Evolution – Refining, Evolving, Skills, Mutations
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Introduction: Evolution is the process of becoming stronger, tougher, faster, more resistant, smarter, more agile, more energetic, and becoming as a whole more than what the creature was previously. It is to adapt, to attune itself with the changing and cruel world around it. The system allows its various users to use points to evolve themselves in multiple ways and fashions.

Refining: The orthodox way to increase a creature's body qualities to the peak, preparing it for evolution. It uses points(quintessence), supplements, and natural resources such as high-level meat to evolve and refine the body to new heights, up to the genetic limit.

Notes:

  1. Refining can only help reach the limit of a given level. Without evolving or mutating to the next level, it is useless to attempt it, even if you take supplements or other natural resources, unless they are of sufficient power, forcing an evolution.
  2. Refining, by itself, does not provide racial or unique skills. To obtain those, other means are required, such as evolving.
  3. Refining, by itself, does not provide the perfection of being. However, it does generally improve the health and shape of the creature, indirectly making it look better.

Evolving: The act of transcending the limits of a creature's current level, reaching new heights. By evolving, a creature can evolve to more advanced races on its racial tree.

Notes:

  1. A creature has multiple choices when evolving, although sometimes there is only a single option.
  2. A creature may only evolve once during each evolution.
  3. By evolving into a higher-level race, the cost of refining and evolving next time increases depending on the race chosen.
  4. A creature may only advance one strand or step each time it evolves.  That is to say, a normal human can evolve into an elite human, but cannot evolve into a high human, a higher tier evolution strand, immediately.
  5. Evolving into a higher genetic strand may become partially genetic. A son of a lvl 3 Greater human soldier may be born as an LVL 3 Greater human soldier, LVL 2 High human fighter, lvl 1 Elite human brawler, or just a lvl 0 human. The children also have a high chance of inheriting all or some of the racial skills of the parent, as well as some of the unique skills. Attunements are pseudo genetic, in that a creature's children might inherit a tendency to develop them over other attunements. Magic-based races have a higher chance to inherit attunements than other racial strands.
  6. Some races cannot deteriorate below a certain LVL. For example, dragons have a minimum LVL of 7, while drakes have a minimum LVL of 4. However, the said races have a much lower fertility rate.

Skills: Skills do not refer to what is called acquired skills such as swordsmanship or language, but the innate ability of a creature. Some skills are racially bound, such as the poison of a snake or the innate ability to breathe underwater. Some skills, unique skills, are skills that do not relate to the race but are unique to the creature. For example, a normal human having psychic abilities or the ability to regenerate limbs and organs.

Notes:

  1. Racial skills are bound to a creature's race and cannot be changed unless the creature mutates or evolves.
  2. Unique skills are quasi genetic, as they might pass on to the descendants of a creature. Racial skills are fully genetic, as they are bound to the race itself.
  3. Racial skills might have positive aspects but could also have negative aspects. For example, vampires have a racial skill called vampiric physiology that makes them regenerate many times faster but makes them weak when exposed to direct sunlight.
  4. Unique skills are usually better than racial skills regarding unwanted effects, but there could be some special cases. For example, the psychic ability of Mind reading could potentially backfire when attempting to read the mind of a creature of the warp or that of a powerful entity, leading to brain-frying.
  5. Some skills could potentially be better than others and have better potential. Draconic regeneration is stronger than normal regeneration. Monstrous strength is stronger than enhanced strength. However, there is a downside that such skills need an increased amount of points or stimuli to increase themselves.
  6. Some skills could be trained, while others can only use points. Some skills might not even have the ability to evolve themselves, staying at the same level.
  7. There is a cap on the number of unique skills a creature can possess depending on its race. Racial skills have no such cap.

Mutations: The ability to mutate into a better variant of the same race. For example, an elite human may be able to mutate into an elite human brawler, granting increased strength and endurance. It will also unlock the skill branches of the might branch.

Notes:

  1. To mutate, a creature first needs to evolve into a higher race, and only then can they mutate, up to the current racial limit.
  2. By mutating into a variant, a creature can unlock new strands of racial skills, making them stronger.
  3. Mutations are retained when evolving.
  4. Mutations are far more expensive than regular evolving, but at the same time, grant far fewer short-term benefits. That is why many do not wish to mutate. At the same time, those that do mutate are considered elites. Those elites, after evolving and mutating multiple times, can challenge higher LVL opponents, hence those that are born mutated are considered naturally gifted.
  5. To mutate, a creature needs to have all its stats maxed out. When a creature mutates, it consumes its entire stat progress, resetting it 0. That makes the creature enter a period of weakness.
  6. Different mutations cost different prices. Some require points, some require materials, and others require certain conditions. The more powerful a mutation is, the more stringent the requirements are.
  7. Sometimes, mutations that are not controlled by the system can occur for various reasons... Such mutations can either be good or bad, many times the latter, with a lucky few in the former... Such mutations can even lead a creature to a change of its base race and species.

Exceptions: Sometimes, there are exceptions to the rule, and a mutation would occur on its own for various reasons:

  1. Eating or absorbing in any way an item or object of immense power and not dying.
  2. Being exposed to intense mana radiation and somehow not dying from mana-infused cancer.
  3. Prolonged stay in a certain environment and eating specific foods.
  4. Mutagens from some monster.
  5. Ritual magics, specifically to change race and species.

Examples:

  1. A kobold mutates into a dragon after several mutations and evolutions.
  2. A goblin evolves into a hobgoblin.
  3. A rat evolves into a Skaven or mutates into a feral Ratkin.
  4. A demi-human mutates into a vampire after drinking the blood of other creatures for a prolonged period of time.
  5. A child getting adopted by an intelligent wolf pack and mutates into a Lycan, a half-wolf half-man hybrid monster.
  6. A man gets bitten by a zombie and remains untreated for hours and days until it turns him also into a zombie, with a possibility of remaining intelligent.
  7. A man obtains a relic of a powerful dragon and turns into a dragonkin.
  8. Some creature of any kind getting exposed to intense mana radiations, becoming an abomination.
  9. Some creature of any kind getting exposed to intense mana radiation, becoming a creature of pure mana.
  10. Some creature obtaining a fully powered item of a powerful god by some stroke of twisted luck, mutating to that god's race and naturally ascending to become a demigod in a matter of years.
  11. A monster is born from a normal demihuman couple. In this case, though, it is usually promptly killed. It happens in about every 10 million births since it usually miscarriages, so it is exceedingly rare.

 

Notes:

  1. Some items of immense power or involuntary mutations might cause a creature to rapidly rise in level, and it would be counted as using refining.
  2. Some types of medicine might allow a creature to evolve directly, but in most cases, it leaves scars that cripple the creature's future potential. Such scars can be healed, but they require a relatively large amount of points.
  3. The bigger and innately stronger the creature, the more points it needs to level up or refine itself.
  4. When a creature rises by a level, all hoarded and unused points would automatically be used for a chance to gain attunements and unique skills. The attunements and skills would favor the creature's chosen race.
  5. Whether it is using evolving or mutation, it does not increase a being's fitness levels(At least when it is through the system). They only change the base qualities of a being and training must be done separately. That is also why mages are depicted as physically weak.
2