Chapter 103: A glimpse of my true power
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shadow Leo headbutted a Legion robot and threw another one across the room. Meanwhile, Shadow Merryweather was cutting down Legion robots and Shadow Shiki and Shadow Miyuki were teaming up.

One of the Legion robots dodged Shadow Leo’s Wild Sword Style. In response, Shadow Leo switched to Oni Rush and severed its legs. Shadow Merryweather used Wild Sword Style to catch his opponent off guard and immobilize them.

“You may… have… data about us… But can you gather them… in time… before the other masters defeat… your Legion?” I asked Rikka.

This body is weird but at least I’m having fun!, Shadow Leo shouted.

It’s been a long time since I was on a battlefield, Shadow Merryweather said.

Focus, you two. We have to finish this quickly, Shiki told them.

Shadow Yoclesh freely switched between Wild Sword Style and Oni Rush as she made her way towards Rikka. With Shadow Jihn supporting her, they were getting closer towards our opponent.

However, Rikka snapped his finger and several Legion robots blocked their paths and waited for them to get closer. Even though I wasn’t an expert tactician, I could see what he was trying to do.

My body was heating up as the headache was making me feel like my mind was being split into eight other parts. It got harder to breathe and my sense of touch was going numb.

“Can you last long enough until the masters defeat the Legion?” Rikka asked.

Grand Heal, Ars’ voice echoed in my mind.

A warm feeling wrapped my body as a glowing white light surrounded me. The warm feeling subsided and the headache became bearable. Thanks to Ars, I could push my body beyond the limits and buy more time.

“I see. With the Archmage Ars around, she can heal you once your body is in tatters. That is an ultimate move fitting for you, Mikage Kamishiro”, Rikka said.

He took the bluff. So much for being the Core Mind, Merryweather sighed.

While it’s true that Ars was healing me, it would only add more burden to myself. After all, the mana she used was mine. Synchronicity would only hasten my mana production and if I overwork it, I might strain my body and weaken my Life Force.

But that was fine since I had an infinite Life Force. Even if I cough blood or if my heart stops beating, I can’t die. Although living like a zombie or a ghost might be weird, I don’t think that was what’s going to happen to me.

Wooh! The Legion is fun to fight with! Shadow Leo cheered.

They are more challenging than the soldiers from the Dark Times, Yoclesh said.

And with Mikage’s request, it’s harder to fight them, Jihn added.

When I founded Rivella, I also had battles with these limits, Miyuki told them.

Ummm… It’s hard to focus if you guys talk like that in my mind, I spoke up.

Sorry about them. They are warriors who enjoy the battle, Ryuuki said.

I’m surprised how they were even considered as battle mages, Ars sighed.

More and more Legion robots were defeated as the masters swept through the battlefield. Shadow Shiki and Shadow Miyuki were fighting alongside Ayame, Shadow Ryuuki was supporting Kanata, Shadow Merryweather led Rushia’s skeleton army, and Shadow Leo was having a contest with Ollie.

Shadow Yoclesh and Shadow Jihn stopped when the brown-haired robot girl got in their way.

Hey, hey. This is going to be tough, Jihn groaned.

“Mission: Protect the Core Mind”, that girl said.

Her arm turned into a cannon and fired at the two of them. However, Shadow Jihn and Shadow Yoclesh managed to dodge in time. Shadow Yoclesh drew close and tried to use Oni Rush but the girl just sidestepped. Even though Shadow Jihn was there to attack her, she moved away as if she predicted his action.

At least, the two of them were managing to avoid that girl’s attacks too. But it was a total stalemate since she also predicted Shadow Yoclesh and Shadow Jihn’s attacks.

I get it… It’s all up to you now, I said.

Grand Slow! 

After Ars’ voice rang in my mind, a magic circle appeared underneath the brown-haired girl. Shadow Yoclesh then dashed ahead while Shadow Jihn blocked her.

“You said that the… Legion can predict… fighting styles and patterns… right?” I asked.

Mist of Deceit!!! Ars shouted.

She didn’t have to make a long chant like Temma. All Ars had to do was to shout out the name and her magic enveloped the entire battlefield. Several copies of the masters, Ayame, Ollie, Rushia, and Kanata were all over the place. I couldn't see myself because I became invisible.

Do you think you can predict which magic I shall use next? Ars scoffed.

Rikka can’t hear you, shorty! Noir chuckled.

So even Ars can get excited, huh? Merryweather asked.

But that little show of strength only quickened the time limit. My mana production was already at dangerous levels and without Ars’ healing magic, my body was nearing its limit.

Just one more minute… I need one more minute, I thought.

I’m stopping this, Mikage. You’re too overworked. You might not die but that doesn’t mean you will be alive! You might become an empty husk! Anya shouted.

Just one more minute! The masters can win in just a minute!

But-

Sheesh. You two are bickering like siblings! Noir chimed in.

If you have any funny ideas, now’s not the time, Noir! Anya said.

Okay. My funny idea of helping Mikage shouldn’t be heard.

What do you mean by that? I asked.

Not sharing my funny ideas cause this is not the time, Noir answered.

NOIR!!! Anya shouted.

However, there was no response. 

My nose began to bleed as my vision was slowly getting hazy. The buzzing noise in my ears became louder and I could feel my arms and legs going numb.

I’m sorry… Please tell us how to help Mikage, Anya said.

Oh dear~~ The legendary Anya Melfissa is asking for help from me! I guess I can spoil my niece for a bit! Noir chuckled.

And after he said those words, my body was no longer in pain. No… I felt stronger than before.

“What’s going on?” I asked.

Hey, Mikage. Where do you think the Dark Corruption you absorbed is being stored? Noir asked back.

Oh…

I closed my eyes and felt it. Right inside me, there was a massive concentration of the Dark Corruption. No… It was inside me all along. That thing was always making snide remarks and making trouble to everyone.

After taking a deep breath, darkness oozed out of my body. The masters’ movements became smoother and they managed to land blows.

I like this body now! Leo shouted.

Interesting. The Dark Corruption can be used like this? Ars asked.

Then this is all I need! Yoclesh said.

Shadow Yoclesh got close enough to Rikka and pinned him to the ground. And with her sword pressed on his neck, the fight was as good as over.

“If the Core Mind is destroyed, the Legion will not function. Wanna know if that’s the truth?” he asked.

“Half-truth. The power of the Legion is because of the analysis of the Core Mind. If you get destroyed, they are just a group of golems”, I answered.

I walked towards him and the Legion didn’t block my path. They knew that one wrong move could make them lose all hopes of victory.

“So what are you going to do now, Mikage? Are you going to destroy me like what you did to the Legion?” Rikka looked at me.

Shadow Yoclesh let him go and pointed at the remains of a golem that fought one of the masters. It was squirming on the ground without arms and legs. Every golem that fought them were all immobilized one way or another.

“You… didn’t destroy them?” Rikka asked.

“I commanded the masters to not destroy them. That’s why they had a harder time”, I answered.

“But why?”

Ayame and the others walked towards me and I got out of Synchronicity. With that, the masters also disappeared and the battle was truly over. Even Rikka no longer wished to fight and he just stood up while looking at me with a confused expression.

“You said you’re able to live this long because you have ‘something.’ And that something is the legacy of your creator. The reason why the Legion is still functioning and the reason why you can continue living is because you are protecting that ‘something’, right? You maintain them every day and that’s how you are able to continue living”, I said.

“So what if I am? What is it to you? Are you going to say things like ‘I won’t take ‘something’ from my friends’? Are you going to make me stop doubting you over some baseless construct like morals?” he asked.

“I know what it feels like to have ‘nothing.’ That’s why I can see the importance of the ‘something’ you have. I don’t want my friends to feel that pain.”

Rikka’s eyes narrowed and I had an idea that he was scanning me with whatever sensors he had. After a minute of silence, he sighed and raised his hands.

“I give up. I see no point in continuing this”, he said.

His fist touched my chest and he smiled. Unlike the smiles he showed me before, it looked like he was finally satisfied with my answer.

“It’s not that I’m stopping this because I have no resources… I’ll choose to believe the words that ‘Mikage Kamishiro’ is saying. That's what a friend would do, right?” Rikka asked.

“And yet you talked about how morals are just a baseless construct”, Kanata muttered.

“Of course! The difference between machines and living creatures is the concept of ‘empathy.’ Morals are based on that concept so at the very least, I’ll do what Arief wants his creations to do…”

Rikka looked at the immobilized remains of the Legion. I commanded the masters to not destroy them but Ayame, Ollie, Rushia, and Kanata weren’t really in the mood to spare them.

“I’m sorry… It’ll be hard to repair them”, I said.

“Don’t worry! Maintaining them has been boring! I have a new project to keep myself busy now so I should be thanking you!” Rikka laughed.

“If it helps, I know a certain knight captain who would be thrilled from seeing these magical technology. If I’m done with the Unkindness problem, I’ll ask for his time.”

“Alright… That’s a promise then!”

At that time, I just casually made that promise… But I didn’t know that it was a huge “IF.”

0