Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 275. The End of Funeral II
62 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 275. The End of Funeral II
A few days after the royal funeral procession in Asteria, Angel and Rose embarked on their journey back to Euphorion. Following Angel's orders, Frost remained in Asteria to oversee the aftermath.
Unlike their previous trek from Zephyrus, where tension and uncertainty ambush loomed at every turn, the return journey was surprisingly uneventful. Angel, cognizant of the potential threats due to King Gervis's accusations and Ilex's alliances with influential nobles, maintained a vigilant stance throughout. The absence of any ambush or rebellion against the convoy offered a semblance of relief, allowing them to navigate the terrain with relative ease.
The cities where they rested for the night, however, whispered dissent in their wake. Rumors about the Euphorion King's alleged misdeeds circulated like wildfire, tainting the air with murmurs of distrust. Angel, choosing restraint over confrontation, observed the unfolding discontent without immediate intervention.
Frost, recognizing the fragility of Angel's reputation, had devised a countermeasure to combat the negative narrative. A strategic dissemination of alternative rumors aimed to salvage Angel's public image. The focus was on portraying Euphorion's soldiers as benevolent guardians, deflecting attention from the perceived transgressions. The hope was to prevent any emotional provocation among Euphorion's military forces and curtail the brewing sentiments of rebellion.
Angel, though wary of the undercurrents of disapproval, chose the path of strategic patience. Understanding that the key to stability lay in fostering a sense of normalcy and tranquility, he kept a watchful eye on the delicate balance between order and dissent, steering the course toward a semblance of peace. After all, in the aftermath of tragedy, what the people yearned for most was the promise of a serene and undisturbed life.
Upon Angel's return to White Moon Castle in Euphorion, a sense of urgency enveloped him. The unforeseen events in Asteria had prolonged his absence, and a mountain of administrative tasks awaited his attention. Stacks of documents, neatly piled yet overwhelming, adorned his desk.
Amidst the formidable workload, the impending coronation of Rose lingered on the horizon. Angel, decisive in his actions, summoned Chancellor Allan to his study room. The knock on the door echoed through the study. Soon, the door creaked open, allowing Chancellor Allan to step into the room.
It was just one day after his return but the king was already behind his desk. Near the king, his trusted assistants, Cley and Claire, navigated the sea of documents that lay scattered across the workspace. Claire, as diligent as ever, sifted through the papers with practiced efficiency, while Cley, the perpetual storm of intellectual fervor, appeared on the verge of an imminent explosion.
Chancellor Allan bowed respectfully to the king. "Your Majesty," he greeted, his tone carrying both formality and warmth. "You summoned me. What brings you to the urgency of my presence?"
Angel did not engage in the customary exchange of pleasantries. Instead, he cut to the heart of the matter, his gaze fixed on the sprawling documents that adorned his desk. "Prince Ilex is dead," he uttered, the words hanging in the air like a heavy shroud.
Chancellor Allan registered the news with a controlled expression, masking any surprise or emotion that may have stirred within him. "Prince Ilex," he echoed, his voice tinged with a measured solemnity. "My condolences, Your Majesty. How did it happen?"
Angel, unfazed by the inquiry, continued his work, penning down the kingdom's affairs with unwavering focus. "He hanged himself," he disclosed, the words cutting through the air, stark and unembellished.
Chancellor Allan extended his condolences once more, "Should we send condolences to King Gervis on behalf of Euphorion?"
Angel, without lifting his eyes, dismissed the suggestion with a curt, "No. I just wanted to inform you," he declared, the weight of the words lingering in the silence that followed, "and allow King Gervis to navigate through his mourning without external obligations."
Then, Angel set down the pen quill, his gaze shifting from the intricate maps to Chancellor Allan. "But I didn't summon you here to discuss Prince Ilex's death," he stated matter-of-factly, catching the chancellor off guard.
Chancellor Allan nodded in understanding. "Of course, Your Majesty. What do you wish to discuss?"
Angel leaned back in his chair, his expression revealing a depth of contemplation. "Rose," he declared. His next words, however, left no room for ambiguity. "I intend to make her my queen," he announced, the proclamation hanging in the air like a sudden shift in the wind.
The declaration landed with unexpected force, enough to break the rhythm of activity in the room. Cley ceased his meticulous work, and even Claire turned her attention to the king. 

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

4