Chapter 47 – More Guns Than People To Use Them
494 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The following morning, Alice and Zeel woke up in each other's embrace.

They felt more energized together than they had been in the months apart.

After getting dressed and making sure all indications of their wild night was hidden from view, Alice and Zeel made their way outside into the corridor.

"Quite a lively night you guys had there," Luther said passing by the same time the duo exited their love cave.

Zeel felt the need to point out that he also heard Luther and Crystal having a wild night, but refrained from commenting on the mating rituals of primitive creatures.

"I have never heard such a beast before in my life," Chris commented strolling out of his room on the opposite side.

He appeared just as exhausted as he did the day before.

"Hey, can you show us to the shower?" Zeel asked Luther, not minding the weird gazes of everyone around him.

As far as Zeel was concerned, copulation should be the main purpose of all male beings in primitive worlds such as this one.

They should consider themselves lucky to hear the psychic and physical interactions between Alice and himself.

"Sure, follow me," Luther responded leading them toward the showers.

Five minutes later, the trio were in front of the showers, Zeel was surprised by the cleanliness of the showers.

"Quite amazing that everywhere else is partially or entirely destroyed, but the showers are absolutely fine," Zeel said as he found this extremely weird.

How could the showers be totally fine when everywhere else is destroyed?

Alice laughed as she explained "It's a prison, these prisoners weren't allowed to take baths very often, and sometimes guys don't like to take baths,"

"We have running water but nothing much else, so I hope you like it cold," Luther said laughing along with Alice at her earlier joke.

Zeel didn't get the joke but attributed it all to the lack of cleanliness amongst prisoners.

"Thank you!" Alice said after which Luther exited.

Alice and Zeel began to undress. Zeel was reluctant to undress since his suit could be worn during showers.

He disliked being un-prepared in any scenario.

But with Alice's insistence, he still complied. Normally, the duo would only take showers in bases they had secured prior to their stay.

They had not yet performed an in-depth search of their current base, Zeel was confident in escaping almost anything that would be thrown their way.

*shshshsh*

As they were undressing, Zeel and Alice heard a sound that put them on alert.

Alice reached for her guns and Zeel strapped back the equipment he had just discarded to take the shower.

Alice and Zeel heightened their suppressed senses.

Only when fighting would they utilize their peak human physique. Usually, their sense of hearing, smell, and sight would be suppressed by their nanites to varying degrees.

Alice and Zeel allowed their nanites to cease all suppression. Now, they could hear everything happening within a quarter-mile radius.

They both focused, keying in on a loud, thumping sound that seemed to be right next to them.

It didn't take long for them both to realize what had happened. Zeel was about to kill the peeking, perverted Wendell, but Alice held him back and gestured for him to listen more closely.

Following Alice's suggestion, Zeel once again refocused his sense of sound and then heard what Alice was referring to.

'It sounds as if someone was digging inside the walls,' Zeel thought.

Alice also listened to this thought and agreed.

Alice was about to check out the sound personally, but Zeel, remembering that her nanites were once again functional and upgraded, asked her to send out a pulse of telekinetic waves.

Since the nanites were upgraded, Alice didn't need to wait for Zeel to interpret the pulse she sent out.

She could now discern what the echoed pulses that returned meant.

Sifting through the signals within a couple of nanoseconds, Alice's eyes turned wide as she was genuinely startled at what she had discovered.

Zeel, who had also interpreted the signal, fell silent for a couple of seconds before turning to Alice.

Both their faces turned ugly in an instant. The pulse had a wider range than they expected.

The first thing they noticed was two huge zombies with axes walking toward the gate at the front.

This soon became a second thought as they took notice of several, freshly-dug tunnels crisscrossing below their feet.

"This is too organized for zombies," Zeel pointed out.

The tunnels below the prison were dug while avoiding any pressure points. It was as if the Zombies dug the tunnels to only collapse the building as a last resort.

"So we can't leave through the underground systems or on the ground," Alice said as she began to realize the gravity of the situation – no ground escape, no underground escape, leaving only air.

With her powers returned, she could guarantee the survival of both herself and Zeel.

But she did not have enough control to save the others.

Losing her powers was like fracturing a hand. Even after recovery, she still required a period of therapy to acquire full-use once more.

*RAWR*

At that moment, as if to confirm their discoveries, five zombies jumped out from tunnels below the ground.

Alice and Zeel dashed forward.

Alice decided to stretch her powers once more. Three zombies froze as Alice fired three head-shots.

The two on Zeel's end were behind the peeking Wendell, wasting no time Zeel slowed down his perception of time.

Unsheathing his sword from his back, Zeel slashed horizontally at a peculiar angle beheading not only the zombies but also Wendell.

Like he would forgive a guy who wanted to take a peek at Alice's body while she was bathing.

Or worst, if Wendell wanted to see Zeel himself. Just the thought of the latter made Zeel grimace.

After exiting the showers and notifying everyone about what happened, the group gathered at Cell Block B.

"Time to hold up your end of the bargain," Zeel said hoping that Chris would not suggest an idiotic plan.

"Relax man, I always keep my word. Follow me," replied Chris as he took the group outside to a shut-off portion of the facility.

However, while passing by the gate, the group saw two huge zombies carrying axes.

They were both hammering at the gate. The gate seemed to be on its last legs, leading the group to realize that the time for escape was either now or never.

Chris then began to speak in a haughty manner "Urban Pacification Vehicle. Prison kept it in case of a serious riot. Pressurized water cannon, seats 20, Ten tons of fun. Roll on out in style, drive right over 'em,"

Luther inspected the garage and voiced out "Can't open, the lock is jammed,"

"Maybe we could cut through it," Angel replied as the mechanic of the group

"This won't work," Alice commented as she sent out a pulse to scan the inside.

Alice would have preferred to not travel by ground due to the tunnels under the building. But as long as they could clear the building radius fast enough, worrying about the collapse would be an after-thought.

After thinking for a while, Alice turned to Zeel "Heavily armored vehicle but the engine is not inside,"

Zeel frowned since they had to leave now to stand a chance. The tunnels were not a threat if they got far enough, but that would not be possible.

'Maybe, If I use the engine like that. I could get enough power to barely enhance the plane using the primitive tech available,' Zeel thought, running through countless possibilities in his mind.

"We can use the engine, get the engine! And then we need guns. My gut is telling me things aren't gonna go as planned," Zeel said as he came up with a separate plan of escape on the spot.

The guns were not for the endless horde of zombies, but for whatever troubles lie in wait on the Arcadia.

"I got you covered. When I was stationed here. We used a room in the basement as an armory. It's got every weapon you can dream of," Chris replied eager to prove his worth now that the engine was not in the vehicle.

"How do you know you're unit didn't take them with 'em when they pulled out?" Alice asked.

Alice was more concerned with leaving this base than the semantics of the situation.

"Because...by the end... There were lot more guns than people to use them," Chris said with a raised eyebrow.

21