Chapter 21 – More Important Things
138 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Tag!" Fred yelled, prodding Draco in the back. "Wait, what are you two - ooohhhh ... Sorry ..." He backed away, smirking.

Damn it! Fred had come in just before we were about to ... kiss. Oh well ... maybe next time. 

"Fred, what the hell?!" I huffed.

"I'm just gonna, um, go now." He said, fumbling for the door while walking backwards, smirking at me. "Don't want to disturb your, ah, precious moments. Maybe I should tell your brother while I'm at it, because he deserves to know-" 

"Don't you dare!" I shrieked.

"We weren't doing anything, Weasl- Fred." Draco said, standing up and smoothing down his hair from where I messed it up when I ran my hands through it.

"Oh really? What were you two doing, then?" Fred turned his smirk on him.

"Uh, hugging. Yeah, hugging. Draco here has some, um, family issues, and I was, uh, comforting him." I said awkwardly. "Seems legit." I muttered to myself.

"Well, I have something to keep secret about you, and if you ever have something about me that is supposed to be a secret, then I have something against you." Fred grinned.

"You little blackmailer!" I accused.

"I- you-" Draco stuttered.

"And you!" Fred added. "I guess Harry won't be too happy, and he'll probably rip you to shreds, Draco."

"Godric damn it!" I huffed. "Not again!"

Fred then burst out laughing. "Mate, I'm joking! But seriously, if you get on my bad side, Draco ..." He tapped his head. "Harry will know."

Then he cackled and swept out of the room.

"That little shit." I muttered.

Draco then seemed to realise something. He looked at me with an evil look in his eye.

"You're tagged!" I screamed. "Aaahhhh!" 

I sprinted out of the room, down the staircase, and across the Gryffindor Common Room. The other Gryffindors looked around with weird looks on their faces as I hurtled past. 

I dived up to the boy's dormitories and into Harry and Ron's dorm. This room reminded me: I had an Invisibility Cloak!

I whipped it out of my pocket, where I always keep it incase I need to make a quick getaway after one of my pranks.

I threw it over me, and I huddled against the wall. Draco and Fred came in, walking around, peering under the beds, opening wardrobe drawers, looking behind curtains.

I held my breath as Fred walked right past me. He was only half a foot away from me when he stopped. He looked around slowly. I suddenly got the huge urge to sneeze. No! Not here!

"Not here." Fred said.

"All clear!" Draco said.

They went out at the same time at which I sneezed. Yes! Success!

Did I mention that the winner of Ultimate Tag gets a trophy that I created? Draco supplied the gold, being the rich little darling that he is, and I magicked it - is that even a word? - into a trophy shape that's charmed so that when it is presented to the winner, the little person at the top changes shape so that it is basically a miniature version of the winner.

The winner is either the last person to be caught, or the Tagger who catches the last person before the first hour is up.

I whipped the Cloak off - it is kind of cheating - and I hid out in the boy's dorms for the rest of Ultimate Tag. 

I won! Now the little trophy sits on my beside table.

:::

We got through an entire week of exams. They were unbearably easy - it was effortless for me, who studied magic for the fun of it, because it was so interesting.

We had just finished the History of Magic exam, and we had played a game called 'Catch'. It's not what it sounds like. 

There are a team of Catchers, who try to catch the other players, like a game of Tag, only when a player is caught, the Catcher has to bring the player to a specified place where some other Catchers guard. A player is only Caught when they're being touched by a Catcher or in the specified place - that's why some Catchers guard the place, to stop the players from escaping. If a player escapes, they are no longer caught, and the game only ends when all the players are in the place.

It was quite fun. I was a Catcher, and I caught about ten people! I kept catching Fred and George, and it was hilarious because each time they either screamed, "FUCK!", "HALP!", or, "GODRIC DAMN IT DAISY NOT AGAIN!"

A group of friends and I were chilling out in the grounds beside the lake, when Harry and Ron came tearing up to us.

"The Stone's in danger!" Harry gasped. "We need to tell Dumbledore!"

"Dumbledore's not here." Terry spoke up.

"How do you know?" Ron asked, surprised.

"We're the Insurgents. Of course we know. We know everything." I told him.

"Well shit." Harry panted. "We're screwed."

---

Later that night, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and I agreed to go protect the Stone, as Dumbledore being away would be the best time for the Stone to be stolen.

Draco had begged to go with us, but we refused. Too many people.

"We'd better put on the Cloak here, and make sure it covers all four of us - if Filch spots one of our feet wandering along on its own -" Harry began.

"What are you doing?" A voice came from the corner of the room. Neville appeared from behind an armchair, clutching Trevor the toad, who looked as though he'd been making another bid for freedom.

"Nothing, Neville, nothing." I said sweetly, swiftly hiding the Cloak behind my back.

"Are you sneaking out again, Daisy?" He knew about half my midnight wanderings, and he knew that on half of those that I got caught. "'Cause you're going to lose us even more house points!"

"I lose house points every day, Nev." I pointed out. "And besides ... we're not doing anything."

I looked into his eyes as I said it, and I felt something stirring in my mind. Something unfamiliar flickered in Neville's eyes.

He stared at us. "Alright." He said slowly. The he turned and walked up the spiral staircase.

Phew!

I transformed into my Animagus form and slipped under the Cloak as we wouldn't all fit under it normally.

We crept out of the portrait hole and made our way through corridors and down staircases. We passed Mrs Norris, and I woofed at her. She yowled, darting away, and we scampered down several hallways and down a staircase.

"Daisy!" Ron said, though he was shaking with laughter.

We passed Peeves, who was loosening a carpet so that people would trip.

"Who's there?" He said suddenly. "Know you're there, even if I can't see you. Are you ghoulie or ghostie or wee student beastie?" 

"Hi, Peeves!" I grinned, transforming out of my Animagus form and lifting a corner of the Cloak up.

"Oh, hello, Daisy." He grinned, his wicked black eyes glinting. "Mind your step. Hope your business goes well." 

I let the Cloak drop again and stepped over the loosened carpet. We were almost there, so no need to transform again. We all made our way to the third floor corridor, then - 

What the -? 

"Draco? Terry?" I hissed. "What're you DOING?!" 

The two boys emerged out of the shadows, glaring at each other. They were exchanging 'yo momma' insults like seven-year-olds.

"Daisy, I couldn't just let you go alone!" Terry exclaimed.

"But - but -" I spluttered, gesturing towards Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

"I wanted to go with you. To - uh - um ... pro-" Draco broke off, scratching the back of his neck awkwardly.

"How did you even get here without being seen?" I asked, genuinely curious.

"Animagus form." Terry replied.

"I'm a Slytherin. It explains it all." Draco grinned, relived at the change of topic.

I sighed. "Fine! The more the merrier. Now COME ON."

We all crept into Fluffy's room, Hermione having done the 'Alohomara' spell.

Shit! We hadn't brought any musical instruments! Hagrid told us (accidentally) that Fluffy goes to sleep when you play musical instruments.

A harp was lying to the side of the room, behind Fluffy. He must have shifted position when he was sleeping. So Snape was already here.

'Daisy, sing!' Harry sent to me desperately. Fluffy was sweeping the room with his six eyes. He was almost upon us.

'But I-' I sent back.

'You're the only one who can actually sing here, no offence to the others!'

'Fine!' I sent back hysterically as Fluffy saw us. 'Fine!'

"It's been my pen

Since I was ten

We write the same things,

We scribble the same scribbles,

Alright 

I got it all

'cause it is the one

We always have lots of

Black inked fun

Alright 

I know, I know, I know for sure

Everybody wanna steal my pen

Everybody wanna take it's ink away

Couple billion in the whole wide world

Find another one 'cause it belongs to me

Everybody wanna steal my pen

Everybody wanna take it's ink away

Couple billion in the whole wide world

Find another one 'cause it belongs to me

Na na na na na na 

Na na na na na na 

Na na na na na na

Na na

It belongs to me

Writes like a river,

It's crosses are so mean

And every student stares

When it writes out my dream,

Alright 

My essays don't exist

If I don't have it

The teacher doesn't smile,

My grades don't turn,

Alright 

But I know, I know, I know for sure

Everybody wanna steal my pen

Everybody wanna take it's ink away

Couple billion in the whole wide world

Find another one 'cause it belongs to me

Everybody wanna steal my pen

Everybody wanna take it's ink away

Couple billion in the whole wide world

Find another one 'cause it belongs to me

Na na na na na na 

Na na na na na na

Na na na na na na

Na na na na na na

It knows, it knows

That I've never broken it before

It knows, it knows

That I'm never gonna let another use it's ink now

Everybody wanna steal my pen

Everybody wanna take it's ink away

Couple billion in the whole wide world

Find another one 'cause it belongs to me

Everybody wanna steal my pen

Everybody wanna take it's ink away

Couple billion in the whole wide world

Find another one 'cause it belongs to me

Na na na na na na 

Na na na na na na 

Na na na na na na

Na na

It belongs to me

Na na na na na na 

Na na na na na na

Na na na na na na

The pens belong to me!" Everyone had now jumped through the trapdoor. I leapt through it too.

I fell through what felt like several stories of darkness, then landed on something soft.

"It's Devil's Snare." Hermione informed me, helping me across to a stone platform as she held Bluebell Flames in her hand, waving it at the plant that I landed on. 

"That was bloody hilarious! Did you write it?" Terry was pissing himself.

"Yeah." I nodded. "It was about you, Ron, Dean, and Seamus, mostly. You always borrow my pens and never return them."

Hermione extinguished the flames as we reached the stone.

"Hey!" Ron said indignantly. "I do return your pens ... sometimes ..." He muttered the last word.

We continued on to double doors. I pushed them, but they didn't budge. Locked.

Things that looked like little birds were fluttering around above us. But then I looked closer and saw that they were ...

"Keys!" I shouted, pointing up at them.

There were three broomsticks propped up against the wall.

"Well, we'll just have to find the right one then." I said.

Harry, Terry, and I hopped on brooms and took off. After a few minutes of aimlessly searching, I saw a key that was flying with a bent wing - as if someone had stuffed it roughly into the lock.

"Here!" I called and dived towards it.

It darted away from me. I gritted my teeth and swerved towards it again. It dived, and I dived too. I stretched out my arm - and I caught it!

I flew to the ground and inserted it into the lock. It fitted.

We all stepped through to the other room. It was a giant chess set.

"Looks like we'll have to play." Terry announced.

There were several empty spaces. We all went and stood in each of them.

Ron directed us and the chess pieces where to go, and the other side moved by themselves. 

"We're nearly there." He muttered suddenly. "Let me think - let me think ..." 

The white queen turned her blank face towards him.

"Yes ..." Ron said softly. "It's the only way ... I've got to be taken."

"NO!" Harry, Hermione, and I shouted.

"That's chess!" Ron snapped. "You've got to make some sacrifices! I'll make my move and she'll take me - that leaves you free to checkmate the king, Terry!" 

"But -"

"Do you want to stop Snape or not?"

"Ron -" 

"Look, if you don't hurry up, he'll already have the Stone!" 

There was nothing else for it.

Ron stepped forward and the queen smacked him around the head. He fell to the floor, unconscious. Hermione screamed but stayed on her square. The queen dragged Ron to the side and Terry checkmated the king. We had won.

"Terry, you stay with Ron." I commanded, white-faced.

He moved across to Ron without a word.

We moved into the other room. There was a troll, knocked out.

"Glad we didn't have to face that again." Harry muttered.

We moved into the next room. Immediately, a fire sprang up in the doorway behind us and in front of us. There was a table with several potions on it. There was also a bit of parchment. Hermione and Harry moved forwards to read it, but I stayed back, collecting my thoughts. It's all my fault. If I hadn't let Ron come with us, he wouldn't -

Draco put an arm around my shoulders. "Hey." He said softly. "I know what you're thinking. It's not your fault."

"Whatever." I sighed.

"It's this one." Hermione declared, picking up a small bottle.

"But there's not enough for all of us." I spoke up, looking at the tiny bottle. Obviously the riddle was about which potion would let us through the fire. 

"Which one will take you back through that door?" Harry asked her. She pointed at the bottle at the end.

"Take it, you two." He said. "Go back to Ron and warn Dumbledore - send an owl to him -"

"But what if HE'S there?" Draco asked, sounding panicked.

"We've beat him before, haven't we?" I pointed at my scar. "Maybe we can do it again."

Hermione burst into tears and flung herself at me.

"Hermione!" 

"Oh Daisy, you're the best witch I've ever met!" She sobbed.

"Don't be silly - you're better at everything -"

"Daisy, there are more important things than knowledge and good exam results! Like friendship and courage ..."

I grinned. "Then you would be as good a witch as I am."

Hermione sobbed even harder at that. 

"Take care, Harry." She sobbed at him.

"Be careful, okay?" Draco told me as they each took a sip of the potion.

"Right." I nodded.

They turned and walked though the fire.

Harry and I each took a tiny sip of the potion, then walked through the other fire.

Someone was standing inside the other room in front of the Mirror of Erised. The Mirror!

But it wasn't Snape. It wasn't even Voldemort.

It was Quirrell.

"You!" I gasped. He turned around.

"Yes, me." He said calmly.

"Get away from that mirror!" I said. The Mirror must be hiding it in some way.

"No." Quirrell said.

I ran forwards and stood in front of the Mirror.

"Yes ... maybe that would be wise ... the girl could maybe get it ..." A rasping voice which was not Quirrell's said.

Mirror me winked and held up a small red stone - the Philosopher's Stone! - and put it in her pocket. At that same time I felt an extra weight in my pocket - the Stone was inside it!

"What do you see, girl?" Quirrell asked, coming up behind me.

"Uh, I um, see myself with the Quidditch World Cup!" I lied. "I won!"

Quirrell cursed and strode away.

"She lies ..." The voice said again.

"What?" Quirrell turned towards me again. "Do you have the Stone, girl?"

The look on my face said it all.

"You do! Accio Stone!" The Stone flew out of my pocket, but my Seeker reflexes kicked in and I grabbed it.

"Give me the Stone, Potter!" Quirrell demanded.

"No." I replied, my voice strong.

Then I felt something taking over my mind again. I felt myself slipping into oblivion ...

'Harry! Catch!' I sent to Harry, and threw the Stone to him. The thing that was taking over slipped away again.

Harry caught it, and Quirrell came at me. He grabbed me and held me against him, jabbing his wand into my neck.

"Give me the Stone, Potter," He panted, "or she dies."

"Don't." I said.

Harry looked desperately at us and stretched out his hand.

"Very good, Mr Potter." Quirrell smiled.

"No!" I burst out, and I directed my anger at him. He fell to the floor, writhing and screaming, but the thing was, I couldn't direct my powers at him without getting through myself first. I fell to the floor too, pain flowing like a thousand electric shocks, boiling water, and ice through my body, but still managing to concentrate on Quirrell, and him still managing to hold on to me. I never knew that I could create this much ... pain. Power.

"Daisy!" Harry cried, falling to his knees beside me.

"Harry - go - take the Stone - to Dumbledore - I'll - distract -"

"No!" Harry shouted, his eyes shining with tears. "I won't let you torture yourself!"

"GO!" I screamed. Harry jumped up and tore for the doors, tears falling from his face.

"Kill him!" The voice rasped. "Kill him! Don't touch her! I need her!"

But Quirrell was still writhing in pain. He reached out and touched my arm - where my skin was bare - and the pain intensified. I could no longer hold on to the power -

But Quirrell was still screaming in pain. Then I saw his hands crumbling to dust. My scar was suddenly searing - and so was my arm - but I wasn't crumbling to dust - only he was -

"Daisy!" I heard Draco yell.

Then no more.

4