Chapter 9: Class Change
333 7 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Choose a Class! 

  • Healer --- 20 votes

Chapter 9: Class Change

After much deliberation, Lucas ended up choosing his class to be Healer.

For one, Healers are less...well, destructive. This way if he really did end up losing control, he won't be to the point of being unstoppable...maybe...

Also, Healers have a lot of support skills that can clear debuffs. If we think Dragon's Wrath is a sort of mental debuff, maybe he can negate it with his own support skills?

While it is true that Lucas had thought of becoming a swordsman, mage, or maybe even a thief, right now, he was more concerned about losing control and wreaking havoc on Earth so he chose the safest option.

As for whether this is the right choice or not...only time will tell.

After deciding on his class, Lucas went to find the NPC...or rather, the resident who can help him.

The normal classes have their own places to apply and learn skills. The Healer class can be taken from the Temple of Lieran.

Lucas asked a few players for direction and found the temple after a few minutes of walking.

He walked inside and saw a few priests and druids chatting amongst themselves without any shouting or rowdy behaviors.

Looking around, he saw a young man wearing white robes smiling at him while waving.

Lucas pointed at himself as if to confirm he was being called.

The young man nodded and gestured him to come over.

Curious, Lucas walked over to him to see what was going on.

"Is there something?"

"Yes. Young man, are you looking to choose a class?"

"Ah, yes. I've come to choose the Healer class. Do you know who I should talk to?"

The young man smiled and nodded.

"That's fine. I can do it too."

He then took out a crystal orb the size of a bowling ball and presented it to Lucas.

"Touch the orb with your palm."

"Like this?"

Lucas did as he was told and touched it.

Suddenly, the orb gave out a warm light and a notification window appeared in front of Lucas.

[You have chosen the Class of Healer.]

[You are now able to learn the art of Healing.]

[Skill: Heal gained.]

[Skill: Cure gained.]

[Skill: Clear Mind gained.]

[Skill: Heal Sword gained.]

"Hm?"

Seeing the notifications, Lucas was confused.

He knew that Healers are granted three basic skills at the start. Heal, Cure, and Clear Mind.

Heal can restore a player's HP. Cure can remove poison status. And Clear Mind can clear mind-related debuffs like confusion, dizziness, taunted, etc.

But he had never heard of a skill called Heal Sword...

Lucas looked back at the young man as if wanting him to explain what was going on.

The young man just smiled and winked.

"Consider it a gift. My name is Agerad. A pleasure to meet you, Lucas."

"Ah, thanks...wait, how did you-"

Lucas was about to ask but the young man had somehow disappeared already.

"...know my name..."

Lucas looked around in confusion.

What just happened?

Who was that guy just now?

Many questions filled his head but with no answer.

Lucas sighed and shook his head.

"Whatever. Let's take a look at my stats first..."

[Name: Lucas]

[Race: Werebeast (White Wolf), ?????]

[Level: 10]

[Class: Healer]

[Title: ?????, World Traveler]

[Racial Abilities: Heightened Senses (P), Danger Sense (P), Wolf Transformation (A), Wolf Howl (A), ?????(P), Dragon's Wrath (A), Dragon's Roar (A), Wrath Flame (A)]

[Skills: Heal (A) Lvl 1, Cure (A) Lvl 1, Clear Mind (A) Lvl 1, Heal Sword (P) Lvl MAX]

[STR: 55 | VIT: 132 | INT: 67 | DEX: 50 | SPD: 54 | LUK: -99]

[Free stat points: 45]

Different from the Racial Abilities, Skills can be leveled up to further power them.

Lucas turned to look at the Heal Sword skill for more information.

[Heal Sword (P)]

[Lvl MAX]

[Description: The sword that heals. Heals double the amount of sword damage inflicted.]

"..."

Lucas' face twitched.

What the hell is this skill!? And it's even a passive skill which means he can't turn it off at all!

"...On second thought, isn't this pretty useless? As a Healer, I won't use a sword anyway..."

Lucas calmed down when he thought of this. He can just ignore this skill and treat it as if it doesn't exist.

But the double heal is kinda tempting...should he just use a sword to heal from now on?

"Wait, is this even feasible...?"

Lucas thought about it.

If he were to increase his stats in a way like a swordsman would inflict more damage, then he, with this skill, can double that damage and convert it into heal instead.

Won't that be a powerful heal?

But the downside would be the range.

Normal heals can be used from a distance as long as you set a target. But if he were to use Heal Sword, he would need to move about and follow his allies, slashing them to heal them...

Lucas shook his head.

"Whatever, let's not think about it for now..."

Lucas found another person to learn more skills in exchange for gold.

He didn't have any intention of buying as he is dirt poor. He just wanted to know the prices in order to have a goal in mind while grinding.

Once done, Lucas left the temple and out into the forest once again.

For the first time, Lucas used his wolf racial abilities instead. Wolf Transformation.

Suddenly, his body morphed and changed into a white wolf. His equipment had also been sent back to his inventory automatically.

What was weird was that there's still a black dragon tattoo on his back fur which looked quite odd.

He walked a few times to get used to the feeling of having four legs then started to run.

Lucas felt like the wind as he ran in his wolf form.

*Awoooooooooo*

In his excitement, he howled like a wolf as he ran.

Finally, after running for a long time, he was in an area with less players. He also encountered a lone monster. An Ogre.

It was big and red-skinned. Had oversized teeth and wore tattered clothes.

Lucas had read about them online.

Ogre, a level 25 monster. Big and strong, but slow and dumb. It's easy to hunt if you know what to look out for.

Lucas returned back to his human form and glared at the Ogre.

He wanted to test something which was why he didn't join any party even though he's a Healer.

He wanted to see if Clear Mind can indeed negate the Dragon's Wrath.

Lucas took a deep breath and activated the skill.

Dragon's Wrath!

Clear Mind!

Lucas felt a surge of power overwhelm him.

He gritted his teeth and tried to maintain clarity for some time but...

After a brief 3 seconds of clarity, Lucas' consciousness faded.

By the time he woke up, he found himself in the middle of destruction with no corpse in his sight.

Looking at his stats, he saw that he had actually leveled up three times...

This means...he didn't wake up the first time it popped up...and he didn't kill just one Ogre.

Although he was able to kill the Ogre which is of a higher level than him by a lot, the exp gained from it should only be enough to level up about one and a half...but for him to level up thrice meant that he had killed another Ogre or something of a similar level as well...

Lucas sighed.

Still, even though he was only able to remain a clear mind for three seconds...it was because his skill was still low level.

If he were to continue to increase it...

It can be enough to maintain his consciousness for a few minutes.

By then, it should be enough for him to turn on and off when he wanted to.

Lucas looked at his stats again and saw that Clear Mind had actually leveled up to 4. It seems using Dragon's Wrath to grind its level is worthwhile.

Like that, Lucas continued to grind its level in the middle of nowhere surrounded by high-level enemies.

After waking up from Dragon's Wrath, he had to leave and switch hunting grounds since players would arrive every now and then.

There were plenty of high-level players so the Ogre area isn't really a secluded area. It was best to avoid other players, for now, to avoid complicating things.

After a few hours of grinding, Lucas logged out.

As he woke up and stood from his bed, he saw the rusty sword leaning on his wall.

"Right, I forgot about this thing..."

Speaking of which, when he logged in earlier, although he was still wearing the same beginner clothes, the World Key was no longer on his neck.

But after logging out, it was still there on his real body.

It seems that after being brought out here, the World Key and the sword won't appear in the other world now if he logged in using the Portal.

"I guess that makes sense. It's not like these things also go through me when I log in...although it's weird that it was brought to here in the first place..."

Lucas' head hurt so he stopped thinking about it and just threw it all into the magic trash can in his mind.

After thinking that, he took a bath and started to get ready for work.

He wore a black wig and a face mask as he got out.

When asked about his appearance, he said he got contacts which were why his eyes were now blue. As for the face mask, no one bothered about it as it was quite normal nowadays...

During his shift in the convenience store, a familiar person approached him.

It was Chloe.

"Yo. I see you're still working here huh?"

"I don't have any other job after all. What do you need to buy?"

Chloe ignored his question and asked instead.

"How about working for me? I can pay you well. At least, definitely better than here."

"What kind of work?"

Chloe chuckled and brought something from her pocket.

It was an eyepatch.

After wearing it over her one eye, she spoke again.

"You see, I'm putting together a team."

"...Are you about to Nick Fury me?"

"You bet your ass I am."

"..."

Lucas chuckled and shook his head.

"Is this about the matter of the World Key?"

"Yeah. The big boss and my old man wanted me to pick a handful of people to unlock their skills and get trained. They say it's in case we are needed in the future, we can act immediately when needed."

Lucas fell silent.

Just as he was about to answer, another person arrived in the store.

It was Mica.

"Hm? Lucas. You were working here?"

"Ah, I am. Is there something you need to buy Mii?"

"Yeah. I just wanted to buy some water actually, I was passing by and the weather is quite hot."

Lucas nodded.

"Alright, the fridge is over there. Pick one and come here to pay."

Mica nodded and took one bottle at random. She then walked to the counter and was about to pay when she saw the woman beside Lucas wearing an eyepatch.

It didn't look like a real one...it's like something you'd see in a toy store...

"...What's with the eyepatch?"

"I'm recruiting my Avengers."

"Huh?"

Lucas rolled his eyes and explained.

"She's hiring me to work for her."

"Ah, I see. Are you looking for a job?"

"Well, I guess so."

Lucas shrugged while taking the bottle from her and scanning it.

"In that case, how about working for me."

"Huh?"

"What?"

Not just Lucas, even Chloe was surprised.

"I told you I'm making a guild soon right? How about it? If you're in need of money, I can pay you if you join me."

Lucas was surprised. He turned to Chloe and asked.

"Do guilds in a game work like that now?"

"Well...some guilds do have a work-like environment where the Guild Master is the Chairman and the members are all his workers. In fact, most hardcore guilds are like that."

Lucas raised a brow at that.

He turned his attention back at Mica who smiled at him.

"Well? How about it?"

"Hey, hold on! I was here first!"

Chloe suddenly realized that Lucas was about to be poached over so she quickly got in between them.

"Lucas, tell me! Will you join me or not!?"

"Uhh..."

Lucas didn't know what to say.

Working under Chloe would mean working with this secret organization from the future and using his abilities to help people.

Working under Mica would lead to a guild life. As a healer, it would make it easier for him to choose a party with a guild.

If he were to refuse one, he would risk angering the other.

Maybe refuse them both? But then he'll have to continue working part-time until he starts to sell items in the game for real money.

How about...choosing both of them? None of their offers actually conflict with one another. One is in the game, while the other is in reality.

But...will they agree to that? What if it makes things worse? And even if it works...can he really find the time to work under both of them properly?

https://strawpoll.com/34o2xyp86

Now, choose! XD

One more announcement. I've started another book called Starting the Apocalypse. It's a guy trying to resurrect a girl so he started a zombie apocalypse. You can read it in Ringdom. Just search the title there. I'm not posting it in SH or WN since I'm having talks for a contract with it on Ringdom at the moment so we'll see XD.

That's all, have fun choosing!

17