Chapter 19 – Dragons
136 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We went down to Hagrid's, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I. Terry, Fred, George and I had managed to get back to ourselves before darting up to the common room, whispering excitedly about what we had just done.

We met Lewis and Kurt on the way. They had got together after the ball, and they were so cute together. 

We were going to prank so many people with our Animagi-ness!

I was telling Harry, Ron, and Hermione about my shih-tzu form.

"You became illegal Animagi!?" Hermione exclaimed.

"Keep your voice down, Hermione!" Ron hissed, looking at me in awe. "How'd you manage that?"

I told them about our adventure. Then I remembered.

"Ron, Hermione, you go on in. I need to talk to Harry for a moment."

Ron and Hermione slipped into Hagrid's, shooting us curious looks.

"Harry." I took a deep breath. "You know the Map I was telling you about? The Marauder's Map?" 

"Yeah." He looked at me. 

"Well ... Prongs was our father." 

"WHAT?!" He yelped. "How?"

"Here." I took out the book from my pocket and handed it to him. He started to read.

When he finished, he looked up at me.

"This is impossible." He said hollowly. 

"I know." I nodded. "I know."

When we got into the hut, I immediately noticed that it was warm. Very warm.

"Hagrid, can you open the window, plea- WHAT IS THAT?!" I exclaimed, seeing a large black egg sitting over the fire.

"Er, that ... that's, er ..." Hagrid stuttered.

"A dragon's egg!" Hermione exclaimed.

"Where'd you get it?" Ron asked, amazed.

"How are you even going to look after it?" Harry looked around the hut.

"What are you going to do with it?" I asked.

"Kids, kids!" Hagrid held up his hands. "I don't really know." 

We all looked wide-eyed at each other.

---

The next morning, I came down to the Great Hall to see Harry, Ron, and Hermione whispering, then stopping.

"What is it?" I whispered, nudging into the small group.

"The egg's hatching." Harry told me, showing me a note which Hagrid had sent to us. "Malfoy just heard us."

Draco was walking away towards the double doors, smirking. Hmm ...

We went over to Hagrid's at morning break. The egg was cracking open, and just we stepped in, a small, black, crumpled, umbrella tumbled out. Wait - it was the dragon!

Its wings were way bigger than its tiny body. It sneezed, and tiny sparks shot out from its nostrils.

We all stared at each other.

'What are we going to do?' I sent to Harry.

He just looked back at me with wide eyes.

:::

I was hanging out with Terry when Harry came tearing towards me.

"Daisy!" He panted, flopping down onto the steps of the front of the castle beside me. "Malfoy saw the dragon!"

He went on to tell me about his and Ron's visit to Hagrid's. Hermione was studying for our exams. They were looking at the dragon when Hagrid saw someone at the window. Harry looked out and saw Draco running up towards the school.

"If he says anything ..." Terry growled.

"He won't." I said doubtfully.

///

There was a rather foreboding smirk on Draco's face for the next week. I tried to get him alone to tell him that I was in on this too, and he would be getting me into trouble too if he said anything (because that would be the thing that would persuade him not to say anything). He obviously hadn't seen me inside the hut when he saw the dragon, so he just thought that he was only getting Ron, Hagrid, and my brother into trouble. But he never seemed to be alone.

One evening at Hagrid's hut, Harry suggested that Hagrid send the dragon, which he had named Norbert, to Ron's brother Charlie.

Then Norbert bit Ron, and he had to go to the hospital wing. Charlie sent Ron a letter saying he would be glad to take the dragon, and to meet his friends at the top of the Astronomy Tower at midnight on Saturday.

But there was a catch. Ron had hidden the letter in one of his books.

And he looked terrible.

"It's not just my hand." He whispered when we visited him. "Although that feels like it's about to fall off. Malfoy told Madam Pomfrey he wanted to borrow one of my books so he could come and have a good laugh at me. He kept threatening to tell her what really bit me - I've told her it was a dog but I don't think she believes me - and the book he took was the one I've kept Charlie's letter in! He'll know when we're going to -"

But then Madam Pomfrey appeared and told us to clear out.

---

There was nothing else to do but go forward with the plan.

On Saturday at midnight, Harry and Hermione slipped down to Hagrid's hut to get Norbert. Peeves was playing tennis against the wall in the Entrance Hall.

"Hullo, Peeves." I grinned at him.

"Oh, midnight wandering, is it?" Peeves grinned back, his eyes glinting. "Have a nice time. Call for me if you need to destroy anything."

"Oh, I will." I winked, before heading back up the marble staircase. 

Why wasn't I going with Harry and Hermione, you ask? Well, I was looking for Draco. He is obviously going to snitch on them, and what better time than the time they're transferring the dragon?

I transformed into my Animagus form and kept to the shadows. Everything seemed so much bigger when I was a puppy ...

Aha! There he was.

I yipped at him. He jumped.

"What the hell?" He murmured. "A puppy?"

He crouched down and put his hand out. I trotted over to him and he scratched behind my ears. That was actually ... quite nice. That felt ... really good! I understand how dogs feel now when they get petted.

He picked me up suddenly. "I've got to get you down to Professor Snape." He said. "You're obviously someone's escaped pet. Though, I wouldn't mind having you as a pet. You're quite cute, actually."

I woofed at him. I was succeeding! Distracting Draco is actually quite easy.

And he talks to animals even though he knows they can't understand him! Swoon!

We arrived at the dungeons. Draco glanced down at me. I did my best puppy eyes at him, and he sighed.

"You're just so cute!" He said, sitting down on the steps to the dungeons. He scratched behind my ears again, and I melted into his arms. I saw Harry and Hermione carrying a cage with Norbert in it silently up the marble staircase behind Draco. He didn't even notice. Harry and Hermione did the thumbs-up to me.

A few minutes later, Harry and Hermione appeared at the top of the marble staircase, signalling to me that Norbert was gone, and it was safe to go now.

I yipped at Draco one last time, then leaped out of his arms, and darted to the marble staircase. 

"Hey, wait!" He called.

I bounded up to Harry and Hermione, who had thrown the Invisibility Cloak over themselves. I nosed around until someone's hand scooped me up. It was Harry. They ran up the staircase, up to Gryffindor Tower.

They said the password to the Fat Lady and collapsed into the common room.

Harry patted my head. "You're really cute, Daisy, you know that?" 

I snuggled up to him.

Though I did kinda miss Draco ...

---

The next day, I conveniently got Draco alone.

"Hagrid hasn't got the dragon anymore." I announced. He looked at me.

"You tried to snitch on us, didn't you?" I said.

Draco opened his mouth. 

"No, I can prove it." I said. "There was a puppy last night."

"How did you know?" Draco looked creeped out.

"Guess." I said.

Draco pondered. Then his eyes grew wide. "Oh ... you didn't ..."

I nodded, smirking. "Yup. I am a proud Animagus."

"I knew you were badass, but ..." Draco looked impressed.

Then he suddenly looked behind me. I whirled around. Felix Malfoy was standing just behind us.

Draco was staring at Floppy with narrowed eyes.

Floppy smirked and strode away.

"If he says anything ..." Draco seethed.

3