Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 278. Next Queen III
80 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 278. Next Queen III

“I agree.” Chancellor Allan nodded in agreement with Angel's assessment. The potency of the Heart family's poison was legendary, whispered about in hushed tones across the kingdom. Its lethal capabilities and widespread effects made it a weapon of unparalleled destruction. To let such power slip into the wrong hands would spell disaster for Euphorion and its people.

Angel sighed heavily. Leaning back in his chair, he folded his hands across his chest, his brow furrowed in thought. The prospect of convincing the nobles to accept Rose as their queen loomed before him like an insurmountable mountain. The court was a place of tradition and hierarchy, where alliances and bloodlines held great sway. To introduce an outsider, especially one with such a tainted family history, would be met with resistance at every turn.

"It's going to be a tough sell, that's for sure," Angel admitted, his voice tinged with frustration. He knew that convincing the nobles would require careful diplomacy and persuasive arguments. It was a delicate balance between asserting his authority as king and appeasing the concerns of the courtiers.

Rather than Chancellor Allan, it was Claire who answered Angel's statement, her voice soft and tinged with melancholy. “Yes... this won't be easy...” Claire murmured, her words barely more than a whisper. Her response seemed almost involuntary, as if her thoughts had spilled out unbidden from the depths of her mind. Her gaze remained fixed on the documents spread out before her, but it was clear that her thoughts were far from the confines of the study room. Instead, they wandered back to the remnants of her hometown, now nothing more than a memory tainted by the horrors of the past.

The weight of Angel's decision hung heavy in the air, casting a shadow over the room and dampening the spirits of all those present. Claire knew that Rose possessed the qualities befitting of a queen, and she understood Angel's rationale behind the marriage. Yet, the specter of Rose's family poison loomed large in her mind, a constant reminder of the devastation it had wrought upon her homeland.

Angel's keen observation did not miss Claire's somber demeanor, and he immediately regretted bringing up the topic in her presence. “I shouldn't have talked about this in front of you,” he said, his voice tinged with remorse. He recognized the pain that Claire must be feeling. In that moment, he wished he could take back his words and shield Claire from the anguish they had stirred within her.

"No, Your Majesty. This is your castle. You have the right to discuss this," Cley admitted, his voice heavy with the weight of their conversation. He knew that as the king, Angel had the authority to make decisions regarding the kingdom, even ones as difficult as this. Yet, the thought of unleashing the destructive power of the poison weighed heavily on his conscience. "And I have to admit you are right. Still... thinking that there will be another city that will have the same fate as our hometown one day..." His voice trailed off, filled with a mixture of sorrow and apprehension. The memories of their ruined hometown haunted him, a constant reminder of the devastation that the poison had wrought.

Angel listened quietly as Cley expressed his concerns, his expression thoughtful. He understood the gravity of the situation and shared Cley's sentiments about the potential consequences of using the poison. "You think too far, Cley," Angel remarked, his tone gentle but firm. He didn't want to dismiss Cley's worries, but he also knew that dwelling too much on the worst-case scenario would only lead to despair. "I won't use it if I don't have to," he stated firmly, his gaze unwavering. While he couldn't rule out the possibility of using the poison in the future, he was determined to explore other options first.

"Perhaps we can find a way to mitigate its effects or use it as a deterrent," Angel suggested, his mind already turning to possible solutions. He knew that the poison's potency made it a formidable weapon, but he also recognized the need to temper its destructive capabilities. "After all, they have seen the effect," he added, referring to the knowledge that other kingdoms possessed of the poison's devastating power. By leveraging their awareness of the poison's potency, Angel hoped to deter potential adversaries without resorting to its use.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

2