Third Arc (Fallen Heart) – 282. The Court III
77 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Third Arc (Fallen Heart) - 282. The Court III

Amidst the murmurs of confusion and concern, one of the nobles spoke up, his voice tinged with disbelief. "What happened at the party, Your Majesty?" he inquired, his eyes searching Angel's face for answers.

Angel met the noble's gaze with a solemn expression, his mind racing as he carefully considered his response. "I cannot divulge the details of the incident, out of respect for the dignity of the Asteria Royal family and the memory of Prince Ilex," he explained, his tone measured yet firm. For sure, he had planned to use what happened in Asteria to his advantage in the future. In other words, this would be his pawn. Besides, he knew the nobles would find out by themselves soon or later from other kingdoms’ nobles.

The nobles exchanged uneasy glances, grappling with the ambiguity of Angel's words. They knew all too well the complexities of royal politics and the need to uphold appearances, even in the face of tragedy. And yet, the lingering uncertainty only served to fuel their curiosity and concern.

"Forgive my impudence. Does this have anything to do with you, Your Majesty?" the others asked, their voices hushed and cautious. They couldn't help but speculate, knowing the strained history between Prince Ilex and Angel. Their eyes darted between each other, silently exchanging their suspicions.

Angel maintained his composure, meeting their inquiries with a calm demeanor. "King Gervis thought the same thing as you, but he can't prove it," he replied evenly, cutting through the tension with his straightforward response. It was a delicate matter, one that he had anticipated would arise during the meeting.

The noble nodded in understanding, though the skepticism lingered in his expression. It was clear that they were not entirely convinced by Angel's reassurance, but they knew better than to push further on the matter. After all, questioning the king's involvement in such a sensitive issue could have serious repercussions.

“I won't talk too much about this and Prince Ilex's death is not today's main topic,” Angel declared, his tone firm as he closed the chapter on the somber discussion. He could sense the relief among the nobles as they shifted their focus to the next matter at hand. “I invited you to discuss another important matter,” he continued, redirecting their attention to the purpose of the meeting.

"As you know, the queen position has been vacant for a long time," Angel began, his voice commanding the room's attention. The nobles listened intently, their curiosity piqued as they anticipated the revelation that was to follow. "So, I think it's time to appoint a new queen who can help me take care of the castle and this kingdom," he announced, his words carrying the weight of authority.

The nobles' discontent simmered just below the surface as Angel unveiled his intentions to appoint a new queen. The nobles exchanged knowing glances, their minds already arriving at the inevitable conclusion. It was no secret that Rose was the frontrunner for the coveted position. Her presence by Angel's side had been a constant in recent times, leaving little doubt about her suitability for the role.

They shifted uncomfortably in their seats as Angel's words settled over them like a heavy shroud. It was clear that they were not entirely pleased with Angel's proposal, and the tension in the room palpably thickened.

“Isn't that too soon, Your Majesty?” one of the nobles spoke up, his voice laced with skepticism. The sentiment echoed the unspoken reservations that many of them harbored. The idea of appointing a new queen so hastily seemed rash and ill-considered in their eyes.

Angel, however, remained composed in the face of the dissent, his demeanor unwaveringly stoic. “I don't think so,” he responded evenly, his tone measured and deliberate. He was acutely aware of the discontent simmering among the nobles, but he refused to let it sway his resolve. “The last queen that Euphorion had was the late Prince Lucian's mother. That was decades ago,” he continued, offering a rational explanation for his decision.

Once again, the nobles exchanged knowing glances, their skepticism giving way to begrudging acceptance. While they may not have agreed with Angel's timeline, they understood the need for a queen to help govern the kingdom. And with Rose being the obvious choice, it seemed futile to resist the inevitable.

>Read 10 chapter ahead of DM + 2 weekly update

3