuringly. 

"I am Naila from the centaur tribe. Had the water mage been here, I would have certainly sought some pointers from her.. but it can't be helped." As expected of a powerhouse, no one else could probably throw in Mrs. Emily's name with such casualness.

Technically, Naila had a lot to discuss with Emily. She had a hunch the water grand mage must have been the one who confronted the demonic entity last time. While there were signs that the woman on her shoulders too had delved into Demon magic, she can't possibly be the same person who fought against the grand mage. She was just too weak.

This had been another reason why Naila was accommodating towards these humans. The first reason was definitely her neice who chose to abandon her aunt in a drop of a hat as soon as she discovered her lover. Though a little grievanced in her heart, it's not like Naila was unaware of teenage love.

Meanwhile, Nerissa was in a dilemma. As a spirit, she can't sustain her body for too long in this world. Her time as a summon was limited in the first place and now when Emily had sent her so far away from her body, the summoning magic was struggling to keep her away from the spirit realm. 

It wasn't Emily's fault. With Nerissa's level of strength, she would have been assured that her water spirit can make quick work of any threat her grandson might face. No one could have expected such a bizarre turn of events that will come to involve a demonic person as well as a powerhouse of the centaur tribe. 

To Naila's credit, Nerissa was acutely aware that things would not have been this peaceful had she not been from the centaur tribe that didn't seek world domination. Right now, the water spirit must make a difficult decision of whether to drag Ryu with her or believe in this new lover of his. 

"She is a friend, Miss Nerissa." Ryu came across the troubled glance of Nerissa and somehow he could sense the concerns behind her gaze. "My name is Darla.. miss. Ryu is very dear to me." The centaur girl nodded rapidly to give credence to the human's words. 

Being the daughter of the mighty leader of the centaurs, Darla had the same level of haughtiness seeping into her bones. Yet, when she spoke with the water spirit, her tone was mellow and subdued. 

The first reason for such a response was the fact that even her aunt held a conversation with this spirited girl as an equal. Secondly, Darla was subconsciously looking at Nerissa like a senior of Ryu. 

In turn, Nerissa tossed her head to stare deeply at the most interesting character present. "Haha.. now I understand what is going on here." For the first time since she had been here, Naila chuckled lightly as things made sense to her. 

"Mrs. Emily must have summoned you to protect this boy. It makes me wonder if he has some kind of relationship with her." Naila brooded. Why else will a grand mage send possibly their most powerful companion spirit in defense of a kid?

"I am Ryu madam, Mrs. Emily's grandson." Contrary to Nerissa who was still not very comfortable in this setting, Ryu was completely trusting of Darla. The kind of bond he had come to share with this young centaur meant he was not in any danger. 

He had just seen the extraordinary strength this older centaur woman displayed. Such a show must have unnerved Nerissa. "Oh... I did have such a hunch." Leave aside Naila, even Darla was surprised to hear the news. Ryu turned out to share such a close relationship with a grand mage. 

   

"Are you sure about this? My summoning spell is running out." Naila must have anticipated this already so Nerissa had no qualms admitting to her apparent disadvantage. "If you want, I can still forcibly take you away. Make your decision now." Nerissa had placed her cute arms around her chest, taking up the appearance of a senior. 

Darla didn't say anything, but a smile bloomed on her face after Ryu's next words. "Please let me be here. I still have friends who need my help." It's evident that Naila's presence did not faze the young lad. 

Nerissa sighed. "Then I shall leave these guys in your care, Mrs. Naila." She deliberately put the onus of the humans onto the centaur woman, causing her to reveal a simper. "I can do that.. what's more, I shall take responsibility for delivering the boy safe and sound back to his residence. In return..." 

Naila stretched her sentence, gauging Nerissa's response. "Tell me, what you want in return. I shall pass it on to Emily." This conclusion was even better for the water spirit. Instead of hoping for the best, this way she can secure a deal with the centaur powerhouse. 

"Hahaha... Nothing much. Since I am going out of my way to look after a kid. Mrs. Emily must exchange pointers with me, next time we meet." Owing to Darla's obsession with the human boy, Naila knew very well she will have to safeguard his life whether she wanted it or not. Then why shouldn't she take some advantage of this situation? 

Nerissa had half-expected this demand. Beastmen were crazy for fights, especially against famed opponents. This was the best deal she could have struck in these adverse circumstances. "You got it. Please allow me to leave now." 

Nerissa took one glance at the boy standing behind her and then floated away without saying another word to him. She gently hovered over to the sole silent watchers of this development. "May I know the names of you two brave ladies?" 

Linda hurriedly bowed in respect of the water spirit. Every citizen of the Cylon Empire held a deep reverence for the grand mage Emily and her companion spirit was no different. "This servant is Linda Wilders and this is my maid, Yalda." 

"Wilder clan." Nerissa's expression changed for a brief moment, however, she didn't let it impact her amicable disposition. "You did a great deed, Linda. I saw it all. Truth is, I had been summoned way back when you began your fight. However, I waited for the situation to get worse before making my appearance.. such were the commands from my summoner." 

Her revelation brought on an embarrassed smile to Linda's face. Doesn't that mean her struggles against Paula were totally in vain? If Nerissa had been there, they were never in real danger. 

"Don't let this fact dissuade you. Truth is, you have done yourself a great favor. Not many people have the guts to stand for the weak, more so against someone possibly stronger than themselves. This deed of yours must be brought to the notice of the Royal Court by Emily." 

Linda and Yalda can't help but bow at right angles toward the spirit maiden. Those were some big words. "I just hope my actions did not disappoint my lady." The warrior of the Wilder clan was yet to cover herself since her top was destroyed in the struggles against Paula. Thus, most of her wounds were visible to everyone. 

"Not at all, dear." Nerissa's dangling feet had started to disappear, pointing to the fact that she was reaching the link of her summoning period. "Keep up the good work." Slowly she floated downwards and put her hand over Linda's forehead. 

The lacerations across Linda's muscular body rapidly closed up, followed by the healing of the puncture wound in her chest. Needless to say, Linda was left gasping in a pleasant surprise. "Thank you so much, my lady." With a small nod, Nerissa's body finally disappeared completely.

The very next moment, Ryu came rushing to the two individuals. "Please accept my sincerest gratitude, madams. Both of you saved my life." It was the truth. Had it not been for Linda holding his kidnapper off for so long, god knows where he would have been right now. 

"It's okay, kid. It's our responsibility to come to the rescue of a junior." Linda came forward to ruffle the head of the boy. Although she was still on edge after the strange phenomenon caused by the kid. From his appearance, he was no doubt a human boy who suffered greatly for no fault of his own. Yes, once his parentage was brought to her notice, Linda believed a demented Mrs. Paula must have targeted him for his relationship with the grand mage. 

On the other hand, though Ryu was relieved things had taken a turn for good, he didn't forget about those still relying on him. They were none other than the villagers he foolishly brought along with him. 

<<Further chapters are available on my patréon. If you like the work I produce, subscribe at https://www.patreon.com/slayer104>>

20